Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a neat cape posted:

It's Ryan Leaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
I'd like to put out an honorable mention for Titus Young, the man whose brain was so broken that he intentionally ran the wrong routes because he thought he was better than Calvin Johnson, and is currently serving a 4 year prison sentence for assault.

Edit: Really up until the past couple years knock on wood being picked in the 2nd round by the Lions was basically a sure-fire way to bust.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 30, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I honestly believe Aguayo is trumped in every way other than trading up for him by Erxleben. We weren't around when that happened but Jesus Christ just imagine it. 11th overall for a kicker who not only sucks, but you try to salvage as a punter since that's how you sold yourself on the pick and he sucks at that too.

That's probably true. I guess in my head-canon pre-2000 NFL doesn't count because I just erroneously like to imagine that buzzed owners used to arbitrarily choose a name from list an intern assembled a week before the draft.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd like to mention Todd Blackledge for a second. He won't win this or come close frankly, not with Ryan Leaf running around.

I'm bringing him up because it was the last Chiefs first rounder before Mahomes and was such a colossal failure in retrospect. For instance he was drafted to replace a QB that had just thrown over 4300 yards (second most by a Chiefs QB ever) and never managed to supplant him, sticking the Chiefs in a quagmire of two not-good quarterbacks playing together for years. The most yards he every threw for was 1700.

But really the important thing here is that the Chiefs passed up five Hall of Famers to draft him, including Jim Kelly and Dan Marino.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

windshipper posted:

You didn't draft Rick Mirer. :colbert:

Traded a first for him, same thing. :v:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I forgot about Manziel.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Randaconda posted:

I forgot about Manziel.

Manziel wasn't even the worst Browns bust of that year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Randaconda posted:

I forgot about Manziel.

Don't forget Weeden.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
#1a Jamarcus Russell
#1b Ryan Leaf

Flip a coin.

Literally no other options are even remotely close to these two and they're both so horrifyingly terrible that I can't decide.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Timby posted:

Don't forget Weeden.

Don't forget Brady Quinn.

:chanpop:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black Sunshine posted:

#1a Jamarcus Russell
#1b Ryan Leaf

Flip a coin.

Literally no other options are even remotely close to these two and they're both so horrifyingly terrible that I can't decide.

Leaf was way douchier, if that helps.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jamarcus was funnier. I think Leaf wins because of the all-around tragedy of the whole thing. There wasn't a good QB in the Russell class like Peyton Manning.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

SD traded up to get Leaf. They gave up #3, #33, a future first (ended up #8 in '99) & 2 players to swap spots with Arizona. He's the bigger bust.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Tony Mandarich is arguably the biggest bust in terms of What Could Have Been . packers take a lovely lineman at #2 instead of having one of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas or Deion Sanders (the next 3 picks) for their Favre led teams.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Raiders fan here. Got a few steps down memory lane, and had to stop it was so painful. Al Davis just drafted on stats and totally ignored football ability

- Russell
- Rocket Ismail. The Raiders spent a fourth round pick on this speedy wideout even though he had already signed with a CFL team. When he did turn to the NFL, had three mediocre-to-bad seasons with the silver and black

I can't... I can't think about this anymore.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If that were true Crabtree would have been drafted by the raiders

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

If that were true Crabtree would have been drafted by the raiders

He would've been if DHB wasn't available :syoon:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Favre and Barry Sanders.

:magical:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Didn't Washington in effect waste a bunch of first rounders on RG3? They got one playoff lose though with is better then what Leaf delivered.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Needs to be a Non-QB separate tournament, because even below the obvious top tier guys (Leaf and Russell), it's still a bunch of QBs like McNown and Akili Smith.

For non qbs, I'd say Alphonso Smith or Jarvis Moss

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Charles Rogers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

all-Rush mixtape posted:

There's always been a debate over who's the biggest draft bust of all time. With Roberto Aguayo having been released by the Buccaneers a short while back, the idea came to me to have a tournament to determine exactly whom is the biggest bust. The only catch is that there can only be one player per franchise in this tournament, so you can't nominate every draft pick the Jets have made. You can nominate as many players as you want, but they have to be from different teams.

I'll get the ball rolling by nominating Amobi Okoye for the Texans. He was in over his head as soon as he came in, mainly because he was, like, 19. That was a bad pick all around.

The player taken after him? Patrick Willis

Revis went three picks later, meanwhile the Texans spend the late aughts and early 2010s desperately trying to patch together a good CB or two

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Drunk Nerds posted:

Raiders fan here. Got a few steps down memory lane, and had to stop it was so painful. Al Davis just drafted on stats and totally ignored football ability

- Russell
- Rocket Ismail. The Raiders spent a fourth round pick on this speedy wideout even though he had already signed with a CFL team. When he did turn to the NFL, had three mediocre-to-bad seasons with the silver and black

I can't... I can't think about this anymore.

Rocket is extremely far from the top of the lovely Raider draft pick list, friend.

Intruder posted:

The player taken after him? Patrick Willis

Revis went three picks later, meanwhile the Texans spend the late aughts and early 2010s desperately trying to patch together a good CB or two

You had a decent corner at some point but he and his family
got tied up and robbed at gunpoint in his home and it probably broke him mentally. Forget his name though

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 30, 2017

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
No one's gonna be a bigger bust than Russell/Leaf.

However as a Giants fan, Ereck Flowers is looking like one. However, I would say the Giants' biggest bust has to be Dave Brown. Brown was drafted in the first round of the supplemental draft in 1992, which means the Giants lost their first round pick in the '93 draft. It was not really a big deal, but the Giants wanted to make him the franchise QB after Simms. Sadly he sucked and was actually replaced by Danny Kanell of all people, who actually looked better in comparison.

Looking back I wish the Giants would have kept the pick and drafted, uh, O.J. McDuffie?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Black Sunshine posted:

Rocket is extremely far from the top of the lovely Raider draft pick list, friend.

You had a decent corner at some point but he and his family
got tied up and robbed at gunpoint in his home and it probably broke him mentally. Forget his name though

Dunta Robinson, famous for wearing "PAY ME RICK" on his shoes

I think he was gone by then and if not then shortly thereafter

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

Favre and Barry Sanders.

:magical:

Weren't Favre's best running backs goobers such as Dorsey Levens and Ahman Green?

Christ, if he had Sanders behind him the mid- late-'90s Packers would have won like five straight Super Bowls.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Imagine also that Sterling Sharpe didn't get injured

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Alright, here are the current nominees, with the locks bolded.

Patriots - Tony Eason
Jets - Christian Hackenberg
Bills - Aaron Maybin, (OT) Mike Williams
Dolphins - Dion Jordan

Steelers - n/a
Browns - too many to count, need a single, solitary player
Bengals - Akili Smith
Ravens - Kyle Boller

Titans - n/a
Colts - n/a
Jaguars - n/a
Texans - Amobi Okoye

Chargers - Ryan Leaf
Raiders - Ja'Marcus Russel
Broncos - Alphonso Smith, Jarvis Moss
Chiefs - Todd Blackledge

Giants - Dave Brown
Redskins - Laron Landry
Cowboys - n/a
Eagles - n/a

Packers - n/a
Bears - Curtis Enis
Lions - (WR) Mike Williams, Titus Young, Charles Rogers
Vikings - n/a

Saints - Russell Erxleben
Falcons - Jamaal Anderson, Peria Jerry
Buccaneers - Bo Jackson, Robert Agauyo
Panthers - Rae Carruth, Armanti Edwards

Cardinals - n/a
49ers - n/a
Rams - n/a
Seahawks - Aaron Curry

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Honestly believe me Dion Jordan is #1 and the only possible argument is Yatil Green

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Jim Druckenmiller was a pretty terrible pick for the 49ers

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Timby posted:

Cade McNown, Cedric Benson, Curtis Enis, Rick Mirer, Gabe Carimi, Chris Williams, David Terrell, Rashaan Salaam, John Thierry, Marc Colombo, Alonzo Spellman, Bob Sapp, oh my God gently caress the Bears...

Kevin White's seat is already reserved for this fail list.

Does Gaines Adams count? Drafted 4th overall by Tampa in a loaded draft and sucked for years. On the verge of getting waived, the Bears inexplicably traded a loving 2nd round pick for his. His heart literally exploded shortly thereafter.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Titans - Rusty Smith I don't care what round he was drafted in have you watched him play jfc

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Dimitrius Underwood deserves a mention. A first round draft pick, he went utterly insane.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mike Adams for the Steelers. Couldn't hold onto a starting position, got hurt, got stabbed, failed a physical, just...not a good day in general

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Peria Jerry and Jamaal Anderson aren't even close to the worst Falcons draft picks.

A few for consideration:

Joe Profit (1971 1st round, 7th pick): An RB who spent 3 seasons with Atlanta, amassing 197 yards. He scored three touchdowns. Profit had only one more year in the NFL, one with the Saints of 274 yards and no touchdowns.

Bruce Pickens (1991, 1st round, 3rd pick): Cornerback with 2 career interceptions.

Michael Booker (1997, 1st round, 11th pick): Started 11 games in three years with the team, had 8 interceptions.

There are also some entire lovely Falcons drafts, such as 1973 when the best pick was a kicker, there wasn't a first round pick and the second round guy (Greg Marx) spent just one season in Atlanta and 1976, which was topped by Bubba Bean. Bean put up decent numbers before getting injured.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Jets - Christian Hackenberg

Hack is hilarious but he's still only a second

Just embed the "Jets draft blunders" video instead

For the Texans, I'd almost say Babin was a bigger bust because we traded up for him, stuck him in a system everyone said he couldn't succeed in, watched him fail, then watched him turn into a legit stud when back in a 4-3 elsewhere

Okoye at least looked like he had potential for a season

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 31, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Aaron Curry for the Seahawks is a fantastic choice, but I have to go way back to 1993 and nominate Rick Mirer. Drafted 2nd overall in 1993, as a Seahawk for 4 year he put up a 53% comp rating, 41/56 TD/INT, and never had a winning season. He's Seattle's Bort.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Aaron Curry for the Seahawks is a fantastic choice, but I have to go way back to 1993 and nominate Rick Mirer. Drafted 2nd overall in 1993, as a Seahawk for 4 year he put up a 53% comp rating, 41/56 TD/INT, and never had a winning season. He's Seattle's Bort.

Different era and inflated stats for Bort, but Bort is still way waaaay better than Rick Mirer was.

As far as I can tell Mirer's greatest accomplishment was being recruited by Notre Dame at the right time to steal a lot of money from the NFL. I mean holy poo poo he never completed more than 56.4% in a year in college.

e: Having said this I think Dan McGwire is the better pick for the Seahawks. Drafted 16th overall, played in a total of 13 games in his career, starting 5. He completed exactly 50% of his passes and threw 2 touchdowns and 6 picks. The main thing that seemed to be good about Dan was he was 6'8", so he's like a proto Brock without the very limited success.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 31, 2017

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Alright, here are the current nominees, with the locks bolded.

Colts - n/a

John Elway is the Colts biggest draft bust, but not top All-Time.

So if Trent Richardson counts, it's him. The Colts used a draft pick on him.

If it's someone who is drafted and signed by the team, the Colts answer is Steve Emtman.

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

If it's someone who is drafted and signed by the team, the Colts answer is Steve Emtman.

The Colts had #1 and #2 overall in 1992, #2 and #5 in 1994. Out of those picks they ended up with Marshall Faulk :woop:

...Quentin Coyratt, Steve Emtman and Trev Alberts.

• Locked thread