Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

lol @ the youtube comments that are like "why would a cop just immediately shoot a guy??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

lol @ the youtube comments that are like "why would a cop just immediately shoot a guy??"

lol

e: Life is Strange 2: dad dead. so what

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 21, 2018

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
gameplay looks good. way better and more interesting than the initial trailer

succ fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 21, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seriously though, what is with this series and dead (or deadbeat) dads? So far we've got:

Chloe: William was a good dad who got killed in a car accident while David means well but is kind of a paranoid rear end in a top hat who doesn't really know how to deal with people.

Rachel (was never playable but is still important enough to count as an honorary protagonist): James is an elitist rear end in a top hat and also technically a criminal.

Chris: Charles is a washed up loser with a drinking problem who ranges from being an ok dad to an abusive rear end in a top hat who physically assaults his young son (it's heavily implied that he was responsible for the bruise on Chris' arm and I think it gets outright stated if you wake him up early on) and also at the end goes so far as to blame Chris for the death of his mom.

Sean & Daniel: Their dad seemed like a cool guy but then he got shot trying to calm down a freaked out cop and things just snowballed from there.

We've also got stuff like the Prescott family, an implication that Victoria's parents have a lot to do with her being the way she is and even Frank seems to have some issues with his dad. Of those whose parents are actually seen or mentioned I think the only ones immune to this rule are Max, Steph, and the North brothers. It's weird.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 21, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Eurogamer: Why Life is Strange 2 is ditching Arcadia Bay for its radically different roadtrip

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, so according to this Daniel is actually the one with the powers. Which would be an interesting twist at least (and would explain why the ending of Captain Spirit focused so heavily on him when Sean is the actual player character in LiS 2).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Kind of in the same boat, teen/school melodrama is what made Life Is Stange, and the other thing that made it was how it developed and created a sense of place in arcadia bay. If both of those things are taken away Im not sure this game can possible succeed.

I am pretty confident it can succeed

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I have enough faith in them to not lose hope, but everything presented so far is not hyping me up at all. Walking across the country with a young dependent who watches and learns from every choice you make? In a world where the supernatural exists, but the real focus is the characters? We had this game, it was called The Walking Dead, and it was already good. Do we need another take on it? Can dontnod do it well enough to fend off the inevitable comparison?

I've already prepurchased the game a while back, so I'm in for the ride regardless, but I remain concerned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eh, it looks interesting enough so far and since we've got 5 episodes to fill I'm sure some kind of wrench will be thrown into the works eventually. Also as mentioned, while I don't mind the travel aspect in some ways it's also kind of hard to build a strong supporting cast when our protagonists are constantly moving from place to place. From the gameplay footage we've seen, Sean and Daniel seem like decent enough characters to be fair but I'm not entirely sure they can carry the whole game on their own (I am at least glad that Sean seems to have a little bite to him and isn't as much of a blank slate as Max was though).

As I've said before, this whole premise almost seems a bit too ambitious but hopefully DontNod will be able to pull it off (and I really hope this doesn't trip at the finish line the same way the last two games did) Not that I particularly hated Polarized or Hell is Empty mind you but I don't want this to become a trend with this series either.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 22, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It just occurred to me now that if Max hadn't thrown away that butterfly photo she could just split her time between bae and bay realities at her leisure, like Jason Isaacs in Awake. She and Chloe could even have adventures where she uses knowledge from one reality to gently caress around in the other one!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Argue posted:

It just occurred to me now that if Max hadn't thrown away that butterfly photo she could just split her time between bae and bay realities at her leisure, like Jason Isaacs in Awake. She and Chloe could even have adventures where she uses knowledge from one reality to gently caress around in the other one!

Who's to say she hasn't and the Max we control throughout the events of Life is Strange isn't the first or even the millionth to go through the timeline?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

Or as evidenced by her coming back from the alternate timeline in a completely different location than when she entered it it's also possible that another Max takes over when the primary one travels through the photo (effectively possessing her own body). Therefore, when she went through the butterfly photo all she did was create an alternate universe while another Max was left behind at the lighthouse to watch the town get destroyed. In that case, technically both endings happened simultaneously.

Another possibility is that, as alluded to above, the opening segment of LiS was not actually a dream and Max has gone through this same loop who knows how many times by the point the game begins. As we see from a gameplay standpoint, her powers literally will not let Max die (whenever something like that happens everything stops and the screen turns black & white, forcing you to rewind). So essentially when the lighthouse collapsed on top of her, her powers kind of went into overdrive and effectively reset everything back to the start of the week (her reaction upon waking up is pretty similar to her reaction whenever she appears in an alternate reality).

While it's most likely just a representation of Max's inner fears and self-loathing it could also be possible that Nightmare Max is either the Max we saw at the beginning of the game or the Max from the William Lives timeline ("I'm you dumbass, or rather I'm one of the many Maxes you left behind"). Reminder that this is the timeline where you hijacked her body and eventually used it to euthanize Chloe (or you refused and she now hates your guts), leaving the Max from that reality to deal with the consequences. This would explain her deep resentment towards both Max and Chloe as they did kind of ruin her life in a sense.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So this is basically the ending of Soma. Max runs off arm in arm giggling with Chloe. Max stands by screaming into the void

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 24, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

the ending of bioshock infinite, but an infinite series of awkward kisses

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

So this is basically the ending of derp. Max runs off arm in arm giggling with Chloe. Max stands by screaming into the void

Apropos of nothing, but this is possibly the worst way to do a spoiler. No one knows what you're referring to without clicking the spoiler, at which point they are spoiled. :thumbsup:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Couple other LiS 2 related things/thoughts based what I've heard regarding the playable demo at this years Gamescom (nothing too big but spoilers just in case):

-The photo/graffiti equivalent this time is sketches but it's a bit more complex. When you encounter something to draw you have to hold down the A or X button depending to observe the scene around you until things come into focus (kind of like photo diving in the first game) the more you look around the area beforehand the more detail you'll be able to capture, once things are in focus then you can look down at Sean's sketchbook and start drawing.

-The sketchbook is also our journal equivalent this time where Sean will keep drawings, notes, memorabilia, etc.

-It's strongly implied that their mother abandoned her family for parts unknown some time before the game starts

-The boys are apparently on their way to Mexico (presumably to find their expanded family as their dad mentions going back there at some point during an earlier conversation).

-Sean's friend Lyla may be my favorite new character so far, hopefully she'll pop up again at some point beyond the introduction. Personality wise the boys themselves seem fine as well.

-How you interact with Daniel throughout the game will determine the direction his character goes in.

-I'm assuming the spirit animal this time around is a wolf as there's a lot of imagery regarding them during the game

-Daniel is the one with the powers rather than Sean and as such you might not be able to actively control them during gameplay.

-This game apparently starts at least a month or two before the events of Captain Spirit (LiS 2 begins a little before Halloween while in CS there's snow on the ground and Chris talks to his dad about buying a Christmas tree). Which would make this the first LiS game where the number of episodes does not directly correspond to the amount of time the game takes place over (LiS was a week, not counting Farewell BtS was about 3 days and Captain Spirit was 1 day).

Source

Overall, despite the changes this still seems like standard LiS fare (even the dialogue and facial animation has been improved somewhat in my opinion). So yeah, I'm a bit more optimistic about this now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 23, 2018

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't know about that gameplay video. The iffy voice acting is forgivable but the events of the climax are ridiculously far-fetched. The series' fixation on dead friends and family members as a character-defining and plot-driving element is beginning to get morbid and I really hope they didn't decide to get Topical this time. It's probably not a coincidence that the game begins a few days before the 2016 election and the last thing it needs is a bunch of Frenchmen's take on contemporary hot-button political issues in the USA.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Far-fetched? In what way? That there was an actual possible manslaughter the cop happened to witness before he murdered someone?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Karpaw posted:

I don't know about that gameplay video. The iffy voice acting is forgivable but the events of the climax are ridiculously far-fetched. The series' fixation on dead friends and family members as a character-defining and plot-driving element is beginning to get morbid and I really hope they didn't decide to get Topical this time. It's probably not a coincidence that the game begins a few days before the 2016 election and the last thing it needs is a bunch of Frenchmen's take on contemporary hot-button political issues in the USA.

gently caress off, Karpaw.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The only goofy thing about the gameplay video is that kid like gingerly falls on a rock and then acts like it loving pierced his lungs or some poo poo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I'm fine with the premise as it stands (it's not like we haven't seen this kind of stuff in previous games after all, they just kicked things up a notch), the series getting Topical is nothing new either. Though like has been mentioned, the whole travel aspect might make it hard to maintain a steady cast of supporting characters when the boys are constantly moving from place to place. But hopefully there will be at least a couple mainstays (I kind of like Lyla for example and Chris might wind up being important in some fashion as well).

I'm also curious if they're even going to bother with the concept of a central antagonist this time around, with the premise as we know it so far it doesn't really seem like it would make much sense to include one.

Considering we know that the game carries over your choices from both Captain Spirit and the original Life is Strange I'm kind of curious what Arcadia Bay is going to be like, particularly if you chose the Bae ending in the original. But then again it's been 3 years at this point so assuming there were other survivors I'm sure the town has at least started getting built back up by now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 24, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Here is my prediction for how LIS1 fits into it:

Since you are traveling south from Seattle, in like Episode 2 or 3 you will get to arcadia bay for a section and it will either be destroyed or not, and you get to go around and explore stuff and talk to people.

Either about the cleanup of the destroyed town, or the the murder of Chloe and how it shutdown blackwell or some poo poo.

That will be it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on the datamine the boys will apparently be staying at hotel there and somewhere along the line there's a voice only cameo from either Max and Warren or Max and Chloe depending on your ending choice (possibly a recording you find somewhere or something, it could also be that they're guests at the same hotel and there's an optional conversation you can hear by listening in through a door). It's possible we could run into a familiar face or two but I doubt any of them will have much importance beyond being a random NPC or something.

Either way, I doubt we're going to be spending too much time there. And that's fine to be honest, we've already had two games as well as an upcoming comic series dedicated to those characters. Give them a break for a while.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 24, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Karpaw posted:

I don't know about that gameplay video. The iffy voice acting is forgivable but the events of the climax are ridiculously far-fetched.

Yeah, realistically the cop would have rolled up on the young brown kid playing alone and just immediately shot him and driven off. And then presumably he would have received a medal for it.

(Welcome to America, you must be new here)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So (unless people are just misinterpreting the name of the recent gameplay video) it's looking like the first episode of Life is Strange 2 will simply be called Seattle. I guess this might mean that every episode will be centered around a single location rather than just moving from place to place throughout. Then again the datamine makes reference to both Chris and Arcadia Bay so I don't know (but the devs did mention a while back that Captain Spirit was originally just going to be part of LiS 2 so it's possible that stuff won't come into play until the second episode).

It also appears that Captain Spirit is less Life is Strange 2: Episode 0 and more like Episode 1.5 (it takes place about two months after the point where Episode 1 begins).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 25, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiousity, does anyone know the names of the songs that played during the LiS 2 trailer and at the start of the gameplay video?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1035550309836382208?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Oh hella yes! Life Is Strange is the game that keeps on giving!

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 31, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I want an audiobook adaptation with Hannah Telle and Ashly Burch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of them, I'd personally like to see at least one of those two return for LiS 2, even if they're playing completely new characters.

Even a straight novelization could possibly work (for both the original and Before the Storm), as there you could go into more detail regarding the secondary characters and even some events the games only mentioned or glossed over as you wouldn't necessarily need to keep it in the first-person.

Between this, the upcoming comic and what's technically our fourth game on the way (and possibly that web series from a while back assuming it ever gets off the ground), they really seem to be trying to turn LiS into a full-scale franchise. Which I'm fine with as long as they keep producing quality material.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 31, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Ready to listen to Max and Chloe spout awkward teenage slang and flirt adorably in the background whilst I'm doing other stuff, shaka brah!

Someone in the fan community actually wrote a novelization of LiS. Anyone who seeks it out should be warned though: the writer was rabidly anti-Warren and determined to have their Pricefield cake and eat it too with the Sacrifice Chloe ending.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 31, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I don't hang with no people that don't wanna go-ape.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

Ready to listen to Max and Chloe spout awkward teenage slang and flirt adorably in the background whilst I'm doing other stuff, shaka brah!

Someone in the fan community actually wrote a novelization of LiS. Anyone who seeks it out should be warned though: the writer was rabidly anti-Warren and determined to have their Pricefield cake and eat it too with the Sacrifice Chloe ending.

If it's the one I'm thinking of they also wrote a sequel where Max essentially lives through the week again only now armed with knowledge of the previous timeline and is currently working on a Before the Storm novelization. It's not bad as far as I can remember.

One of my favorite things about this franchise is that all the protagonists are just massive dorks in their own ways (including Sean and Daniel judging by the recent gameplay video). I hope they give Chris a bit more depth in LiS 2 though as right now he seems a bit too straight-laced for my tastes (though then again Kate exists so there's at least some precedent for that kind of character).

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
All I could think when Warren put his arm around Max at the end of Episode Two was "Get your paw off me, you drat dirty ape!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I'm probably never going to do a playthrough where I pursue a relationship with him Warren isn't that bad comparatively speaking. Aside from his weird crush on Max and the fact that the universe seems to want him to be alone almost as badly as it wants Chloe to suffer he's decent enough for the most part and you get the sense that he and Max have a genuine friendship with each other.

Plus, there's also the fact that if he hadn't taken that photo at the party then Max and everyone else would have been royally screwed. So technically he did help save the day in the end.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Eh, the universe is way kinder to Warren than it ever was to Chloe. In the alternate reality that results from Max saving William, he goes from hopelessly crushing on our favorite hipster to being in a relationship with a girlfriend who makes out with him in public whereas Chloe's paralysed below the neck and is inching towards death with each day that crumbles away.

Not saying that he's a bad dude by any means. He sure is no Eliot although the writer of the novelization definitely seemed to think so. Just that the quote for Planet Of The Apes popped into my head at the exact moment he leaned in for a hug.

By the way, remember Steph's annoyed note about the despicable dastard who's been pilfering her pencils? Look up at the ceiling in the drama classroom and you'll solve the mystery of where they disappeared to...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 31, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

Eh, the universe is way kinder to Warren than it ever was to Chloe. In the alternate reality that results from Max saving William, he goes from hopelessly crushing on our favorite hipster to being in a relationship with a girlfriend who makes out with him in public whereas Chloe's paralysed below the neck and is inching towards death with each day that crumbles away.

Not saying that he's a bad dude by any means. He sure is no Eliot although the writer of the novelization definitely seemed to think so. Just that the quote for Planet Of The Apes popped into my head at the exact moment he leaned in for a hug.

By the way, remember Steph's annoyed note about the thief who's been swiping her pencils? Look up at the ceiling in the drama classroom and you'll solve the mystery of where they disappeared to...

True, but that universe was erased from existence (or Max's consciousness went back and another Max was left behind to deal with the fallout depending on your interpretation) thanks to Max. Come to think about it, if you hook up with him in Episode 5 that also gets undone immediately afterwards as well.

But fair, he's still better off than Chloe who seems to continuously suffer for no other reason I can see other than the fact she exists and wants to be happy (which is apparently a serious crime in this universe, and not just for those named Chloe Price it would seem). To be fair, she did at least have a good 13 years before everything really started going to hell (aside from her cat getting run over that is).

Yet despite all that she still seems to care more about her friends than she does about her own personal well being. For example, she sabotaged her academic future and nearly got herself killed taking on a drug lord unarmed all for the sake of a girl she knew for less than a week, has the option to steal money from said drug lord in order to help out the family of someone she just recently started hanging out with, later depending on your actions would literally kill a man (one that she not only sort of considered a friend but also literally saved her life at least once) in order to protect Max (and felt so horrible about it afterwards that she was seriously considering just turning herself in), choosing death in the alternate timeline so not to further drive her family into bankruptcy and finally offering herself up in sacrifice in order to save a town that she has every right to want to see burned to the shore. Hell, even her death caused a ripple effect that wound up taking down Jefferson and the Prescotts (and 3 years earlier James Amber's entire 15 year plan essentially blew up in his face thanks to Chloe's involvement with Rachel). Chloe Price is a goddamned saint and one of the few characters in this series that I can classify as a genuine hero (even if some of it was accidental).

While I still think Sacrifice Chloe works better as a definitive ending (as well as a good end to Chloe's overall character arc, especially if you factor BtS in), I chose to Sacrifice the Bay on my last playthrough both for LiS 2 related reasons and, well let's face it, narratively speaking Chloe is a far greater asset to the world at large than some dying fishing town that's already corrupt as hell.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 1, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Im more into nerds than punks imo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Kate is clearly best girl so its not even a debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kate is one of the few characters in this series that are just genuinely good people all the way through (Chris from Captain Spirit seems to be another one but we may get a bit more depth to him in LiS 2).

To be fair, about 90% of Chloe's punk shtick is an act. She's just as much of a nerd as Max if not more so (and probably could give Warren a run for his money in terms of scientific knowledge).

• Locked thread