Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

El Roncho posted:

Hot take: both sports are probably okay.

Wow look at this centrist scum over here!!!

yeah they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i wonder if floyd/conor will out sell floyd/berto lmao

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

El Roncho posted:

Hot take: both sports are probably okay.

Except boxing which is quantifiably worse in the present day.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
MMA will be saved when it turns into a work like wrestling and boxing.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

combat sports will die because the biggest fight ever was headlined by two tiny fellas that would both lose a boxing or mma game to dwayne the rock johnson.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Don't you remember? Conor beat up the mountain. The rock is a mere pebble in comparison.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Don't you remember? Conor beat up the mountain. The rock is a mere pebble in comparison.

Alcatraz is shifty as gently caress though and has extremely potent biological weapons from what I understand after watching a documentary where Sean Connery saved the world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Isn't there a fan theory that he's actually james bond in that movie just old and undercover?

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Thanks, whoever posted the Mickey Ward / Arturo Gatti fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n4A_0Znd50

I never watch boxing and tuned in just for the spectacle. This 2003 fight seems like a great example of the sport at its best. A real show of great sportsmen with amazing, different fighting qualities duking it out all the way.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Isn't there a fan theory that he's actually james bond in that movie just old and undercover?

Pretty sure the writers said that was the inspiration at least.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

i don't watch boxing, i saw every fight last night and had fun and will probably casually watch it like i do ufc in the future when my friend orders a ppv

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Boxing is a morass of independent fighters coordinating matches vaguely under the aegis of the various organizations.

Mma as it stand is nearly totally controlled by UFC.

UFC is on a course to explode spectacularly in a way Boxing could never dream of.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

UFC is on a course to explode spectacularly in a way Boxing could never dream of.

I think I'd agree that MMA could explode spectacularly with bad leadership (and, heh), but boxing's mainly just in a position to slowly rot instead of explode into a pile of debris.

I like all sports where people get hit in the head, so I hope it works out for everyone here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kane posted:

I never watch boxing and tuned in just for the spectacle. This 2003 fight seems like a great example of the sport at its best. A real show of great sportsmen with amazing, different fighting qualities duking it out all the way.

Here's another easy to like fight to watch in full if you want it: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xubed4

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

Alcatraz is shifty as gently caress though and has extremely potent biological weapons from what I understand after watching a documentary where Sean Connery saved the world.

Do they even have prom queens in Ireland that winners can gently caress?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Here's another easy to like fight to watch in full if you want it: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xubed4

I was there for this live and yeah it was awesome. The second fight was great too.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
watching mayweather interviews i can't help but think he is autistic, and boxing is to him what trains are to a stereotypical autistic person.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

watching mayweather interviews i can't help but think he is autistic, and boxing is to him what trains are to a stereotypical autistic person.

can't say i've heard of many autistic folk who become rich as gently caress because they like trains

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

maybe he just likes boxing

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

can't say i've heard of many autistic folk who become rich as gently caress because they like trains

You got the order wrong, he got rich because he is an autist that likes to train

He's just stupid enough that he didn't get the noun right.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I saw an ESPN post fight interview and the only time his face lit up and was really enthusiastic about something was when he was taking about how much money he made from the fight. Which stands at about 350 million.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there anywhere to stream the Terence Crawford fight from a few weeks ago? I'm trying to convert some people locally.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there anywhere to stream the Terence Crawford fight from a few weeks ago? I'm trying to convert some people locally.

Dailymotion usually has fight videos but just a warning the Crawford fight is pretty quick and one sided

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Kane posted:

Vargas/Miura was this decades version, really great fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

There's a fair chance this fight is on ESPN online somewhere. I'll see if I can track you down a link.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Dailymotion usually has fight videos but just a warning the Crawford fight is pretty quick and one sided

Oh I know, I watched it in person. Just trying to convert a few stick in the mud types that don't recognize what a huge talent we have in our backyard.

e: thanks, they did have it! here's the link for anyone curious https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xg9f1

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Kobe is autistic as poo poo. It happens.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bouncy balls and trains are polar opposites!!!

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Robert Mercer http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/ted-cruz-super-pac-donor-robert-mercer/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I just watched the fight and lol Conor gets tired at the exact point he always gets tired, like 8 or 9 minutes into a fight. He started to rally again around round 6 for about 2 minutes, kind of similarly to his little comeback in the last couple rounds of the second Diaz fight.

In short - Conor most definitely would have won if he managed his energy better and had more than 4 rounds total of gas :cawg:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

For real though once Floyd started putting it on I started to laugh a lot because he was nailing Conor with a ton of power shots.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Conor vs. Diaz 3 should be a boxing fight in the world famous Octagon.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

For real though once Floyd started putting it on I started to laugh a lot because he was nailing Conor with a ton of power shots.

Yeah he was landing at will once he decided to go for the power shots.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

My roommate said he didn't want to be hit that hard in the stomach, ever. I have to agree. Sounds obvious but drat that hook.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
conor's strategy was to gas himself out as quickly as possible and he flawlessly stuck to it

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My friend and his dad were so high on McGregor during the first 3 rounds that once Floyd starting up the excuses came out for everything. It was great to have them shut up once Floyd connected.

Out of the 15 people watching with us I was 1 of 3 that picked Floyd to win. I loved it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/902274414623973376

Fishnets.jpg thinks some things were not quite on the level. Maybe he just wants another hug from Uncle Al

https://twitter.com/ShadowLeagueTSL/status/901677350177341441

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Hell Gem

Digital Jedi posted:

My friend and his dad were so high on McGregor during the first 3 rounds that once Floyd starting up the excuses came out for everything. It was great to have them shut up once Floyd connected.

Out of the 15 people watching with us I was 1 of 3 that picked Floyd to win. I loved it.

Dude how were you in a room with 12 people who thought the best boxer in the world would lose a boxing match against a non boxer??

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Bum the Sad posted:

Dude how were you in a room with 12 people who thought the best boxer in the world would lose a boxing match against a non boxer??

The average american dudebro is an mma fighter. The average american dudebro also wants the white guy to win.
I have a dudebro friend that watches mma and does crossfit. He predicted Conor in round three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Hell Gem
I wish I knew more dude bros. Could have made even 1:1 bets and made a killing.

• Locked thread