Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Let’s talk about books. I’ve read a few bike related books, and have a few more on my shelf. I thought this would be a good place to discuss them and maybe we all find something new to add to our backlog.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - This really isn’t a motorcycle book, but it’s going to come up anyway. It didn’t live up to the hype to me. Maybe I just didn’t “get” it.

Stealing Speed - The story of Ernst Degner, and his defection from East Germany with the secrets of 2-Stroke engines. This had a great mix of action and technical info, but without being overwhelming to someone who’s not mechanically inclined. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the Cold War or GP racing.

Jupiter’s Travels - Ted Simon’s journey around the world on his Triumph. I’m only about a third of the way through this so far, but loving it. He does a great job describing the people he meets throughout his journey. It’s also fun to see his riding skills develop since he barely has his license when he picks up the bike in the beginning.

The Perfect Vehicle I picked this up at a library book sale and was pretty impressed. It was nice to read from the perspective of someone who wasn’t a total gearhead to begin with. Give it to someone who’s on the fence about riding.

One Man Caravan - I haven’t gotten to read this yet, but the author has quite a resume to add to being one of the first to circumnavigate the world on a bike.

Long Way Round - The book of the TV series that launched a thousand dentists on BMWs. Maybe this is a good book, or maybe we all just hate Charlie and Ewan.

So what are you reading, goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Skreemer posted:

Peter Egan's "Leanings" volumes 1, 2, and 3.
Editor of "Cycle World" magazine and he knows how to turn a phrase. The books are a collection of stories and memories of his years of riding. There are some good tips and tricks in there from time to time as well.

"The Man Who Would Stop at Nothing: Long-Distance Motorcycling's Endless Road" <-- Side note, Written by Melissa Holbrook, same writer of "The Perfect Vehicle"
Small introduction the world of Iron Butt and also a biography of John Ryan, a long distance motorcyclist with diabetes. He's set records with travel times between coasts, and from Alaska to the Florida keys. I read it to get an inspirational story, and came away with thinking this guy is dangerous as hell. He had basically forsaken everything else, including his health, to be on the road and riding. It's still a very good read, and does go into the trials and tribulations of distance riding very well.

For random short stories I used to like the Brit rags, TWO (Two Wheels Only), Fast Riders, and BIKE. They are getting difficult to get off the newsstand though.

Peter Egan has some fantastic stuff. I only have one of the Leanings (2, I think), but it's a great collection. I grab it when I want a quick read.

And after a couple pages, I'm adding Traction to my list

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Dielectric posted:

The Perfect Vehicle: What is it About Motorcycles - total shitshow. I made it through a few chapters of self-involved nonsense and quit. The only other book I've stopped reading before the end was A Song of Ice and Fire, so there.

I did like Hell's Angels, which had about as much to do with motorcycling as Zen did. A Twist of the Wrist was OK, but I think that the MSF course drills it into you better.

The pro-read is Tony Foale's chassis book. I'm gonna go make up a frame with this sick HF stick welder now. Something something ...put the Bi in Bimota...

I didn't think Perfect Vehicle was complete trash, but my favorite part might have been getting introduced to Robert Edison Fulton. You can buy his farm, if you have some money.

builds character posted:

It's a tough genre without a lot of great books, which is too bad because bikes are great and people should write about them.

Maybe the majority of writers who ride just end up going to magazines.

Razzled posted:

does tron count

Only this version:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ridgewell posted:

If anybody has recommendations for practical riding advice, especially for beginners and intermediate riders, I'd be happy to get some.

Total Control and Sport Riding Techniques are good choices as well.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm reading Shop Class as Soul Craft right now and it's pretty good, it the deeper philosophy stuff gets boring.

Lois on the Loose was really good.

The concept of that one sounded good, but I was worried that it would turn into "Millennials :argh:". Does it avoid that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Oh cool. I'll have to check it out then.

For another non motorcycle adventure, I'll throw out Joshua Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World. The guy is funny even though over 100 years of changes in language.

• Locked thread