Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

7c Nickel posted:

Dude has apparently written multiple novels about Dwarves before so it has it's own fairly developed setting. It's kind of dry, but I'm fairly certain that's an intentional affect to convey that the Dwarves are slightly alien to humans.

blessed be the writer who pens the dwarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

John Lee posted:

"Sure, maybe the AUTHOR likes it, and the READERS like it, but popular things aren't necessarily good :cool:"

Like, sorry if I'm being overly obvious, but: There are plenty of works in every media sphere that simply do nothing for me, and I really see them as worthless... to me. But the exact opposite thing has happened, where a work is meaningful to me and other people say that it's obviously garbage for idiots, because people are different and find different things valuable. It's a mistake to say that things you see as poorly crafted and/or having no meaningful message are Bad and shouldn't exist - at the very least, the reading audience could simply have not encountered the ideas present before, because they're not big readers/thinkers or they're just kids.

You say that it happens all the time that writers get creative control and then their writing is RUINED because they get to write what and how they want (many such cases! :chaostrump:), but, uh, I bet they don't feel that way.
"Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good!" is exactly what you said up there, but when it's about a writer writing whatever they actually want, but (implicitly) losing some audience because of it, suddenly the popular opinion IS the mark of quality? Either making your work more popular by hewing closer to the median popularity of pacing, plotting, story type, etc. is bad or it's good or it's neither, but TBH it sounds like you're saying "It's bad when it's stuff that, in those changes, got farther from my personal tastes, but good when it produces stuff I like."

please dont let this be the average royal road reader mindset

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i dont think calling something bad ceases it to exist or anything. it's not gonna go up in smoke like that. it's kinda meaningless cuz of course writers gonna write what they wanna write but so what, does every opinion need to be prefaced with in my opinion, for me, to me, i feel

if you know youre reading trash just live up being oscar

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Peachfart posted:

Ignore it and work harder.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

IShallRiseAgain posted:

For example, I find abandoned sub-plots to be frustrating and an example of bad writing even if I completely understand how the writer can write themselves into a corner, realize that its not working, or realize they want to focus on different aspects of the story. The fact that the writer did what was necessary doesn't change the original mistake and the work would be better off without having it in the first place. To be clear, I don't expect web serials to be super tightly edited works. I just think plot lines that get a significant amount of time invested in them should have a payoff and not just randomly meander into non-existence. Little side tangents can be neat even if it doesn't serve the greater narrative.
how do you feel about authors revising abandoned plotlines out later down the road? so you got into a book and the mc's mom owns a candy store but it never comes up again so the mom's rewritten later to be away on business. you remember reading it differently before but thats archive.org now. what do you think?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you could consider physical releases or moving to KU a second draft

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i feel like a CIA agent

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

theres been so much classified posting i was getting ready to goatse bomb. thankfully youve all come to your senses

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

GTSE CH3.22 UPDATE SPOILERS:https://fi.somethingawful.com/flags/e5/30/0000012186.gif?by=-B%20l%20a%20z%20e%20i%20n%20g-

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 26, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i want to hear about the sub ten thousand views people here may be reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Ramie posted:

I read a post by someone saying that he only reads rationalist webfiction because it's the only fiction worth reading. I bet that guy and this guy would be friends.

imagine making GBS threads on this media diet