Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Was there ever an audiobook version of Twig or Pact like there was for Worm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wasn't Glory Girl some sort of human blob shaped monstrosity?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Plorkyeran posted:

I've been rereading it along with the We've Got Worm podcast, which unfortunately didn't quite make it to the end in time. If only they'd started a few weeks earlier.

I've never heard of this podcast before. What's it like?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Armsmaster did nothing wrong

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Blasphemeral posted:

I've heard that the audio book is god-awful, but the podcast (if it's the same podcast that I've heard of?) is actually pretty ok. They're not, as far as I'm aware, by the same people.

I've not listened to either, myself.

They're one and the same, it's referred to interchangably as the podcast / audiobook project.

Virigoth posted:

Has anyone listened to the Worm podcast? Is the quality good?
http://audioworm.rein-online.org/

It's ok, it starts off a little weak but becomes better as time goes on. There's a couple of narrators early on who just do not do their arcs justice.

It's worth what you'll pay for it though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I decided to go back through Pact because I gave up on it somewhere around Arc 9 - I think I talked about it in here at the time.

This series has so much potential but it feels so... rigid.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I blitzed through all of a practical guide to evil and loved it. This being said i feel like I skipped over a lot of subtext between the end of book 3 and the start of book 4.

Black made a lot of very stupid decisions and his fall from grace while fighting the white knight was loving idiotic, it felt very ham fisted that they had a literal "heavens intervening" moment to one shot him when he'd played chess the entire fight and won.

It seemed like the author needed an excuse for black to make a bunch of decisions that was going to set Catherine up to turn on him.

Also: I really don't get what's going on with Catherine's body at all anymore, I know she's a duke of winter now - basically the only one left and that it's literally been turning her into a Fae, but I feel like there's more to it than this and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

tithin fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 27, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'll admit to being extremely reluctant to allowing akua to remain, but this is well done indeed.

The deft narrative spinning that Cat's done here is great because she's functionally turned the heroes into villains, because yes, she is a villain but absolutely everything said here...

SerSpook posted:

And now the Rightful Queen of Callow, as crowned by the Church of Light, as demonstrated on the field of battle, as proven by throwing off the stranglehold of Praes, gets to awaken from a coma to battle foreign usurpers who have been given every chance to retreat and whom the leader of has proven to have not pure intentions--the liberation of Callow from Praes (which has already effectively been done)--but rather intentions of greed.

I legitimately love that out of everyone we've seen in the heads of this entire time, it's only Akua that seems to fully grasp that the Crusaders are not the side of Good or the Heroes in this tale. I mean Catherine definitely planned it that way, but it was enjoyable seeing Akua glory in both being a glorious villain in terms of style, but a Hero in terms of Role in order to kill Heroes.

is spot on. Cat laid the trap, and both the Pilgrim and the Saint had only just started to realise it before deciding to push in for the kill anyway.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prac Guide:

This was all a play by the Grey Pilgrim - I reckon he got her. Now the question is, how does she wiggle out of the narrative?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would read the web serial of Ariel

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

PetraCore posted:

So, what's your problem?

Milky Moor posted:

This is a very dark, very long path. You are not prepared.

Yeah, kinda just - skip going down the Avshalom mind gently caress.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lone Goat posted:

Worth the Candle updated a few more chapters.

Was there an update to Prac Guide after Interlude - We Sing of Rage? I saw a placeholder that the author had some illness and it'd be delayed, but now it's gone and there's no new chapter yet?

new chapter came up overnight

it was good.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Two new Prac Guide out, one interlude one main chapter. main chapter's shorter than I'd like but something struck me about it after the recent development

I reckon that at some point Akua and Cat are going to merge into a single person back into being a human - both have woven their souls into the winter mantle, but Akua's fantastic with Demons, and Cat's fantastic with Necromancy. It should be pretty clear that both are trying to break free of the restraints of their stories, and Cat's already shown that rebirth is one way to do that.

Combine that with the redemption Arc the Grey Pilgrim's trying to run and I think that Cat's got a game on the go to counter him.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SITB posted:

The stolen stuff has a limited pool of unreplenishable power, IIRC she mentions it when she originally takes the power. Eventually she would have ran out of healing juice.

Current Prac Guide: Is the Dead King refusing to step out of his hell a sign of wariness about heavenly backed kill team guided by the Bard? If Black and Scribe's musing were correct and the Bard is meant as a counterforce to the Dead King, then him refusing to set foot in creation seems like him refusing to take any risk unless he has a convenient foil that acts as a heroic lightning rod.

And Akua's info suggests that he isn't as limited while fighting outside Creation.

Theory:

I don't know where the theory about the bard being an anti-dead king power came from, but it makes sense if you consider that she stepped in to save Akua from the Fae, probably with foreknowledge of what would be needed to end the king.

Cat's playing into the Bards long time game without realising it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Whoever called out that the Wandering Bard was intimately tied with the Dead King

take a bow.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

can't quite tell whether this is Heirophant brute forcing the ability to cast miracles via aspect, or using the aspect to witness the scene in full.

Or both.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You know, if I'm reading that chapter correctly, the Bard - asides from having been around since the dawn of names - has basically implied she's been bestowed by neither above nor below - but both.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prac guide:

That pronouncement has the Tyrant's hand all over it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Tyrant's a fiend who isn't satisfied unless he's causing maximum chaos.

He's got his hands in pies and places that a villain by rights shouldn't be able to touch.

His MO is that if he's going to hit something to cause chaos, he wants to hit as many targets as possible - so simply look at how many got hosed politically to get an understanding of who's likely to have started it.

A bunch of heroes just got retroactively declared persona non grata. That hurts good in the long run.

One of the longest standing heroes, so long standing that he's functionally a cornerstone in many stories - as well as a whole branch of the church of the light - just got declared heretics.

Catherine, and everyone aligned to her, just got made public enemy number one to every hero on the planet. That fucks Malicia, Black and Catherine.

The question is, who wins out of this? and the answer is the tyrant - he views the whole Callow situation and everyone in it with the utmost contempt.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ytlaya posted:

The Tyrant is a kick-rear end dude and I won't tolerate anyone saying otherwise. He's like if you took someone from outside the story and inserted them into the story with the intent to just have as much fun as possible. I have trouble even thinking of him as evil, because he interacts with the world he lives in as if it were the same fiction we're reading.

Oh he absolutely is.

Very fond memories of his Betrayal of Black - "I'm betraying you now!"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I suppose charging money for something people can get for free elsewhere is one of the oldest tricks of capitalism.

sorry bud, you're in the wrong here.

It's basically a form of advertising for the free product. Were he serious about making money from it, I'd have expected a physical edition.

As it stands, it worked because I'm now going to read the free edition, which I haven't touched before.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Whereas I'm finding TWI to decline in quality drastically.

I'm up to 2.19, and my opinion of it dropped drastically due to the "patreon reward" that's got vivid depictions of gnoll / drake ding dongs.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Gitro posted:

If that's also the one where Erin is comically courted by a bunch of people then I'm reasonably sure that's the low point and never happens again, having read to the start of vol 4.

It's a real bad chapter though

I hope so. I'm still reading, but it severely deflated my tenuous enjoyment of it up to then.

I have a few problems with this one that I can't quite put into words yet. It's enjoyable, I like the overall feel of it, but there's a few things that just sour it immensely.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

builds character posted:

PracGuide how much of this is black’s plan?

Absolutely none of it.

My take: Malicia just made a terrible, terrible, error.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TWI: 3.00E and 3.01E are oddly sweet. I'd have much less of a problem with the whole "uplift the savages" theme of the story, if it were more of a love story between a blind man and a half ogre.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Omi no Kami posted:

That has been by far my biggest criticism of the story as a whole. It feels meandering at times, and there's stuff I wish had been paced/edited differently, but for the most part it's fun... but every single time Erin mistakes "different" for "inferior" and tries to make Liscor more like North America I start skimming.

(I can't remember where this happened, so assume spoilers through TWI arc 3)

The bit where she introduced abrahamic religion to the borg is probably the most frustrated I've ever been with a character in that story; I know she's portrayed as impulsive and shortsighted sometimes, but it baffles me that she couldn't see any potential downside to teaching a downtrodden feudal society about religion.

That scene actively made me angry

Frankly, I'm just tired of Erin, and how "special" she is. Everyone comments on it, everyone says it. Everyone forgives her mistakes because she's so special.

I don't use the phrase mary sue often, but god drat do I feel like she is one

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not sure I fully understood the conversation between cat and akua, but i am not feeling great thanks to this cold, so maybe I'll re-read it later

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That was a really really good chapter of Prac Guide

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wasn't the exiled prince not explicitly named?

I recall it being more a title, than a mantle.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well now, that was one hell of an ending to the update.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

No!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

YOU CHEATING MOTHERFUCKERS

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New Prac Guide

Cat begins building her Winter Court, having the Drow auction themselves to her in exchange for title and power in the winter court. Drow Fae are a hell of a thing to contemplate.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prac Guide:

That'll show people who thought there was a long leash and endless tolerance.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm surprised there's not been much talk about these last two Prac Guide interludes - that last one in particular seems extremely portentious.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SITB posted:

PracGuide: I am pretty sure she doesn't think he would actually be able to conquer the rest of Calernia; she just wants him to shatter Procer itself or the Grand Alliance so they couldn't attack Praes.

It is playing with fire though (not to mention all the deaths of Procer civilians and the Grand Alliance forces), but she doesn't care about them as long as Procer losses the ability to wage war on Praes. Now, if Black dies the she will vow to burn Procer to the goddamn ground.

I don't reckon Malicia's realised how badly she hosed up in that deal.

Black hates the very idea of the hidden horror. Doesn't trust him. knows that dealing with him will get your rear end declared on by every loving named hero on the continent - and doing a deal like that?

That Cat would treat with him would horrify him, that Malicia would do a deal like that, would break him - it would be a betrayal of both of their proclaimed principals.

I'm putting this in spoilers because it's just my thoughts on where this is going but I see this story arc ending with a very succesful rescue of black... that ends with the rest of the calamities except Ranger (who won't be there) dying, and then Black finding out about the deal and killing Malicia himself.

Procer will go up in flames when the Dead King's forces finally arrive, and the showdown to end all showdowns will begin

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

lurksion posted:

Hierophant telling a capital G-od (not even a choir) to shut up, and then Warlock kicking it in the mouth certainly is something. Full on divine intervention certainly is messy. There's definitely a power up in the works for witnessing that

That was a loving incredible chapter.

With how often the Choirs seem to interfere with mortal business, it's been a damned shame watching under do seemingly nothing.

that they chose to intervene now, in the manner that they did is just :discourse:

I am in love with this chapter. I really am.

and the final line.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

lurksion posted:

Practical Guide's continuing insistence on hiding the plan from the reader is starting to get annoying four books in.

Mmm, "the plan" was there if you were paying attention to the periphery.

The fact that Cat worded the vows in such a way that the peerage were loyal to the title of Moonless Nights, and not herself as an individual as well as the subsequent conversation with Akua, gave it away that there was a plan in play, even if we didn't know what it was.

I suspect that this will follow the pattern that has been established thus far.

Cat comes into power.
Cat mutilates herself and loses access to the power.
Cat comes back into the fullness of that power and makes a lot of people really loving regret loving with her.

If she doesn't stomp in Sve Noc's skull by the end of this, as she did William's, I'll be very disappointed.

A friend of mine is convinced she's going to be Triumphant Mk2 by the end of this Arc.

edit: something that just struck me, she's now nameless, powerless... the name of The Black Queen can still be claimed. She's about due to wrap up those outstanding plot points.

As an aside, it was interesting to me the new commentary from Erraticerata in the comments..

erraticerata posted:

So, announcement! I’ll make an official post at some point, but here’s the gist of it. Book IV has ended up significantly larger than I’d planned for, and would be ridiculously large if I kept to my original outline. Instead the latter half is going to be Book V, which will bring the Guide series to a total of six books instead.

Since we’re in the last stretch of what is going to be Book IV, as a minor note the character contest is going to be sped up a bit (so it will end with the book instead of remain in limbo between books).

tithin fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 26, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know about this. We know that people don't choose their fae titles, and Catherine had Fall even before getting the Winter mantle (which was basically the same sort of thing as Moonless Night, as they're both her Domain). So we basically know that this Moonless Night stuff is somehow fundamental to who Catherine is, since it's her Domain. Catherine isn't just a Callow partisan (that's Thief, as far as members of the Woe go). She's even said herself that she doesn't strictly identify with Callow in the same way as other Callowans. She wants to do good by Callow, but there's something else at the core of who she is and her motives. Given what we know, it's kinda impossible by definition for someone to receive a fae title that doesn't represent who they "actually are," and that's ignoring that I think she got Fall before the mantle.

Also, even the relatively small portion of Winter she can safely use (without risk of principle alienation) is vastly stronger than anything all but the absolute strongest Named are capable of. Like she said herself, you could count the number of Named in Calernia who could defeat her on one hand (that's probably missing a few fingers). And I think she said that before becoming even better at using her power. The principle alienation is only an issue if she wants to start fighting like a ridiculous army-destroying demigod, and it's an issue that was largely self-imposed by her previously not choosing to develop a Court.

As a principle point, as I am re-reading Prac guide at the minute (just past the Summer Fae's repelled invasion of Liesse)

Moonless Nights was chosen for her by the King of Winter.

Her first meeting with him, after scraping through a victory against the Duke of Violent Squalls has him absently carving a sculpture of ice. When she mouths off to him and he pulls out her heart, she looks at it and the object he was carving was a moon. It replaced her heart and functioned as it moving forward.

He then named her the Duchess of Moonless Nights.

my memory of subsequent points is hazy, I seem to recall her getting her actual human heart back but I might be misremembering.

To be clear, the reason I'm making the point about choice is that your earlier comment sort of indicates that the Fae title given is reflective of the individual recieving it, and while that may be the case, explicitly for Cat, the title was chosen by the king of winter.

Maybe he saw something in her that made him think that this was the best fit for her as an individual, but even walking into that conversation he had a plan in place to make her the Duchess of Moonless Nights, long before she walked into Arcadia.

Likewise important to note that Cat didn't choose any specific titles for individuals after the fact, nor did she choose to do the whole heart replacey thing either... which lends credence to the fact that her title, both in nature and in the way it was granted, was anything but normal.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prac guide:

God, I missed this version of Cat. and the ending :discourse:

Lone Goat posted:

Didn't Bonesaw do something like this to Grue, where he was all unraveled and like his nerve endings were all over a kitchen or something? in Worm?

She did. It was the basis of his second awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Man, I caught some real Tyrant shades from her that entire chapter, just, the same level of insanity.