Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

They've pretty much been saying the next game would most likely feature a completely new cast for a while now. Besides, I'm not really sure how you'd do a direct sequel to the original unless you went off the Sacrifice the Bay ending or something.

Exactly, they are going to avoid the issue of declaring a canon ending of any kind. I'll assume there will be a handful of small references in there. I'm gonna guess, at most, some photography in a magazine by one 'Max Caulfield'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

on a scale of 1-10 how gay is this game because that will determine my buying decisions

Gayer than the original, there's no ambiguity this time around. I'm going to give episode 1 a solid 8/10.

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

internet celebrity posted:

Gayer than the original, there's no ambiguity this time around. I'm going to give episode 1 a solid 8/10.

This is encouraging to hear.

I'm still on the fence about it, but I'll probably end up getting it anyway cause I really liked the original.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

internet celebrity posted:

Chloe writes in her journal about masturbating to the thought of lady from blade runner.

It's gay af

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Larryb posted:

They've pretty much been saying the next game would most likely feature a completely new cast for a while now.

Have they? When? Where?

Seriously, maybe my googling just sucks, but I can find literally nothing on their next LiS game beyond the announcement.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It was in a lot of the post episode five interviews.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sunsetaware posted:

This is encouraging to hear.

I'm still on the fence about it, but I'll probably end up getting it anyway cause I really liked the original.

It's not quite as strong a start as the original (which is a problem when you only have 3 episodes to work with) but it's not terrible either. New Chloe's performance ranges from passable to awkward but you get used to her after a while. As a whole It's better than I was expecting, I'll give it that at least.

Varam posted:

Have they? When? Where?

Seriously, maybe my googling just sucks, but I can find literally nothing on their next LiS game beyond the announcement.

It's been said in interviews and the like. At the moment we have literally no other information on the sequel other than they're working on it. My guess is we'll probably see our first trailer some time next year at the earliest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 1, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

It's not quite as strong a start as the original (which is a problem when you only have 3 episodes to work with) but it's not terrible either. New Chloe's performance ranges from passable to awkward but you get used to her after a while. As a whole It's better than I was expecting, I'll give it that at least.

Chloe's VO was worst at the beginning and the end, which is coincidentally the stuff they included in the trailers/e3 demo. I have a feeling they had to rush some VO out to meet that stuff and could take their time with the rest of the game. I could also totally be wrong.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Iron Rose posted:

on a scale of 1-10 how gay is this game because that will determine my buying decisions

Hella gay.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

This is a good episode and the backtalk mechanic is a good and sometimes hilarious mechanic. Also yes hella gay, shakah brah.

Also the D&D game you play is amazing.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

This was pretty cool. It very much felt like a prequel though, like we know where the characters are when the original gets going, it would be very difficult to have some super huge plot that Chloe just doesn't mention to Max at all.

Backtalk was pretty cool, and Rachel definitely has some powers that we're going to explore next episode. It's cool to see the impact of Max leaving from Chloe's perspective - in the original it can quite easily be seen as Chloe being a bratty emotional teenager, but it's pretty clear that it caused her some real pain.

I'm interested to see where this goes. Any word on a release date for the next episode?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Man, everyone read way more into the Rachel stuff at the end then me, I'm like not seeing it at all as being even a little definitive.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I don't think that Rachel has powers at all. You would think Chloe would have mentioned that to Max when she tells her about her time powers. "Oh, you have a superpower too? That's just like Rachel Amber!" ...Unless Rachel DOES have powers in which case... I have no idea how that will coincide with LiS at all. I feel like it's more likely just another way to make the scene more dramatic.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Are we though? She made the wind do something two times in a row.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, hasn't it been theorized that the doe and/or butterfly Max kept seeing in the original was Rachel's spirit guiding her along her journey (much like the raven seems to be doing for Chloe here)? That seems to indicate there's at least some kind of supernatural element to the character.

We'll see of course, but Rachel having some kind of power does sort of make sense to me in a way.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 1, 2017

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Gwaint posted:

I don't think that Rachel has powers at all. You would think Chloe would have mentioned that to Max when she tells her about her time powers. "Oh, you have a superpower too? That's just like Rachel Amber!" ...Unless Rachel DOES have powers in which case... I have no idea how that will coincide with LiS at all. I feel like it's more likely just another way to make the scene more dramatic.

It's entirely possible that something happens at the end of this game that makes Chloe forget, this is a series with time travel and alternate dimensions of course.

It just seemed really obvious how they showed Rachel getting emotional and visible window coming directly from her and blowing the tree fire. It looked to me like Rachel's outburst of emotion was directly fanning the flames of the forest fire - I feel like the result of this is going to be the major plot for the other two episodes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

She likely didn't make the wind do anything it's probably just being used as a visualization for her rage. Like I said before, I literally did not read anything into it and was really surprised by everyone's reaction in this thread.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

It's fun not knowing anything again!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Not working to spoil myself, but it looks like I'll pick this up when episode 2 hits, because there sure is a lot of "there isn't much content here" talk around this.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
A Chloe prequel... that's unexpected. How's the soundtrack?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
SO, I have a wife who isn't super into games, but she does play stuff like Animal Crossing, The Sims, puzzle games like GNOG and she recently got super into Night in The Woods, so much so that she bemoans there not being more things like it. This thread reminded me that the original Life is Strange exists; would that game be something that 1)story\thematically\presentation-wise engaged her interest (just spitball, I'm not expecting you to give a definitive answer) & 2)would the controls be doable enough for someone who isn't super adept at moving a character\camera around in three dimensions with analog sticks, or qtes.

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

SO, I have a wife who isn't super into games, but she does play stuff like Animal Crossing, The Sims, puzzle games like GNOG and she recently got super into Night in The Woods, so much so that she bemoans there not being more things like it. This thread reminded me that the original Life is Strange exists; would that game be something that 1)story\thematically\presentation-wise engaged her interest (just spitball, I'm not expecting you to give a definitive answer) & 2)would the controls be doable enough for someone who isn't super adept at moving a character\camera around in three dimensions with analog sticks, or qtes.

I'd say give it a try, except perhaps be prepared to offer a helping hand or a sympathetic ear for venting, depending, for some highly annoying sneak sequences especially in the last episode. Other than that it's just the kind of game I'd recommend.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd say yes, and would also recommend Oxenfree.

I absolutely love the Backtalk mechanic, and I loved the D&D game, and loved using backtalk IN the D&D game

What happens if you go to the boss fight without going for loot, and therefore without the acid blast getting wasted?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Life is Strange episode 1 is still free so it costs nothing to just have her try Episode 1

seravid posted:

A Chloe prequel... that's unexpected. How's the soundtrack?

If you liked the first soundtrack it's more of the same with one or two more faster paced songs because Chloe

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't know it doesn't

seem too high

on the scale

I mean every draws sexy pictures of their friends right? Seriously the last one made me laugh because it's the first journal page and compared to the first games slow burn and awkward glaces, it's just like nah this poo poo is hella gay

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 2, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Just finished the first episode and i loved it despite worrying the new studio would gently caress it up. Took about 5 minutes to get used to the new voice actress and the rest of it was pretty much the same as what made me love the first game but with a slight layer of fan service on top that i appreciated.

Left me wanting more though and now i have to loving wait :(

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

spudsbuckley posted:

Just finished the first episode and i loved it despite worrying the new studio would gently caress it up. Took about 5 minutes to get used to the new voice actress and the rest of it was pretty much the same as what made me love the first game but with a slight layer of fan service on top that i appreciated.

Left me wanting more though and now i have to loving wait :(

Where I notice the difference is when Chloe has to get angry then you kinda miss Ashley otherwise I got used to it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, despite early trailers, initial reviews and the lack of Ashley Burch I was actually pleasantly surprised by this game (my only real complaint is at this point we don't really have much of a plot to speak of, compared to the first game which established a majority of its story points right from the first episode).

Do we have a release date for Episode 2 yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 3, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I completely missed out on the first one (I wound up following the LP the whole way through), so I figured I'd get in on the ground floor for this go around. Was a hella good time (I like how we found out where Chloe got 'hella' from - and I guess why she never picked it up in the alternate timeline).

More spoileriffic thoughts:

I think I saw Chloe's truck from the first game in the junkyard, and we establish she's actually mechanically gifted (I forget if that was established first time around anywhere). So she presumably might fix it up over the course of BTS/between that and LiS proper.

I managed to pull off a Pyrrhic victory in D&D, by going for the annihilation attack -> jumping in the way of the blow -> then cutting the dude's arm off so wizard buddy could roast him. We died, sure, but then again Chloe dying is something of a fixture in this series.

I like most of these new characters (okay, primarily just the DND buddies) and I'm worried that something bad might happen to explain their absence in the first game. :ohdear:

Nathan continues to be an rear end in a top hat, regardless of timeline.

Backtalk was fun, I managed to pass everything except the Great Wine Robbery.

So, Rachel might have wind powers? I figure if she does, that bit at the end was probably the moment she discovered them. I kind of wonder if she tried to use those to free herself from the Dark Room (considering in at least one of the photos Max found was her 'awake and pissed', only to fail on account of, well, the Dark Room being a tornado shelter. Maybe the Raven has something to do with it? I saw a plaque in the park on one of the totem poles that described the Raven as a trickster that should be respected but not trusted...that doesn't bode well.

Also, god drat, going back to the menu screen after finishing the game to see everything on fire is haunting.

I wonder if the bonus episode will actually be Max time-travelling back one more time to try and get a proper goodbye to Chloe, since obviously (if you go by the Save the Bay ending), Chloe would otherwise die without closure in that part of her life. I dunno how you'd square that with the Save Chloe ending. Or maybe it's just a way for the fans to say goodbye. I wonder if,
should that theory be true, they'll check to see which ending you picked from the first game and alter the episode accordingly?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm pretty sure the bonus chapter is set right before Max moved to Seattle based on the little information we have so far. I wonder if they'll manage to get Hannah Telle back for it?.

They have said we're going to have multiple endings again so I wonder if one of them will gently caress with continuity a bit to give these girls a slightly happy ending, or have a flashforward to the present to see what happened after the first game. I kind of doubt it though.

Also I can pretty much confirm that every returning character besides Chloe (though Burch technically is still involved with the project, just as a writer/character consultant rather than an actress) retains their orignal actor from the first game (including Daniel Bonjour as Frank apparently), some of them sound a bit off though I'm assuming that's because a lot of them were first timers and have been out of practice for a bit (or poor direction, one of the two).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 3, 2017

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Alright, I played through again today and paid a little more attention to small details this time.

So, Rachel playing Prospero in The Tempest seems to be a hint. Prospero was a magician who could conjure storms and the connection is too on the nose to be a coincidence. Also, if you try to talk to Rachel about the weather on the train, Chloe is nervous and stumbles and says "Nice Rachel we're having." I think Rachel can do something with nature but I don't think either her or Chloe will know it.

But then I found this post by a Deck Nine employee who said "...having multiple people in control of a superpower in Arcadia Bay felt a little odd. We didn’t want to have a town full of superheroes!"

I still think something slightly supernatural happened at the end. Maybe Rachel didn't knowingly cause it. Maybe she did and we'll find out why Chloe never knew. Or maybe it's all a red herring.

I played the original Life is Strange after all 5 episodes were out and I'm admittedly a huge fan so waiting between episodes is going to kill me. I do wonder if there will be big time skips between episodes though. I'm hoping this one ends with Rachel's disappearance so we can see what Chloe goes through as it happens.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm glad to hear it's not completely terrible but I think I'm gonna hold off on getting this right now because...

1. Strikebreaking is not cool.
2. Reviews have all agreed that not much moves forward with this episode.
3. I'm worried this is just gonna become the waifu simulator people wanted the original LiS to be and rewrite the ending.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i just finished playing the original LiS for the first time ever last week and don't really gently caress wit the idea of fleshing out Rachel Amber since it was cool how ultimately she was a hella mystery to everybody

but i'll get it when all 3 are for sale at the same time

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Loved the first Life is Strange like most. This new one snuck up on me, literally hadnt heard anything about it until yesterday so hadnt saw any impressions good or bad. So far I like it, really missed this style of gameplay as an alternative to Telltale. The sparse texting from Max when looking through Chloes phone is realistic as hell

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
The first backtalk option was pretty corny but im optimistic that was due to being a tutorial

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

The first backtalk option was pretty corny but im optimistic that was due to being a tutorial

The intro is general is kind of the weakest part of the episode imo. It's a shame too, because the original's start was really, really amazing. There is nothing even approaching the hallway scene in Before the Storm.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
this game is really gay and I dig it. It's like Gone Home but like not boring.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I loved the bits in the episode where you can just let nothing happen and soak up the atmosphere or press O to move on to the next bit. I let nothing happen for a few minutes on every single occasion.

The train bit where you listen to music with/without Rachel was the best example

More games need to have these cool deliberate quiet moments in them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

The intro is general is kind of the weakest part of the episode imo. It's a shame too, because the original's start was really, really amazing. There is nothing even approaching the hallway scene in Before the Storm.

Yeah, hopefully things will ramp up a bit in the next episode. Unless they decide to include an alternate ending we already know things can't end well for pretty much all concerned (the final episode will be called "Hell is Empty" after all), it's just a matter of seeing how things get to that point.

I wonder if we'll switch POVs to Rachel at some point as there's a few story points that need to happen but Chloe can't know about until the time of the original game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

Yeah, hopefully things will ramp up a bit in the next episode. Unless they decide to include an alternate ending we already know things can't end well for pretty much all concerned (the final episode will be called "Hell is Empty" after all), it's just a matter of seeing how things get to that point.

I wonder if we'll switch POVs to Rachel at some point as there's a few story points that need to happen but Chloe can't know about until the time of the original game.

I don't know how much we are going to get that could possibly lead up to Life is Strange because those events are literally 3 years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't know how much we are going to get that could possibly lead up to Life is Strange because those events are literally 3 years away.

True, unless we do a time jump at some point or something (how long had Rachel been missing for by the time of the first game again?). Still though, there's got to be some kind of plot they can come up with to fill the remaining two episodes.

They're at least probably going to have to explain away some of the original characters they made for the game though (which aren't too bad to be honest, I'm not sure what the point of giving Chloe her own Warren was though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 3, 2017

• Locked thread