Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Once a year we get an event so big, so huge, you just can't miss it. If you only watch boxing once a year, you're usually only seeing events like this. Tyson-Holyfield, Ward-Gatti, Lewis-Klitschko, Hopkins-De La Hoya, Garcia-Salka, Mayweather-Pacquiao and now, Cotto-Kamegai

Miguel Cotto

A four division titlist and veritable living legend, Cotto has shared a ring with the best. He's given his fans great fights with the likes of Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Saul Alvarez, Shane Mosley, Ricardo Mayorga and the great magic man himself, Paulie Malignaggi. Cotto is the pride of Puerto Rico, where there is a fantastic boxing scene. He inherited his position from Felix Trinidad and now that his career is winding down, there's been something of a quest to find the next great Puerto Rican boxer. For now, it seems like it's still Cotto.

Cotto hasn't exactly been on a tear lately, taking a nearly 2 year lay off after his UD loss to Canelo Alvarez in 2015. There were some attempts to book James Kirkland earlier this year, but that fell through and here we are.

Despite all this Cotto is still an amazing fighter who is always finding new ways to look impressive even as he ages into a different kind of boxer, even picking up the lineal middleweight title from (an admittedly weakened) Sergio Martinez in 2014. If he's still at the level he was in 2014 and 2015, then he's a force to be reckoned with for anybody in the division. We're truly blessed to get a chance to see somebody as historic as this fight again.

Yoshihiro Kamegai

Nothing gets people out of their seats like a challenger from the far off, mystic lands of Japan. Yoshihiro is a well known name within the sport of boxing, just an amazing fighter who has fallen under the radar for some reason. His record isn't perfect, but neither is Cotto's, and Kamegai has only lost to a few of the best fighters within his division: Robert Guerrero, Johan Perez and Alfonso Gomez. He's been on surge lately, Going 2-0-1 on the murderer's row of Nelson Gulpe, Jesus Soto Karass and Jesus Soto Karass.

Kamegai is looking for his chance to truly make a breakthrough here. An impressive victory here, on the biggest boxing event of the year will be an excellent springboard for some huge accomplishments and paydays, and paving a surefire path to the top of the P4P list.

This is a pretty classic case of an older veteran fighting for his legacy and the rest of his career against a hot blooded young gun with something to prove. Cotto is a true warrior and won't give away his status in the sport to just anybody, but Kamegai isn't just anybody. Expect this to be an all out war showcasing the highest level of Boxing skills.

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Conor McGregor

Oh yeah, not really signficant enough for it's own thread, but Floyd is returning from his retirement after 2 years to fight a guy making his debut in a tune up fight the likes of which you usually only see in Thailand or like, eastern Europe. Still, this is Floyd so it seems important to mention, you can talk about it in here too, but it might get lost in all the people taling about Cotto/Kamegai.

The main event is expected to start after 11PM EST

The Undercard

Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca

Gervonta Davis is somebody that you want to see if you're even passively interested in Boxing. This kid is 21 and is already a top 5 fighter in his weight division, and he's in one of the most competitive weight divisions there is right now. The only downside to this is that while Fonseca is a good fighter, he's not really on the same level. Davis originally tried to book one of Orlando Salido, Tevin Farmer or Rocky Martinez, all of whom would have been better challenges This fight is expected to start around 10:20PM EST

Badou Jack vs Nathan Cleverly

Despite what some unfortunate draws and a loss might have you believe, Badou Jack definitively proved he was best fighter at 168 pounds before he made his move up to 175, where Cleverly will be his first match. Jack himself is a fun fighter to watch, getting into rugged rough and tumble scraps and getting the best out of it. He took a weird upset KO loss years back, but since then has been very formidable, cleanly beating fighters much better than the only guy he's lost to. Cleverly is a solid fighter. Cleverly isn't elite, but he is firmly a top 10 dude who will beat you if you're not. This is a good test to see where Jack will fit into the light heavyweight scene, which is loaded with difficult fights. This fight is expected to start around 9:35PM EST

Andrew Tabiti vs Steve Cunningham

This is another classic case of a younger prospect, Tabiti, in against an older fighter with more experience in Cunningham. This is a surprisingly well matched fight for the opening of the PPV. Cunningham is a cruiserweight fighter who is coming back from a stint at heavyweight, where he gave a number of much bigger guys all they could handle. His best days are behind him though, and he's now being brought in as a stepping stone against rising TMT prospect Tabiti. Tabiti has plowed through all the opponents he's fought so far, knocking out 12 of the 14 he's faced. Cunningham represents a much stiffer challenge than any of his previous opponents though, so an impressive win could mean a lot for him. This will be the first fight of the PPV event, which starts at 9PM EST

Fox Preshow

Before the PPV even starts, there will be 2 fights on Fox, starting at 7pm.

Yordenis Ugas vs Thomas Dulorme

This was originally supposed to be Shawn Porter in a showcase fight against Dulorme but after Porter pulled out and Ugas stepped in, we're left with a fight that is arguably more interesting even if the name value is lower. Ugas was a prospect that got his 0 taken a bit early, dropping a few very close fights that could have gone the other way, before busting some other prospects by handing them their first defeat. Dulorme is a guy who seemed like he had tremendous potential when he first broke onto the scene, but has something of a glass jaw. Together, we have two guys who are fighting to salvage their potential, which always leads to some fun drama

Juan Heraldez vs Jose Miguel Borrego

I don't know anything about these guys, but boxrec tells me that these guys are both undefeated prospects. These types of match ups could really go anyway depending on how good they really are. Sometimes these are hidden gems, but I've seen a few stinkers in the prospect bouts. There's a surprising age difference here though, Juan is 27 to Jose's 19. That's all I got for this one.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this could be cotto's last fight and it's going to be overshadowed by that poo poo show. a shameful sport.

jack vs cleverly could be interesting tho

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Nice, the OP is as exciting as the fight will be.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
looking forward to floyd mayweather vs conor mcgregor

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

thehappyprince posted:

this could be cotto's last fight and it's going to be overshadowed by that poo poo show. a shameful sport.

jack vs cleverly could be interesting tho

Actually Cotto has explicitly said his last fight will be in December, and people currently suspect it'll be against Lemieux. So that's something to look forward to.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Y'all can quote me on this - it's very bold.

This is going to be funny.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Y'all can quote me on this - it's very bold.

This is going to be funny.
on the one hand, floyd could throw the fight and conor wins and we get two more of these babies

on the other hand, it could be 12 rounds of floyd tuning up a worse fighter than nate diaz and 80%+ of the audience regrets paying money for this

either way, gonna be a great event, historic night for sport and competition

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Actually Cotto has explicitly said his last fight will be in December, and people currently suspect it'll be against Lemieux. So that's something to look forward to.

what if he loses tho

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Great thread. The great Miguel Cotto would be proud.

Speaking of, I've been watching some old Mayweather fights to scout out The Blueprint. I remember thinking Mayweather was up on Cotto 7-5 or so but watching again I had it much wider, more like 9-3 or 10-2. Still a very fun fight but not one I felt Cotto never had too much success in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thehappyprince posted:

a shameful sport.

Weird, I just found this old post that actually predates the forums themselves by many, many decades.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/OscarDeLaHoya/status/901203246928101376

This is the only thing that needs to be said about anything ever

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

that guy is care mad

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

The SituAsian posted:

Forums can't show instagram, so click the link
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYPlDDtnhA8/?taken-by=thebeastufc

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

da black beast wins again

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If I had to train McGregor to fight Mayweather I would train him to fight like Marcos Maidana. Just come at the dude with no respect for his power, smother him and unload. Just watched the Mayweather Maidana I fight which is probably the closest Mayweather has come to losing a fight in the last 10 years, scored it 7-5 Mayweather this time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I just got a new job making real live money and I think Im going to celebrate by paying 100 earth dollars to watch this abortion

Or I could buy more games for my Switch I dont know

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If it's just you watching I would not spend 100 dollars on this one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't give Nintendo money either so just get something nice for your parents/girlfriend/boyfriend/pet/friends

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

good idea. The local microbrewery is showing it in their beer garden for $15 GA anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I.N.R.I posted:

looking forward to floyd mayweather vs conor mcgregor

i'm going to wake up and read who won and then forget about it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I wouldn't give Nintendo money either so just get something nice for your parents/girlfriend/boyfriend/pet/friends

the nintendo switch is extremely good and you should get one. as should everyone else

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jose posted:

i'm going to wake up and read who won and then forget about it

You should bond with your friends while watching it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its on at like 4am i don't give a poo poo.

might bet on this though

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Embarrassed to admit did not know Cotto was fighting, and for some reason still thought he had all the belts he won from Sergio Martinez who ducked Triple G to fight the easy Cotto and got blasted for it. Forgot he lost them to Canelo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Embarrassed to admit did not know Cotto was fighting, and for some reason still thought he had all the belts he won from Sergio Martinez who ducked Triple G to fight the easy Cotto and got blasted for it. Forgot he lost them to Canelo.

Sergio was an excellent fighter and I am very happy he ducked GGG because if he didn't he might be dead.

Cotto / Canelo was an excellent fight. So much so that I wish it happened while Cotto was in his prime.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jose posted:

its on at like 4am i don't give a poo poo.

might bet on this though

both handles? hell id take it

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I can't believe Mario Lemieux is coming out of retirement to fight Cotto. McGregor was one thing, but this poo poo had gone too far.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bought the fight on the UFC site, and it says to "watch in app", but the "ppv" red button on the app doesn't actually do anything.

This is my first time using the UFC app to stream a fight, can someone please tell me how this is going to work? Am I not in the right place in the app or is something going to change closer to the undercards?

Also, I'm now going to contribute to the demographics of "idiots that paid for this mess" when my real group is "people that couldn't ppv boxing before because it needed a cable subscription" (In the usa at least).

Edit : button now changed to "upcoming " and says the video is available later, so I'm reassured now.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 26, 2017

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I can't believe Mario Lemieux is coming out of retirement to fight Cotto. McGregor was one thing, but this poo poo had gone too far.

I'm going to put my money on Super Mario.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

Sergio was an excellent fighter and I am very happy he ducked GGG because if he didn't he might be dead.

Cotto / Canelo was an excellent fight. So much so that I wish it happened while Cotto was in his prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koe4Sm8nQPU

Sergio did give us this, sucks what happened to Paul Williams later though :/

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/Classic_picx/status/901361203741634561

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I bought the fight on the UFC site, and it says to "watch in app", but the "ppv" red button on the app doesn't actually do anything.

This is my first time using the UFC app to stream a fight, can someone please tell me how this is going to work? Am I not in the right place in the app or is something going to change closer to the undercards?

Also, I'm now going to contribute to the demographics of "idiots that paid for this mess" when my real group is "people that couldn't ppv boxing before because it needed a cable subscription" (In the usa at least).

Edit : button now changed to "upcoming " and says the video is available later, so I'm reassured now.

Once it actually starts, there will be pop ups and poo poo in the corner telling you your event is now live.

It's really simple to use.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/901453757187325953

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Go Floyd.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I believe that Floyd can overcome the odds and beat this Irish menace

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYNv9kTjHjC/

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Which one is Conor jsut kidding I know which one is COnor

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, is it too late for someone who never watches boxing to come into the thread and give their expert opinion?

Also, insert comment about domestic abuse here.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Hey guys, is it too late for someone who never watches boxing to come into the thread and give their expert opinion?

Also, insert comment about domestic abuse here.

Sure, you should mention something about unorthodox angles, or talk about how Mayweather has never fought somebody like this before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Sure, you should mention something about unorthodox angles, or talk about how Mayweather has never fought somebody like this before.

Well has Mayweather ever fought someone with a 0-0 record?

• Locked thread