Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Has anyone here read Lois on the Loose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Man I love Traction. I get a little tired of the shilling for Beta, but I guess you gotta pay bills.

I thought the latest issue's article on injuries was interesting.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm reading Shop Class as Soul Craft right now and it's pretty good, it the deeper philosophy stuff gets boring.

Lois on the Loose was really good.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Deeters posted:

The concept of that one sounded good, but I was worried that it would turn into "Millennials :argh:". Does it avoid that?

So far, it does. I'm about 2/3 of the way through. It's more a Mike Rowe approach. The author is a Ph.D. in philosophy, so he has enough years in academia to shred the inherent self-importance that comes with college degrees. He goes down a Pirsig-style path of essentialism a lot, but the basic premise is that we're doing ourselves a disservice both as individuals and as a society by devaluing manual work, trades, self-reliance, mechanical skills, etc. It gets kind of close to "men aren't manly enough any more," but not too bad. Overall, he places the blame on society as a whole devaluing trade work and falsely inflating the importance of college degrees and points out that it began during the industrial revolution, not recently. The individual is the victim, not the culprit.

• Locked thread