Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Jamaal Anderson for me with Atlanta. For ones before my time sounds like Aundray Bruce was a great bust candidate but that's before me so I'm going Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
Like I said when I nominated him, Titus Young is really just an honorable mention. For the real nominee, I'll go with Charles Rogers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm surprised Joey didn't make the cut for the Lions, or even Andre Ware

Of those, it has to be Charles Rogers. Andre Johnson went after him

Part of the :lol: Lions run on WRs was the whole "Joey needs weapons" thing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
For the Vikings, it's Dimitrius Underwood vs Troy Williamson and while Underwood preferring to focus on the end of the world rather than boring poo poo like 'playing football' I kinda feel like the bigger bust has to be the guy drafted to replace Randy Moss who, in a triumph of scouting acumen, proved to have no functioning hands.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
For the Titans, it's probably Locker.

Eight overall and didn't really do poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Intruder posted:

I'm surprised Joey didn't make the cut for the Lions, or even Andre Ware

Of those, it has to be Charles Rogers. Andre Johnson went after him

Part of the :lol: Lions run on WRs was the whole "Joey needs weapons" thing

One of my earliest football memories is my dad taking me to a Lions game about a year or two after we moved to Michigan and, in a nearly abandoned section of the stands, telling me to root for Joey.

We lost that game.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Andre Woolfolk, 2003? Also didn't do poo poo. Started like 10 games. Drafted just ahead of Asomugha, Tillman and Rashean Mathis.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

letthereberock posted:

Haven't seen any Eagles nominated yet:
Jerome McDougle
FredEx
Mike Mamula
Kevin Allen

Also some general historic draft busts from other teams I haven't see mentioned:
Ki-Jana Carter
Art Schlechter (gently caress if I can spell his name. Colts QB who sucked AND got kicked out of the league for gambling)
Heath Shuler

No Danny Watkins?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

I went into Oilers history and drat they did some good rear end drafting. Probably the worst value/draft position during the Houston years I see is Dan Pastorini and he was just fine

Maybe Pacman?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Intruder posted:

I went into Oilers history and drat they did some good rear end drafting. Probably the worst value/draft position during the Houston years I see is Dan Pastorini and he was just fine

Maybe Pacman?

If he turned out okay for someone else, I generally wouldn't count it, but that's my methodology.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

If he turned out okay for someone else, I generally wouldn't count it, but that's my methodology.

That's arguably even worse. You use a high pick on him, he's a huge shithead who beats up strippers and generally sucks on the field, then the second you boot his rear end out of town he turns it all around and becomes good for someone who didn't have to blow a pick on him and probably paid him well below his value

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
We are all playing for third place anyway. It's gotta be Leaf or Russell doesn't it?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Leaf is worse than Russell if you take into account what they had to give up for him

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

weird Asian candy posted:

We are all playing for third place anyway. It's gotta be Leaf or Russell doesn't it?

Bo Jackson?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Intruder posted:

That's arguably even worse. You use a high pick on him, he's a huge shithead who beats up strippers and generally sucks on the field, then the second you boot his rear end out of town he turns it all around and becomes good for someone who didn't have to blow a pick on him and probably paid him well below his value

Locker literally broke though, so it's like drafting Colt McCoy with the eighth pick. But one who had lovely accuracy even in college. Still, he had some marginal value, but Jones arguably did too (though less).

Anyway, it's Leaf for Worst of All Time, though it's funny that the teams who drafted Russell and Leaf are now in completely different towns.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I almost want to say Mandarich over Leaf just because of the sea of hall of famers he was drafted in. If Leaf hadn't cost the Chargers so much I'd go Mandarich over him

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Diqnol posted:

Bo Jackson?

For Tampa? I suppose, but I don't know if it fits the spirit of the post and I just can't wrap my tiny brain around "Bo Jackson - Bust".

In that same vein though, you could argue Brett Favre - Falcons.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bo Jackson would have been fine without his hip injury or whatever it was.

Besides, Bo is one of the greatest athletes in American history, it's hard to call him a bust.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I want to see what a Tampa fan has to say about losing 1st overall to a guy who refused to play for them.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Diqnol posted:

I want to see what a Tampa fan has to say about losing 1st overall to a guy who refused to play for them.

See, to me, that is more of a wasted pick than bust. When I think bust, I think someone who comes in with all kinds of hype and potential and then falls flat on his face because he has no talent. I see where you are going, but Bo had immense talent and barring a freak injury may have ended up in the hall.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Bo Jackson would have been fine without his hip injury or whatever it was.

Besides, Bo is one of the greatest athletes in American history, it's hard to call him a bust.

He means for Tampa, who screwed the pooch with him by intentionally costing him his baseball eligibility

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Diqnol posted:

Elway did the same to the Colts. Although Indy got a very good offensive lineman and a couple spare parts out of the trade.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If refusing to play for the team that drafts you makes you a bust I'm all for it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bo is a little different though in that I believe the Buccs got absolutely nothing for his release.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is true. He re-entered the draft and Oakland got him in the 7th I want to say?

I mean I could easily look this up. So easily.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Intruder posted:

This is true. He re-entered the draft and Oakland got him in the 7th I want to say?

I mean I could easily look this up. So easily.

I got you bud! I didn't know he was 1st overall to 7th round? :laffo:

quote:

Jackson was drafted first overall in the 1986 NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Controversy abounded before then that resulted in Jackson never playing for the team.

In addition to giving Jackson an ultimatum to pick between sports, Buccaneers management took Jackson on owner Hugh Culverhouse's private jet to visit with the team during his senior baseball season. Jackson was told by the Buccaneers that the trip, which could have cost Jackson his remaining collegiate eligibility, had been cleared by the NCAA. Jackson was later told by his baseball coach at Auburn that the trip was considered to be a violation of NCAA rules and that he was immediately ruled ineligible to play the remainder of the baseball season. Jackson, upset that Culverhouse lied to him, insisted that he would never play for the Buccaneers and that they could draft him if he wanted to, but he would not sign if he was drafted. It was said that Jackson, who was having what he called his best year playing baseball in school, made the Buccaneers nervous and that by getting him somehow ruled ineligible to play baseball, he would be forced to focus on football.[30]

Jackson held true to his threat not to sign, and the Buccaneers forfeited his rights before the 1987 draft. Jackson was in spring training with the Royals when someone informed him that he had a chance to play football again. Inquiring who it was, Jackson found out that he was taken in the seventh round of the draft with the 183rd pick by the Los Angeles Raiders. Initially Jackson had said he would continue to focus on baseball and would not sign, but his interest was piqued.[31][32] Raiders owner Al Davis was a fan of Jackson and was receptive the idea of Jackson playing both baseball and football. Thus, a contract was negotiated where Jackson would be permitted to play the entire baseball season with the Royals and would report to the Raiders once the season was finished. In addition to this, Davis gave Jackson a salary that was in line with what a top-flight starter at halfback would make.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I should have said the Raiders instead of Oakland so I wouldn't have looked like a big dummy

I forgot which years they were in LA

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, that owner was a douche.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think drafting a guy that swore to never play for you is not really a bust just stupid.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The biggest Steelers bust is Jamain Stephens and it's not even close. Jarvis Jones and Mike Adams at least showed ability in brief flashes. Stephens was fat piece of poo poo and got cut a couple years in because he was so fat on the first day of camp that he almost collapsed during sprints, even though he was walking them.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
As much as I hate Hackenberg, it really has to be Vernon Gholston. When Rex Ryan can't get anything out of you as a defensive player, there's something wrong. Plus if I remember right he had a bunch of controversies leading up to the draft that should have dropped him out of the top 10.

Not only that, but the Jets won a pointless game at the end of the season against the Chiefs. If they would have lost that game, they would have picked at #3 instead of #6 and maybe gotten Matt Ryan. I mean they would have ruined him, but still.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gaines Adams was less of a bust than Gholston and he died

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Alright, here are the current nominees, with the locks bolded.

Patriots - Tony Eason
Jets - Christian Hackenberg
Bills - Aaron Maybin, (OT) Mike Williams
Dolphins - Dion Jordan

Steelers - n/a
Browns - too many to count, need a single, solitary player
Bengals - Akili Smith
Ravens - Kyle Boller

Titans - n/a
Colts - n/a
Jaguars - n/a
Texans - Amobi Okoye

Chargers - Ryan Leaf
Raiders - Ja'Marcus Russel
Broncos - Alphonso Smith, Jarvis Moss
Chiefs - Todd Blackledge

Giants - Dave Brown
Redskins - Laron Landry
Cowboys - n/a
Eagles - n/a

Packers - n/a
Bears - Curtis Enis
Lions - (WR) Mike Williams, Titus Young, Charles Rogers
Vikings - n/a

Saints - Russell Erxleben
Falcons - Jamaal Anderson, Peria Jerry
Buccaneers - Bo Jackson, Robert Agauyo
Panthers - Rae Carruth, Armanti Edwards

Cardinals - n/a
49ers - n/a
Rams - n/a
Seahawks - Aaron Curry

The Eagles have...so many.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...-jarrett-philly

BGN posted:

Mike Mamula - 1995

The 7th overall pick in 1995 is often brought up (even by non-Eagles fans) as one of the biggest busts of all time. To his credit, though, Mamula had 31.5 sacks through six seasons. Who was the real bust here? Was it Mamula or the Eagles front office for drastically overreacting to his combine performance?

Jon Harris - 1997

After losing DE William Fuller in free agency in the 1997 offseason, then Eagles head coach Ray Rhodes decided to spend the 25th overall selection on Harris who many draft pundits considered a third-round pick at best. When asked for a comparison, Rhodes said that Harris might be more fluid than former Dallas Cowboy Ed “Too Tall” Jones. Harris then went on to reward Rhodes’ faith in him by accumulating two sacks in four total NFL seasons.

Freddie Mitchell - 2001

Often remembered for his “4th and 26” catch, the 25th pick in the 2001 draft only played four seasons in the NFL despite being to a team in desperate need of a wide receiver. While he did come through on some key catches in big moments, Mitchell only put accumulated 90 catches for just over 1,200 yards and five total touchdowns in his career. Unlike many of the other players on this list, Mitchell had a bit of an attitude problem that could’ve factored into his performance. For me, that puts him firmly in the bust category.

Shawn Andrews - 2004

The 16th overall pick in the 2004 draft was one of the biggest young stars early on at his position until severe back injuries and bouts with depression got the better of his career. It would be hard to paint Andrews as a bust given the player he was and the circumstances surrounding him but it is still one of those “what could’ve been” scenarios.

V. Abiamiri - 2007

The first second-round pick on the list, drafted in 2007, Abiamiri deserves mention due to the high hopes he brought for the defensive end position that he was unfortunately unable to fulfill. After beating out Jaqua Parker for the starting DE job, Abiamiri suffered a knee injury requiring micro-fracture surgery and later a torn Achilles which ultimately ended his career. In three seasons, Abiamiri combined for just 30 tackles and four sacks in his career. Another hard one to label a bust, but worth mentioning.

Nate Allen - 2010

Allen is another player that is difficult to sell as a bust after just signing on with the Miami Dolphins to embark on his eight NFL season. Eight years in the league is more than double the league average so he must be doing something right. Allen is more a victim of expectations. Like Jarrett, Allen came to the Eagles fresh off their transition away from Brian Dawkins. He also had the pleasure of being Donovan McNabb’s replacement when he was selected with the Redskin’s early 2nd round pick in 2010.

Danny Watkins - 2011

The infamous 26-year old first-round draft pick is certainly in contention to take home the prize. The can’t-miss guard from Baylor was a huge miss. He couldn’t stay engaged in anything other than firefighting and struggled to pick up offensive line coach Howard Mudd’s schemes and was out of the league in three seasons.

Jaiquawn Jarrett - 2011

Another second-round pick in what turned out to be a terrible 2011 draft. In fairness to Jarrett, the Eagles later essentially admitted reaching on this pick based on positional need. The hard hitting safety from Temple was much more of an in-the-box player than deep safety. He just happened to come to a team and fan base that was foaming from the mouth for safety help. To Jarrett’s credit, he was able to redeem himself slightly and produce two mildly productive season in New York before finding his way out of the league.

Marcus Smith - 2014

Oh Marcus, we hardly knew you. Smith was cut by the Eagles on Wednesday of this week after three very un-impactful seasons. Although Smith seemed to be slightly turning a corner in Jim Schwartz’s defense, he seemed disinterested in competition during this past spring which, as Eric Rowe could tell you, will not win you a job in Schwartz's defense. Smith, like some others above though, was over-drafted. Smith was a popular second or third-round target heading into the 2014 draft but was surprisingly taken 26th overall in 2014. Should he be blamed for that? Maybe not. Then again, he didn’t perform like a second or third round pick either.

Nelson Agholor - 2015

It is still too early to officially label Agholor a bust. Entering his third season with the Eagles, Agholor has been a popular name this offseason. His career is at a bit of a crossroads. He could either turn things drastically around or become one of the bigger busts in recent history. Unlike some others above, Agholor was, by all accounts, very much worthy of his draft position at the time of the 2015 draft. As a believer that every player should be given at least three years, I am leaving him out of the equation for right now but I would be remiss if I didn’t at least mention him and explain why.

I'm pretty sure it's Danny Watkins though. Again, the dude was 26 when he got drafted and then quit to be a firefighter.

gently caress that 2011 draft was so bad.

I know we already have suggestions for the Eagles but god gently caress Danny Watkins so much

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 8, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jags - Bort

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

Cowboys - n/a

Since we have no Cowboys fans stepping up...David Lafleur? TE taken 22nd overall and basically did absolutely nothing.

Billy Cannon the linebacker did even less but that was in the 80's and I only know his name from the other Billy Cannon who was actually good.

It's probably easier to go with Quincy Carter since that's a name people recognize and hate, although he was a 2nd rounder.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Just a reminder that Brandon Weeden is older than Aaron Rodgers.

Also he was taken in the first round at age 28.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still feel like there are bigger draft busts for the Bears than Enis. Cade McNown is the first who comes to mind, but Benson, Haynes and Carimi were also all-time stinkers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Whooping Crabs posted:

Just a reminder that Brandon Weeden is older than Aaron Rodgers.

Also he was taken in the first round at age 28.

Brandon Weeden being older then Alex Smith is my favorite weird stat.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Grittybeard posted:

Since we have no Cowboys fans stepping up...David Lafleur? TE taken 22nd overall and basically did absolutely nothing.

Billy Cannon the linebacker did even less but that was in the 80's and I only know his name from the other Billy Cannon who was actually good.

It's probably easier to go with Quincy Carter since that's a name people recognize and hate, although he was a 2nd rounder.

Oof, I'd forgotten all about LaFleur. Any of the guys you mentioned work, or maybe Bobby Carpenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I change my bears nomination to Kevin white. 193 yards in his career.

• Locked thread