Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Just finished "The Gods are Bastards". Lots of amazing characters, but the plot really was all over the place. Anyone else reading it?

I also really have to recommend the Android app "Offline Browser Pro"- it makes reading online serials on planes so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
The Daily grind is quite interesting, and since everyone else is special, they don't need to level particularly fast-

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Super minion on Royal Road is trending pretty good. About a supervillain's experiment that escapes just as mutant season is starting. Not LitRPG.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

navyjack posted:

Skyclad, Chrysalis, The Snake Report (possibly on hiatus between books), Super Minion, The Scourged Earth, The Simulacrum.

Oh God, and I feel bad for putting it out there, but The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound. It’s...not good, but it’s Worm-sized, so it’ll keep you out of trouble for a couple months.

Those are all good, also

Homicidal Aliens are Invading and All I Got is This Stat Menu
I Am Going To Die (In This Game-Like Dimension)
The Salamanders

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Hungry posted:

So, I've been writing a web serial for almost nine months now, called Katalepsis.

This was fantastic- you should seriously try for more recognition (Mirror to royal road, etc), you're worth it. Backed on Patreon.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

He literally platforms and promotes people that believe in phrenology lmao

He's a coordination point for the sane.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Grognan posted:

Found Super Minion which is a nice drabble about Prototype-esque minion in a superhero setting escaping and getting a job. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21410/super-minion

Yeap, this is good. You get the district impression that there's some serious world building behind the scenes.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

LLSix posted:

What are some good LitRpgs? I'm looking for the ones with stat boxes, character sheets and explicit skill levels. I am not looking for cultivation stories. I've read a lot of them and am looking for something a little bit different.

If you like Threadbare you will probably like Cinnamon Bun.

I personally feel that The New World and Randidly Ghosthound are classics of the genre.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm a third of the way into Cinnamon Bun over on royal road and it's adorable.

There's like 100 more chapters on the Patreon. I couldn't resist.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Shade Touched, on RR, about a small evil cat-sized swarming monster that gains intelligence and insatiable curiosity, is insanely adorable.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Just read and liked 'Demesne' by Shadow Crystal Mage on RR. Kinda like it- it's about an incredibly goony lady wizard and her long-suffering second in command, trying to build a community far from civilization in a extremely lethal environment.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

PoorWeather posted:

Oh hey, I placed pretty highly here! I'd probably feel better about it if it weren't for HPMOR at number 2 though.

HPMOR is the the best piece of fiction ever written, FYI.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

What ratfic readers want is characters who laboriously narrate their perspective and decision making

If first person, yes, but not because I don't understand subtext, it's because otherwise it feels like the characters don't have an inner life at all.

If not first person, also yes, because then it removes from the author an opportunity to cheat by not describing plans.

(Obviously rationalist fiction is vastly superior to all other fiction for many other reasons as well)

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Patrick Spens posted:

The Gods are Bastards is good if you really hate the idea of anything of consequence happening and also are vexed by feminists. Otherwise I can't recommend.

I liked it while the ancient wizard principal was clowning on modern governments. After they said she had to adapt to modern times, I dropped it.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I'm recently reading TIME TO ORBIT: UNKNOWN, which is a novel about a colonization attempt going incredibly wrong. The main character wakes up from cryosleep to a *situation*, which proceeds to get worse.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

akulanization posted:

rationalist fiction, in that it is influenced by the same nexus of ideas that produced Big Yud and his awful harry potter rewrite

Eliezer Yudkowsky is the world's greatest living writer, bar none. If anything, he originated a specific genre which we today call rationalist fiction.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

awesmoe posted:

Sometimes I wish I'd found this story 30 years from now and could read Alden's freshman high school year in one go

Also it will take a year to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Thanks, reading hose spoilers made it extremely unlikely I'll ever read this story again.