Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your thoughts on ancient history?
WHO THE HELL CARES OP
I like history
:iiam:
gently caress you
goku
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDD!
View Results

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Caligula was pretty funny, imo

The first one is even funnier because Chaerea was the guy who eventually murdered him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The nerdiest emperor was probably Julian. He was basically under house arrest for his entire youth because his uncle Constantius had murdered most of their other relatives and didn't trust him. So he had no friends except his tutors and studied really hard and became an edgy philosophy major and grew a really ugly neck beard. Then all of Constantius' remaining relatives died (because Constantius killed them basically) and he decided he needed Julian to take care of France while he did the ruling elsewhere. Eventually Constantius died and Julian set about trying to recreate the glory of Rome like he had read about it in the history books. This meant being a pagan civil leader who was first among the equals of the aristocracy and left administration to local government instead of a Christian absolutist warlord with a giant bureaucracy. Nobody liked it.

He moved to Antioch to try and fix poo poo up there, but the locals thought he was an undignified douche with lovely facial hair, so he wrote a very sarcastic book called "The Beard Hater" about how everyone who didn't like him was just superficial and couldn't see that he was really a nice guy deep down. He then invaded Iraq, hosed it up and got killed, possibly without ever having had sex.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Trump.mp4 posted:

lol look at that little poo poo what took them so long?

His grandmother, Julia Maesa, was a pretty tough motherfucker who came up with the idea of putting him on the throne to begin with, and put the guards up to killing him (and his mom) in favor of her other grandson Alexander Severus.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I know Augustus was probably poisoned/killed by his loving wife because they were like a Roman House of Cards Kevin spacey style power couple

Octavius / Caesar Augustus is Kevin spacey in my mind

This is probably a case of bullshit gossip getting passed down from antiquity as if it were real. It's possible that she did intrigue against some members of the family and she certainly was rumored to have poisoned people, but a lot of that could have been just malicious talk and it's extremely difficult for me to see what she would have gained by poisoning Augustus specifically: they had been married for 50 years (it was a love match also, not arranged), during which time they had consistently had a strong working relationship despite a consistent failure to produce an heir of his body, and Augustus was old and had never been in robust health to begin with.

I do love Sian Phillips' Livia in I Claudius though, it's a great performance. If you want to see Livia that way you should check it out, great piece of TV.

• Locked thread