Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I grew up in rural Finland on the swedish speaking west coast strip of ostrobothnia, still live here in a smaller town of 6k. Overall a pretty great place to live, good infrastructure, good health care (so far), good education, even got fiber though we're out in the country. Economically this place is doing quite well, I've driven though other rural places in finland and they always seem more run down to me, less vibrant. It's quite sad to see.

Lots of immigrants have actually settled down in the swedish speaking rural areas over the last 30 years so it's quite multi-cultural place despite being rural (one town has more immigrants per capita than helsinki, or maybe it was equal now), which is why it's so great really, my kids speak three languages so far and when I drop the kids off at daycare I often hear more languages than I can identify. I think that's a big reason why these places are still strong, they bolster the population, they take over old homes that would be empty and make lives here.

I love it here, I love driving to work and seeing the golden rye and barely fields this time of year, I love having so much space and nature, being abler to leave the doors unlocked or not freaking out if I leave the keys in the car. We have allemansrätten or the right to roam, so everyone can go into the forests and pick the bounties there without anyone being able to stop them with some "this is private land" BS. Last week I even met a guy who moved here from London, said he really liked it here, but due to a breakup he wanted to go back home, though not London again he said, some place smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread