Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pimps, hos and James Francos :)

First episode was amazing, the recreation of the city/period is just excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

At the risk of being the white dude from La La Land, I think the idea with Treme was to make it like jazz - kinda chaotic and frenzied but when it works it's unbelievably good and even when it doesn't it's bizarrely compelling. It fit nicely with the weird disconnect of living in Post-Katrina New Orleans where everybody is just trying to make sense of an entirely nonsensical situation. So you have these varied, interesting (and often frustrating) characters living their lives, doing their thing etc but no overarching story or narrative holding it all together. I found it fascinating to watch on an episode by episode basis, but it never really grabbed me the same way that other stuff Simon has done did, because it lacked that sense of focus (which Show Me A Hero had in spades).

Absolutely agree with others about 70s NYC being an amazing aesthetic to explore - but then Treme had a fantastic visual and aural "look" to it too with all the issues listed above, so I'm hoping that they can keep the ensemble cast thing going without getting lost along the way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

empty baggie posted:

E: and the deacons actor, Melvin Williams (RIP), was the real life basis for Omar.

I think he was one of the inspirations for Avon, wasn't he?

Donnie who works for Butchie and helps Omar out at various times was played by Donnie Andrews, one of the inspirations for Omar. In real life he actually did an even more insane version of the "Spider-Man poo poo" that Omar does to escape the ambush in Monk's apartment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Really dug the second episode, Cici's line of bullshit is really fascinating in the way he throws out all this lovely talk and then just off-handed mentions how incredibly lovely life would be without him, while also whining about how lonely it is to be a pimp. What really got to me was when he shanks the wannabe rapist and then calmly tells Lori,"You gotta get back on the bike" and sends her out to get another john.

Candy's interest/fascination in filmmaking was both touching and depressing, though I have to admit to getting a good laugh out of the turkey baster scene.

Do I understand the scam Vincent and Bobby are pulling correctly? The mob fronts them the cash to pay the workers on Fridays instead of Bobby giving them their paychecks. Then they take the paychecks (which without taxes is a fair bit more than the cash already given out) to the mob who cash them in on Monday?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 19, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man this show is good. Seconding just how good Maggie Gyllenhal was when she got turned down for learning the "film business" and got told she could stand up front and be pretty instead.

I was positive that Larry was just stringing Darlene along to make her feel relaxed so he could punish her later for being late/not getting paid double. It wasn't until I saw his reaction to her reading/chatting with Abby that I started to think that maybe he was just genuinely being nice, though now he's having second thoughts/getting worried.

CC is scary because he manages to make everything seem so reasonable, and his exploitation is so smoothly shielded as guidance/mentoring. Which is why I loved Abby's :rolleyes: reaction to his "Educated but not intelligent" line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

So Sepinwall in his review acts like this is the first time Vincent and Abby slept together, but weren't they already hooking up in the first episode? Or did I mistake her for another character?

e: also jfc the actress who plays Abby is 37 years old

No loving way :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Rodney/Candy scene was incredible - the way he was just hammering her relentlessly to try and break her was so hosed up, made even worse by how deeply it was effecting her after all these episodes of seeing how resolute she can be.

I really like Vincent's character but so far I'm really not seeing the point of Frankie beyond pulling Vincent into the mob's orbit in the first place... and I guess as a complicated delivery mechanism for the,"Who the gently caress is that?" "That's Black Frankie!" exchange.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought that Harvey was going to fire Candy for inadvertently bringing CC into the picture, I was semi-relieved that he's actually trying to help her, even if it sounds like his way of helping is just to make her a slightly more exclusive prostitute with a madam instead of a pimp.

deoju posted:

The actress who plays the production assistant who refused to be a fluffer was in the Wire. In the Wire she played a heroin addict who turned to prostitution to feed her habit. She gives an incredible monolog about her inner addict and all the poo poo she's done.

I know she's playing two different characters but, when she scoffed like giving a hand job at work was beneath her it was kinda an :unsmith: moment for me.

Hey that's George Pelecanos' daughter! I didn't recognize her, it's cool she's not having to play somebody swirling down the drainhole like she did in the Wire... well not yet, anyway. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I only just recently caught up on the last two episodes, and man what a fantastic first season - I loved Treme but this show feels a lot more focused and much more akin to The Wire. The scene with Candy's brother insisting he isn't gay was just utterly heartbreaking. I also finally started to feel like Frankie was coming into his own as a character, though conversely I felt that Vincent faded more into the background/became less interesting of a character at the same time.

I don't think a single character wasn't in some way compelling or interesting, and I'm so loving thrilled that Lawrence Gilliard survived the season and will hopefully be around for the long haul :pray:

3Romeo posted:

Jerusalem, I know you read the thread - any interest in doing an ep by ep breakdown like with the Wire? Some of that poo poo was really insightful. I know the old thread belonged to escape artist, but I haven't seem them post anything in a couple years.

I think anything like that would be better served by being done when the series was complete, as Simon's stuff tends to work best when you have the complete story to refer to, but maybe :)

• Locked thread