Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Angharad finds out about the murder of Isabel and freaks out, so yes. On her being dumb... well, after she has lost her ability to be a swordswoman, at least she realizes she has literally nothing else to bring to the table aside from her contract.

Yeah, it seems like this has all come to a bit of a head recently, with Angharad finally being forced to do some soul-searching.

babydonthurtme posted:

SS150
Also glad to see Boe briefly again, gotta say that guy gets the rawest deals despite not being in the orbit of life-threatening disaster as often as Alden has. Appearing naked somewhere you don't know with strangers everywhere around you is 100% nightmare fuel.

I also felt like Alden was kind of being weirdly unempathetic about this really bizarre and hosed up situation Boe suddenly finds himself in. I guess it's just reflective of how hosed up Alden's own mental state is at the moment.

I liked the conversation with Jeremy, because it was one of those very understandable awkward situations. Alden naturally felt bad for essentially ranking his friends, but he had completely failed to consider how abnormal his own situation is, where he literally doesn't have any (human) family beyond Connie and his friends. So Jeremy also feels kind of awkward and then they both realize why they each feel awkward and just kind of decide to move on from it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cumpantry posted:

i want to hear about the sub ten thousand views people here may be reading

Skill Thief is the one I've been reading and keep posting about - https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/72327/skill-thief-the-color-of-another-world-litrpg

It's unquestionably the biggest gap between quality and (low) popularity that I've ever encountered. I'm going to be pretty crushed if it ends up getting discontinued, because it's absolutely one of the top few serials I've read (PracGuide is #1 and I'd say that #2 and #3 are a toss-up between SupSup and Skill Thief).

I think it might be hurt a bit by the fact that it sort of advertises itself as a "progression" series while not actually being structured like one. Based off of the title, you'd assume that the protagonist uses his skill thievery to become really powerful, but in practice his progression is far slower and dependent on him being clever and/or working with others. There also isn't much quantification to the various powers involved, despite there technically being a "system."

Probably my only minor criticism is that it frequently does this thing where the protagonist keeps his plans secret from the reader, despite being written in first-person. But this doesn't really bother me because there's usually a good pay-off once his plans are revealed. Despite still being pretty short, there have already been multiple extremely cool scenes where there's some sort of big climax/pay-off to a tense situation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Megazver posted:

I must admit I tried the first few chapters and it seemed extremely mid. I might give it another look eventually.

I would say that if someone isn't interested after the end of the first arc or two they're probably not going to find it interesting later, but it definitely starts a bit slow with the first few chapters (since the basic core of the premise doesn't even make itself known until chapter 5+). The second "arc" ends around chapter 14.

I say "arc or two" mainly because a big part of what I like about it is the core cast, and no one other than Tenver is introduced until the second arc. Solara is amazing but isn't introduced until said second arc.

Another element that is kind of a slow burn is the protagonist himself, who is a very weird guy for reasons that are later elaborated on and made relevant to the story.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Imo the writing in Skill Thief is overly dramatic and it falls into the trap of being a story where everyone is a dick to everyone. And for me, that gets old fast.

I don't mean to sound overly defensive, but I don't think this is really the case beyond the first few chapters (and Lord Aspreay being a bad person is just completely reasonable given his personality and circumstances)? I'm actually struggling to think of anything beyond the early scene of the guards/Aspreay treating Adam badly that really fits this. And even Aspreay is a pretty nuanced character; one thing I actually appreciate with him is that the story basically says "yeah he's nuanced, and that still doesn't excuse anything he's done." Future arcs actually involve (very minor/vague characterization spoilers) anti-cynicism character growth for the protagonist (who begins the series very cynical for some pretty good reasons related to his personal history).

Despite liking it (and it being written by the author of my #1 favorite web serial), I would actually levy this exact same criticism more-so against Pale Lights. The constant level of suspicion and scheming between characters can get kind of exhausting, even though it makes perfect sense given the circumstances.

And the opposite of the overly cynical view, where every non-antagonist character talks like a person with all the same assumptions/values as a middle-class American liberal circa ~2020, is similarly problematic and basically a drastic over-correction to the overly cynical stuff (and I would argue that in recent years the "I'm so happy people are finally just being kind and reasonable to each other!" stuff has basically become its own stereotype that "flattens" things in a way that is almost as offensive as the most misanthropic isekai WNs). In the same way as it's frustrating to see characters have unnecessary conflict stemming from poor communication, it's even worse to just boil all friction down to people being unreasonable and poor at communication.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Outcast in Another World is wrapping up now, and I think it stuck the landing way better than I expected it to.

Kinda sad that we won't get to see Duran visiting Earth, though.