Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

You inspired me to run through the game over the weekend, they added Amaranthus extract to the Thor-Agoths tomb too in some chests, or at least I think they did because I brewed something and got the lich achievement.

Ya they just straight up added the completed (not even the alchemy ingredient!) potion to a safe you can lockpick, lmfao. I guess it requires a heftier lockpick score than the monastery safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can you play a female character?

Is the game finished finished, no more updates for dangling plot hooks and leftover characters?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Can you play a female character?

Is the game finished finished, no more updates for dangling plot hooks and leftover characters?

Yeah you can play one. It doesn't have any real gameplay impact, beyond changing how some NPCs talk to you (basically any that bring up your gender).
And I'm pretty sure it is completely done now. There might be some dangling plot hooks or leftover characters, but some of that is probably just because the answers to some plot hooks don't exist in the scope of this game, or some characters maybe had their stuff dropped who knows. Nothing comes to mind on leftover characters anyway, but you aren't going to get an answer to everything in this game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm genuinelly but pleasantly surprised female characters don't get like a strength or reputation penalty or something.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

I was surprised you didn't show off the other journal in the airship. Are you saving it for Brutus?

...Also I didn't realize the power armor raised stats, I ended up selling it on my playthrough because I didn't see increases in DR or CS Resist on the inventory screen :eng99:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Avalerion posted:

I'm genuinelly but pleasantly surprised female characters don't get like a strength or reputation penalty or something.

AoD is an equal opportunity setting. Everyone can get hosed equally!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. That's a... surprisingly chill resolution to an AoD quest. Some guys want to be left alone, you leave them alone.

Out of curiosity, what condition is the other end of the door in? Is it even openable?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Glazius posted:

Huh. That's a... surprisingly chill resolution to an AoD quest. Some guys want to be left alone, you leave them alone.

Out of curiosity, what condition is the other end of the door in? Is it even openable?

It's The Right Thing to do.
From what I read the buff for not Doing The Right Thing is kinda neat, but honestly, not that great. The game isn't combat heavy enough, even when you slice and dice a lot, to really need it by this point.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Could you keep the elixir for yourself but lie to the healer about it?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Xander77 posted:

It is done done. They made Dungeon Rats, back ported some of the Dungeon Rats gameplay stuff to AoD, and have now moved on to their next game: a CRPG set in a generation spaceship http://irontowerstudio.com/new-world-news.

Avalerion posted:

It's not that sort of game!

devildragon777 posted:

I was surprised you didn't show off the other journal in the airship. Are you saving it for Brutus?

...Also I didn't realize the power armor raised stats, I ended up selling it on my playthrough because I didn't see increases in DR or CS Resist on the inventory screen :eng99:

I, uh, may have missed that. Where is it in case I can't find it when I go look?

Also, dear lord.

Glazius posted:

Other end of the door is just as strong. You physically can't open it. All you can do is travel to the two sides using the portal in Maadoran (or Zamedi) for one end and the monastery entrance for the other and realize ".... wait a minute."

Avalerion posted:

Could you keep the elixir for yourself but lie to the healer about it?

Yup.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Part 16 - The Life and Death and Death Again of Brother Meru

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader
You can "talk" to Balzaar if you've gotten the special drugs from another character. He tells you that in the olden days his followers (maybe the Qantari?) would ritually take them to commune with him.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
That Aegis helmet looks awfully familiar. Hmm.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So what happens if you kneel before Balzaar?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Oh, Miltiades. How can we ever stay mad at you?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think you can also chat with Baalthazar if you have the helm of Darius that you get from a tomb you can loot and don't give it up to Gaelius.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

lenin posted:

You can "talk" to Balzaar if you've gotten the special drugs from another character. He tells you that in the olden days his followers (maybe the Qantari?) would ritually take them to commune with him.

Isn't that only from the prophet, and if you're a fellow grifter?

Lynneth posted:

That Aegis helmet looks awfully familiar. Hmm.

Unsure if game being cute or not :crossarms:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So what happens if you kneel before Balzaar?

The game does continue, you don't get a game over. Find out what happens in the Alternative Ending Spectacular! (name work in progress)

Whybird posted:

Oh, Miltiades. How can we ever stay mad at you?

I can never stay mad at Milty no matter how many times he tricks me into risking my life and murdering others for him :allears:

Jack2142 posted:

I think you can also chat with Baalthazar if you have the helm of Darius that you get from a tomb you can loot and don't give it up to Gaelius.

Ya that's the helm of destiny I mentioned.

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader
With high enough streetwise, a non-grifter can figure out the Prophet's con, and the Prophet will give the player the drugs in exchange for not ratting him out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, those are pretty accurate Milty stats. Also Word of Honor -25.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

lenin posted:

With high enough streetwise, a non-grifter can figure out the Prophet's con, and the Prophet will give the player the drugs in exchange for not ratting him out.

I've figured out the scam as a non-grifter and he was like "hey Meru this guy wants a ride in the star chamber" with no drugs given (absolutely devilish of him). Maybe I didn't have enough skillz

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Something I noticed before but is sadly worth remarking about - all the persuasion / CHR checks we've seen so far are there for a reason, when you're somewhat inconveniencing or prying into the NPCs business. Rather than "ok, we need X skill checks, so I guess we'll shove one into this dialog."

I don't get the latest "game getting cute" reference. "Thy will be done" is apparently a game quote (and a Christian lyric) but that doesn't help.

(The battle that broke the Order and scattered the Magi doesn't really make sense either. Star Wars?)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 17, 2017

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Something I noticed before but is sadly worth remarking about - all the persuasion / CHR checks we've seen so far are there for a reason, when you're somewhat inconveniencing or prying into the NPCs business. Rather than "ok, we need X skill checks, so I guess we'll shove one into this dialog."

I don't get the latest "game getting cute" reference. "Thy will be done" is apparently a game quote (and a Christian lyric) but that doesn't help.

(The battle that broke the Order and scattered the Magi doesn't really make sense either. Star Wars?)

It's the part where he says "it would have been my greatest triumph if not for the meddling of those knuckle-dragging primitives!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXUqwuzcGeU

Also yes, pretty sure the other one is a Star Wars reference.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

THE LEGEND OF BRUTUS PART 8

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think I've laughed as hard at anything in the LP as that option

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader
It's gonna be big!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not quite following the skip from ending the conversation with Paullus and suddenly being in mid-talk with Carbo.

Also, "even cavemEn die to snipes"

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 18, 2017

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I'm not quite following the skip from ending the conversation with Paullus and suddenly being in mid-talk with Carbo.

Also, "even cavemEn die to snipes"

Sometimes I don't post every screen of a conversation to get to the point, maybe that cut was too abrupt.

Also the man's name is "Caveman" so it's fine. :colbert:

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

THE LEGEND OF BRUTUS PART 9

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The wonderfully callous way in which Brutus lives is so refreshing.

"Hey, gotta get this bridge working, better blow some people up."

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I love how Julius and Brutus go from being screwed by AoD NPCs to being dicks to AoD NPCs. It's glorious.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Milty is the greatest

please say we get to kill him eventually

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

That went better than my "loyalist" playthrough where I decided to by actually loyal to Antidas Its kinda hilarious how there is literally only one possible way for him to actually "win" the civil war I tried to convince him to help Meru and attack the Aurelians and he was like "Nah".

Dux Paullus is actually refreshing in his attitude even if you didn't side with him. Listening to history of Rome podcast waaay to many people decided it was better to be Emperor of a divided and weak realm than be the number 2 in a much stronger state.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh huh. I suppose you can't just sprint over a bridge of light. Your animal instincts won't let you.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

THE LEGEND OF BRUTUS PART 10. The final chapter of Brutus' story!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I don't believe it! Sure, the man eating piranha may have consumed the still living flesh of everyone it met but I never expected it to do that to us!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I gotta say, it certainly was big.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Janissary Hop posted:

THE LEGEND OF BRUTUS PART 10. The final chapter of Brutus' Miltiades' story!

FTFY :colbert:

Edit: Are you gonna show different storylines after this? I started a Boatmen character a few months ago that I ran into a brick wall with, so I'd love to see how that shakes out. I feel like we've seen the least of them in this LP, too.

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 20, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I just love that making Milty into the High Prophet is a thing you can do.

I killed his rear end the first time he screwed me over, but now that he's scamming Space God Pharaoh...I might let him live if I ever play AoD again.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That certainly was an ending, yeah.

I Can't Believe It's Not Thoth doesn't really seem too traitor-ish, all told. You'd think the Magi would have more seals up or something if he was a risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

God Thoth Bless Milty

• Locked thread