Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrognome
Jun 2, 2011
I live in Frederick, Maryland and it's frankly awesome.

I grew up about 30 minutes away in a (more) rural part of the state, and back then Frederick was not known to be a cool place to hang out. Now I've moved back after living a couple other places on the East coast and it's great.

Pros We have a beautiful little historic downtown that has plenty of parking due to the city's foresight in building public garages as growth/renovation really got going in the last decade. Carroll Creek linear park is awesome and you can tell a lot about the city's values by the fact that our nice public library sits on valuable property right on the creek. Our brewing scene has exploded in the last 3 years and we now have 8-10 breweries in or near the city, with the most well known being Flying Dog. There's plenty of other things to do, with lots of festivals/events happening throughout the year.

Real estate is still fairly reasonable - you can pay anywhere from $150k for a small, dated but livable row house or single family to $650k+ for an amazing house right on one of the parks. For the most part the city is welcoming to diversity and seems to me to have a fairly robust LBGT+ community.

It's also fairly well located, I can get to DC, Annapolis or Baltimore in about an hour if traffic cooperates. Gettysburg is about a half an hour North for history buffs.

Cons Job-wise there's a ton of commuting down 270 towards DC (I do this) and the traffic is terrible during rush hour. Communities near us seem to be terrible about letting developers build whatever they want with no regard to infrastructure, so I don't see this changing in the near future.

We are also a fairly liberal city in the middle of a rural/conservative county, so there is a bit of friction there. My impression is that we've come far enough that the racists/other assholes largely keep their opinions to themselves, but there's at least an undercurrent of that and it sometimes shows more obviously - for example, the principal of one of our high schools recently banned a tradition of having one student wear an Indian headdress at school football games, and man are some people PISSED that the "snowflakes" are destroying their sacred tradition of being assholes about other cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread