Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The Jags had a 1st round pick that had 14 career catches and played 1 season:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SowaR.00.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jags:

Bort
Luke Joekel
Derrick Harvey
R. Jay Soward
Reggie Williams
Byron Leftwich
Matt Jones
Blaine Gabbert
Justin Blackmon

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 2, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Athanatos posted:

The Jags had a 1st round pick that had 14 career catches and played 1 season:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SowaR.00.htm

That ol' man Coughlin would send limos to in the mornings so he'd be on time for practice.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

TheHoosier posted:

Every 1st round pick by the Niners starting from 1997 to 2004. Seriously it's trash all the way down except for Julian Peterson.

Kwame loving Harris

Hey now, my sister went to high school with his brother (kwame graduted the year before my sister's freshman year). Also he probably had a hard time in the NFL what with being gay and all. He was bad but at least he was an rear end end of the first round pick.

Diva Cupcake posted:

There's no way Hack is the biggest Jets bust. Come on. He might not even end up being the worst 2nd round QB the Jets have drafted:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NaglBr00.htm

Gholston has to be up there but honestly Dee Milliner might be just as bad or worse. 9th overall and played fewer games with the team than Gholston. Vernon Gholston even got signed by 2 other teams after being released; Milliner is essentially dead to the world.

Geno was a second rounder :whitewater:

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 2, 2017

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

There's quite a few Pats busts based on injuries alone. Easley, Katzenmoyer, Robert Edwards, Chris Canty...

Robert Edwards I wouldn't count as a bust, his 1t year was incredible and then his poor knee exploded.

In the Kraft Era as busts, maybe Tebucky Jones? Or laurence Maroney but again not horrific players.

I don't date look at drafts pre-Bledsoe though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Robert Edwards I wouldn't count as a bust, his 1t year was incredible and then his poor knee exploded.

I mean under this logic would RG3 be a bust in your mind?

I guess we'd all probably think a lot better of RG3 if he'd almost had to have his leg amputated and his career was just over after that rookie year.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Emanuel Collective posted:

The 2013 draft shouldn't count; it's on a whole other level w/r/t busts

Justin Blackmon looked like the second coming of Calvin Johnson until the drugs

Matt Jones and Reggie Williams probably wouldn't have been great but the drugs didn't help

The Jaguars should stop getting their WRs addicted to drugs

You have to compensate your players for having to live in Jacksonville somehow.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Teams we still need busts for:
Jaguars
Eagles
Packers
Cardinals

And then we can get to culling down to one per team.

For the Cardinals, maybe Matt Leinart? The team has been so aggressively mediocre they can't even draft poorly.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
for non Ryan Leaf Chargers busts, it'll be pretty hard to beat Buster Davis.

Melvin Gordon is gonna try though

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

a neat cape posted:

Melvin Gordon is gonna try though

It's hard to argue he's a massive bust when he comes 3 yards short of 1000 yards rushing and has 10 touchdowns though compared to the rest of the competition the league is putting foward as all time draft busts of their team.

So yeah, you can poo poo on him for being a bad pick, but he's not an all time bust, and this is all time busts.

You hate him, we get it, and believe me, we've all been there - he's a bad pick, probably a bust, but he's not all time draft bust. Recent-ness should not play into this. San Diego has most DEFINITELY had bigger draft busts than Melvin Gordon - simply based on his first two years' production (manufactured or not). He's San Diego's Koren Robinson - except better (or maybe just featured more).

But Koren Robinson isn't Seattle's all time draft bust. And I admit that.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

This is the correct answer, but just for posterity the runner up contenders for the Phins would be Pat White, John Avery and Yatil Green.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
For the Packers Mandarich stands out most just because of the hype, but Justin Harrell drafted #16 in 2007 was bad and or injured for 4 seasons, 28 total tackles in the 14 games he played.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oldskool posted:

Armanti Edwards cost the top pick in the second round & a middle pick in the third, was converted from QB to WR and caught five passes.

oh if we're doing non murder than it was Rashard Anderson

1st rounder out of Jackson State. was dealing heroin when the Panthers drafted him, was addicted himself, broke his neck and was suspended at the same time.

Jason Peter was probably already addicted to pain killers when he was drafted, but anderson got him on the good stuff which effectively ended whatever lovely career he was going to have.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Bankok posted:

For the Packers Mandarich stands out most just because of the hype, but Justin Harrell drafted #16 in 2007 was bad and or injured for 4 seasons, 28 total tackles in the 14 games he played.

Jon Michels
Jamal Reynolds
Derrick Sherrod

I'd say Reynolds. 13 games, 3 sacks from a DE selected in the top 10.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Jason Peter was probably already addicted to pain killers when he was drafted, but anderson got him on the good stuff which effectively ended whatever lovely career he was going to have.

That was the good Peter!

I think...they were both pretty not good.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I mean under this logic would RG3 be a bust in your mind?

I guess we'd all probably think a lot better of RG3 if he'd almost had to have his leg amputated and his career was just over after that rookie year.

Fair enough. Also, RG3s coaches hosed him over on the injury if I remember correctly, making him pay hurt.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys who can't play because of injury can be busts, but not all-time busts.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Having sat on it, I've decided that the pick for Browns all-time bust should be everything going horribly wrong.

Ernie Davis was drafted first overall by the Redskins not because of his talent (which make no mistake, on talent alone he would've been the number one pick), but because the team was ordered to stop being racist shitheads. Literally, they were threatened to be kicked out of their stadium because they refused to sign black people in order to appeal to the South. He was then immediately traded to the Cleveland Browns for Bobby Mitchell. This was good news for Ernie Brown, who idolized Browns running back Jim Brown, went to Syracuse after being recruited by Jim Brown, and even wore Brown's number while at Syracuse. Now he would get to play football professionally with his childhood hero.

Ernie Davis would be diagnosed with leukemia, never play a down in the league and die at 23. His number is retired by the Browns despite this. The trade for Ernie Davis would lead to Paul Brown leaving and forcing the Cincinnati Bengals upon a bunch of innocent human beings, and Modell's way of doing football things would lead to the end of the Browns as a dominant force in football, and down the line the Baltimore Ravens existing and winning championships.

Bobby Mitchell would go on to be one of the greatest players in the history of the NFL and the Washington Redskins would continue to be racist shitheads to this day.

The Cleveland side lost in bigger and more tragic ways than anybody has ever lost with insane long-term ramifications, and Washington won entirely despite being the most horrible NFL franchise ever.

Although he was technically a Redskins pick, by any decent standard he'd be considered a Cleveland Browns pick. As such, I nominate Ernie Davis as the biggest Cleveland Browns bust of all time, because gently caress life, let's go the Browns bitch.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
A.J. Jenkins has gotta be up there for the 49'ers. The Wikipedia is brutal:

San Francisco 49ers[edit]
Jenkins was drafted 30th overall in the 2012 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers.[8]

Although healthy all season, Jenkins was active for only three of the 49ers 16 regular season games.[9] In his rookie regular season he played in only 37 offensive snaps and was targeted with a pass just once, which he dropped.[10]

Kansas City Chiefs[edit]
On August 19, 2013, Jenkins was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs for wide receiver Jon Baldwin.[11]

During a Thursday night game on September 19, 2013 against the Philadelphia Eagles, Jenkins recorded his first career reception, thrown by former 49ers teammate Alex Smith. The reception was good for 6 yards. His first reception came 511 days after he was drafted.

On February 17, 2015, Jenkins was released by the Chiefs.[12]

Dallas Cowboys[edit]
On May 26, 2015, Jenkins was signed by the Dallas Cowboys, but was released prior to the start of the regular season on September 5, 2015.[13]

...and that's it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mastershakeman posted:

Tony Mandarich is arguably the biggest bust in terms of What Could Have Been .

This was the first one I thought of, only because you'd think OL would be the easiest thing to project. With skill positions, there are all sorts of variables that can cloud judgement but "Big Mean Athletic Motherfucker Who Likes to Crush People" wouldn't seem to be that hard to analyze so OL busts fascinate me.

Robert Gallery and Luke Joekel come to mind as well

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The great thing about Tony Mandarich is how obvious it was he totally roided up. I mean, o-line dudes shouldn't look like they are about to challenge the Hulkster on PPV.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I saw someone nominate Jarvis Jones for the Steelers, but after looking up stuff that happened before my time, I'm gonna have to go with Gabe Rivera, who was drafted over hometown hero Dan Marino due to sketchy pre-draft rumors about Marino's drug use. This guy was drafted to be Joe Greene's replacement, and by all indications looked dominant early, but was tragically paralyzed in an horrific DUI accident a few games into his rookie season.

IMO, it's significant in two ways because that 1983 draft signaled the quarterback era, and Dan Rooney whiffed on one of the greatest ever in favor of Noll's "build the team through the defensive line" philosophy based on what we now think of as a draft smokescreen -- and did this over his father, team founder and original owner Art Rooney Sr's heated objections. This story is covered pretty well in the ESPN 30 for 30 about the 1983 draft, including an interview with Ambassador Dan who said that Art Sr went to his deathbed angry with him over passing on Marino.

It's impossible to say what would have happened if Dan listened to his father, but it seems it could have lead to successive dynasties for the Steelers who were pretty much dominant in every aspect of football except that of QB for the entirety of Marino's NFL career. A little fact that I will add to this is that Dan redeemed himself by overruling coach Cowher in 2004 to take Roethlisberger over the o-lineman that Cowher wanted.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Phyein posted:

A.J. Jenkins has gotta be up there for the 49'ers. The Wikipedia is brutal:

San Francisco 49ers[edit]
Jenkins was drafted 30th overall in the 2012 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers.[8]

Although healthy all season, Jenkins was active for only three of the 49ers 16 regular season games.[9] In his rookie regular season he played in only 37 offensive snaps and was targeted with a pass just once, which he dropped.[10]

Kansas City Chiefs[edit]
On August 19, 2013, Jenkins was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs for wide receiver Jon Baldwin.[11]

During a Thursday night game on September 19, 2013 against the Philadelphia Eagles, Jenkins recorded his first career reception, thrown by former 49ers teammate Alex Smith. The reception was good for 6 yards. His first reception came 511 days after he was drafted.

On February 17, 2015, Jenkins was released by the Chiefs.[12]

Dallas Cowboys[edit]
On May 26, 2015, Jenkins was signed by the Dallas Cowboys, but was released prior to the start of the regular season on September 5, 2015.[13]

...and that's it.

AJ never had a chance. Never got to finish bulking

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
For the Cardinals maybe Andre Wadsworth?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I sort of feel like Rivera can't be it for the Steelers just because of the tragic accident element. Especially because if Marino had stayed so close to his college there is literally no way he doesn't OD on free coke that rookie year.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I sort of feel like Rivera can't be it for the Steelers just because of the tragic accident element. Especially because if Marino had stayed so close to his college there is literally no way he doesn't OD on free coke that rookie year.

Marino went to Miami during the zenith of the MIami Vice coked-out era

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah the second I hit post it struck me as a dumb thing to say. Dan the Man must be OD immune or something.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah the second I hit post it struck me as a dumb thing to say. Dan the Man must be OD immune or something.

It's also cosmically ironic that they passed on a guy for rumored drug issues for one who basically killed himself in a DUI

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Haven't seen any Eagles nominated yet:
Jerome McDougle
FredEx
Mike Mamula
Kevin Allen

Also some general historic draft busts from other teams I haven't see mentioned:
Ki-Jana Carter
Art Schlechter (gently caress if I can spell his name. Colts QB who sucked AND got kicked out of the league for gambling)
Heath Shuler

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

letthereberock posted:

Haven't seen any Eagles nominated yet:
Jerome McDougle
FredEx
Mike Mamula
Kevin Allen

Also some general historic draft busts from other teams I haven't see mentioned:
Ki-Jana Carter
Art Schlechter (gently caress if I can spell his name. Colts QB who sucked AND got kicked out of the league for gambling)
Heath Shuler

I'll second Freddie for the Eagles. Only because it's too soon to say Agholor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yates posted:

I'd say Reynolds. 13 games, 3 sacks from a DE selected in the top 10.

I'll always wonder how much of that was Reynolds being weirdly undersized and how much was Ed Donatell being a complete nincompoop.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Everyone knew Mike Williams would be bad but the Lions drafted Joey Harrington and Charles Rogers in back to back years at like #2 and #3. Harrington was the lesser talent but Rogers bombed harder relatively so I nominate him.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Jew it to it! posted:

For the Cardinals, maybe Matt Leinart? The team has been so aggressively mediocre they can't even draft poorly.

Tom Knight, perhaps?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I'd almost totally forgotten Matt Leinart and Joey Harrington.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
For the Patriots, basically just pick any player from the Bobby Grier era of drafting.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Texans came dangerously close to having their entry being Jadeveon Clowney before last season

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Sean Taylor

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

General Dog posted:

Sean Taylor

He was SO drat GOOD. Hell no. Goddamn I wanna go watch some Sean Taylor highlights now. Especially blowing up the punter at the pro bowl. Even the punter gave him some love for that. Sean Taylor was a major draft hit, in more ways than one, who just ended up being killed in the worst and most unfortunate of circumstances. Dude was clean, man.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Alright, now that I've got a nominee for every team, we need to determine the biggest draft bust for teams with multiple contenders:

Bills - Aaron Maybin, (OT) Mike Williams
Steelers - Mike Adams, Jarvis Jones
Broncos - Alphonso Smith, Jarvis Moss, Ted Gregory
Redskins - Laron Landry, Desmond Howard
Packers - Tony Mandarich, Jamal Reynolds
Lions - (WR) Mike Williams, Titus Young, Charles Rogers
Falcons - Jamaal Anderson, Peria Jerry, Joe Profit, Bruce Pickens, Michael Booker, Tony Smith
Panthers - Rae Carruth, Armanti Edwards
Cardinals - Matt Leinart, Andre Wadsworth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Armanti edwards is nowhere close.

Panthers are either Rasherd Anderson or Everette brown.

• Locked thread