Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I do think that the max completionist run doesnt feature the 30 thieves much, but this is a pretty cool game. Also, some of the other storylines are imho way more hilarious.

Other then that one ridiculous fight in a certain area. Not going to spoil though.

Militades is the scammy gift that keeps giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

THE LEGEND OF BRUTUS PART 1

A very special combat focused edition of the The Age of Decadence Lets Play.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 2, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the little end-of-chapter notes. Feels very Telltale.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

THE LEGEND OF BRUTUS PART 2

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Glazius posted:

I like the little end-of-chapter notes. Feels very Telltale.

It gives the game a nice reactivity feeling. They always had the slides between cities, but they actually didn't have post-ending slides for optional stuff until after the game released. That sucked for a while.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I must admit, that last "got any more jobs for me" exchange made me chuckle.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Thank you for doing this, I am bad and got a new job and moved cities and just kind of dropped my LP of AoD unceremoniously.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 2, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Being a murderman seems very satisfying when done right

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ctrl+f for "I don't like it when the game tries to be cute" for the few quality bits of writings we've seen so far.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

This is why it drives me insane when people say things like "Age of Decadence combat is impossible, everyone should just try to avoid it."

This update shows that it's not hard if you minmax and know how to cheese it - that's pretty much the gist of the complains about the combat and character system in this game.

If you aren't going to do that, then "avoid combat, you'll get murdered" seems to be spot on. The disagreement seems to be more about whether this is a good or bad thing, game design wise.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Avalerion posted:

This update shows that it's not hard if you minmax and know how to cheese it - that's pretty much the gist of the complains about the combat and character system in this game.

If you aren't going to do that, then "avoid combat, you'll get murdered" seems to be spot on. The disagreement seems to be more about whether this is a good or bad thing, game design wise.

The build is suboptimal for combat because it has heavy crafting investment (does less for xbows than equivalent investment in just putting points into xbows), a wasted point in strength to be able to join the imperial guard, and no investment in con or a defensive skill because points are being spread out elsewhere for social checks. Using items the way they're intended to be used, like using napalm and nets to disable enemies and poison to whittle them down, is not cheesing. The encounters I've described so far are even easier if you go in with a conventional combat build, with the downside that it's harder to hit social checks that are coming up.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Being a murderman seems very satisfying when done right

There's a cheevo for racking up over 200 kills that's pretty fun if you just build a straight up murder man who is all on in murder. More than one small village was depopulated that day.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

THE LEGEND OF BRUTUS PART 3

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, this sorta reactivity is something more out of a CYOA thang than a cRPG.

Or, I suppose, the old school games mentioned before~

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I appreciate slaughter being a social skill.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So it said at the end of the update that you got training in melee accuracy, dodge, and block, but your character sheet still shows level 1 and the numbers haven't changed. Is that an extra bonus uncoupled from stats?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Glazius posted:

So it said at the end of the update that you got training in melee accuracy, dodge, and block, but your character sheet still shows level 1 and the numbers haven't changed. Is that an extra bonus uncoupled from stats?

If it would take more skill points to level up than the training provides, it gets dumped as a pool of say 15 combat skill points, that you can allocate anywhere.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Glazius posted:

On top of skill level the martial skills also have individual ratings that are a combination of a lot of factors, including free training. You can see in the stat screen at the end of part 2 that Brutus' rating with eg daggers is 34 after everything is added together, and 45 at the end of part 3 after the training. In game you can mouse over the rating to see everything that is contributing to it, negative and positive.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

I appreciate slaughter being a social skill.

Yea that is neat. You'd think more rpgs would do that, something like random mooks deciding not to rob the kitted out badass with a kill count in the hundreds.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Yea that is neat. You'd think more rpgs would do that, something like random mooks deciding not to rob the kitted out badass with a kill count in the hundreds.

Skyrim.exe, really. Your bodycount actually mattering is really a nice change.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Part 7 - Mad about Maadoran

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I'm going to get through the rest of the optional Maadoran content in the next update so I can start showing off areas that will reveal the back story to the game. No more hinting around! Were there demons or not? What's the deal with these wack rear end Magi guys? Lets find out!

What about 40 Thieves missions? Who are those guys?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
a star falls from the sky, destroys part of a city, and anyone that goes into the blast crater gets mysteriously sick, huh? doesn't sound all that fantastical when you put it that way.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
This game and your way of presentation is amazing. Came in expecting a generic ARPG and got a big surprise in the depth of this game.

Looking forward to the background lore you're going to show off too.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

a star falls from the sky, destroys part of a city, and anyone that goes into the blast crater gets mysteriously sick, huh? doesn't sound all that fantastical when you put it that way.

Sounds like a small nuke to me more than anything.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lynneth posted:

The other abandoned lp had us find a "ceremonial bowl" that glows in the dark and makes you sick if you keep it and looked pretty much like bits of an old gas mask.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
On the other hand, the Magi poo poo does sound plausible; I mean, if magic exists, why not nukes?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Lynneth posted:

that's what I was implying, yeah. I never got far enough into the game to get the full backstory though, so I'm interested to see where this goes

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

On the other hand, the Magi poo poo does sound plausible; I mean, if magic exists, why not nukes?

Because the different physical principles of a magical universe would prevent nuclear weapons from being effective?

Because the cultural impact of magic reduces scientific inquiry?

Because magic could be a much easier development than nukes, making it common centuries, even millennia before people even knew what an atom was?

All kinds of reasons. Enough that, if it wasn't clear this was a nuke style nuke, I'd assume fantasy settings would develop an equivalent instead. No reason to spend billions inventing a new superweapon when the local techniques give you the same edge for cheap.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Could well be that in this setting magic didn't always exist, and the first nuclear explosion was what let it out onto the world.

Or just that the thing that went off was a Scroll of Summon Nuclear Explosion IV, but that is a rare and high-level spell and nobody knows how to scribe them any more.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

as an irl wizard i can confirm that nuclear explosions are literally magic and that oppepenhiemer is a plagerizing fuckstain who needs to give credit

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did we just sign up to be an involuntary suicide bomber? Like, can we look in the package with our alchemy skill or is it just a sealed quest item?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Agean90 posted:

as an irl wizard i can confirm that nuclear explosions are literally magic and that oppepenhiemer is a plagerizing fuckstain who needs to give credit

That does explain why so many of Feynman's memoirs have stories where he has to deal with wizards swearing eternal vengeance.

(Fun story. That's the origin of the popular slang phrase "Feynman's Wizard" for anyone in an inescapable embarrassing and pathetic position, especially someone hanging from a flagpole by his underwear.)

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Part 8 - 100% Maadoran Speedrun (disclaimer: not actually 100%)

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I am very surprised the well wasn't just an idiot trap.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

:same:

I was even more surprised the guy didn't try to drop a stone to fleece you for money.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I never actually have played as a thief or had the patience for Milatidies crap, so despite multiple playthroughs its refreshing to see something new!

Also minor spoilers for the bomb

Surprisingly this isn't an instant kill even if you do deliver it

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So what happens if you do blow the sucker up?

Also why is the eye familiar?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You can drown in there, but they signpost it pretty clearly.

Jack2142 posted:

I never actually have played as a thief or had the patience for Milatidies crap, so despite multiple playthroughs its refreshing to see something new!

Also minor spoilers for the bomb

Surprisingly this isn't an instant kill even if you do deliver it

The bomb can kill you but you have to be walking around at iirc 15 hp for some reason (minimum con gives you 30 max hp).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Part 9 - Obey the Lore

• Locked thread