Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

John Lee posted:

haha but really is 'fellow' masculine because if so there's somebody I need to apologize to

If you use it to refer to a person or persons informally (eg 'that fellow over there', 'me and the fellows') then its got a masculine implication, otherwise it's generally agender ('my fellow coworkers, who are research fellows').

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, what are your favorite "numbers go up" serials? I'm a simple man, and I like it when there's systems to be exploited and lines to trend up. They don't have be litRPG; a sufficiently crunchy cultivation or progression fantasy could fit the bill. Right now I'm following Ar'Kendrithyst, Delve, Super Supportive, Bog Standard Isekai, and Ave Xia Rem Y.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Oh wait, gently caress. Super Supportive. Super Supportive. I only just now got the joke in the name. Goddammit.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm totally fine with all the SupSup blackbars, speaking as a RR reader. They're only annoying when people are doing chains of replies without clearly marking what chapter their spoilers are about.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

if bog standard doesnt take place in a literal bog then that story is worthless

A standard bog, even.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

While we're recommending stuff, I've been enjoying Spire Dweller. You, see its a cultivation story, but there's also litrpg elements! Wait, where are you going I didn't finish there's also a tower they climb and

In all seriousness, it's a well executed "plucky youngster does adventure and also numbers go up" story. The cultivation and litrpg elements do what they're good at, and the tower setup is a surprisingly well done mystery-box. A solid B+.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

arcs01 posted:

I'm glad you like it!

I really like how book 8 ended. Book 9 is going well, too. I hope the RR people enjoy it as much as patreon people seem to be enjoying it.

(this is my first post here, so hello to others that read Ar'Kendrithyst, and everyone else too. I heard from Selki a while ago that people here read my story, so I've been lurking for a while now.)

I really enjoy the series! It's what got me into reading stuff on RoyalRoad, actually. It definitely set a high bar.

I should also catch up with it. I binged up to about ch 124 and figured that the lull in the action was a good time to reclaim my free time.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

arcs01 posted:

this is about the only thread i check, tho.

Probably for the best

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

shades of blue posted:

super supportive is weak because nothing that is going on right now (or that has been going on since getting back to Earth) matters on any level compared to everything before then. this has the unfortunate effect that every new character thats introduced feels lesser compared to every character from before - everything happening right now in the story just has so much less narrative weight and so all of the characters lack substance as well.

shades of blue posted:

theres also something to be said about how alden has been less affected by things than he probably should have been if you wanted to make a more slice of life-y arc after a traumatizing arc feel better and maintain more of the narrative weight of the prior arc so that the new characters could inherit some degree of that but idk im not a writer

Counterpoint: It's fine. I like where the story has gone, and enjoy the new characters. It's a perfectly decent slice of life coming of age arc. (SupSup 80 RR spoilers) For instance, I really liked the range of reactions all the new characters had to getting into the fancy school. It was interesting to see Alden's traumatic disassociation contrasted with everyone else's glee. I particularly like the moment when Alden got a bit put-out and surprised by Maricel going bubbly.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 10, 2023

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If y'all could tag what your spoilers are about, that'd be great, thank you.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Reincarnated as the Weakest Seagull Cry, But My Cheat Vibrations Made me Unrivaled

DACK FAYDEN posted:

write it like it's a news headline. SEAGULLS: when they cry

Seagulls: You Won't Believe This Sound They Make!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

nrook posted:

I also read the latest book in When Immortal Ascension Fails Time Travel to Try Again, a xianxia series where the main character went back in time. I actually think this one gets much better as it continues, so it's worth pushing through even if you find Lin (the protagonist)'s narration grating. At the beginning she's grumpy and judgmental in a way that feels a bit unsympathetic, and most of the side characters are bad people, but once the series introduces more sympathetic characters there's more for her to bounce off of.

It's good dumb fun. Lin is a weird little gremlin, and watching her hiss and claw every time xianxia bullshit pops up is good times.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

.Z. posted:

pirate could probably get a generative ai trained on their style with the amount of content they’ve got out. Then just feed it plot points and edit the result.

Please. You're like the third useless earnest AI Guy I've seen randomly pop up in the threads i follow recently. Everyone always hates this line of discussion. Just... drop it :reject:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's also the possibility that Alden is just inherently something of a Special Boy, given that he resisted Hannah's stasis back in his childhood. Unless there was an explanation for that somewhere that I missed.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Peachfart posted:

But I hope you have a good memory because the story eventually expects you to remember a cast of characters that reach into the hundreds.

This reminds me, one of the things I like about Ave Xia Rem Y is that every chapter ends with a little section that lists all the characters and gives them a pithy little summary. It's a nice refresher on the occasional characters, and the summaries are often entertaining their own right.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ar'Kendrithyst - Portal fantasy with a fairly unique setting. Has a neat magic system that goes very big. Lots of content.
Ave Xia Rem Y - Cultivation lit played strait, but well-written with most of the usual objectionable bits torn out.
Spire Dweller - A non-standard cultivation fic with a bit of litRPG mixed in. A very good "powers go up" series. I thought it would be cliche, but was surprised how fresh it felt.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Bremen posted:

I tried reading Spire Dweller once and the first few chapters seemed like the most unimaginative power fantasy LitRPG ever. Does it get better?

It generally hits its stride once the main character gets back to civilization and starts getting herself into trouble. Overall, it's a good unchallenging progression fantasy, through and through.

I personally like it a lot! But I'd be the first to admit that my tastes in this sort of thing are kind of basic.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 19, 2023

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

Web Serials: I'm not good at this whole "reading" business.

I'm confused, why would the subtitle just be "Web Serials" again?

Haystack fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 11, 2024

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SupSup 109: I'm glad they're getting into how utterly, completely unhinged people would get once hereditary superpowers became a thing.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I always appreciate it when people take the time to share the stories they like, even if they're not to my personal taste.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ahahaha, just sunk in that in Super Suportive, the Artonans gave humans hereditary superpowers and super-expensive immortality. They might as well have just stuck humanity in a big jar and shook it up if they were gonna be that committed to seeing humanity tear itself to bits.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

- Early Contract negotiations apparently prioritized making those kids as destructive as possible, even though nobody actually wants that. Brute is the most common power, mid ranks are almost never summoned, and no off island nations want them. Stuff like Rabbit or Healer are in high demand both on and off planet, but are rarely given out.

Was it humans who set those ratios? If so then yeah, that's kind of weird. If it was Artonans who set that, then I'd guess that they want a large military reserve. You might not need to summon bunch of Brutes all that often, but when there's a huge chaos outbreak then that could be pretty critical.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SupSup 115: Awww, I'm glad that Alden has gotten to the "yell funny sounds at each other" stage of teenage friendship :3:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Bremen posted:

Really? (Supsup 115 I guess, more real world highschools) My highschool definitely didn't have guards or barriers to prevent students from walking out if they wanted. It was in fact relatively common for students with cars to take a free period at various times in the day and drive away to do other stuff up to and including part time jobs. Having guards to keep you inside sounds weird to me, like it would be less a school than a prison. So it didn't seem strange at all to me that Alden was able to just walk away when he felt he had a good reason, though based on my experience his guardian would get a call afterwards informing her he missed classes.

(Supsup 115) Yeah, same with my high-school. I mean, the administrators really didn't like it and you got punished for it after the fact, but there was no one stopping you from just walking out.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Bremen posted:

I'm pretty sure Aulia isn't blind to what a spoiled and narcissistic child Hazel has become, and realizes continuing to try to treat her as the favored one is only making it worse. Plus, according to Lute Aulia's goal is to impress the Artonans and make her family the default source for chainers, and at the rate Hazel is going sooner or later she's going to offend the Artonans pretty terribly too. Aulia may be hoping that actually holding Hazel responsible will be better for her in the long run, or just considering cutting her losses. You don't become shady mafia head of an island of superhumans by being stupid.

And Aulia has her whole thing going where she thinks Alden is going to be super important. I'd call it superstition like the other characters do but in this case we know she's pretty much right. She might honestly care more about establishing bonds with Alden than she does about Hazel.

There's also the fact that Alden is very firmly in Lute's orbit. Even if Lute isn't on board for her whole "monopolize wordchains," scheme, he's still an S-Class Chainer with a well-established spine and a questionable relationship with the family. Playing diplomatic with him is just smart, even if it's at the cost of burning Hazel a little faster than she would have on her own. Besides, from Aulia's perspective, Alden showing up in Lutes corner is going to look more and more like divine provenance backing Lute.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It's kind of an open question just how blind Aulia is to the stresses among her family. Personally, I suspect that she's pretty aware of them. I think that it's certainly possible that she's deliberately stoked the infighting among the Velra, with long-term aim of sorting out the winners and losers via how the gloss favors them.

But, yeah, she's probably too narcissistic to to realize that the Gloss could work against her in favor of the rest of the family.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Wittgen posted:

I think we don't understand what resource it is that Artonan resource worlds are providing. Sure, it's Avowed. But what makes Avowed high value? It ties into chaos, but it's not just that.

We've got some testimony (mostly by Joe, I believe) that the function of the Avowed has been subject to major debate and change over time. Originally it seems like the Avowed were intended to be some sort of mass-manufactured Knight equivalent, with things like Bearer of All Burdens allowing Avowed to get up to moon-smashing levels. In modern times, it seems like Avowed seem an awful lot like a convenient pool of servants.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm guessing Lexi's enhancements are very frontloaded on the "do not loving murder yourself or anyone else by accident" spectrum.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Quote is not edit!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Interesting note on Super Supportive.

Today, March 25, 2024, is the day that Alden is born in universe.

lol, loving noob

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I get the feeling that I would have loving loved Perfect Run when I was younger.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LLSix posted:

I've been rereading the web serial (comic) Order of the Stick. Anyone got suggestions for similarly lighthearted fun stories?

Can you believe the first page was posted way back in 2003?

This Quest is Broken! has similar vibes. Lady gets a quest to get bread from the bakery, universe conspires to stop her.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LLSix posted:

I've been rereading the web serial (comic) Order of the Stick. Anyone got suggestions for similarly lighthearted fun stories?

Can you believe the first page was posted way back in 2003?

When Immortal Ascension Fails Time Travel to Try Again is a good dumb fun cultivation parody.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

fez_machine posted:

Skibidi Toilet

This gen alpha youtube animation hit is a web serial and hits the exact same pulpy pleasures of web serials. Change my mind.

Also this:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I've been enjoying The Stubborn Skill-Grinder In A Time Loop, which topped rising stars recently on RR. It's among the more progression focused progression fantasies, which is frankly what I want most of the time. It's fun, fairly well written, and lacks the grim tone that turns me off a lot of time loop stories. Watching a meathead repeatedly mash his face into his problems until Number Go Up is pretty satisfying.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The scope of the story starts expanding once it hits chapter 6 or so. To spoil a bit, the MC achieves the big quest, finds out that he's still in the time loop, and has a modest existential crisis slash hissy fit. From that point on he strikes out and starts making more and more of a nuisance of himself, opening up the setting quite a bit. Eventually the MC start facing some more genuine challenges.

Now, I will say that there's never any real tension. Even in the cases where Orodan could potentially get mindfucked or whatever, there's no metanarrative doubt that he won't just just bull through it. However, I'm personally ok with that! I've frequently disliked timeloop stories that go out of way to constantly inflict trauma and setbacks on their protagonists, so reading a story that goes for the exact opposite tone feels refreshing, I suppose.

And, yeah, the story is a very unapologetic Numbers Go Up progression fantasy wherein the protagonist asspulls shiny new powerups to overcome their problem of the moment. That never stops, so caveat emptor.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

tithin posted:

Stubborn skill grinder is just, genuinely, a funny story.

Absolutely everyone's just genuinely frustrated by this dumb as hell kid who's somehow lucked into a formula that with more time to come will see him substantially more powerful than the gods.

I'm legitimately looking forward to whatever dumb bullshit ability he gets out of his cleaning spree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Honestly, it's closest to Neir: Automata, setting-wise.