Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best one?
This one?
This one.
This one!
Swords are tools for killing Ms Kaoru
View Results

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

symphoniccacophony posted:

I don't know. Speaking strictly from the manga as I didn't watch the anime. I always thought that Misao and Aoshi are just playing the age old trope of the impulsive teenage girl with a crash on the too-cool-for-school older guy that's a staple for every other shoujo manga from that period. While sometimes the boy and girl do get together, I think this is the type where Aoshi treats her like a little sister, her crash is tolerated, but unrequited. All fitting in with his cool guy image.

Aoshi has a cool design, but his entire purpose in the series is to be a hurdle to jump over. After his first big battle with Kenshin, I thought he basically stopped having any character growth or even a personality, and I feel like I can hear Watsuki grinding his gear to think up a way to make Aoshi come back for the Kyoto chapter because he loved the character so much.

Not to excuse Watsuki for anything, but once you are aware of what he's done, it's hard not see the series through colored lenses and start cherry picking evidences and making connections that really didn't exist.

On the other hand...

Kenshin wiki article on Misao posted:

While Misao is 16, Watsuki wanted her to appear like a 13-year-old. He argued with his editors about the inclusion of Misao’s braid ...The author admitted that he enjoyed drawing Misao and she was one of his favourite characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so, uh, he was saying there was a whole ring of mangaka pedos he was gonna blow the lid on if he got a lighter sentence for it, did that end up happening?

I think a rando on Twitter may have made that part up.

• Locked thread