Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best one?
This one?
This one.
This one!
Swords are tools for killing Ms Kaoru
View Results

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is this 100% new material? Or is this adapting parts of the manga that never got animated (fyi I never read the manga)?

Is manga, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

tbp posted:

last thing i'd like to mention is Trust&Betryal itself. what a loving masterpiece. it stands alone as a great movie but as an RK fan it's really top notch. definitely has a lot more OOMPH if you watch it after watching through the kyoto arc in the anime/reading through it, because to see happy go lucky defender of the innocent (with a bit of a bad side) Kenshin as 15-year-old-super-murderer kenshin is so stark. seeing him have his heart broken the way he did after a lifetime of straight hell is really depressing, but knowing that he eventually finds home gives just enough levity. the animation is incredible in the OVA as well. a final point of comparison from my childhood memory but i always though of kenshin during the revolution as more of a "soldier on one side" that had a lot of problems with having to do soldier things - having the history of the time period contextualized for me and understanding that he was legitimately a Killer In The Shadows kinda puts him in a whole new light - poor guys life really was ruined

The OVAs are some well done film making, but I'll never get over how dissonant they are compared to the comic. It's very much sad samurais crying in the snow, which I think maybe does a poor job of underlining how big a difference his life with Tomoe ends up being compared to the 9 to 5 assassin gig. The best dark stories are ones that have moments of comic normalcy that help underline how hosed up the dark bits are (and keep the audience from becoming numbed by it), and I think there's a real lack of that.

Plus, they went on to spawn that weird grimdark ending movie, so gently caress that

• Locked thread