Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

WilliamAnderson posted:

No one knows! A running theory is that he is Chuck Tingle.

holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

No one knows! A running theory is that he is Chuck Tingle.

Can't be, his books don't have enough horses in them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

More details of the notes on Dammek's wall:

http://masswisteria.tumblr.com/post/165525305246/alternian-translations-4

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Called it months ago, Jackspeticeye is playing Hiveswap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPdNe3eATyQ

I haven't watched it (I'm waiting to play Hiveswap until all four episodes come out), but from what I've heard he seems to enjoy, good for him!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Has anyone tried to use the hint function?

Try it again.

Try it a few more times.

Try it when you're being other characters.

Try it again after you reach Alternia.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a hint function?

drat it

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Burkion posted:

There's a hint function?

drat it

It certainly hints at something.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Burkion posted:

There's a hint function?
drat it

Question mark in top right. Thanks, Plom Bar, I had given up on it.

I can't click on the TV with anything. Is that supposed to work? I mean, no text, not just no effect.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Aw heck, I'll just go ahead and spoil it.

Doc Scratch is in contact with Joey - and only Joey - and is pulling some strings here.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Holy poo poo.

(restarts second run from scratch)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Aw heck, I'll just go ahead and spoil it.

Doc Scratch is in contact with Joey - and only Joey - and is pulling some strings here.

Ugh, that guy really needs a hobby that isn't creeping on underage girls.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i should probably do a run though of the game again anyway, since apparently the first time i didn't get any ~achievements~ for god knows why
good to know there's still somehow plenty of stuff i missed for a 3 hour game

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I can't click on the TV with anything. Is that supposed to work? I mean, no text, not just no effect.
Smashing the tv as shown off in the trailer was apparently cut.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo.

(restarts second run from scratch)
Isn't that a loaded phrase?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That reminds me, Erik 'Jit' Scheele (who made One Year Older) played through the game on Twitch yesterday with his piano. Mostly he just played little bits on top of the background music, but he also improvised his own haunting melody. https://www.twitch.tv/jitters20

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just cashed in (technically gemmed in) a lot of worthless-to-me Steam cards to get a Hiveswap booster pack. I wound up with a Grubbels card that is, in theory, worth $22. Cashing that puppy in for actual cash; we'll see.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

The 1.1 patch has dropped. Steam players likely will automatically get it upon launching the game; if you opted for a DRM-free download like I did, simply use the link sent to you in e-mail and download the game again, just like with Undertale.

I will vouch that the game runs a hell of a lot smoother and the cutscenes are working reliably now.

Also, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrXI1_nbkQM

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Okay, starting a clean playthrough 3. Argh.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Well, drat it. The patch has broken it so I can't play on a Mac. Clicking the Simon game does not make it possible to get the batteries, and after you click the Simon game once you can't click anything else in the closet.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, drat it. The patch has broken it so I can't play on a Mac. Clicking the Simon game does not make it possible to get the batteries, and after you click the Simon game once you can't click anything else in the closet.

Oh, cruel irony! Though, I had a similar bug snag me in the trophy room, and reloading my save did the trick.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

Same.

I basically had to take a 50/50 guess every time and hoped I remembered the previous nonsense alien symbols when I inevitably failed

Also some times the letters would just be in an rear end in a top hat place

The password is on the top right corner of the screen after you look at Gammeks scribbles on his desk. It's right there in that screenshot!

edit: Oh gently caress I left this tab open on mobile. Disregard.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The password is on the top right corner of the screen after you look at Gammeks scribbles on his desk. It's right there in that screenshot!

You assume I did anything other than zero in on the bullshit game. I brute forced my way through, like any good puzzle solver!

it does amuse me that the answer was apparently right there though. I literally did not notice it. That'll make any future replays a lot easier

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Oh, cruel irony! Though, I had a similar bug snag me in the trophy room, and reloading my save did the trick.

Yeah, I reloaded an old save. Still bugged. :( And they don't list any way to submit bugs, so I posted in the Steam community and hoped for the best.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
despite the rife typos and bugginess i really enjoyed this game and plan to find all the secrets eventually

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I got a reply on the Steam community asking me to send bugs to inquiries@whatpumpkin.com, so I did.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
okay i try to remain relatively aloof of my media consumption choices but frankly the extended riff on Clarissa Explains it All in the first room has won my tentative approval

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's probably to coincide with the PS4 release

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah, Dammek's a jerk.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well yeah, he's a Troll.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Dammek and Vriska are going to do the DBZ fusion dance and become the most Problematic person in history

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Couple things:

1.) Why the gently caress is someone asking a person from the music team about this?

2.) Why the gently caress do content creators insist on answering questions like this? No good ever comes from it. When someone asks "Is this character good or bad" they're not looking for a real or well thought out answer. No matter what he said obsessive weirdos were just going to use it as ammunition to prove that their opinions are definitively right and harass anyone who disagrees with them because that's what gets them off. This is now "proof" that there is only one way to interrupt this character and God help you if you disagree or just like drawing fanart that depicts the character doing something "OOC". I've seen it before a thousand times.

I dunno, maybe it's all part of some complex scheme to power a generator via teenage nerd misery? I guess they gotta keep the lights on in the What Pumpkin studio on somehow.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The real question isn't if Dammek will be mean, it is if he will at the very least be less insanely boring than Xefros

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Dammek and Vriska are going to do the DBZ fusion dance and become the most Problematic person in history

In Hiveswap 2 it turns out Xefros actually has a crippling mental disorder and quickly spirals into self-loathing and depression whenever he forgets to take his meds. Dammek is the one who normally reminds him about it, but is now trapped on another planet.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Couple things:

1.) Why the gently caress is someone asking a person from the music team about this?

2.) Why the gently caress do content creators insist on answering questions like this? No good ever comes from it. When someone asks "Is this character good or bad" they're not looking for a real or well thought out answer. No matter what he said obsessive weirdos were just going to use it as ammunition to prove that their opinions are definitively right and harass anyone who disagrees with them because that's what gets them off. This is now "proof" that there is only one way to interrupt this character and God help you if you disagree or just like drawing fanart that depicts the character doing something "OOC". I've seen it before a thousand times.

I dunno, maybe it's all part of some complex scheme to power a generator via teenage nerd misery? I guess they gotta keep the lights on in the What Pumpkin studio on somehow.

To answer the second question, look to the implications of the first.

Roach is on the music team, which is almost wholly unconnected to creative decisions regarding Dammek's character and how he is portrayed, outside of some themes he might one day compose. As such, he is not Dammek's creator by any stretch, and so his answers to questions about his personality, moral compass, ideologies, etc. are as far from definitive as yours or mine would be. He may be chummy with the creators, but at the end of the day he likely sees himself as just another fan. He may just want to participate in the discussion, and I think he should be allowed.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The answer to thr first question is that James is fairly easy to contact and more likely to answer than anyone else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

The answer to thr first question is that James is fairly easy to contact and more likely to answer than anyone else.

I think you've hit on it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Hiveswap Act 2, coming Spring 2018

quote:

Today’s the first installment of the weekly TROLL CALL, which you can track here. New trolls will be revealed every Wednesday…and you can see them all in HIVESWAP: ACT 2, coming Spring 2018.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

36 trolls
god protect us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

The timing indicates that Act 2 won't be released until March 17 at the absolute earliest.

• Locked thread