Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Absolver is a game by Sloclap studios and comes out Tuesday, August 29th on Steam and PS4. They are hoping for a 2018 release for Xbone if the game does well.

I'm not good at posting but I'm pretty excited for this game and haven't seen a thread for it yet. I'll just copy and paste some of the FAQ from Reddit.

What kind of game is Absolver?

Absolver is a bit hard to define and the concept of an ‘online melee action experience’ seems to suit it best as Absolver is ultimately a blend of an intense, customizable fighting game set within a beautiful yet modest online world. Players make the journey from lowly Prospect to vaunted Absolver by training through combat, finding and defeating specific characters in the world, and reaching the top of the Tower of Adal. Once they achieve Absolution they are free to roam the land engaging in combat, becoming a mentor to those that wish to learn from them, and entering into more traditional 1v1 matches. It is important to note that Absolver is not an online RPG or an MMO, the scale is relatively small compared to well known games in those genres and the online interactions are much more focused and personal without the large scale server populations one might expect from an MMO.

What is online gameplay like and can you play offline as well?

Absolver is a somewhat unique blend of online and offline game, both happening in the same experience with other players passively introduced to each other’s game similar to thatgamecompany’s Journey. While Absolver was designed and intended to played online with others, players can certainly play offline and even choose to limit other players from entering their game. Though possible to complete the game offline, the team at Sloclap highly recommends that players experience the multiplayer combat and social interaction that are inherent to Absolver’s design. The core of Absolver’s gameplay is its deep fighting mechanics and online combat. Prospects will enter the plains of Adal alone and encounter both AI-controlled opponents and live players through Absolver’s shared online experience structure. Players will roam the world as their own independent ‘server’ as the game seamlessly introduces other Prospects into their game experience. Once players encounter one another they will have a choice to engage in friendly sparring, more aggressive PvP combat, or cooperative PvE play with up to three players at once. Through online cooperative play each Prospect will be able to learn new moves from one another, progress on their path to Absolution, and gain experience points that can be spent on one of six attributes to improve their skills.

Will there be any microtransactions, paid DLC, or some sort of Season Pass?

There are several free content updates and expansions planned for the months after launch. If the game’s success and community warrant a larger paid expansion the team is certainly open to that path. There are no plans for microtransactions or a Season Pass for Absolver.

Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eypGqZtEQ

Oh yeah, there are some weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcPJEn2bpE

And Masks and different shades of clothes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-t-NVdIZ4w

Talk about Absolver here if you want!

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Still not sold on this game despite following its development for the last few months and playing way more For Honor than the game deserves. The customizable combat seems like a good idea, but lack of attack direction indicators like FH means a lot of different animations to try and commit to memory if you want to block anything on reaction. The footage I've seen makes it look like the combat lacks oomph, with hits landed feeling unsatisfying like blocked hits in other games. Despite its many problems, FH at least has a really good sense of weight to the combat and is incredibly satisfying when it works right. AI also seems just about braindead from footage I've seen of streamers who got early access, getting hit over and over by the same spammed move and not being able to fight back at all. With the whole pseudo-single player thing they have going, that's probably a bigger issue than anything else I've seen.

I really hope I'm wrong and this game is actually good. FH is a great idea for a game with a lot of dumb problems holding it back either because Ubisoft can't figure out how to fix them or doesn't care enough. It's basically the only game in a genre it made for itself, it will be interesting to see if this ends up being good enough to compete with it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Still not sold on this game despite following its development for the last few months and playing way more For Honor than the game deserves. The customizable combat seems like a good idea, but lack of attack direction indicators like FH means a lot of different animations to try and commit to memory if you want to block anything on reaction. The footage I've seen makes it look like the combat lacks oomph, with hits landed feeling unsatisfying like blocked hits in other games. Despite its many problems, FH at least has a really good sense of weight to the combat and is incredibly satisfying when it works right. AI also seems just about braindead from footage I've seen of streamers who got early access, getting hit over and over by the same spammed move and not being able to fight back at all. With the whole pseudo-single player thing they have going, that's probably a bigger issue than anything else I've seen.

I really hope I'm wrong and this game is actually good. FH is a great idea for a game with a lot of dumb problems holding it back either because Ubisoft can't figure out how to fix them or doesn't care enough. It's basically the only game in a genre it made for itself, it will be interesting to see if this ends up being good enough to compete with it.

Seconding this. From all the gameplay footage I've seen, there aren't multiple blocking stances, so holding block can negate high / mid / low attacks with no user input, which I think is garbage for a fighting game. I was really hype for the game and was almost about to preorder, but after watching gameplay videos, the easy blocking, poor AI, and cheesy moves that are hard to defend against held me off. I'm going to wait for reviews to flood in.

I absolutely love the student / mentor system idea. I'd love it if they added instanced dojos where you and your student could train. I really feel the combat is going to be lacklustre though, but this could just be due to the fact everyone is babby fresh and haven't had time to develop a feel and skill for the combat.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

In regards to the single player, a few thing's I've read is the story is only about 4 hours long and the PvE is just there to teach you moves. Basically the story is a 4 hour long tutorial to get to the "real game" which is PvP.

I would really like to see some reviews but I went ahead and pre-ordered it because it was on sale for like 22 bucks last week on PSN. I'll more than likely get $22 of enjoyment out of it.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I have been keeping an eye on this for about a year. It looks like it has potential to be a good pvp fighting game but I am a bit disappointed that they didn't flush out what could have been a really good pve experience too.

The NPCs just seem to stand there waiting for the player to arrive. It would have been so cool if they patrolled around, formed groups and competed with each other. It would have made the world feel so alive and interesting.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I got to play for about 30 minutes last night. The combat dummies do just stand there but the NPC's were pretty aggressive and almost beat me a few times. The combat is pretty fun and I don't really have the hang of it yet. I can't wait to get home from work and play more.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

A note on blocking: I'm pretty sure you lose more stamina defending than attacking, so turtling without countering quick puts you at a disadvantage.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Hi I already bought this game and was going to make a thread if it wasn't absolutely awful, but looks like someone beat me to it. I'm going to be the sweatiest tryhard in this game if it's any good

screech on the beach posted:

I got to play for about 30 minutes last night. The combat dummies do just stand there but the NPC's were pretty aggressive and almost beat me a few times. The combat is pretty fun and I don't really have the hang of it yet. I can't wait to get home from work and play more.

How are you playing already? Is it already out in another region or something?

Edit: Oh, you're probably on a console

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Minorkos posted:

How are you playing already? Is it already out in another region or something?

Edit: Oh, you're probably on a console

Yep. PS4 launched at midnight.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Game looks cool, couple more hours and I'm gonna be punchin dudes up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I pre-ordered this cuz it looked cool, logged in at midnight last night and couldn't connect to the servers at all. Hopefully this evening will go better

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Been playing last few hours, game is good!

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Is it possible to play/do well in this game with mouse and keyboard? It looks interesting but I don't own a controller and I don't really want to get one to play this one game.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
The RPG component of this game feels not only unfinished, but that it's an anchor to the otherwise interesting tactical gameplay of assembling your own fighting character and doesn't feel like it adds any depth to the gameplay.

The drop in/drop out gameplay causes tons of weird desync errors and is either makes fights into a joke or makes everything into a hassle as you get wrapped up into multiple PVP encounters which can reset the area.

The game also of course has unmentioned region-restriction with no option to change it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Emalde posted:

The game also of course has unmentioned region-restriction with no option to change it.

To expand on this, its 100% impossible to play with people in other regions, whether you're VPNing or change your Steam Download region. Potentially theres a workaround in terms of buying the game from whichever region you want to play in, but not yet tested this and its less then ideal anyway. That didn't work either.

I'm a mite irritated since they seem to have gone out of their way to very carefully not talk about this in any way before release, even avoiding it in their FAQ.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 30, 2017

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

have you seen my baby posted:

Is it possible to play/do well in this game with mouse and keyboard? It looks interesting but I don't own a controller and I don't really want to get one to play this one game.

Yes. And from what I hear, it isn't to bad either.

Also I havnt had any desync issues myself but I heard Aussies are having some big problems with lag.

That region lock thing is kinda lame, but the game is really about the 1v1 mode at shrines anyway.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Game is fun but I'm really really really really bad at it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm terrible at finding the bosses in this game. Feels like I've wandered all over every map at this point yet I still havent found a few of the Marked Ones. I'm digging it so far though

I havent really been focusing on leveling up at all, since I have no idea what I want to put my points into, so I'm like level 18 now but have only invested 2 points so far.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Finished the game and started grinding PVP. Let's list some issues:

1. No respec :lol:
2. Over 100 moves to "unlock", the gameplay of which is literally "stand still/mash dodge while NPC/Players throw moves at you"
2a. NPC spawns are randomized within their respective regions
2b. Unlocking moves requires not only absorbing the attack repeatedly, but then also winning. Chances are if you want to try and accomplish this via PVP, you're going to lose to the guy who has spent more time to obtain esoteric attacks and probably has more RPG stats than you
3. No fixed stat-balance PVP modes (or if they do exist they have to be unlocked by winning at regular exhibition PVP)

I have more but wow is this game absolutely chock full of half-baked ideas that all serve as direct barriers to what was ostensibly meant to be a unique take on a PVP fighting game.

Also can I please have like, a map or at least a compass for the overworld? This Escher poo poo isn't cutting it (lmao at the 6th boss who is hidden under a dark rear end stairwell in an alley you may very well never spot in the tower of adel)

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I'm sure I just need to get good, but fighting more than 1 person is cumbersome and not very fun so far. I did go Windfall so I might try Khalt or Forsaken later but I'm guessing that won't help.

It keeps desyncing on me online, I'll see the message that someone has entered the area and all the NPC's will disappear. I wandered around Bird Call Village(?) and it was completely empty, finally enemies started appearing and boom someone entered the zone and they all popped. I might have to just play offline later. Pretty frustrating.

When it works and it's 1v1 I'm having fun, so I guess that's something.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I'm sure I just need to get good, but fighting more than 1 person is cumbersome and not very fun so far. I did go Windfall so I might try Khalt or Forsaken later but I'm guessing that won't help.
For multiple AI opponents, it's best to bounce between them with attacks to keep them wary, don't focus on one unless the others have backed off. The game has a soft targeting system where you can snap your target to other enemies while locked on to a different one.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game kicks rear end but the 21:9 support is really weird, the lack of a real map sucks, and I have a lot of connectivity issues. Fighting the first two maskless goons was a brutal challenge but patience and switching into blunt armor seemed to be key.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Emalde posted:

Also can I please have like, a map or at least a compass for the overworld? This Escher poo poo isn't cutting it (lmao at the 6th boss who is hidden under a dark rear end stairwell in an alley you may very well never spot in the tower of adel)

Guess which boss I spent about 3-4 hours looking for...Seriously, gently caress whoever thought the map at the shrines that has virtually no identifiable landmarks was a good loving idea.

Is the entire game just those 3 areas you see on the map at shrines? I thought it was just a starting zone...

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I think this game is cool even though I am not very good at it. I'm glad the servers are up now, although the areas feel sort of small once you start buddying up.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Pinny posted:

Is the entire game just those 3 areas you see on the map at shrines? I thought it was just a starting zone...
As far as I know, yeah. The pve content is really just there to get you ready for pvp.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pinny posted:

Guess which boss I spent about 3-4 hours looking for...Seriously, gently caress whoever thought the map at the shrines that has virtually no identifiable landmarks was a good loving idea.

I think thats it, which is disappointing because the PvE had been implied to be more substantial. Also real player encounters are a lot more common than I expected, so it feels more like an MMO than, say, Journey.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Game feels real good for me, the couple people I've run into out in the world made for neat fights and it's only hiccuped once or twice on my end.

However X v 1 fights suuuuuuuuuuuuuck rear end super bad, game feels very much not designed for them, at least unless there's some other thing to equalize that I've yet to learn.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

I learned that fighting multiple enemies is pretty easy as Forsaken. Normally when fighting a guy you have to guess whether an attack is coming from the left or right for the parry, but if you're fighting 2 guys and the other guy is always off to your right, you can always parry it by putting your analog stick to the right. As long as you get the timing down you can go through 3 v 1s without taking any damage at all

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

I learned that fighting multiple enemies is pretty easy as Forsaken. Normally when fighting a guy you have to guess whether an attack is coming from the left or right for the parry, but if you're fighting 2 guys and the other guy is always off to your right, you can always parry it by putting your analog stick to the right. As long as you get the timing down you can go through 3 v 1s without taking any damage at all

so it has the same gank mechanics as For Honor? If you're focused on a dude in the middle, and a 2nd opponent to the right attacks, if you hold right it'll block all his attacks? does it also give you invulnerability during that time? so blocking someone's attack keeps you safe if someone else attacks at the same time?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Windfall Stagger or bust.
Annoying thing about unlocking Stagger - You can't edit any of the chains until you play a tonne in Combat Trials. (And by default, it's nowhere near as strong as I was on Windfall)

Also, are there Mentors for the other schools to join?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Shockeh posted:

Windfall Stagger or bust.
Annoying thing about unlocking Stagger - You can't edit any of the chains until you play a tonne in Combat Trials. (And by default, it's nowhere near as strong as I was on Windfall)

Also, are there Mentors for the other schools to join?
You could just build your own Stagger deck while using the Stagger style from the school. There are NPCs roaming that have Stagger moves, such as Jinn Mesca (who starts appearing in various locations when you hit level 25).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Q8ee posted:

so it has the same gank mechanics as For Honor? If you're focused on a dude in the middle, and a 2nd opponent to the right attacks, if you hold right it'll block all his attacks? does it also give you invulnerability during that time? so blocking someone's attack keeps you safe if someone else attacks at the same time?
Regular blocking is full 360 coverage and prevents all non-weapon damage. It's not something you want to be doing for very long in a fight with someone, let alone multiple people, as that's a great way to lose all your stamina and get stomped. It's also not a situation you'll find yourself in very often unless you're fighting pve or really get into 3v3 pvp once that's released.

One of the four fighting styles has a parry they can throw out, and that can be used to get anyone coming at you from the side if you time it right.

Anyone coming up with some theorycrafted bullshit on game balance right now needs to put some time into the game first.

e: I don't really mean that in a lovely "lol get good" way, just that this game has a lot going on and direct comparisons to other games are going to fall flat in some pretty critical ways. There are some surface-level comparisons to be made to stuff like Dark Souls or For Honor, but there's so much more complexity to the combat there than either game that any such comparisons should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 30, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Using Khalt with huge loping hooks and uppercuts as my left mouse attack and my right mouse alternate attack is an annoying low kick that I use to interrupt enemies or start a combo.

It's been nasty effective. I haven't leveled up any stats and killed a boss with this set up.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's been nasty effective. I haven't leveled up any stats and killed a boss with this set up.

Good opening move followed by armored attack followed by guard break has thrown people for a loop super often so far, kahlt here as well and zero points put into my stats until I better understand them also. :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Stats have extremely precipitous drops of effectiveness once you invest a little, so you're almost certainly safe getting at least everything to 10 before you specialize.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Picked this up for PS4 on a whim. It's a pretty game with a likable atmosphere (really enjoyed the detail of the sun scooting around the sky to achieve the appropriate lighting for a zone transition) and combat is reasonably fun but it takes WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too long to pick up new moves via blocking them. I'd like to play around with the combat deck and individualize my moves a bit, but it feels like I'd have to grind insanely hard to make that happen. I killed like four or five bosses before I learned even one move. And there's what, ten bosses in the game total?

The setting is probably the standout aspect of the game to me, it looks cool and is pretty big and interesting to poke around. But the levels are quite empty, there isn't too much of interest in them. A better map might have been good though I think they do an okay job of making it hard to get lost. Mostly the levels make me wish the player character felt more mobile and less hemmed in than it does. I mean, I'm a super kung fu fighter but I can't jump onto poo poo or run on a wall or whatever? I get that they wanted this to be some sort of a fighting game mostly, so they didn't have strong incentive to make it so running around to cheesily avoid a fight is possible, but I'd like if my guy felt less pokey and clumsy.

The RPG aspects haven't done much for me so far. Dress up is nice but I feel like I don't have any in-the-moment feedback as to what my stats are accomplishing.

The connectivity is kind of goofy. When there's other players around, even PvE gets quite rubberbandy and unpredictable. Could just be lovely connections on the other end but still, big whoops.

Haven't really dug into the PvP yet so I'll give that a try before I think about whether I regret the buy or no.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I don't think I would recommend this game unless it's really calling to you. The ability to create your own moveset is great and I enjoy the rthym of the fighting.

The game definitely begs for other areas to explore and fight in however and is a tremendous letdown in that regard.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Also, the game really wants you to learn moves from other players and not from NPCs. When you fight other players you gain at a much accelerated rate.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I only played around an hour yesterday, and my experience was fairly mixed. It was fun throwing jabs at dudes and meeting random players in the game world, but the controls seem pretty unintuitive to me. Holding RT and flicking the parry stick to switch stances? Really intensive inputs for something you need to be doing constantly, especially considering you need to be ready to parry at all times. Maybe that's something I can get used to with time but jeez

Also the performance in this game is pretty drat choppy for me. Seems like the city areas dip my framerate down to 50 or even 40 at times, which is pretty bad in a brawler game based on reactions and stuff. I kinda expected the game to run much better considering it isn't graphically very impressive. For Honor ran at a solid 60 FPS and looked much better.

I think I can make do since I'm only interested in PvP, and I assume the PvP arenas aren't graphically intensive. But drat son, I really didn't think this game would be a "must upgrade PC" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Minorkos posted:

but the controls seem pretty unintuitive to me. Holding RT and flicking the parry stick to switch stances? Really intensive inputs for something you need to be doing constantly, especially considering you need to be ready to parry at all times.

This is generally not actually how you're supposed to accomplish this. It is an option, and one you'll be doing during the pauses in combat, but directional parries aren't based on stance and when you have a full 16-slot combat deck, you'll have a lot of freedom to determine your stance based on combos alone.

Anybody want to get into a coop game so we can grind out Rakkio's combat deck real quick? Trying to do it via anonymous PVP is rough.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 30, 2017

• Locked thread