Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah emacs is pretty good but it's also bad

really makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

vodkat posted:

please tell me more about the good things you do with emacs

i edit text with it, sometimes in ascii, mostly in unicode. sometimes i do serious programming, but generally i use a modern/purpose built IDE for that.

i dont need to touch a mouse to use it. i know how to reach all the commands i need. if I need to edit some code that doesn't have a really powerful IDE tool, emacs is my go to.

sometimes when I need to ssh into a server and edit text (although that rarely happens these days), i can use emacs for that. it's really good at that.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

vim does that much better

not even close

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

i bet you dont even know how to use vim lol

i used vim for several years before emacs and exclusively use vim mode in emacs (which is much better than vim).

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Helianthus Annuus posted:

love vim when im editing a file, but i cant stand using bash in vi mode instead of the default emacs mode

does anyone know somebody who uses emacs for files, but sets their bash to vi mode? i cant imagine such a person actually exists

i dunno, i use zsh in vimode and emacs and it's fine.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Helianthus Annuus posted:

drat i bet you get so much work done with all those plugins and poo poo from oh-my-zsh

here i am rubbing two sticks together in bash like a chump

whateever suits your needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

OldAlias posted:

false stallman, this is gimped

you can tell because stallman would be a courteous and generous lover and that man is going rudely straight for the rear end

• Locked thread