Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hussie's preposterously indirect and extraneous vocabulary is hard to emulate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Problem Sleuth is still better.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Okay I need an explanation. Hiveswap, Acts, Hauntswitch, Parts... what all do I get for Kickstarting this game? Do I get the next 3 games but then Hauntswitch is separate or does Hauntswitch count as a part of the full game I Kickstarted and I end up with 8 whole titles on my Steam?

Edit: Another question. I'm about an hour into the game (got my first character swap) so I don't know quite exactly what I'm missing so far in regards to how it works but... the steam store page for this talks about continuing your save from game to game... What would you even carry over? Don't you have to have a specific set of items for Adventure games to work or does this have a "he'll remember that later" mechanic I haven't seen yet?

Edit2: Goddamn now I have even more questions! Should I just read the thread? Tell me to shut up and just read the thread and I will. But...

quote:

Andrew Hussie and Ryan North have long since washed their hands of this project.
The writer and creative designer has no folio of work to show.
What? Hussie didn't/isn't writing for this? What the gently caress is he doing if he's not writing?

Okay I read some of the thread. What the gently caress ever.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 16, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DaveKap posted:

What? Hussie didn't/isn't writing for this? What the gently caress is he doing if he's not writing?

Hussie and Ryan North did outlining and notes; Hussie reviewed and approved content. God only knows what Hussie is currently doing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hussie and Ryan North did outlining and notes; Hussie reviewed and approved content. God only knows what Hussie is currently doing.
Yeah after doing some more Internetting I've landed on "he's retired." I would too if I had an empire of merch to fuel horse-loving habits.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Yeah after doing some more Internetting I've landed on "he's retired." I would too if I had an empire of merch to fuel horse-loving habits.

More likely that the stress of making this game and the slow decline of his comic sucked the enthusiasm out of him. He became more and more detached from his fans and towards the end he just seemed exhausted.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

DaveKap posted:

He doesn't seem to be retired at all though? He's still got the final say on everything that went in to Hiveswap and he's apparently got the epilogue and plans to release all of HS proper in book form with author footnotes as part of the partnership with Viz.

I mean, I posted this earlier today but the dude has clearly moved into more of a creative director/producer mode with a team of people he trusts to bring his wacky ideas to life rather than literally doing as much of the work as he can (aside from music and some flash assets) all on his own. I think this was the inevitable conclusion of where he was probably heading in the first place, just given what happened anytime he tried to NOT hoist Homestuck on his shoulders every waking moment.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Somebody showed up *yesterday* on Steam asking when Part 2 was. Even ever-hopeful, innocent I had to stifle a bitter chuckle.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Hussie has primary writing credits and North has additional writing credits so the idea that they "washed their hands" of this project (Hussie especially) is, at best, cynical speculation. Otherwise, I imagine North at the very least would have Alan Smithee'd himself off the credits.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

No Ryan North Haters in here

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Cohen has said on numerous occasions that he is more or less solely responsible. Hussie just looked over the scripts and said if things didn't work. By all accounts, him working on new characters without an established voice to gently caress up is going better than trying to imitate existing ones poorly.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Plom Bar posted:

Hussie has primary writing credits and North has additional writing credits so the idea that they "washed their hands" of this project (Hussie especially) is, at best, cynical speculation. Otherwise, I imagine North at the very least would have Alan Smithee'd himself off the credits.

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/908389955659091969

He posted this and retweeted a glowing review of the game, so I don’t think he’s pulled away from it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
excellent game, captures the early/mid homestuck feeling of telling a story about a vast and complicated world that is definitely going places, combined with the late homestuck feeling of knowing you're going to have to wait a year until anything meaningful happens

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I am disappointed that you can actually name the lusii, and that's actually their name.

It should give you a name prompt and then reject it regardless of what you enter

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

My biggest complaints about this game is there's absolutely no inventory shenanigans (although I guess those might have been a pain to actually play through) and there's no list of strife commands that all start with the letter A

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest complaint is something that isn't even in the game

People were talking about combining every item with everything and I thought, for a brief time, that you could actually mix poo poo and create new items/weapons

Turns out they were talking about using items to interact with stuff.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Okay, I played through it. Basically lasted longer to download than to play through, but hey, that was expected. Every single cutscene glitched out, freezing for a minute and then skipping directly back to the game. I figure I'll just look look them up on Youtube one day I'm really bored.

Anyway, it was cute, and short, and not horrible, probably because it was short and therefore didn't get enough time to crawl up its own rear end like Homestuck did.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Once you figure out how to play the piano, the tune is very pretty.

e: A fun post by James Roach about part of the soundtrack.

http://jamesroachmusic.tumblr.com/post/165408000047/living-legend-is-my-love-letter-to-the-way-nobuo

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 16, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Real missed opportunity with the Scratch sequence.

The bit where he's offers a 'one time opportunity for retroactive communication securing' you have the option to not say 'yes' to it.

I clicked that option, and a missile immediately hit Xerox, then it clipped to Joey as a big pile of bombs fell over and a glowing cube hit the floor.

At the moment I thought the cube was gonna explode, and be a great stupid game over gag, and have you reload from the Scratch conversation, but then it turned out it wasn't.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Destructoid says 7.5, from a reviewer who admits to having given up on reading Homestuck in Act 5 or so, possibly earlier.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
This thing is pretty loving cute but wow what a lovely game.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm doing a rerun; how do you get to the Scratch sequence?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It happens when you get Xefros out of his hive. For that you must push the sloth lusus out of the way, by luring it out with treats. For that you need to open the safe with your mind power and either the guide or the energy drink (there are two solutions to that puzzle).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Aha! When I got Xefros out of his lair, he was immediately crushed by rocks. I'll mess around there.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I played this without knowing any of the background drama or that it wasn't still Hussie's gig, and I liked it. Didn't have any of the glitches either, for whatever reason.

Just got stuck on that stupid second Snake game for like ten minutes! :argh:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

It happens when you get Xefros out of his hive. For that you must push the sloth lusus out of the way, by luring it out with treats. For that you need to open the safe with your mind power and either the guide or the energy drink (there are two solutions to that puzzle).

Oh, that explains why he smushed an energy drink against his forehead despite using the guide on the puzzle and never seeing him drink it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Cutscenes were a bit of a crapshoot for me. Sometimes they would work flawlessly, and sometimes I'd just get a black screen and suddenly my character was in a different area with some textual references to an unseen event.

.......yeah they better patch this up soon.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

After finishing Act 1 I realized there were around 20 achievements left, I'm assuming those are for things I've missed.

Have I missed anything interesting?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

After finishing Act 1 I realized there were around 20 achievements left, I'm assuming those are for things I've missed.

Have I missed anything interesting?

Did you put the pigeon on the piano?
Did you put the ballet shoes on A. Claire's picture?
Did you discover the hidden window in Jude's hideout?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I enjoyed this game but uh

wow it was pretty short

I cannot imagine how it could possibly have taken them this long to make such a short game

I guess they had to budget some time to being swindled by The Odd Gentlemen but still

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I redrew the serpents game because the faux pixel style annoyed me.
They used the spraycan tool :(

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I hated that loving puzzle with every fiber of my being

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Same.

I basically had to take a 50/50 guess every time and hoped I remembered the previous nonsense alien symbols when I inevitably failed

Also some times the letters would just be in an rear end in a top hat place

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Agreed, and on top of all that it doesnt control very well. The title screens are really nicely painted though.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i had a hard time until i realized the answer was on the note paper in the upper right corner of the screen

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It took me like 45 minutes to leave the first room because almost every item has unique dialogue with every clickable. Making that kickstarter $15 work for me. (If 2-4 ever get released, I'll get those included, though)

Also wow Jake is even more of a tool than previously thought. What the HELL

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

AriadneThread posted:

i had a hard time until i realized the answer was on the note paper in the upper right corner of the screen

This.

Also, before I realised that, I simply went to the desk and wrote down the name?

It.... uh, isn't that hard.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never noticed the note paper, honestly.

I didn't care too much about it because the puzzle was easy enough. Just go after one symbol, remember it if it's the right one, hope you don't get the game loving with you or the controls being a bit off.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I noticed the note paper but the controls were a touch wonky and occasionally the wrong letter would spawn right in my path. Glancing at the note paper while the game was ongoing only added to the frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

El Generico posted:

Problem Sleuth is still better.

• Locked thread