Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is the retcon in question the thing where Terezi is guiding John to do a bunch of cryptic things towards the end? See, I was honestly alright with all that, because Act 6 had sucked all that time due to the aforementioned "poo poo is drawn out too long and there are way too many characters" so maybe I just stopped paying attention and was sort of pleased that somebody else was as annoyed by the lack of conclusions as I was.

I guess if you were invested in that last period of years then maybe it'd be really frustrating but I just wanted to see the story begun with four kids and some weird online trolls actually conclude and it seemed like Egbert was on the same page in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I didn't like the ending because they spent what feels like 70% of the comic hyping up the big bad of the series and he's getting ready to a big attack and and and

It cuts to everyone having a nice picnic with what amounts to "he died offscreen I guess" written in the sky.

There's stuff like the retcon that happened but by that point I wasn't terribly invested in the characters anymore so I just wrote it off as "this is stupid and awful but whatever."

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm glad I only spent $25 on the The Odd Gentlemen's slush fund kickstarter. Kinda wish I had put some of that towards getting my name in Undertale's credits but oh well.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I watched Collide after giving up on homestuck early on act 6 after reading it for years, and had no idea what was going on. I chalked it up to missing a whole bunch of development and resolved to finish what I'd started later.

At some point I picked up where I left off originally and finished the whole comic, and I still had no idea what was going on by the end except somehow everything ended up okay and everyone was happy.

Act 6 is bad.

Homestuck is bad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't really know Homestuck, but I'm curious, why did people hate the ending so much? Just because it's impossible to end a long running series like that in a way that pleases people?

the ending is bad, but it's not the worst thing ever. As an ending of literally three years of comics that were uniformly terrible and longer than when the comic was good, which literally includes a segment where the comic literally goes back and says the good parts never happened (I was fine with the retcon but I see why people hate it), its insultingly poor.

Also the comic explains what the ending is gonna be like literally a year beforehand, then plays that straight. It literally spoils itself. It's a nothing terrible ending that's awful and literally consists of a magic sperm flying around.

But to be clear, not the worst thing ever. The previous like 3 to 4 years prior to the ending were almost uniformly the worst, and that's why homestuck sucks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What was so bad about it?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cuntellectual posted:

What was so bad about it?

Everybody died horribly.

John Egbert literally retconed the whole comic to make it so everybody doesn't die horribly.

This resulted in years of character development being flushed down the drain, previously big deal events not mattering at all, a whole mess of plotholes, and a super boring, generic brawl to end things when Homestuck never used to do generic, boring or brawls.

The visual metaphor of a writer painting himself into a corner was solved by repainting the whole loving floor, and now it clashes with the walls and was super rushed and wasn't sealed properly so there's obviously missed spots and parts of it are peeling off with age.

Then he sold the house.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Remember the Itchy and Scratchy and Poochy episode of the Simpsons, where they introduce Poochy who is set up as this super cool and interesting guy, the fandom turns on him quickly, and then he's killed off off screen? Hussie almost literally did that with four new characters, who spent literal years in interminable romance subplots and were whiny cunts. He did this hand in hand with killing off and marginalizing the people the fans liked, who numbered around forty or so people, then going back on that and having them return as ghosts or phantoms or sentient memories. It felt like there were no stakes between the interminable lovely teen drama plotting of these four new characters everyone hated and there being no consequences or stakes to anything. Then he introduced two new characters, one of whom was a parody of an internet misogynist and thus so lovely he was intolerable to stomach even ironically, and the other who was a "parody" of Mary sue characters who everyone loved even though she was insanely boring and a complete cipher. The misogynist, by the way, is the spoiler guy, who tells everyone exactly how the story will end years prior to it ending.

The end of the four new characters was them realizing they sucked, but at that point it was too little and too late. Then everyone died, then the main character went back through the story and made it so that never happened, but in the process literally rewrites huge sections of the comic that were good so that they either didn't happen or happened differently. At this point the comic has the aforementioned straight line narrative to the ending, which coincidentally was already spoiled.

The comic closes nobody's arcs, there is no emotional closure or character development for most of the cast, there is the aforementioned introduction of new characters whose only reason to exist is to justify hussies writing failures, and it all builds to this finale that needed to be some incredible catharsis because there was no closure beforehand.

The ending is watching a magic sperm fly around. The end. Done.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 31, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I liked when Terezi was having fake courtroom drama with her stuffed dragons. That was fun.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Then he introduced two new characters, one of whom was a parody of an internet misogynist and thus so lovely he was intolerable to stomach even ironically,

was that the weird I LOVE BEING STRONG troll? that guy was funny

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

was that the weird I LOVE BEING STRONG troll? that guy was funny

no he owned

this one was an angry green skellington child

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing is that you wanted to root for the little gently caress because literally everything was stacked against him including the actual narrator.

I don't think that was intentional but who knows

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Burkion posted:

The best thing is that you wanted to root for the little gently caress because he pumped Gamzee full of lead for five consecutive pages

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Playable demo at PAX West. Spoilers, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N7U3oBVAXk

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
alas, cherub stuff in the first few moments

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Was hoping an adventure game based on MSPA stuff would be a lot more subversive of the genre, rather than just a by-the-numbers point'n'click.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SupSuper posted:

Was hoping an adventure game based on MSPA stuff would be a lot more subversive of the genre, rather than just a by-the-numbers point'n'click.

That the first selling point is basically "a point and click game without the annoying stuff that was the original basis of mspa's humor" is really entertaining to me

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I doubt this game will have even one data structure themed inventory joke.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Steam link added to OP. Game is six gigs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

Steam link added to OP. Game is six gigs.

That's bigger than I was expecting

legitimately not just in a 'haw haw, I didn't expect it to be anything' sense

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Yeah, no jokes. I'm going to take this as a positive sign, at least speaking to the artistic and audio content of the game - But, then again, those were probably the parts least in question.
'
Writing is definitely my biggest concern. Doubly so with Cherubs still playing such a factor, despite it being decently clear one of the main team members is still fairly one-eyed about them.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
It's actually happening. *stares dead eyed out the window*

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's always the potential it could not suck

I mean even at it's best it's gonna be a shallow imitation of Homestuck, but it could also not suck while doing so

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't think it's going to be a shallow imitation of homestuck.
Like if I was going to remake homestuck, I'd want something with more heavy editing, shorter and with more of a point. By the conceit of having a player playing the game, with a beginning and end of at least the episode, things must be reigned in and there's incentive to avoid anticlimax.

SIX GIGS has me kind of worried.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't think six gigs is anything to worry about, those art assets can take up serious space. Some of those Daedalic games take up that amount of space because they have high-fidelity 2D images and high-quality sound.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Pretty much every adventure game these days is in the order of GBs because of the voice acting.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

SupSuper posted:

Pretty much every adventure game these days is in the order of GBs because of the voice acting.

There is no voice acting in Hiveswap

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Plom Bar posted:

Let's be thankful for small victories like this.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Depending on how uncompressed the audio is, and I'm gonna guess none because everyone in this games dev team has given zero indication they give even the slightest poo poo about making things more convenient for consumers, that could easily be half or more of the games file size.

On the other hand the music will probably be the only quality thing about Hiveswap, since Toby Fox is competent, sooooooooo

life_source
May 11, 2008

the music will probably be the only quality thing about Hiveswap, since Toby Fox is competent, sooooooooo

life_source posted:

Let's be thankful for small victories like this.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Appears that Cyanide & Happiness is going the Homestuck route and using Kickstarter to fund an adventure game based on their webcomic

Honestly don't have anything to say other than it's a weird quirk of timing and also why do webcomics think they can do video games?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Appears that Cyanide & Happiness is going the Homestuck route and using Kickstarter to fund an adventure game based on their webcomic

Honestly don't have anything to say other than it's a weird quirk of timing and also why do webcomics think they can do video games?

See you in 2024 for the Cyanide and Happiness Kickstarter Adventurer game!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I remember waking up early to see the 4/13 update, it was Jack: Ascend. It was incredible, the music ruled, I was excited about what would happen next. That was 7 years ago and I was in high school. Homestuck is good, but it's long gone.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I think the closest game you can get to Sburb would probably be Terraria or something. I almost made the choice of backing Hiveswap, but I'm sort of glad I did not do that, for many reasons

Mostly that like most people who liked it, I burned the hell out on it during the 20 pauses amidst Act 6, which wasn't exactly stellar enough to be patient about those pauses.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Depending on how uncompressed the audio is, and I'm gonna guess none because everyone in this games dev team has given zero indication they give even the slightest poo poo about making things more convenient for consumers, that could easily be half or more of the games file size.

On the other hand the music will probably be the only quality thing about Hiveswap, since Toby Fox is competent, sooooooooo

Isn't another guy doing the main part of the music and Toby's only contributing now? James Roach.

ETA: if you want to check it out, Grubbles LP just went out via email.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 7, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Paperseverywhere (Adrienne Garcia: "Home" and "Run to you" lyricstucs, plus some Homestuck work) and Guzusuru (Angela Sham, "Lullaby for Gods" and Act 7) post some sketches and preliminary animations.

http://paperseverywhere.tumblr.com/post/165089840775/guzusuru-exclusive-behind-the-scenes-hiveswap

Adrienne's sketches to remind herself of how Homestuck characters are drawn:

http://paperseverywhere.tumblr.com/post/120499232325/this-is-by-no-means-a-comprehensive-guide-and-just

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

Then they're terrible at compression. For comparison, the entire Deponia trilogy which is all 2D hand-drawn backgrounds and characters, full VO, cutscenes, etc, is 9GB.

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

SupSuper posted:

Then they're terrible at compression.

there's a sbahj joke in here somewhere

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey, this thing finally got unmuted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsrCpRTSJ2E

Just add this to the OP as the explanation for Homestuck Claws. Has a better ending than the real comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i miss hero mode/hussnasty where characters didnt look like they were made of a collection of resized lima beans

• Locked thread