Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Has anyone read The Perfect Run and would you recommend it or should I stay away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

I finished it a week or two ago. I didn't like it at first, felt the MC was super juvenile and wasn't really meshing with the snarky dialogue, MC who can't lose and thus zero stakes.

I kept reading because I had heard that it gets better and it absolutely does, the snark and eyerolling humor is really toned down and it's better the more more serious it gets. I would suggest to read until the first major reset and if it's not your thing by then it's not going to be. I enjoyed the back half way, way more than the front half.

Thanks, I had my doubts after the first few chapters but I will definitely stick with it now!

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Unlike a lot of folks here I enjoyed Worm, the flaws didn't bother me much because I enjoyed the worldbuilding and to an extent, the escalating story.

Ward was a slog, especially the first half but I appreciate what Wildbow was trying to do. He points it out himself in his post-Ward essay that he got away from the worldbuilding in Ward because he assumed that readers already understood it from Worm. Unfortunately, he didn't understand at the time that the worldbuilding was probably his strongest element. Moving away from that and trying to make it a character driven piece turned a lot of people off.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
TTOU94: Finally the murder is solved. I'm sure Sands won't be a problem locked in Hab1, just an engineer who knows the ship locked in an entire ring, able to wander around.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I finished Ward but I had a hard time towards the end and was feeling checked out through a lot of it. I didn't have any of those issues with Worm but it was my first dive into webserials and I probably overlooked some messy stuff because the story stayed engaging throughout due to the constant escalation that Wildbow is known for. Ward had some cool ideas but the execution and world building just didn't feel right.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
TTOU125:The old crew is being woken up and I feel like the story is progressing again after what felt like a bit of a lull. I'm thinking whoever is in charge on the planet is telling them not to respond while they figure out how to take advantage of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

fez_machine posted:

Currently reading through the back half of Worth The Candle

Dump your social stats, Shinji

Also a little annoyed at how everyone knows that the world harshly punishes if people do a trick to become long term overpowered and then everyone in the party and the protag goes "wow! you're temporarily overpowered! What if we made this indefinite with a little trick?". Usually, there would be people chiming in about how do we avoid creating great harm and spending page after page discussing the possibilities but there's relatively little to none. It feels bad, like the author wanted to show off this setting element and forced it through.

I just finished this last week so I've been thinking about it as well. I think Juniper ruminates a few times about being railroaded by the DM into making these decisions to force exclusions but ends up deciding that it's pointless to think about it since he can't really know anyway. But yes, the exclusions ultimately end up pushing them towards forced conflict and the conclusion, I think. The ending gets very meta with the reveal of the DM and what the world is, so it does end up mostly explained anyway.

Now to find something else to read