Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's always been a debate over who's the biggest draft bust of all time. With Roberto Aguayo having been released by the Buccaneers a short while back, the idea came to me to have a tournament to determine exactly whom is the biggest bust. The only catch is that there can only be one player per franchise in this tournament, so you can't nominate every draft pick the Jets have made. You can nominate as many players as you want, but they have to be from different teams.

I'll get the ball rolling by nominating Amobi Okoye for the Texans. He was in over his head as soon as he came in, mainly because he was, like, 19. That was a bad pick all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It's Ryan Leaf

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bo Jackson, but you're the Bucs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'll nominate Russell Erxleben.

He was Aguayo on steroids, and drafted 11th overall in 1979 by the Saints. The idea was he would handle both punting and kicking and the Saints would save a roster spot. Turns out he sucked at both of those things, he stuck with the Saints for four years mostly as a bad punter before they gave up on him.

Not football related but he's also a gem of a person, going on to be convicted of mail fraud, money laundering and a ponzi scheme on separate occasions.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Fat Mike Williams was obviously doomed from the start.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Shangri-Law School posted:

Fat Mike Williams was obviously doomed from the start.

Benched at receiver for Josh McCown

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The easy pick would be Aguayo but nah

Christian Hackenberg

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What is the criteria? The player that flamed out the worst? The one who cost their team the most draft capital? The most hilarious? Also you gotta consider all the players that a team *could* have drafted at that same spot.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 30, 2017

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What is the criteria? The player that flamed out the worst? The one who cost their team the most draft capital? The most hilarious? Also you gotta consider all the players that a team *could* have drafted at that same spot.

this is an interesting point

imagine if a team didn't just waste a lot of picks, but intentionally blew an entire season to move up and draft a player. Even if he showed some promise, you'd expect like a ring or three for that, right? But what if the team was so bad that not only does he only play 2 or 3 years healthy, but it tops out at like a division title or something and then the team gives him permanent career-ending cancer?

Andrew Luck is the biggest bust in draft history.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Use your own judgement. There is no textbook definition of 'bust', but generally it's a high draft pick that should not have been a high draft pick.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rae Carruth because murder

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Ryan loving Leaf.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
The Seattle Seahawks have had many over their years... for the most recent and highest draft pick- I would argue Aaron Curry. But... considering their middling talent through most of their life, it's kind of hard to say any SPECIFIC one set them back. Koren Robinson was poo poo other than one or two plays a season. Rick Mirer got us a draft pick and was ok as a rookie, setting rookie records... Shawn Springs was actually not half loving bad as a cornerback...

Aaron Curry is just the one I keep coming back to as the one who was just so stupid that he's a coach for a team that.. well, I'd never even heard about them until now. I admit I'm not a huge college football fan, but, who the gently caress gets drafted from the Charlotte 49ers?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_49ers_football

Aaron Curry, he's not bad, he's super athletic, but he just can't grasp defensive concepts to stop a kitten from a ball of yarn.

Edit: For methodology I just looked back at high draft picks the Seahawks had and basically, well you can see the rest. If it was a high draft pick, ( <10), then I considered it for this. Seahawks have had others higher than that which I think could have set them back, but... Aaron curry though and the 2009 draft were all such crap, I'm still not set on Aaron Curry. It was a bad draft, but hell, they could have taken Alex Mack I guess? 4 overall though for a center... I mean retrospectively sure considering Alex Mack but come on. It's a hard call for the Seahawks.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 30, 2017

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Does Jared Goff have to flame out fully or can we vote on him with the information we know now?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Raku posted:

this is an interesting point

imagine if a team didn't just waste a lot of picks, but intentionally blew an entire season to move up and draft a player. Even if he showed some promise, you'd expect like a ring or three for that, right? But what if the team was so bad that not only does he only play 2 or 3 years healthy, but it tops out at like a division title or something and then the team gives him permanent career-ending cancer?

Andrew Luck is the biggest bust in draft history.

Bigger than RG3?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ja'Marcus Russel

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's sort of close for Baltimore but I'd have to say Kyle Boller over Travis Taylor. For all 3 years he started in Baltimore he was a bottom 3 QB. Boller held the franchise back during some prime years of Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, and Johnathan Ogden. He prevented Baltimore from pursuing better talent at QB like say Aaron Rodgers. He was drafted by Baltimore instead of using their 2nd rounder on Anquan and in order to trade up the Ravens had to give up their 2004 1st rounder, which the Patriots used to draft Vince Wilfork. Sadly, even with all that working for him, Boller doesn't have a chance in this contest.

Despite being the worst QB in the league during his tenure in Baltimore, Boller did occasionally flash. Some great and two superb players were available after him in the draft but no 1st ballot hall of famers. The Ravens traded a bit to get there, still Kyle was only the 19th pick of the draft. My man just doesn't have the pedigree to compete with the Ja'Marcuses of the world.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i second Russell Erxleben as the biggest draft bust of all time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cleveland's first round running backs as a group.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Randaconda posted:

Ja'Marcus Russel

Grip n sip and call it right here.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cade McNown, Cedric Benson, Curtis Enis, Rick Mirer, Gabe Carimi, Chris Williams, David Terrell, Rashaan Salaam, John Thierry, Marc Colombo, Alonzo Spellman, Bob Sapp, oh my God gently caress the Bears...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I mean, the Patriots took Tony Eason instead of Dan Marino in 1983 lol. That shouldn't win or anything, but it's pretty funny.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

I mean, the Patriots took Tony Eason instead of Dan Marino in 1983 lol. That shouldn't win or anything, but it's pretty funny.

The Jets also took some scrub before Marino.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Randaconda posted:

The Jets also took some scrub before Marino.

Ken O'Brien wasn't Tony Eason bad though....

Or Todd Blackledge bad :argh:

Looking at that draft it was really pretty good even outside of the quarterbacks. Eric Dickerson, Bruce Matthews, and Darrell Green were hall of fame guys. Then you had hall of very good guys like Henry Ellard, Albert Lewis, Roger Craig, Charles Mann and a whole bunch more I could mention. 1983 was a good year unless your idiot team passed on Marino for some schlub.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Rae Carruth because murder

Armanti Edwards cost the top pick in the second round & a middle pick in the third, was converted from QB to WR and caught five passes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
John Elway.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Timby posted:

Cade McNown, Cedric Benson, Curtis Enis, Rick MirerGabe Carimi, Chris Williams, David Terrell, Rashaan Salaam, John Thierry, Marc Colombo, Alonzo Spellman, Bob Sapp, oh my God gently caress the Bears...

You didn't draft Rick Mirer. :colbert:

Nov 6, 2002

Randaconda posted:

Cleveland's first round running backs as a group.

In a three year period Cleveland blew five first round picks on these guys.

Richardson
Weeden
Mingo
Gilbert
Manziel

Has any team ever had such a sustained period of garbage first round picks as this? It's really spectacular.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

In a three year period Cleveland blew five first round picks on these guys.

Richardson
Weeden
Mingo
Gilbert
Manziel

Has any team ever had such a sustained period of garbage first round picks as this? It's really spectacular.

The only one close would be the Jags I would think, but I'd have to check their pick history.

For Atlanta, Jamaal Anderson and Peria Jerry were pretty epic busts. Not Ryan Leaf noteworthy, but huge wastes of 1st round picks.

Nov 6, 2002

When you consider the amount of draft capital wasted with those five 1sts it has to be three worst years of drafting ever.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

When you consider the amount of draft capital wasted with those five 1sts it has to be three worst years of drafting ever.

Oh yeah, not disagreeing with you there lol

The Browns have to take the cake. I was just more thinking of perpetual top 5/10 picking teams and the only other one that comes to mind is Jax. Cleveland no doubt has them beat though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

weird Asian candy posted:

Oh yeah, not disagreeing with you there lol

The Browns have to take the cake. I was just more thinking of perpetual top 5/10 picking teams and the only other one that comes to mind is Jax. Cleveland no doubt has them beat though.

Tampa Bay in the 80's? I mean they drafted the wrong person once (as in actually not the person the team wanted to draft), screwed themselves out of Bo Jackson and surely didn't make a good pick anywhere in between.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Tampa Bay in the 80's? I mean they drafted the wrong person once (as in actually not the person the team wanted to draft), screwed themselves out of Bo Jackson and surely didn't make a good pick anywhere in between.

Yeah, that is a good one too.

I was curious as to who Jax has taken over the years in the first and it is a pretty great list. Though recently with Fournette and Ramsey, they have been good.

Fowler (should have been amazing)
Blake Bortles
Luke Joeckel
Justin Blackmon
Blaine Gabbert
Tyson Alualu
Eugene Monrow
Derrick Harvey
Reggie Nelson
Mercedes Lewis (serviceable)
Matt Jones
Reggie Williams

Prior to that they picked Leftwich, John Henderson and Marcus Stroud which were good picks.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dion Jordan

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Aaron Maybin was pretty bad. The OT Mike Williams was bad, too.

Robert Agauyo should be part of this conversation.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

Robert Agauyo should be part of this conversation.

I honestly believe Aguayo is trumped in every way other than trading up for him by Erxleben. We weren't around when that happened but Jesus Christ just imagine it. 11th overall for a kicker who not only sucks, but you try to salvage as a punter since that's how you sold yourself on the pick and he sucks at that too.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Can I nominate the unit of Brandon Weeden and Phil Taylor on the basis of them being the kye pieces of the Julio Jones trade?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Akili Smith loving sucked and I hate him

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Robert Griffin and Heath Shuler are the obvious frontrunners for the Skins, but they don't hold the place in my heart like Laron Landry.

God, what a specimen.

You saw the ability every Sunday. The straight line speed when chased down receivers that got behind him in coverage. The sheer force his tree trunk thighs exerted as he changed direction to recover from a poor angles of pursuit. The broad, strong shoulders when he attempted a high, poorly formed tackles. And the Menace as he flexed his unholy biceps to celebrate laying the hard loving wood on ball carriers after they picked up a first down.

Too bad he was a subpar football player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's probably Enis for the Bears, although Kevin White is on track to be even worse! Plenty of non top 10 first rounders who sucked (Michael Haynes) but really a blown top 5 pick like Enis is amazing.

And some guys in the 70s and before when absolutely no one knew how to draft - they took a RB named Joe Moore who had under 300 yards in his career. That's terrible. But again, pre 80s shouldn't even count because you had poo poo like what the saints did and like 15 rounds

• Locked thread