Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Erev posted:

Hey, so I'm the idiot that built down near Pastavy and failed to work out of his loans. Sorry about that. Next map I should be less inept!

Just roll a new company!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i know i'm late to the party but dang this game is good.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You’re a good human for it, as I continually fail in my resolve to join, but will someday.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I can agree that people come and go, I've been playing Transport Tycoon on and off since the original but only in fits and starts of a few days at a time. When it becomes a game of memorising the most efficient junction patterns, IMO the magic goes a bit.

With that in mind I want to give it another bash - I know the goon servers are where the magic happens, but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for mods which add a bit of realism? Inertia on the vehicles, earlier vehicles, more challenging cargo patterns and prices/etc.? I appreciate that the game snowballs once you have your first big coal line and so I was hoping to find something to keep the challenge there.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 17, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Try either FIRS, SPI, or ECS Vectors. Those are the major alternate industry sets with different rules.
Personally I think SPI (Stock-Piling Industries) is the more interesting one, since industries have a limited production rate, and when you deliver inputs to them it gets put in a stockpile, which the industry takes from to produce outputs. This forces you to service industries differently, unlike FIRS which generally still follows the instant production from input cargo on secondary industries.
I haven't played much with ECS at all, so can't speak for it.
All of these should also support much earlier start dates, just make sure to use a vehicle set that can take the cargo types.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I miss playing openttd with you dudes, I need to jump into the server some day soon.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

doctorfrog posted:

You’re a good human for it, as I continually fail in my resolve to join, but will someday.

Same

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I just joined this map and I really cannot deal with these hills. Jesus Christ.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Time to practice then! There's several ways to deal too. Over, around, through, or just level it all. Depends on how much you want to spend. Consider how the route might affect travel time and speed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Looking at what you built, I think you built too ambitiously (expanding too much before being sure you had a working profit-maker), but was also too timid with your train choice. Dash and Manley-Morel DMUs aren't well suited for long inter-city routes. Even more so when the landscape is against you, start out with a simple profit-maker like a coal, wood, or oil route. Don't double-track right away, just make a single-tracked route. You can always double it later when you need the capacity.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 4, 2018

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

So I built bunch of trains to take oil at the top of the map but they don't want to enter the station, I'm really confused.

I have no idea what I did but I made diesel trains instead and remade the stations and it's working now. I just hope the train that transfers the oil from the second well actually does its job and transfers it. I've never tried to use the transfer function before.

EDIT: It works! Also when I get newspapers saying my vehicle or aircraft is getting old do I need to upgrade them or does this server have that crap turned off.

EDIT: Cool I've been loving around in single player with AI for fun, cos I still have a lot of stuff to learn and practice and I wanted to be on a really flat map, but it's also more fun not being the only company in game. It's kinda fun to see the AI doing its poo poo, I literally just went through the online content list and just picked a few AI's that sounded interesting.

Also I'm happy I started using 2 platform terminus stations. I used to only have every single one of my tracks going in a loop to whatever mine and production place I was using. It was really inconvenient trying to join more rails and everything just got messy and confusing. I've been checking out cool station/track designs on the wiki and on random online tutorials and trying them out.

I also have a quick question, if I have an airport in a city and I have buses or stuff coming from some towns and stuff should I use the transfer function for my passengers when they get to the airport? or is it fine using the 'go' function by itself? I've just recently started looking at that thing when you click on the passengers of a stop or station or whatever and it says how many people want to go where exactly and I assume my profit will be better if I work out who wants to go where and take them there. Right now I just connect random airports to each other and just hope they manage to make a profit but I think it will be better to bring more passengers from other smaller towns to the big cities specifically where they want to go.

also I decided I need a HQ on my cool little island.

https://imgur.com/a/myeX0Bc

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 8, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I always dust off OpenTTD around the holiday season since it's my convenient little holiday train set. I'd be happier if there was some good mods to make the game look more like a snowy, holiday train set. The North American theme is not it.

nielsm posted:

Try either FIRS, SPI, or ECS Vectors. Those are the major alternate industry sets with different rules.
Personally I think SPI (Stock-Piling Industries) is the more interesting one, since industries have a limited production rate, and when you deliver inputs to them it gets put in a stockpile, which the industry takes from to produce outputs. This forces you to service industries differently, unlike FIRS which generally still follows the instant production from input cargo on secondary industries.
I haven't played much with ECS at all, so can't speak for it.
All of these should also support much earlier start dates, just make sure to use a vehicle set that can take the cargo types.

I started to play with FIRS this time, and got caught up with the number of industries and the amount of outputs. It's a lot harder to shove in a terminus station for something that might load two (three?) different cargoes. I ended up dropping the industry and city generation rate due to the amount of goofy rail I had to run.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I always dust off OpenTTD around the holiday season since it's my convenient little holiday train set. I'd be happier if there was some good mods to make the game look more like a snowy, holiday train set. The North American theme is not it.

I started to play with FIRS this time, and got caught up with the number of industries and the amount of outputs. It's a lot harder to shove in a terminus station for something that might load two (three?) different cargoes. I ended up dropping the industry and city generation rate due to the amount of goofy rail I had to run.

For real, a holiday themed toy train set look would be amazing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

you know, I really enjoy terminus stations, and I'm glad they're a 100% viable choice now and we're not restricted to one-way stations like the old days

also thoughts:
- 2CC trainset is good if you just like having a ton of trains to choose from, but I think its not so fun gameplay-wise
- The Japan set is amazing and sets a high bar for everything else, the trains especially just make sense to me from a real perspective, and a gameplay one too
- UKRS2 seems pretty good from what I've played of it too. Might have a bit too many trains, but at least you can reduce the numbers in the newgrf settings
- been playing with this game script called Goal Based City Growth and I have been really enjoying it. I think its almost something that should be included by default, it just jives with the game well.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For real, a holiday themed toy train set look would be amazing.

I've tried starting on something like this. I'm working on mechanics for now, and hope I can recruit some skilled sprite artists later, to make it look good :)

What I have so far is a slightly silly trees-and-presents economy:

Stardust Collector => (Glitter) => Tree Farm => (Decorated Trees) => Tree Shop

Toy Factory => (Toys)
Animal Farm => (Wool) => Knitting Workshop => (Sweaters)
Tree Farm => (Pulp) => Paper Press => (Wrapping Paper)
(Toys+Wrapping Paper) or (Sweaters+Wrapping Paper) => Warehouse => (Presents) => Town houses

Candy Wells => (Boiling candy) => Cane Twister => (Candy Canes) => Town houses
(Sweaters, optional) => Candy Drill Rig => (Boiling candy)

My idea for graphics is semi-realistic snow landscape, and vehicles should just be a small set with no tech progression.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 3, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Good news for all ship-lovers!
There's a patch massively improving CPU use from ships close to being merged, in addition to other ship-pathfinding improvements that have already gone in recently.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

piratepilates posted:

- been playing with this game script called Goal Based City Growth and I have been really enjoying it. I think its almost something that should be included by default, it just jives with the game well.

Ive been trying to get in to OpenTTD recently and one of the biggest things Im having trouble with is figuring out how to get cities to actually grow, so this sounded like it would really help someone like me.
Unfortunately after skimming over it it really sounds more like it should of been called "Growth Based City Goals."

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The easiest way to make towns grow is building bus routes (around 6-10 tiles long) within them. Several frequently visited stations near the town center boosts the growth rate a lot, and bus routes are the cheapest way to have multiple stations within one town.

A good strategy in early game is to find a chain of towns you'd like to serve, build short bus routes in each (just two stops on each route), then connect the towns with a train route. The train route can make the big bucks, while the buses ensure the towns are healthy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
These bits always worked for me to get a city going:
0. Find an actual city with (city) in its title bar when browsed.
1. Start some token passenger and mail service with trucks. Preferably one station is merged into a train station that is dormant. This is to get your rating up for later.
2. Start working on goods/food/water network.
3. Connect to station. If the train station cannot take the growth resource, use it transfer to trucks.
4. Start extending existing city roads into regular grids.
5. (Galaxy brain) lay dormant track in tunnels under roads to dormant station to create belt loops to service the city once it grows to them.

With pause building enabled, I accidentally got one up to a million in 12 years and then it turned into a giant mess.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is someone able to tell me why this isn't working? I'm using 1 entry signal, 2 combo signals, and 4 exit signals. All my trains just take the top rail and ignore the signals all together?

I know the easy answer is to just use path signals, but I'd like to learn how to use pre-signals.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Just use path signals.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is someone able to tell me why this isn't working? I'm using 1 entry signal, 2 combo signals, and 4 exit signals. All my trains just take the top rail and ignore the signals all together?

I know the easy answer is to just use path signals, but I'd like to learn how to use pre-signals.

At a glance this seems like a correct setup. I'm worried about the 'too few orders in schedule' message at the bottom. If your trains are considered 'lost' because of this, they will ignore combo and exit signaling. Try making your track into a complete loop, with at least a maintenance stop as a second order in the trains' schedules, and see if that improves things.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

StoryTime posted:

At a glance this seems like a correct setup. I'm worried about the 'too few orders in schedule' message at the bottom. If your trains are considered 'lost' because of this, they will ignore combo and exit signaling. Try making your track into a complete loop, with at least a maintenance stop as a second order in the trains' schedules, and see if that improves things.

Yes it seems right. I was trying to figure out why the bottom-most bit looked different and I think it is just the fencing making the signals look a little different.

A basic way to figure out presignals for balancing branches:
1. An entrance signal (horizontal yellow) denotes the start of a presignalled branch.
2. An exit signal (vertical white) denotes the end of every single presignalled branch in a section.
3. A combo signal is just putting both types basically in one block aka an exit signal to close the first branch and an enter signal to start the next branch. Imaging the branches are much further apart and it would be obvious to have a path go [entrance, exit, regular signals..., entrance for next branch]. Since they are close together, the exit and entrance part get smashed together into one signal.

To really show your have mastered them, you need to figure out how to use them for a terminus station with a bonus depot.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SwimNurd posted:

Just use path signals.

:yeah:

Pre-signals signals are a bad idea. Almost every problem solved by pre-signals is better solved by path signals.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

StoryTime posted:

That was it, thank you!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Happy Hedonist posted:

That was it, thank you!

:tipshat:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Pre-signals only exist as a legacy option. They were essential when path signals didn't exist yet. Now, they are only confusing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh hey, nightly dev-builds are back! Just don't get the 20190125 build right now, there is a crash bug in map generation :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

And here's 1.9.0 betas up.

Changelog: I contributed 5 of the new Feature items. I also caused the bug that required beta2 as a quickfix version.

quote:

1.9.0-beta2 (2018-02-09)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Fix: Non-Windows builds did not get correct git hash

1.9.0-beta1 (2018-02-09)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: OpenTTD was migrated to GitHub for 1.9, so SVN revision and FlySpray numbers have been replaced with Pull Requests and Issue numbers
- Feature: Group liveries, and livery window usability enhancements (#7108)
- Feature: Overhaul of music system, support MPSMIDI music files (TTD DOS/TTO) (#6839)
- Feature: [Win32] Rewritten DMusic and WinMM music drivers
- Feature: [Win32] New XAudio2 sound driver
- Feature: [Linux] New Fluidsynth music driver
- Feature: Framerate display window (#6822)
- Feature: [NewGRF] Ability for industries & houses to produce and/or accept up to 16 different cargoes
- Feature #6610: Allow towns to build houses on road turns (#6758)
- Feature: Replace independent map scrolling GUI settings with single option, and add choice to not lock cursor position when scrolling (#6756)
- Feature #6459: API for querying network clients from GS (#6736)
- Feature: New Russian Ruble & Mexican Peso as currencies (#6678, #7035)
- Feature #4186: Append '(City)' after city names in the town directory
- Feature #986: Automatic save when losing connection to a network game
- Add: [NewGRF] Flag to hide rail types from construction (#7118)
- Add: [NewGRF] Airport animation trigger for plane landing (#6334)
- Add #4115: Default starting company colour setting (#6998)
- Add: Mixer feature for streaming sampled music
- Add #6460: [AI] start_date parameter for Random AIs on new game
- Add: BACKSPACE can be mapped as a hotkey
- Add: 32bpp SSE2 blitter palette animator (#6795)
- Change: Make ships turn slowly when changing direction and stop when going up or down a lock (#7065, #7150)
- Change: Improve ship pathfinder performance
- Change: Decouple GUI timing from game ticks (#6780)
- Change: Desert tiles are now half-desert if a neighboured tile is non-desert or sea/coast (#4754)
- Change: Gradually slow down aircraft speed on breakdown (#6932)
- Change: [NewGRF] Increase rail type & cargo type limits to 64
- Change: [NewGRF] Increase size of persistent storage to 256
- Change: [NewGRF] Use last OpenTTD SVN revision in NewGRF version number (#6843)
- Change: Clone tool in depot window now behaves like clone button in vehicle window (#6754)
- Change #6397: Keep town growth rate in sync with house count
- Change: Scale default FreeType font size selection by UI zoom level
- Change: [OSX] Reversed pinch to zoom behaviour
- Change: Switch town growth rate and counter to actual game ticks (#6763)
- Change: Non-tag revisions are now named '<commitdate>-<branch>-g<shorthash><modified>'
- Change: Rewrite several bits of documentation in markdown
- Fix: Reinitialise graph GUI on game restart (#7191)
- Fix: Potential crash during shutdown after unpacking downloaded content (#7185)
- Fix #6584: Text layout in engine preview dialogue
- Fix #6636: Airplanes could be sent to helicopter station depots
- Fix: Deadlock when launched with -n switch (#7103)
- Fix: Various corrections to town names in non-English languages (#7038, 7141)
- Fix: Only consider airport tiles when placing (for non-rectangular airports) (#6613)
- Fix: Spelling fixes on some Latin American town names
- Fix #7001: Pathfinders should see standard road stations as tiles where to reverse
- Fix #6676: Prevent helicopters from stopping in midair during some kinds of landing
- Fix: Remove need to use Ctrl+Click when building stations next to competitors (#6906)
- Fix: [NewGRF] Make VA2 operator 11 (ror) behave well-defined when rotating by 0 bits
- Fix #4109: Add more water checks to the Oil Rig layout
- Fix #6938: Incorrect value for "Cost to Clear" was displayed for Company Headquarters in tile inspector (#6939)
- Fix #6920: Make 9.8m/s^2 a common constant for TE-calculation
- Fix #6892: [Script] CONFIG_RANDOM did not use the full parameter range (#6902)
- Fix #6622: News message when GS constructs a town had empty company name
- Fix: [NewGRF] Action7 variable 0x85 had no bounds checks
- Fix #6875: Depot building cost did not include foundation build cost (#6883)
- Fix: Some pixels in ship autoreplace icon (sprite 106) were transparent
- Fix: Poor contrast in cargo dest flow legend window cargo labels
- Fix #6553: Make viewport button text unambiguous
- Fix: [OSX] Setting mouse-wheel to scroll the map does not disable pinch to zoom
- Fix #6969: Account for BOM when reading script files
- Fix #6898: Ability to use seeds above INT_MAX (#6936)
- Fix #6659: Bus stations could be demolished when not in demolish mode (#6815)
- Fix: One-way roads could be over-built by road stops regardless of road owner
- Fix: Use name of cargo instead of Passengers/Mail in town statistics (#6801)
- Fix: Prevent ships moving into docks after finishing (un)loading (#6791)
- Fix: Tractive effort was slightly too high as per NewGRF spec (#6785)
- Fix #6465: Add {NORMAL_FONT} and {MONO_FONT} control codes to GS strings (#6726)
- Fix: Four group action icons were misplaced and cropped
- Remove: PSP, WinCE support

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 9, 2019

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
I think it might be time for a reset, I managed to get Failure Transport to a national air monopoly.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'll join when I get home!
Are there industries on the map this time?

Tip: If things start running bad again, try the new "fps" command in the server console, it should tell you what's actually dragging the game down :)
(Also, all of the old-time developers recommend against 4k edge maps, the structures and algorithms used everywhere mean the game logic really doesn't scale well to such huge maps. But it might be getting better in 1.10... might.)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sincx posted:

No industries. It was daunting trying to add realistically-placed industries manually and I didn't want to auto-populate randomly. Prospecting is on as before.

Ok, I haven't played this game in forever, so forgive my ignorance, but how do you play without industries? What's prospecting, with regards to this game?

Total guess here, but does it involve you actually looking for where a certain industry could be made, and then starting it? Like looking for oil, or a large forest?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Passengers/mail have always been massively profitable over medium/long distances.

There are two modes for player-funded industries: Direct construction, and prospecting. Secondary industries are always constructed directly (you select where they are built), while a game setting controls whether primary industries are prospected or built. Prospecting means you lay down a chunk of cash, and then maybe a new industry is built in a random place on the map. (You can risk not getting a new industry for your money.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm in and... track construction is crazy expensive! This is going to be a fun challenge, maybe.

Edit: Okay one of the tram sets used are not balanced against the rest.

Edit 2: Built a little route at much expense.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Yeah I just bankrupted myself within all of 5 minutes. Whoops! Is there a way to like, liquidate everything and start over?