Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I doubt we'll even get the projected Fedal semi-final to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

For some reason I can't get excited about Zverev at all. I just don't really enjoy watching him play though I can't articulate why that is, I guess some intangibles in the aesthetics of his game. From the youngsters I easily prefer Thiem and Kyrgios over him.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Good stuff from Krunic.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I was going to complain earlier about the rain forcing me to watch Nadal/Lajovic but actually Lajovic is playing really well and this is really entertaining so far. I hope he can keep it up.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I really thought Dimitrov had finally turned a corner. He looks a mess.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I thought it looked more like loss of concentration as a result of the match being too easy up to that point. Seems to be back in it now.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

If Federer goes out here that'll be all four finalists from Montreal/Cinci out before the third round on the men's side, which is a little lame.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

Two of those were Kyrgios (who recently retired in three tournaments in a row) and Dimitrov (lol).

The only real shock is Zverev going out.

They're certainly not the most dependable players but they were both in very good form coming in, particularly Dimitrov, and both have gone deep in majors before (unlike Zverev). Not the biggest shock but still kind of disappointing. I suppose it's just a sign of the depleted field when I'm expecting those two to go far, though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Some nice matches on the women's side in the 4th round, on paper at least. Kvitova v Muguruza should hopefully be good if Petra plays the way she did today, and Georges v Sloane as well, both of them playing great and are legitimate dark horses.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Goerges is a servebot who doesn't even have that good of a serve. Sloane should wipe the floor with her.

I'd love Sloane to win but Goerges has had a good season and she looked very composed today. I wish I shared your confidence but to me that looks nailed on to go the distance.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

quote:

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Stupid question: Why did you win today?

NAOMI OSAKA: I didn't win.

Q. Oh, you didn't? Sorry. What do you think made the difference today in the end?

How does this keep happening at every slam.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Petra's looking pretty good... not unstoppable-good yet, but there's a definite hint of Wimbledon 2014 here. I know it could derail at any moment so I'm not going to make any bold claims about her chance at the title, but I'm allowing myself some cautious optimism. :)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is a very confusing match.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

At this point I'd take a Delpo/Anderson final to be honest... but I worry we'll get Nadal/Carreno Busta instead.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Decided not to stay up for the semis cause the night sessions this week have ruined my sleep and there's still Nadal/Delpo tonight, but Sloane v Keys is the result I wanted. :) And Coco getting smashed in the process is very good.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Rhymes With Clue posted:

(Is there an actual reason for this even on clay?)

I think this is just to make sure they don't lose any traction from clay getting stuck in the sole.

I'm kind of enjoying this Anderson/Carreno Busta match despite the somewhat subdued atmosphere, particularly now that Anderson's playing well. He was kind of uneven in the first set. Anderson's game is probably better suited to troubling Rafa but neither of them is likely to take more than 10 games to be honest. Hopefully Del Potro wins.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 9, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

It's nice to see two younger players in the final, particularly two that have been talked about as potential slam winners over the past few years. Feels like tennis, at least women's tennis, is inching forward a little bit tonight.

I hope it's a good one.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I think offense can be boring too to be honest. Ostapenko bored the crap out of me in the RG final cause her game was so one-note and monotonous. Aggression needs to be measured, otherwise it risks veering into reckless ball-bashing.

Sloane may be defensive-minded but I find her game - the movement and strokes - very aesthetic and enjoyable to watch.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

It's remarkable how the US Open consistently finds the worst on-court interviewers. And he said he'd never seen the players sit down with each other after the match - it happened literally two years ago dude.

Sloane. :) She played great the whole tournament. I do wish the women played best-of-five, if not the whole tournament then at least in the semis and final - it wouldn't mess up the schedule for those rounds anyway. Maybe Keys would've swung more freely in the third and made it competitive, and then who knows; sneak the third in a tight tiebreak, start turning it around? There's a different dynamic and feel to best-of-five that is more suitable for a final match. It's a shame we're deprived of it all the time on the women's side.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Thankfully on my Eurosport stream we were spared that particular atrocity.

It reminds me though that last year they (not sure who exactly - ESPN?) experimented with mid-match player interviewers. I remember Coco did one. Did they scrap that this year? It was awful.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I like Anderson and hope he wins a few games the match.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Man watching this first half hour you already get a sense of what a massive mountain this is to climb for Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Too many errors from Anderson but to be fair Nadal is playing really well, and for once he hasn't started slowly.

• Locked thread