Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best one?
This one?
This one.
This one!
Swords are tools for killing Ms Kaoru
View Results

• Locked thread
M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Oh god please be good.:pray:
either way i am In :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay I have two things I need to know. I read Kenshin all the way through, it and Buso Renkin are like my favorite manga, Watsuki is a loving god, so I just need to know two things.

1) Is this a real actual OG canon Kenshin continuation or is this with the reboot movie tie-in thing? I never read the reboot, so if I gotta catch up, I wanna know now.
2) Saito hosed off to Hokkaido at the end of Jinchu, are we finally gonna loving get the Kenshin vs. Saito fight? :catstare:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VJeff posted:

Okay I have two things I need to know. I read Kenshin all the way through, it and Buso Renkin are like my favorite manga, Watsuki is a loving god, so I just need to know two things.

1) Is this a real actual OG canon Kenshin continuation or is this with the reboot movie tie-in thing? I never read the reboot, so if I gotta catch up, I wanna know now.
2) Saito hosed off to Hokkaido at the end of Jinchu, are we finally gonna loving get the Kenshin vs. Saito fight? :catstare:
Isn't Kenshin "crippled" in the sense that he can no longer do Hiten-Mitsurugi properly due to the fact that, while skilled, he lacked the proper build / muscle mass like his master?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Isn't Kenshin "crippled" in the sense that he can no longer do Hiten-Mitsurugi properly due to the fact that, while skilled, he lacked the proper build / muscle mass like his master?

yea the ending and epilogue make it clear that he can't fight anymore, but that doesn't mean they can't figure out a way to get around/fix that if the author wants kenshin to fight

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think the idea is he can still fight but he can't do the ridiculous superhuman feats of strength that Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu entailed, like, he can't do "Shinsoku" anymore. Which yeah I guess would make fighting Saito pretty impossible, huh.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VJeff posted:

1) Check my post towards the bottom of the previous post if you haven't already. It is a full on follow-up that has nothing to do with the movies. Supposedly, Watsuki had ideas for a Hokkaido arc at the time, but left them on the drawing room floor as the series seemed to be a more satisfying conclusion.

2) Doubtful tbh. Unless you end up with Saito as an antagonist (for some reason) they really don't have a reason to fight one another. And absent that, they've both already sort of decided that they don't need to see how it ends with Kenshin as he is.

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea the ending and epilogue make it clear that he can't fight anymore, but that doesn't mean they can't figure out a way to get around/fix that if the author wants kenshin to fight

My suspicion is that they'll probably focus mostly on the extended cast doing their fights, with one or two big battles from Kenshin himself.

The new stuff is picking up roughly where the epilogue left off, so Kenshin can still fight, he just isn't a sword god or anything. I'm guessing that if they want to give a 'full power' style fight, they'll probably do something similar to MHA or Iron Blooded Orphans and have it actively causing permanent harm to fight at his old pace.

That said, I'm actually more excited about The fact that Enishi is seen in the cast of people involved. Watching him righteously wreck someone's poo poo will be amazing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah Kenshin can still fight. He's just probably on a level below that of Saito, Aoshi and the heavy's and more like on Sano's level.

I just hope that since we are seeing shishio leftovers Soujiro comes thru and wrecks some motherfuckers.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Dexo posted:

Yeah Kenshin can still fight. He's just probably on a level below that of Saito, Aoshi and the heavy's and more like on Sano's level.

I just hope that since we are seeing shishio leftovers Soujiro comes thru and wrecks some motherfuckers.

Soujiro is also on the splash image, so it is likely he shows up at the very least .

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Just read the first chapter(it's up on Viz)

Pretty good set up chapter.

Also a sweet retcon of some chapter one stuff. But meh.

lmao I hope whenever Kenshin has to use a sword he has to always ask Yahiko for the reverse blade and hope he's around.

God I forget just how much I love Watsuki's art.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 5, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

Dexo posted:

Just read the first chapter(it's up on Viz)

Pretty good set up chapter.

Also a sweet retcon of some chapter one stuff. But meh.

lmao I hope whenever Kenshin has to use a sword he has to always ask Yahiko for the reverse blade and hope he's around.

God I forget just how much I love Watsuki's art.

Good chapter was good. Great hook for the upcoming arc, and the new cast looks interesting.

Cute nod that the way they decided to peace bond Mugenjin was by wrapping it up in bandages.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Caros posted:

Good chapter was good. Great hook for the upcoming arc, and the new cast looks interesting.

Cute nod that the way they decided to peace bond Mugenjin was by wrapping it up in bandages.

I love Watsuki's dumb motifs.

Like when Kenshin was lost his Sword was literally all chained up, and when he finally found the Answer, he drew visual of the chains literally breaking.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Can I get the chapter link, I'm not seeing it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Can I get the chapter link, I'm not seeing it.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

OH you have to buy an issue, nevermind then.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
It's a loving dollar

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tarodia posted:

It's a loving dollar

This, its good stuff, cheap, support good stuff.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Meh, I'm not gonna moralize as I have stolen/pirated a toooon of poo poo over the years.

Hell I still mostly read scanlations, but still pay the 25 a year for SJ.

I like to support poo poo I wish was around when I got into Manga in the late 90s.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tarodia posted:

It's a loving dollar

Not even, there is a trial period for right now if you are that cheap.

Scanlators will probably take a week or two to pick it up, since it will rely on a group deciding they want to translate it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Its not available for my people!!! gently caress!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Plutonis posted:

Its not available for my people!!! gently caress!

I feel ya.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Did SJ ever fix the dumb-as-poo poo manga reader they had? I didn't re-up my sub years ago because of it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://readms.net/r/rurouni_kenshin_hokkaido_arc/01/4568/1

For you cheap rear end thieving brokebois

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thank you!!!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Holy poo poo that translation is painfully bad. I mean, thanks on behalf of other people, but that is just horrendous.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The Sandman posted:

What interests me is that I remember a bunch of author's notes and drawings in the manga related to a Hokkaido arc he had planned that he ended up not getting to because he decided to cancel the manga instead.

So, you know, this isn't just a cash grab. It's also something that actually was in the works when the manga originally ended almost twenty years ago.

...now to start figuring out how to slot this in as a prequel to Golden Kamuy.

I'm excited to see the return of this series and what could have been the final arc. Also, what's Golden Kamuy?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mraagvpeine posted:

Also, what's Golden Kamuy?
A pretty drat cool manga (soon to be anime!)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you like boners and eating animal brains, golden kamuy is the manga for you

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Golden Kamui gave us :nws: this masterpiece of a two-page spread :nws: and is legit the best seinen manga running right now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yutaro the Savage.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Barudak posted:

Finally, we find out how Kenshin gets an incurable disease that kills him in a bad movie nobody liked.

With all the blood he bathed in over the years, I'd be surprised if he didn't contract a horrible disease.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
once i heard that this was coming out, i decided to re-watch/re-read all of kenshin which i hadn't done in the past like, 12 years (so since i was like 13)

its really, really odd how duped you get through the eyes of a kid w/r/t what the series is actually about. the shonen anime in my memory has kenshin much more of a generic protagonist than he really is, i kinda just lumped him together with goku / yusuke urameshi and those guys that were on toonami at that time when i was growing up. in rewatching the series though, dude's literally way more hosed up than i think most kids around the age i was when i first watched this would recognize - he's got pretty ludicrous ptsd and has a genuine split personality which is a scary thing to imagine.

the kyoto arc remains an utter masterpiece. the way they explore a character so deep, make such aesthetically appealing villains and make us care about every little thing is just amazing. sojiro mirroring kenshin if he hadn't found hiko was brilliant, much better than i remember growing up. the themes of forgiveness are so strong in this story and are really great to watch - you can't NOT want sojiro to find happiness despite him being a mass murderer (just like kenshin is). i even rewatched the apparently new retelling of the kyoto arc, the animation is AMAZING but they miss out on so many story beats that it really ruins the whole thing. one memory that is burned in me from those early anime days was the scene when kenshin realizes his self-worth in mastering the succession technique...they just kinda skip that.there is no sojiro redemption, kenshin actually sorta kinda kills shishio, its all a bit weird.

the latter part of the kyoto arc - from when they enter the mountain hideout until they return to the city - really really deserves reanimation. RKs animation is one thing that just really has not held up well - the sound, character design, themes, dialogue, etc. are all so fantastic but it really suffers from that 90s era stuff animation. the coolest thing the anime does is those quick cutaways to the japanese text on black backgrounds, but its a bit of a letdown when these supposedly godlike swordsmen are moving around so statically.

one last thought before i move on but upon this rewatch you also sort of realize how ludicrously out of EVERYONES league kenshin is in terms of techinque. as a kid i never really put it together for whatever reason, but he has legitimately no challenge in the series until he faces sojiro, and its really heavily implied that kenshin in the "modern" day is far weaker than he was as the battousai. even against saito he lands what would otherwise be totally fatal attacks a few times over, he's very clearly dominant over him. i wonder what a prime shioshio vs a prime kenshin would be like. oh and also the set piece of the final battle of kyoto was amazing, there are few more distinctive battlegrounds than the erupting flames surrounding shioshios lair.

i only read the enishi arc this time around but honestly, not a huge fan of most of it. enishi himself just isn't that compelling and is one of the weaker designs for the main villains, though it's hard to top someone as distinctly horrifying as shishio. i did like that they didn't really up the ante it terms of skill and had kenshin failing because 1) his mental block re: anything concerning tomoe and 2) his body was literally starting to fall apart. lack of power creep is a nice thing in a shonen and is one thing RK does really well throughout, hell the protag is almost never seen at his maximum strength. not much really more to say about this arc but i was always glad with how it ended, kenshin is so incredibly endearing.

i would like to talk a bit about the manga telling of Trust&Betrayal. the OVA does it definitely better, the manga doesn't give you time to settle with tomoe or to really get a feel for how kenshin FINALLY has a moment of not-horribleness in his life. the only advantage the manga telling has over the OVA is that the comparison from Assassin Kenshin to Wanderer Kenshin is more striking, when you've come to love a nice goofball like Kenshin and then you go and see him literally slaughtering people on the street its pretty wild.

last thing i'd like to mention is Trust&Betryal itself. what a loving masterpiece. it stands alone as a great movie but as an RK fan it's really top notch. definitely has a lot more OOMPH if you watch it after watching through the kyoto arc in the anime/reading through it, because to see happy go lucky defender of the innocent (with a bit of a bad side) Kenshin as 15-year-old-super-murderer kenshin is so stark. seeing him have his heart broken the way he did after a lifetime of straight hell is really depressing, but knowing that he eventually finds home gives just enough levity. the animation is incredible in the OVA as well. a final point of comparison from my childhood memory but i always though of kenshin during the revolution as more of a "soldier on one side" that had a lot of problems with having to do soldier things - having the history of the time period contextualized for me and understanding that he was legitimately a Killer In The Shadows kinda puts him in a whole new light - poor guys life really was ruined

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was a good read, you have convinced me to re-read the manga.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Dexo posted:

Yutaro the Savage.

I don't think I saw this page, is this from the 1st chapter or one of the one-shots?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hopeford posted:

I don't think I saw this page, is this from the 1st chapter or one of the one-shots?

second chapter.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

tbp posted:

last thing i'd like to mention is Trust&Betryal itself. what a loving masterpiece. it stands alone as a great movie but as an RK fan it's really top notch. definitely has a lot more OOMPH if you watch it after watching through the kyoto arc in the anime/reading through it, because to see happy go lucky defender of the innocent (with a bit of a bad side) Kenshin as 15-year-old-super-murderer kenshin is so stark. seeing him have his heart broken the way he did after a lifetime of straight hell is really depressing, but knowing that he eventually finds home gives just enough levity. the animation is incredible in the OVA as well. a final point of comparison from my childhood memory but i always though of kenshin during the revolution as more of a "soldier on one side" that had a lot of problems with having to do soldier things - having the history of the time period contextualized for me and understanding that he was legitimately a Killer In The Shadows kinda puts him in a whole new light - poor guys life really was ruined

The OVAs are some well done film making, but I'll never get over how dissonant they are compared to the comic. It's very much sad samurais crying in the snow, which I think maybe does a poor job of underlining how big a difference his life with Tomoe ends up being compared to the 9 to 5 assassin gig. The best dark stories are ones that have moments of comic normalcy that help underline how hosed up the dark bits are (and keep the audience from becoming numbed by it), and I think there's a real lack of that.

Plus, they went on to spawn that weird grimdark ending movie, so gently caress that

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Dexo posted:

second chapter.

Wait second chapter is out? Neat. Is that on Viz's website? At the risk of sounding dumb, can't find the link to buy it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

The OVAs are some well done film making, but I'll never get over how dissonant they are compared to the comic. It's very much sad samurais crying in the snow, which I think maybe does a poor job of underlining how big a difference his life with Tomoe ends up being compared to the 9 to 5 assassin gig. The best dark stories are ones that have moments of comic normalcy that help underline how hosed up the dark bits are (and keep the audience from becoming numbed by it), and I think there's a real lack of that.

Plus, they went on to spawn that weird grimdark ending movie, so gently caress that

i still never watched the ending movie and i dont really want to, having a sad ending for kenshin after he finally got some happiness just wouldn't sit right with me.

you are right that the tone is like completely different - in the manga, they still have a bunch of gag panels with the pretty good shonen faces and stuff esp when kenshin brings tomoe back to the house for the first time.

one thing tha i think made the tone so different was also how the fights were staged. in the comic, kenshin is constantly doing Big Anime Attacks against Evil Villains. in the OVA he's...running around cutting down hapless goofball politicians and their out-of-shape bodyguards. you can feel good cheering for kenshin even as he does violence againsts someone like Aoshi or especially Shishio, even though you know he doesn't want to do it. it's really hard to cheer him on though as he doubles down pushing his sword through the gut of some third-rate bodyguard, or when he stabs tomoes fiance through the neck as he cries for life on the ground.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Thinking about it, Ruroken has a really poo poo record regarding adaptations. Trust & Betrayal is good by itself but absolutely nothing like the source material in tone and mood. The anime was very good in many aspects but the constant studio changes made characters look like different people from one episode to another and everything past the Kyoto arc is a dumpster fire. All the original content (non-manga) OVAs & Movies are better off ignored and pretending they don't exist. The recent OVAs just make me go :psyduck: wondering why anyone would ever think those were a good idea even at the conceptual level. The first live action movie was okay but the second one isn't on Netflix so I haven't watched it yet.

Seeing Watsuki-sensei's art again is a treat. Ruroken is my favorite shonen pretty much ever, though HxH comes close and may surpass it if it ever finishes. Seeing this thread has made my day already.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i dont understand how the recent movie got the Kyoto arc as wrong as it did, which is also depressingbecause its existence means we wont see a properly animated update ever probably. imagine seeing kenshin vs shishio with full on fluid animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tbp posted:

lack of power creep is a nice thing in a shonen and is one thing RK does really well throughout, hell the protag is almost never seen at his maximum strength. not much really more to say about this arc but i was always glad with how it ended, kenshin is so incredibly endearing.

Yeah I think the most striking part of RK is how only Kaoru, Yahiko and Sanosuke get stronger and it's on believable ways.

• Locked thread