Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Could also try, say, /r/noveltranslations and /r/rational. You'll need those people as well if you want to succeed.

I'd give your stuff a look but I don't have PMs, I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Does Ryoka in Wandering Inn ever become less obnoxious (or have her behavior portrayed as a negative thing, at least)? I think I trust the author to deal with her well, but it can be hard to tell sometimes with characters like this.

I find that it's often difficult to interpret antisocial characters in media written by/for nerdy people, since behavior that is really rude in reality is interpreted by many nerdy people (who are often antisocial themselves and unwilling to view that as a negative trait) as just being a personal quirk, if not an outright positive trait.

(Just to be clear, I'm not referring to the shyness itself so much as the "everyone else is terrible and obnoxious" sorta misanthropy.)

edit: By the way, is Ryoka supposed to be half-Japanese or is it just a coincidence that her name could be a Japanese one?

Characterization in TWI is p. clumsy at times (I try to be forgiving about these more difficult aspects being a bit rough in web novels, what with them technically being serialised first drafts) but the author defibitely intends it as a big character flaw. You can see by the end of Book 1. And yeah, I believe she's a, to put it in proper fantasy terms, demi-Asian.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
She. Like, duh, have you read it? :)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sharktamer posted:

Bit of a long shot but is there an iPhone app that lets me read all/any of these?

Convert them to epub, read them with whatever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/3fgjsz/convert_web_novels_to_epubpdf/

Unsong is already available as epub.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've read the cleaned-up Amazon version of [url=http://www.ironteethserial.com/web-serial/The Iron Teeth: A Goblin's Tale[/url] and it's pretty simple, but enjoyable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Mother of Learning updated, btw.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jade Mage posted:

It might be that I'm starved for reading material at work right now, but I read the entire backlog in the past 4ish days and it's real good and only gets better. Though I've skipped like every interlude but two.

It's light-weight, but fun, and eminently readable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He should have just stopped writing for a few months and edited Worm full-time. I doubt it'd even be a problem with the Patreon people, especially if they got sent re-edited poo poo depending on their contributions.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

That's a horrible idea. He's already been editing Worm for years alongside Pact and Twig, and publishing that even in pieces would defeat the purpose of shopping it around for publication. Publishers don't want something that's already been distributed.

He enjoys writing so I don't see why he'd need to spend time away from it.

I am assuming he's probably going to self-pub. If he wanted to go tradpub, he would have gone it a long time ago. There days, selfpubbers whose books became successful get them signed by publishers anyway.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Like I said, publishers republish breakout self-pub titles all the time now. Anthony Ryan's Blood Song, Jonathan French's Grey Bastards, Josiah Bancroft's Senlin Ascends, Michael McClung's The Thief Who Pulled On Trouble's Braids are just some books that I am personally aware that were all self-published on Amazon, did well, then got pretty good offers. poo poo just needs to be popular enough that they think it'd make money for them and wildbow is, like, the biggest serial guy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've started reading A Practical Guide to Evil and it's pretty dope but boy is there a lot of it. I've been chopping away at it for days now and I'm still less than halfway through the epub I turned it to. Page 821 out of 1821, yeesh. I think if/when the author publishes it, he's better off breaking up the second volume, at least, in two and selling them separately.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
New Mother of Learning's out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The protagonist winning conflicts every time they're tested and the protagonist eating poo poo for the duration of the story then barely squeaking out a win at the end are are equally valid storytelling approaches.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
TBH I recently gave it a go and dropped it after ten chapters or so. I imagine it might get better eventually but eh, I've got other, actually good poo poo to read.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Affi posted:

I'm honestly creeped out by how well she writes depression. Like is she just writing Erin from her own experiences? Cause Erin is depressed as gently caress.

She's on internet, so probably.

quote:

Also new mother of learning is out!

I love this story more then I should! It was admittedly a bit crap in the beginning but the adventures and the blatant cheating and the grand plans are kinda fun! And heists!

Mother of Learning is dope.

quote:

I think I have it figured out though Red Robes identity. It's one of Zachs simulacrums that broke off. We keep having the characters talk about murderous simulacrums and Zach is honestly kinda unhinged to begin with. That is my theory at least!

cough

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Affi posted:

Well drat it. Or rather yeah that is exactly my thoughts on it.

Only issue is where does the simulacrum start the reset? It fought Zach once at his home when he was just getting dressed so probably not in the same room.

I have another theory. The reset doesn't start when Zorian or Zach wakes up. It starts while they are asleep. And I wonder what will happen if Zorian trains himself to control his sleep and wakes up right as the loop starts.

Will he find red robe?

I mean, at this point I am pretty sure Red Robe left the simulation?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've been reading Threadbare (Royal Road, Amazon) and it's pretty good. It's about a teddy bear who got turned into a one-of-a-kind sentient golem, who's trying to protect the little girl he was made for in a fantasy world that's gone to poo poo. It's an LitRPG, but not a particularly obnoxious one - TBH I mostly just skip the numbersy bits. The writing and characterization are competent, despite the insane daily rate at which the author releases new chapters. It's pretty Paddington, with glimmers of Pratchett occasionally shining through.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CaptainJuan posted:

I will never not recommend Ra. Fairly short so if you hate it, youve only wasted a few days

The author has mentioned he's been reworking it to create a better ending, like, a year ago. Don't know where he is with that now.

Personally, I'd suggest Practical Guide to Evil and Mother of Learning. These are the two best ones, IMO.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Oh, also, Unsong. Just remember it's okay to fast forward through the qabbala pun sections. The numerous, extensive qabbala pun sections.

EDIT:

https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/

https://qntm.org/ra

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

Finally caught all the way up in Practical Guide to Evil. What a great serial. Now I feel empty inside though, like I do whenever I catch up to the current end of a serial/series. Oh well, think I'll tackle Wandering Inn next.

I wanna say that for Mother of Learning, I really hope that the series doesn't end right when the main characters get out of the loop. I wanna see what they do with their incredible knowledge and abilities in the real world, goddamn it!

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see them resolve all the big problems (invasion, necromancer, his brother probably dying, etc) once they're out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

So I just got to the part of Mother of Learning where the nature of the time loop was revealed, and I find it a little strange that (probably not necessary since this is from chapter 50-something, but spoilers just in case) Zorian doesn't seem particularly bothered by the fact that all the non-Zach people he's interacting with, like Kirielle, Kael, etc, are all totally doomed and definitely gonna die.

He does like Phil did it in Groundhog Day, by not dwelling too much on what happens to everyone else after the loop reset. The nature of the loop itself doesn't really matter here, it's weird no matter what, but, likewise, there's nothing he can really do about it either.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is why authors rewrite books in drafts.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 4, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I have an abysmal imagination and tend to benefit dramatically from stuff like concept art of characters and locations when reading a story. I don't understand how people manage to hold an even remotely detailed mental image of a scene in their minds.

http://aphant.asia/have-i-got-aphantasia

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A fun new thing that I just found is The Daily Grind.

An IT guy accidentally figures out that a certain door in his office, when opened at 3:32AM, leads to a weird, seemingly endless office-dimension. The office snacks are edible, but their packaging, like all other text inside, reads like neural network gibberish. The cash inside the desks and jackets and so forth seems real enough, which promises to solve a lot of his problems, even if it's mostly in small denominations. And sometimes denominations that actual dollars don't exist in. So that's good.

Unfortunately, some of the office supplies inside want to eat him. But when has that even stopped someone gripped with loot-lust?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

MOL

Oh boy, I hope Quatach-Ichl just mashed his soul into the loop as well

I think he probably ended up severely wounding either or both Z&Z.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

navyjack posted:

Double post, but I’m jonesing. I need some more web series to read. I’m on PracGuide, Ward, TGAB, TWI, Taint, MoL, and Worth the Candle. I finished all the rest of Wildbow, And Threadbare and I’m working on Ra.

Anything else good? I like/d all of those except, honestly not super crazy about Taint and MoL I think because I never got into anime, and I think they are heavily influenced. That’s just a guess.

Try The Daily Grind and Iron Teeth. Oh and I guess the Threadbear guy is working on a new story now, but I haven't tried it yet.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DarciisFyer posted:

I see The Zombie Knight has not been mentioned yet. Great worldbuilding and a steady but constant power progression. Bad thing is the author updates by page, not chapter, which makes it really annoying to follow on a day-to-day basis. I basically have to let the chapters build up and binge it every few months.

I kinda hated this after the first, uh, ten chapters. It might get better afterwards, I guess?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just google for maps, there are a few.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I really don't buy that red robe left the simulation already. It's tough to theorycraft since we just plain don't know that much about him, but my kneejerk assumption is that he couldn't gather the artifacts together himself, so he's waiting for Zorian and company to do it. I feel dumb speculating about his identity, since we plain don't know much, but in descending order of likelihood:

a) Red robe is Zach, the times we saw them together he was using a body double/flunkie/magical BS of some kind. I hate this theory, I think it'd be a dumb and frustrating payoff to the whole conspiracy, but it's also a lot easier for me to swallow than Zach meeting someone (other than lichdad) who, within 30 days, assembled enough information about the time loop to hack in a soul marker and screw with his brain. It also makes sense given what we know about his personality (tough, brash, has trouble with subtle magic); I could see him getting to a point where he genuinely couldn't figure out how to find and acquire the markers, so he looped (heh) Zorian in for help.

That could work I suppose. That said, here's my theory!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The early chapters of Zombie Knight that I've tried weren't good.

Try The Daily Grind:

the handsomest boy in this thread posted:

An IT guy accidentally figures out that a certain door in his office, when opened at 3:32AM, leads to a weird, seemingly endless office-dimension. The office snacks are edible, but their packaging, like all other text inside, reads like neural network gibberish. The cash inside the desks and jackets and so forth seems real enough, which promises to solve a lot of his problems, even if it's mostly in small denominations. And sometimes denominations that actual dollars don't exist in. So that's good.

Unfortunately, some of the office supplies inside want to eat him. But when has that even stopped someone gripped with loot-lust?

I also enjoyed the first two books of Iron Teeth. It's not the deepest, but it's entertaining if you like gobbos.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

hey I'm like 70 pages into Zombie Knight and does the character ever stop being an autistic anime cliché because I'm getting nauseous trying..... to...... read.... this..... horrible.... stilted..... garbage...........

protip: don't read bad things in hopes of them ever getting good, when there are so many nonbad things to read instead

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

What's the best xianxia web novel that's been translated/is written in English? I'm assuming there's some good stuff out there somewhere even if I have no idea where it would be.

I don't know about 'best' because, quite frankly, it's all pure pulp getting churned out at insane word rates, but I enjoy Library of Heaven's Path and A Will Eternal because they're both comedic takes on the genre with trickster types as main protagonists. I found the few works I tried that are just straight martial arts xianxia to be harder to get into, because, I dunno, I find the martial arts and obsession everyone in these stories has with them a bit too goofy to take 100% seriously.

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh man, so I got bored and read The Good Student. It was interesting enough to keep me reading in spite of the mary sue main character, the rudimentary writing, and the weird sexism/entitlement thing that permeated everything, but holy freaking crap I can't remember a story that had more unlikable characters in it, and I read The First Law recently. It feels like almost every freaking person in that school is a sociopath; it's telling that easily the most likable person in the entire story is a mass-murdering child soldier (well, child battlemage).

Yeah, I stopped reading it a dozen or two chapters in because of that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

I like the Daily Grind. Now I really want a poster that says WORK HARD AND ALSO WORK HARD.

Yes, it's good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Mother of Learning updated!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Wandering Inn Volume I is for sale on Amazon now.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

edit: And, on a personal level, I'll probably never see 'here's an Ebook of the thing you're all already reading' as anything but double-dipping your audience's wallet.

quote:

It’s out! The e-book is on Amazon right now for the price of $3.99! I encourage you not to buy it!

Not unless you like reading on Kindle. Because honestly, if you’re reading the latest chapter you’ve already read Volume 1, right? This is just for new readers and to tell people that The Wandering Inn exists. I tell people to read the web serial right in the book’s description. I don’t want to take your money and the e-book is simply the web serial’s first volume with a nice cover.

With that said, I have an appeal! Please review the book! Anyone can do it regardless of whether they’ve purchased the e-book, and it would help me out a lot if you gave me a review. I don’t want you to just 5-star it; I’d rather you tell people exactly what you love and hate about the book, what keeps you reading after five entire volumes. I’d love to know as well.

Apparently, Amazon’s algorithms only acknowledge a product in the rankings after 15 reviews. At that point it will start promoting the book to other customers. If we can get to 15 reviews, it’ll already help out a lot. More than that and…?

Thanks for your help. I hope the e-book sells a bit, but I’m just grateful to be in a position where I don’t have to rely on it to earn enough to live off of. I appreciate everyone who pledges on Patreon, shares my story with other people, reviews the book, leaves a comment, or just reads. We’ve just started Volume 5 and I’ve finally released Volume 1. All those new readers will have a lot to catch up on. Thanks for reading!

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 4, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's literally available for free in its entirety?

You're just being... a little weird.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I finally got around to finishing my upgrade of a friend's site after the original WordPress site got eaten by malware. If you haven't read Hitherby Dragons, by Jenna Moran, author of RPGs Nobilis and Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, now's your opportunity to do so on a site with faster loading times and some neat little features that were included by people savvier than me.

If you don't want to wade through the very beginning and want me to recommend an awesome bit of it so you can have an idea if you like it, I'm going to recommend The Summoning of the King.

This is really weird but also awesome. I also vaguely recall writing a very similar reply to a very similar post of yours.

Either way, I've always been bit too dumb for the main meta-narrative, but I do enjoy the little side-stories and if anyone reading wants to check something out, I'd suggest trying The Legend of Perfectly Defensive Samurai or Ragnarok or The Land Where Suffering Is Remembered.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

You know, it never occurred to me that Zach might have an explicit compulsion to resist suggestions to have his head examined, and that would fix one of my biggest gripes: it bugs the heck out of me that even though Zorian almost instantly deduced that he had major psychic tampering when they teamed up, they've now spent years (I think?) working together, yet nobody has ever made a point of trying to explicitly fix his head and figure out what the heck is going on. I just read it as Zach being stubborn and Zorian not liking conflict, but it being an explicit conditioned response makes the whole thing way easier to believe.

That's been pretty obvious, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

Shouldn't everyone effectively get out at the same time in the real world? I thought the loop was like a time dilation black room thing so you go in then come out and no time has passed. Everyone who's going to get out should also be out with Zorian, they just had more time in the loop after he left.

Yes, that's my impression of it.