Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Picard Day posted:

(As an aside everything about this image is just so drat loaded out of context that it's really just an insanely good shot in general)

Good post, this shot stood out to me a lot more than the one you picked for this, though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Terrific Accident posted:

Well, I would say she's not, as she ultimately does very little in the movie, has no real motivation for anything that she does do besides GIVE ME THE NOTEBOOK, and is written to be as intelligent as a rock. If all of this was part of her grand scheme to get the notebook from Light she could have just killed him with the page she stole and taken it herself, or even when she was in entire possession of it later on. She has no way of knowing that ownership would pass back to Ryuk if Light didn't pass it on himself, as she can't see Ryuk or hear anything he says, and she even writes his dang name in the notebook intending to kill him. Instead we get some weird, unconvincing Twilight romance that feels like it was manufactured in a boardroom by old men.

I think she did a lot. He's reactive, she's proactive and they mutually-reinforced until that difference came to a head.

Also, he kind of hit the jackpot with her because she was immediately super into killing people. The movie wouldn't have happened without her.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I haven't seen the anime so I don't have anything to go off of other than people's descriptions. But it sounds like movie Mia is basically anime Light, and people are having a hard time with that.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm not super familiar with the Death Note anime so I can't speak to the 'authenticity' of this or not. But a friend suggested it the other night when we were waiting for something else to come on, and I must say it was a fine way to kill a few hours. Williem DaFoe is the perfect creepy rear end in a top hat monster, and the gorey scenes were (fairly) unexpected to the uninitiated, making this a bit of a thrill. It wasn't perfect or even really great...but drat it was a ride.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yeah, it was a trashy horror movie, and I enjoy trashy horror movies. Death Note delivered even if it was a little front loaded.

Also to the movie's credit, it probably gets a few more people to try the anime. That works out allright since they don't spoil each other in any meaningful way.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Simplex posted:

I haven't seen the anime so I don't have anything to go off of other than people's descriptions. But it sounds like movie Mia is basically anime Light, and people are having a hard time with that.

Nah, the issue is more that the manga/anime is Sherlock Holmes vs. Moriarty and it was adapted to something else for the movie. It's a big genre shift, which is hard to take, especially for those that were drawn to the subject matter strictly for that.

Mia isn't anything like Light either. Nobody is like Light Yagami or manga/anime L in this movie. It takes a lot of getting used to. L acts more like Mello or something and that was the part of the manga/anime that everyone hated.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

With my analysis or just with the idea that she (and her relationship with Light) isn't characterized enough?

You'll have a blast. I like Death Note a lot, but You're Next and The Guest are better.

Woah, wait, the You're Next guy (no idea of the director's name) directed this one? That's cool. I love that movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, can I just point out that this movie's score is bonkers loving good? Not just the 80s songs, but the synthwave tracks that play too, like Blood Oath by Makeup and Vanity Set kicking in towards the end.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Simplex posted:

She's very far from Light Yagami.

One of the more interesting parts of the anime was Light Yagami's "perfection" - he was basically a superman. Top of his class, in the best university, handsome, popular, athletic. Neither Mia nor Light Turner are really anything like this - they're both outsider weirdos, or at least that's how they came across to me. I don't know if making Mia a cheerleader was supposed to signify that she was socially attractive or something. Seeing this superman come across an actual godlike ability was interesting because there's that really base seductive power about it - he genuinely IS the only person on earth that could accomplish what he did with Kira and the Death Note, and the benevolent dictatorship that he brings about has a draw to it even though it's incredibly horrifying at the same time. Mia, as she characterized, is never going to do something like that.

Someone compared movie L to Mello from the anime which is fair. A big part of the 3 main detectives in the anime was how they went about their work - L was essentially the "perfect" detective, a balance of direct action and study with an unshakeable sense of justice (this latter part is a big reason why everyone dislikes him running through the streets with a gun and then debating whether to write Light Turner's name down - the L that a lot of people find enjoyable would never do either of these things). Near was too in his own head, Mello was too active, but together they were able to replicate L. I feel a lot of anime L's charm was lost in this adaption, with mischaracterization on top of poor writing and character quirks that I don't find translate well to live action. At least it was acted OK.

One last thought is that, in adapting from the anime, the movie (with its limited run time) cannot include more or less everyone's favorite arc. In removing this, the movie also gets rid of a hugely important message that Death Note media tries to convey - that being the corrupting power of the note itself. Various characters are tempted by it throughout the series, some give in and some don't. But the latter half of the first part of the anime outright shows that Light Yagami is/can be an exceedingly good person with a powerful and righteous sense of justice, if not for the influence of the Note. By removing this arc from the movie entirely we don't ever really see that, and on top of missing one of the best twist/detective cat and mouse games in the whole series, we also get Light Turner who is wishy-washy and not at all an attractive protagonist.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, can I just point out that this movie's score is bonkers loving good? Not just the 80s songs, but the synthwave tracks that play too, like Blood Oath by Makeup and Vanity Set kicking in towards the end.

I'm assuming you've seen The Guest? Because between that and Death Note, Wingard is definitely developing a "house style" on the tone of his movies, and the score is one of the biggest parts of that.

To anyone who hasn't seen The Guest: rectify that, asap.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

tbp posted:

One of the more interesting parts of the anime was Light Yagami's "perfection" - he was basically a superman. Top of his class, in the best university, handsome, popular, athletic. Neither Mia nor Light Turner are really anything like this - they're both outsider weirdos, or at least that's how they came across to me. I don't know if making Mia a cheerleader was supposed to signify that she was socially attractive or something. Seeing this superman come across an actual godlike ability was interesting because there's that really base seductive power about it - he genuinely IS the only person on earth that could accomplish what he did with Kira and the Death Note, and the benevolent dictatorship that he brings about has a draw to it even though it's incredibly horrifying at the same time. Mia, as she characterized, is never going to do something like that.

She's a cheerleader, the very next time we see her after the bully confrontation is her walking down the halls with the cool kids, holding hands with one of them. She's in Calculus. There's no dialogue telling us how cool and pretty Mia is, but the movie definitely tells us she is smart, popular, pretty and athletic. The descriptions of Light's moral code in the anime sound exactly like Mia's in the movie. If you really want the Sherlock Holmes cat-and-mouse you could pretty easily interpret the ending as L realizing that he spent his time chasing Light, when really Mia was his Moriarty.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

I'm assuming you've seen The Guest? Because between that and Death Note, Wingard is definitely developing a "house style" on the tone of his movies, and the score is one of the biggest parts of that.

To anyone who hasn't seen The Guest: rectify that, asap.

gently caress yeah. Honestly, I thought this movie had a better soundtrack; there's a couple tracks off the soundtrack to The Guest that I love (Hourglass and Antonio) but Death Note's music was fire start to finish.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

gently caress yeah. Honestly, I thought this movie had a better soundtrack; there's a couple tracks off the soundtrack to The Guest that I love (Hourglass and Antonio) but Death Note's music was fire start to finish.

It was definitely my favorite part of the movie, for sure. Besides Dafoe.

But still, goddrat is Hourglass a loving hot track.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

tbp posted:

I'm a bit confused as to where this is coming from not having not seen the anime/relevant programs but I think you may be ignoring the obvious images of the movie if you are looking at Mia as an "outsider."

With regards to your first thing about Mia being a cheerleader means she's popular - uh, yes? Are you at all familiar with basic stereotypes of American high school hierarchy? Let's look at Mia being introduced to the film - seen here standing on top of a bunch of other humans (one from a previous post I made and a few others):

Heck, Mia manages to have a noteable ex in this movie without ever saying a word about him.

When Light and Mia become an item this is how people react:

While she might conform to a common stereotype disaffected loner or outsider weirdo seems like an extremely odd label to choose, and it's an idea with very little evidence (that I've seen) to support it. Though a type-A super Heather doesn't seem like that much of a crazy idea to me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The sound track was indeed great. I think it worked particularly well during the spacier sounding tracking shots moving smoothly from one canted angle to another - just made the scenes feel extremely smooth.

reach42 posted:

Good post, this shot stood out to me a lot more than the one you picked for this, though:

That is deffo. the better shot - America ain't ready for a closeup that badass.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The news conference makes no sense too because Kira could have just been not watching TV, or was doing something that prevented him from seeing the broadcast, or didn't live where the broadcast was being shown, or was loving asleep, or could recognize it was a ploy to gain information and wouldn't kill L to further confuse matters, or was morally opposed to killing L. Something not happening is not proof of anything, and it's the dumbest change they made from the anime, and the conclusions L draws from it make zero sense. He is a lovely detective

poo poo like this is why I thought people saying the movie was really good was some kind of loving joke. Plot points like this were dependent on the viewer accepting the most retarded logic imaginable, i.e. that a savant megadetective would not only use this as proof but also bring his evidence to Light's dinner table and end up resorting to shrieking YOUR SON IS THE KILLER.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I gotta echo that L's press-conference deduction was weird. If they weren't going to include the fake L gambit, they should have done away with the scene entirely because as it was it really doesn't make much sense.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Well, I would say she's not, as she ultimately does very little in the movie, has no real motivation for anything that she does do besides GIVE ME THE NOTEBOOK, and is written to be as intelligent as a rock. If all of this was part of her grand scheme to get the notebook from Light she could have just killed him with the page she stole and taken it herself, or even when she was in entire possession of it later on. She has no way of knowing that ownership would pass back to Ryuk if Light didn't pass it on himself, as she can't see Ryuk or hear anything he says, and she even writes his dang name in the notebook intending to kill him. Instead we get some weird, unconvincing Twilight romance that feels like it was manufactured in a boardroom by old men.

As others have pointed out, she does a lot, including being deeply involved in the creation of Kira. The debate over who should and should not be killed is the primary conflict of the movie. Her eventual attempts to gain control of the book are the result of that conflict, not the entirety of their conflict, with the fight against her containing the action climax of the movie. L is important, but secondary to what's going on between Light and Mia.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Crimpolioni posted:

I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I gotta echo that L's press-conference deduction was weird. If they weren't going to include the fake L gambit, they should have done away with the scene entirely because as it was it really doesn't make much sense.

Right, the original version was still a leap of logic, but at least there was a methodology there. In this, L just takes the fact that nothing happened to him as evidence of the gospel truth that Kira needs a name and a face. That scene is also where Light shows his defining weakness, that L can force him into making mistakes and giving away information by exploiting his ego. Movie Light's main weakness is that he's got a boner for work-for-scale Kristen Stewart

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Squashing Machine posted:

Right, the original version was still a leap of logic, but at least there was a methodology there. In this, L just takes the fact that nothing happened to him as evidence of the gospel truth that Kira needs a name and a face. That scene is also where Light shows his defining weakness, that L can force him into making mistakes and giving away information by exploiting his ego. Movie Light's main weakness is that he's got a boner for work-for-scale Kristen Stewart

Thinking about it it's actually kinda funny how he assumes that of course Light has to be watching the great L deliver his daring challenge when the movie shows us Light has no idea the conference was even a thing, and only tuned in because Mia called him to let him know what's up, lol.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
To be fair, L's profile of Kira was accurate. It was just that is was Mia's rather than Light

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

They also never really address that Light freaking murders a high school bully, who is a jerk but ultimately not the kind of evil he seemed interested in punishing. Doesn't even break a sweat over that one. It's even funnier because at the end of the film his dad talks about realizing that the mob guy who killed Light's mom was the first victim, not even remembering the kid at Light's school who got HIS HEAD CUT OFF WITH A loving LADDER.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

They also never really address that Light freaking murders a high school bully, who is a jerk but ultimately not the kind of evil he seemed interested in punishing. Doesn't even break a sweat over that one. It's even funnier because at the end of the film his dad talks about realizing that the mob guy who killed Light's mom was the first victim, not even remembering the kid at Light's school who got HIS HEAD CUT OFF WITH A loving LADDER.

I thought this was actually pretty clever. There's nothing about that incident that really indicates it was a Kira killing; nobody really did anything out of the ordinary except stumble, so it just looks like a freak accident. His dad realizes that because he's already had the seed planted in his brain that Light is Kira; without that, he'd probably have chalked the mob guy up to the same thing, and in fact he does for most of the movie.

e: like, honestly, I feel like a lot of the "plot holes" in this movie are just the movie being a little too clever for its own good and losing the audience in the process. Which, if anything, makes it a great Death Note adaptation. :v:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Squashing Machine posted:

Now I want a Death Note movie with KStew playing a gender swapped Light tbh

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, was anyone else really distracted by the fact that Light's dad looked pretty much exactly like Max Payne? I really want to see a live action Max Payne with that guy now.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

DrNutt posted:

Man, was anyone else really distracted by the fact that Light's dad looked pretty much exactly like Max Payne? I really want to see a live action Max Payne with that guy now.

I'd love an adaptation which recognizes that you didn't have a health bar and power ups, you had a pain gauge and pain pills.

The whole thing's a drug fueled rampage. He'd be so blasted out of his mind on pain pills that it'd be like Commando meets The Holy Mountain

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I saw it. L was good; I thought his portrayal in this adaptation was a good cultural translation. Willem Dafoe's performance was good, although I was peeved that Ryuk's motivation was just to be a dick, rather than to be entertained. Light's dad was good, even if not very much like his manga counterpart. Wasn't too crazy about the rest of the movie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This movie made me start the anime for the first time. The idea of two geniuses having a battle of wits in an overly melodramatic manner is intriguing to me, but I could never past how loving edgy it seemed at a time I was getting over my edgy preteen phase. The only thing I had ever seen was that time he took a potato chip ... and ate it!!

On episode two now and it's p alright.

This movie, though, is amazing, it is one of the best comedies I've seen in a while and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The soundtrack was top notch. Plus, I like budget Emma Roberts aka Jill from The Leftovers, the rest of the cast was good as well.

Like when the movie started and I counted no less than two dutch angles in like thirty seconds, I knew I was in for a ride. The argument Mia and Light have on the ferris wheel about putting each others names in the books is loving hilarious. And the music cues as the wheel falls? So good. It seems to me they very much knew what they were doing. I could be wrong, it could be sincere, but I really do think this is just a fun horror comedy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

esperterra posted:

This movie made me start the anime for the first time. The idea of two geniuses having a battle of wits in an overly melodramatic manner is intriguing to me, but I could never past how loving edgy it seemed at a time I was getting over my edgy preteen phase. The only thing I had ever seen was that time he took a potato chip ... and ate it!!

On episode two now and it's p alright.

This movie, though, is amazing, it is one of the best comedies I've seen in a while and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The soundtrack was top notch. Plus, I like budget Emma Roberts aka Jill from The Leftovers, the rest of the cast was good as well.

Like when the movie started and I counted no less than two dutch angles in like thirty seconds, I knew I was in for a ride. The argument Mia and Light have on the ferris wheel about putting each others names in the books is loving hilarious. And the music cues as the wheel falls? So good. It seems to me they very much knew what they were doing. I could be wrong, it could be sincere, but I really do think this is just a fun horror comedy.

I mean it's pretty clearly making fun of teenage edginess the entire way through.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

esperterra posted:

It seems to me they very much knew what they were doing. I could be wrong, it could be sincere, but I really do think this is just a fun horror comedy.

I mean, the sense of humor is pretty much exactly like Wingard's other stuff; anyone who liked You're Next or The Guest is pretty much instantly in familiar territory here.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Really enjoyed this.

That opening scene was peak Wingard. Loved the use of Australian Crawl's Reckless. Excellent music choices throughout.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't seen any of his other movies tbf, but good to know he was most definitely not taking it seriously.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

esperterra posted:

I haven't seen any of his other movies tbf, but good to know he was most definitely not taking it seriously.

If you liked this, definitely watch The Guest.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Smellem Sexbad posted:

Really enjoyed this.

That opening scene was peak Wingard. Loved the use of Australian Crawl's Reckless. Excellent music choices throughout.

It feels like that's definitely His Thing, and I know it's manipulating the gently caress out of my nostalgia zone, but drat he's my favorite director at the moment in no small part due to this stuff.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
American Death Note is a fun and good movie that captures the tone of the source material while transplanting it to a new setting and condensing its timeline to film. The score is dope too and Willem Dafoe is the ideal Ryuk.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This movie was garbage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Mulderman posted:

This movie was garbage.

Counterpoint: this movie was good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Counter-counterpoint: this movie is dumb schlock.

But that's a good thing.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Movie is dumb trash that's got a couple good ideas and absolute garbage compared to the pretty good source material.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
If you would have told me before I watched this that Mi(s)a was the mastermind villain I would not believe you—oh wait, then the ferris wheel climax happened and Light planned every single beat of it somehow.

"GIVE ME MY loving BOOK" :byodame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That's not what happened in the Ferris wheel segment.

Mia came up with the original plan, with Light's name being written as leverage for him to give her the book. Light found out about this, and had enough time to improvise a counter-plan that would save him and take Mia out of the picture. The only implausible part is Light keeping a perfect poker face pretty much through the whole thing.

• Locked thread