Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andro
Jun 30, 2010
It doesn't matter because the fight ended with a TKO, but I only gave MacGregor the first round. I gave the rest to Mayweather. There is an argument that they could have gone either way, but it is a weak argument. MacGregor was visibly frustrated with how many of his punches were slipped or blocked and how calm and collected Mayweather was. It was obvious that Mayweather was in control of the fight. Then again, aside from ego stroking, it ended in a stoppage and doesn't matter how it was scored. MacGregor lost hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
really this is all jose aldos fault because if he didnt get knocked out in 13 seconds due to jerking off too much conor's hype wouldn't have skyrocketed so massively so quickly

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MotU posted:

really this is all jose aldos fault because if he didnt get knocked out in 13 seconds due to jerking off too much conor's hype wouldn't have skyrocketed so massively so quickly

His hype was sky high before that fight.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Apple refunded my $99.99 from the UFC app, so I think I'm the actual real winner here.

:lol: Yeah that won't be a problem.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dias posted:

You guys probably would know it, who's the YT dude that does breakdowns on fighter styles? I remember seeing one I quite enjoyed about GGG and also one about maybe Pacquiao from the same dude?

Do you mean Lee Wylie?

Here's one on Mayweather, and here's an another one for upcoming fight you shouldn't miss.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

big money big clit posted:

His hype was sky high before that fight.

Yeah, there were people convinced he'd flatten GSP from his UFC debut.

Anyway, in terms of Conor managing to last ten rounds, I'd compare it to those tiny Japanese guys they used to get Semmy Schilt to fight back in Pride. Schilt, depite being a 7 foot tall particle accelerator fighting someone who didn't actually come all the way to their belly button, would still cautiously jab and front kick, keeping them on the end of his massive reach until there was an opening, the exact same way he would when he was in kickboxing, because he's an extremely cautious, risk minimising fighter, no matter who he's fighting.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Canelo - GGG is gonna loving own

May all punchmans get extremely paid like Connor and Floyd did

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Apple refunded my $99.99 from the UFC app, so I think I'm the actual real winner here.

:lol: Yeah that won't be a problem.

I'm interested to see how many PPVs get refunded.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm actually really curious to see what the buyrate is. I'm sure it did well, but there were weird stories about not all the tickets being sold. Admittedly, those were pushed by Bob Arum, who had some skin in the game.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Just saw pics from the weigh in and lmao did Conor have loaded shorts

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is Canelo/GGG free? I'm definitely up for some good boxing. I follow the modern boxing news like 2 or 3 times a year. I'm the worst.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Scrapez posted:

Conor was done. A standing 8 count wouldn't have changed a thing.

He was too tired to do anything at that point and would have just gotten knocked out.

Also Standing 8's are kinda gross and the type of thing that lets guys hang on long enough to get killed. Not that I'm saying that might have happened here, just in general I think it's good that rule is gone.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is Canelo/GGG free? I'm definitely up for some good boxing. I follow the modern boxing news like 2 or 3 times a year. I'm the worst.

Nah it's PPV, and it deserves to be. ESPN is showing fights (with actual names) now and then these days which is a welcome change though.

I won't unequivocally endorse it and tell you to buy it because boxing loves to disappoint, but it would probably be worth your time to go to a bar that has the fight and watch it. I'd be very surprised if both guys weren't willing to exchange a bunch.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

And 50-0 isn't a real record, but it's a nice note to go out on. Mayweather retires not The Best Ever, but definitely the best of the 21st century so far.

actually thats Bernard Hopkins

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Anything is free with the right attitude.

If you have HBO, there's a card the week before that's free. It's really good. Three super flyweight fights that have the best dudes in the division and they're all very exciting guys to watch

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Andro posted:

It doesn't matter because the fight ended with a TKO, but I only gave MacGregor the first round. I gave the rest to Mayweather. There is an argument that they could have gone either way, but it is a weak argument. MacGregor was visibly frustrated with how many of his punches were slipped or blocked and how calm and collected Mayweather was. It was obvious that Mayweather was in control of the fight. Then again, aside from ego stroking, it ended in a stoppage and doesn't matter how it was scored. MacGregor lost hard.

McGregor sucks as a boxer. He doesn't cover his head, he has no head movement, his footwork sucks, and he looks as awkward as gently caress in the ring. Also it looks like he doesn't even have that much power behind his punches. In summary his defense sucks his offense sucks and if he makes it into about the 6th round he's going to be too tired to do anything but get punched. McGregor is a horrible boxer.

The fact that he won a couple rounds early on is a consequence of Mayweathers unique approach and probably a desire not to end it so early. Any number of decent boxers would have felt him out for about a round and then beat the poo poo out of him.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

my stream last night was high quality and solid. inshallah it will be that good for the golovkin fight and i can dish it out via pm

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Grittybeard posted:

Nah it's PPV, and it deserves to be. ESPN is showing fights (with actual names) now and then these days which is a welcome change though.

I won't unequivocally endorse it and tell you to buy it because boxing loves to disappoint, but it would probably be worth your time to go to a bar that has the fight and watch it. I'd be very surprised if both guys weren't willing to exchange a bunch.

I don't do bars and don't plan on buying but I'll either figure out a way to watch or catch it afterwards. I'm interested for sure. While we're on the topic, I haven't seen either of guys fight yet. Sounds weird but yeah. What fights/highlight comps should I watch for maximum hype?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Anything is free with the right attitude.

If you have HBO, there's a card the week before that's free. It's really good. Three super flyweight fights that have the best dudes in the division and they're all very exciting guys to watch

Nice I'll watch for that one too!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm actually really curious to see what the buyrate is. I'm sure it did well, but there were weird stories about not all the tickets being sold. Admittedly, those were pushed by Bob Arum, who had some skin in the game.

Upcoming article: How millenials are killing arena sports.

Also lmbo at everyone saying McGregor did surprisingly well because Mayweather let him flail around for a few rounds and wear himself out before beating the everloving poo poo out of him.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 28, 2017

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Andro posted:

I liked when McGregor did his whole hands-behind-the-back thing and Floyd didn't respond in any way shape or form.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYSZMDgjxq5/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Rubellavator posted:

I liked when McGregor did his whole hands-behind-the-back thing and Floyd didn't respond in any way shape or form.

But don't you see?!?! That whole dropping a bunch of rounds thing was part of the GOATs plan! I swear!

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Captain Log posted:

But don't you see?!?! That whole dropping a bunch of rounds thing was part of the GOATs plan! I swear!

What

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Captain Log posted:

It literally was

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Captain Log posted:

?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

turns out all combat sports are terrible, wow

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
That Italian one where dudes beat the poo poo out of each other in teams in a palazzo is p cool

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Actually yeah I forgot about that one, poo poo

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I agree, the real winner of this fight was the dude who got the poo poo beaten out of him

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Mr. Carlisle posted:

funnier still is someone saying poo poo like 'mma chuds' when defending a dying sport nobody watches anymore until the fighter who has no chance brings back an old retired shithead and gets people to watch said sport again

yeah, george st pierre should stay retired imo

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Boxing is dying, unlike MMA which has had many notable fights this year such as

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Aww Captain Log, you got the defensive boxing fans all excited! And it had gotten so civil. The argument they wanted well avoided but now here we are.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Of the top 10 biggest recent ppv draws prior to this fight the majority were boxing with a some MMA sprinkled in. The biggest one was PAC-Mayweather which I guess is now number 2. Boxing is not dying.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I personally LIKE the corrupt, racist behemoth that is professional boxing, and am not ready to let it be fed to the corrupt, racist mastodon that is mixed martial arts.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah pro boxing is in great shape lmao. the ufc is in real trouble from the sport whose grave they pissed all over a decade ago

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

michael bisping is involved in the ufc's greatest hope for a decent ppv buyrate in 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah pro boxing is in great shape lmao. the ufc is in real trouble from the sport whose grave they pissed all over a decade ago

The UFC is in trouble because nobody gives a poo poo about the people fighting for them anymore except for one dude who just fought a boxing match so he could make real money.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Skip My Posts posted:

If the UFC pissed on boxing's grave they wouldn't have split the purse like they did. Mayweather made 100 million and McGregor made 30 million.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Hot take: both sports are probably okay.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

El Roncho posted:

Hot take: both sports are probably okay.

Hey there fucko, we don't give 10-10 rounds here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

If the UFC pissed on boxing's grave they wouldn't have split the purse like they did. Mayweather made 100 million and McGregor made 30 million.

lol

• Locked thread