Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Installing it now, will hopefully get to play some tonight. I'm wary, but I really hope it's good.

Based on the reviews I've seen so far the game is disappointing at best, maybe things will pick up in the remaining episodes though. But then again, if you've experienced the original all the way through you already pretty much know everything that's going to happen in this game.

Basically unless they decide to break canon in the final episode with an alternate ending or two, no matter what happens things pretty much have to end miserably for almost every one involved in this story (then again, that was pretty much the case in the original. Only difference is now we know ahead of time).

Not sure if I'll buy it or not but it does still look interesting enough to watch a playthrough of at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

So the game essentially opens with the demo that was given at e3. I am a bit beyond that (I'm guessing 1/4 of the way through) but have some thoughts.

a) They characterize younger Chloe pretty well. She is extremely open about her abandonment issues with both her dad and Max Her journal is basically one giant letter to max
b) The voice acting gets WAY better after the intro sequence. It's kind of weird. The girl playing Chloe is actually not terrible, but it is a bit odd hearing her with a different voice.
c) They do a good job making characters look a bit younger
d) As I was worried about, there is a general lack of goals and focus. The game so far has not really done much to get me invested outside of revisiting Arcadia Bay.

Other than that, the problems of the game are kind of the same as the original. The writing is pretty cringy sometimes. Also, since there is no rewind mechanic to manipulate conversations, the flow of dialogue has been awkward at times to make sure you can get everything you need out of a conversation in one go.

It does look a bit nicer than the original in some aspects I will admit (the character models can actually emote properly for one). Out of curiosity, does the first episode give us any indication as to what this game's plot is actually about beyond what Chloe was up to while Max was in Seattle?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

Hard to say at this point but the ending reveals that Rachel has some kind of wind power she can call when she screams so I imagine we'll get a reason for the storm in LiS.

Well, can't say I saw that one coming. Though then again there are some theories that she was the one guiding Max through the first game and might even have been the source of her getting her powers to begin with so her having some kind of supernatural ability isn't too far out of the realm of possibility here.

Speaking of Max, has there been any new information released about the bonus episode starring her that was included with the Deluxe version of the game? And somewhat related, but as far as you can tell were they able to get any of the old voice cast back for this game?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

From what I can tell, the only person who appears to be any different is Chloe, Frank kind of sounds like he may be different too. Ashley Burch appears to be the only union person on the game.

Makes sense since she's about the only one (aside from Daniel Bonjour(Frank) who had a role on The Walking Dead) who had any real acting experience going into the first game (Hannah Telle (Max) is a singer but as far as I know LiS was her first acting experience). I kind of thought David had been changed at least as he sounded a bit softer in the footage I saw though that could have just been my imagination.

I'm almost positive Nathan is the same at least as his actor had a rather distinctive voice. Still though, it's nice they at least seemed to be able to get back most of the cast even if they couldn't have all of them.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I decided to watch a playthrough online for now. So far, aside from the lack of a real gameplay hook beyond what you'd see in your average Telltale game, this isn't completely terrible. New Chloe still doesn't hold a candle to Ashley Burch but you get used to her after a while.

Aside from the reveal that Rachel has some sort of power at the end the lack of real story hooks kind of doesn't sit well for me (especially seeing as this game only has 3 episodes to the previous one's 5). Whereas in the first one you could tell something was going on right away (the vision of the storm, Max's power, Rachel's disappearance, hints that something was going on with Kate, etc.).

There's enough to get you intrigued a bit at the very least but I hope that the remaining episodes (and the proper sequel DontNod is working on) will end up being a little better (I agree that the D&D game was probably the highlight of the whole thing). I kind of liked how Chloe's journal is basically just one long letter to Max though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Those are two very different impressions of Max. The first one paints Max as pretty callous, but the second seems like a sad hope that maybe if Chloe died, Max would finally return to her and they'll be friends again. (And it sorta kinda foreshadows the first game?)

Considering the first time Max meets Chloe in that game is when she gets shot in the bathroom I'd hazard a guess that was an intentional reference on their part, yes

But yeah, after seeing the first episode in full I take it back. While it's a lot more rough around the edges in some parts there's some potential in there as well. We already know from the first game that things can't end well for anyone involved here but maybe they'll throw a few curve balls here and there.

Have they announced when the remaining episodes are coming out yet (I only got into Life is Strange a little while after all 5 episodes were out so I don't know how far in advance they know these things)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, if you think about it there was no real concrete evidence that Max actually caused the storm (plus other factors like her dreaming about it before she got her powers and hints that the Prescotts knew about it as well, not to mention the fact that it was still coming/already came in both alternate timelines Max visited).

She basically just decided to take Warren's theory at face value and that was it. So Rachel possibly having something to do with it is an interesting twist.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well for one the storm literally does not exist in the ending where Chloe dies

That we know of at least. Though the implication that the universe randomly granted a teenager time powers only to punish her for actually using them (and the first time was an accident at that) never really sat that well with me, plus why would that specific moment be the trigger compared to all the stuff she does later in the game (also, that still doesn't explain why the Prescotts knew about the storm too or why Max had a vision about the storm before she even got her powers to begin with)? To be fair, this game might end up shedding a bit of light on that subject depending on where they're going with this.

I have a feeling that if she pops up again in the sequel we're going to be seeing a very different Max Caulfield than the one we're used to no matter which ending they decide to follow up on (if they decide to acknowledge the original at all that is, as it's most likely at this point we're going to be getting a brand new cast and setting).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Dontnod has already said the sequal won't have any connection to the original. It's an anthology series.

That's what I figured, though throwing in an easter egg or two probably wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility (even if it's just something small like a Hot Dog Man statue or a picture of a butterfly).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Varam posted:

Have they? When?

They've pretty much been saying the next game would most likely feature a completely new cast for a while now. Besides, I'm not really sure how you'd do a direct sequel to the original unless you went off the Sacrifice the Bay ending or something.

But yeah, I'd say the odds of seeing anyone from the first game pop up in the sequel are pretty slim at this point (which is ok, their story is pretty much done. Now it's time for some other poor sap to suffer).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sunsetaware posted:

This is encouraging to hear.

I'm still on the fence about it, but I'll probably end up getting it anyway cause I really liked the original.

It's not quite as strong a start as the original (which is a problem when you only have 3 episodes to work with) but it's not terrible either. New Chloe's performance ranges from passable to awkward but you get used to her after a while. As a whole It's better than I was expecting, I'll give it that at least.

Varam posted:

Have they? When? Where?

Seriously, maybe my googling just sucks, but I can find literally nothing on their next LiS game beyond the announcement.

It's been said in interviews and the like. At the moment we have literally no other information on the sequel other than they're working on it. My guess is we'll probably see our first trailer some time next year at the earliest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, hasn't it been theorized that the doe and/or butterfly Max kept seeing in the original was Rachel's spirit guiding her along her journey (much like the raven seems to be doing for Chloe here)? That seems to indicate there's at least some kind of supernatural element to the character.

We'll see of course, but Rachel having some kind of power does sort of make sense to me in a way.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, despite early trailers, initial reviews and the lack of Ashley Burch I was actually pleasantly surprised by this game (my only real complaint is at this point we don't really have much of a plot to speak of, compared to the first game which established a majority of its story points right from the first episode).

Do we have a release date for Episode 2 yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 3, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm pretty sure the bonus chapter is set right before Max moved to Seattle based on the little information we have so far. I wonder if they'll manage to get Hannah Telle back for it?.

They have said we're going to have multiple endings again so I wonder if one of them will gently caress with continuity a bit to give these girls a slightly happy ending, or have a flashforward to the present to see what happened after the first game. I kind of doubt it though.

Also I can pretty much confirm that every returning character besides Chloe (though Burch technically is still involved with the project, just as a writer/character consultant rather than an actress) retains their orignal actor from the first game (including Daniel Bonjour as Frank apparently), some of them sound a bit off though I'm assuming that's because a lot of them were first timers and have been out of practice for a bit (or poor direction, one of the two).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 3, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

The intro is general is kind of the weakest part of the episode imo. It's a shame too, because the original's start was really, really amazing. There is nothing even approaching the hallway scene in Before the Storm.

Yeah, hopefully things will ramp up a bit in the next episode. Unless they decide to include an alternate ending we already know things can't end well for pretty much all concerned (the final episode will be called "Hell is Empty" after all), it's just a matter of seeing how things get to that point.

I wonder if we'll switch POVs to Rachel at some point as there's a few story points that need to happen but Chloe can't know about until the time of the original game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't know how much we are going to get that could possibly lead up to Life is Strange because those events are literally 3 years away.

True, unless we do a time jump at some point or something (how long had Rachel been missing for by the time of the first game again?). Still though, there's got to be some kind of plot they can come up with to fill the remaining two episodes.

They're at least probably going to have to explain away some of the original characters they made for the game though (which aren't too bad to be honest, I'm not sure what the point of giving Chloe her own Warren was though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 3, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexie posted:

Go for it. It's not that much more and the bonus episode should be pretty interesting. If you've played through everything else, there's no reason not to skip on a bonus episode, you know?

So how does the bonus episode work anyway? Is it unlocked automatically upon starting the Deluxe version or will it not unlock until all 3 main episodes are released (I'm assuming the latter seeing as I haven't found any footage of it online yet)?

It supposedly takes place right before Max moved to Seattle and you take back control of her younger self for the duration. I'm curious if they'll be able to get Hannah Telle back to reprise her role for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, I'm also in the 'wait and see' camp, too. Initial impressions don't seem nearly as bad as I had worried, but they also don't seem to be particularly flattering, too. I have a feeling it'll loved or hated based on how it unfolds.

The fact that it's written by a different group and doesn't have the original VA are huge strikes against it in my mind. There's a huge part of me that wants more Chloe but, like, a lot if it was the life Burch brought to the character and her relationship with Max. I was never very interested in Rachel Amber.

To be fair, Burch seems to be the only VA from the first game that couldn't return for BtS (though she is still part of the production crew as a writer/consultant though). I will admit she was probably the best of the bunch overall (though for it being the majority of the cast's first time acting I'd say most of them did a drat good job).

It probably would have been better to hold off on the project until after the strike was settled but that might have been out of the team''s hands at this point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Chloe and Nathan got new voices since their actors were union. Everyone else weren't as far as I know.

Really? Nathan sounded exactly the same to me (the only one I'm not sure is the same or not is Frank but I can't find anything saying otherwise regarding him).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe he's referring to the Sacrifice Chloe ending where the main theme of the game (Spanish Sahara by Foals) plays. Based on how often it played during the trailers I'm guessing this game's equivalent is Numbers by Daughter.

Thinking about it, this series kind of hates the concept of happy endings and seems to go out of its way to punish its cast (and I'm going to guess the sequel won't be much different in that regard).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 6, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

The other ending is the superior ending. :colbert:

True enough, and that's the one I picked during my playthrough. Point is, there really is no objectively "good" ending to Life is Strange (and to be honest I don't really mind all that much).

You either let your best friend die at her weakest moment, undoing all the development made over the game (which also implies that if Max just did nothing at the start of the game all of the problems they encountered would have just resolved themselves. Meaning that in a way, she's kind of the bad guy here despite her best intentions) or you let your hometown be wiped out by a tornado for the sake of said friend.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 6, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WanderingKid posted:

Spoiler that poo poo buddy! I know its a couple of years old but its still probably the best (and most emotionally devastating) end to any game I have ever played. Its never too late to reduce more grown men to tears.

(I admit, I cried but only a little)

Fair enough, and unless they include an alternate ending in the final episode that breaks from the established canon there's pretty much no way Before the Storm can end in anything besides misery as well.

Speaking of which, I wonder if we'll be jumping ahead in time a bit at some point seeing as we only have 3 main episodes to work with and there hasn't been much in the way of an ongoing plot introduced so far aside from Rachel's family issues and possible wind powers, both of which aren't brought up until the very end of the first episode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 6, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It is kind of weird in retrospect that we don't really explore much of Max's personal life in the original game. Hell, I don't think her parents were ever named outside of supplementary material and/or maybe an entry in Max's diary (Ryan and Vanessa if you were curious), though then again her family is out in Seattle the whole time so I guess that'd be kind of hard. Even in the first game, Chloe is basically the main driving force in the plot (which is one of the reasons why she makes for a more interesting protagonist overall).

Though I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing any of the fallout from Life is Strange's endgame getting addressed in the sequel as based on comments from the developers we're pretty much guaranteed a new cast and setting with slim to no chance of any characters from the first game popping up in any meaningful fashion. Also, I'm pretty sure DontNod wants to intentionally leave things open-ended rather than explicitly declare which ending is the "canon" one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 6, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

They kind of have to or you get a telletale the walking dead thing where you have like 4 different endings and none of them matter because everyone has to be on the same starting page.

I could sort of see a sequel following the Sacrifice the Bay ending but I'm not sure how you'd continue on from Sacrifice Chloe as in that timeline about 90% of the game's plot technically never happened.

Kind of a missed opportunity there to be honest. Considering that apparently letting Chloe get shot by Nathan somehow solves all of the problems presented by the story they should have given players an option (at least on a second playthrough) to just do nothing during the bathroom scene, ending the game in Episode 1.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 7, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but Max at that point didn't know her powers were going to cause the storm, so her not using her newly-discovered powers to save Chloe wouldn't really make much sense. Plus that would have been a bit of a spoiler.

To be fair, the game doesn't really give much proof that Max specifically caused the storm (In fact there's a few arguments against it such as Max having a vision of the storm before she even gets her powers and how the Prescotts seemed to know about it as well for some reason. I suppose you could write off the first point as a self-fulfilling prophecy though). Also, even in the alternate timelines where William lived and Max entered the photo contest we saw signs that the storm was still coming/already started. The only evidence in favor of it being Max's fault is that the storm never came in the Sacrifice Chloe timeline.

Warren just presents that as a theory and Max takes it at face value for lack of a better explanation and the fact that she's pretty much at the end of her rope at that point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 7, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the first time Max uses the Rewind is basically an accident. So therefore when she suddenly gets the opportunity to redo the events of course she would have tried to save Chloe (even if she didn't recognize that the girl in the bathroom was Chloe at the time). So I'm not sure why that particular event was the catalyst for the storm and not any of the other, bigger stuff she did willingly later on. It's basically punishing Max for something at the time she had no control over.

Plus there's also the fact that the Chloe in the bathroom had no knowledge of ever making any promise to sacrifice herself. To her, her best friend (hell, based on what we know about their relationship the two were practically siblings) had basically abandoned her for years without any contact, her home life is steadily getting worse and her most recent friend has suddenly vanished without a trace. She dies angry and alone, unaware of any of the events that transpired or that Max is even back in Arcadia Bay. The whole scenario just doesn't seem fair to either of them.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 7, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I get that that's probably what they were going for (life is unfair, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, etc.) it's just never really sat that well for me.

Not that the other route is much better mind you (the town is wiped out, the girls gently caress off to who knows where and they have to live with the fact that Max just indirectly committed genocide, not to mention the fact that she's at least partially responsible for killing Chloe's entire family). Like I've said before, there really is no good ending to Life is Strange (which kind of makes sense, it's a game about choices so naturally that means you have to accept the consequences from those decisions as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 7, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

It would make more narrative sense if the universe's attempts to correct itself were reflected with less paranormal activity, but that would broadcast the ending way too easily so instead Jefferson can kill her and the storm still just keeps coming anyway.

The storm also comes in the timelines where William lives and Max wins the photo contest, getting Jefferson arrested in the process. So I don't really understand how letting Chloe die in the bathroom would suddenly stop it (plus there's evidence in the game that Nathan and his father seemed to know about the storm as well).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Chloe IS the storm personified, in case this wasn't already obvious by the end of episode 1 it's driven home by Max having that flash forward vision right after Chloe says "I wanna drop a big loving bomb on this town"

Fair point, it's pretty clear from the beginning that the universe is out for her blood. Even in Before the Storm her spirit guide is a raven whose nature seems a lot more malicious than Max's doe (generally whenever it appears in the first episode something bad usually happens soon after). I'm just not sure why that particular death was enough to stop it and not one of the dozens of others she has over the course of the game (then again, Max undoes all of those so we don't know if they would have made a difference).

Hell, if the end of the first episode is to be taken at face value there are hints in the prequel that even Rachel might have had something to do with the storm as well (they're all to blame in some way, though in Max's case it's more of her being an enabler than anything else).

Sacrificing herself probably wouldn't have helped either as it's established by the game that Max's power literally will not let her die (whenever something like that happens in the game time immediately stops and you're forced to Rewind).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

does the prequel help my theories that Alyssa is Lumpy Space Princess?

So far the only confirmed returning characters in Before the Storm are Chloe, her parents, David, Frank, Wells, Victoria, Nathan and Max via text message and an as of yet unreleased bonus episode only available in the Deluxe edition. The only other character that would make sense to show up at some point is Jefferson but I don't think Chloe ever actually meets him in person until Life is Strange.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It ends at least on a positive note for Earth-1 Max, who has probably spent thousands of years in an endless timeloop trying to resolve the whole situation.

There is a theory I kind of like that the old woman behind the diner is actually a time displaced Max and the line about her being there for 1000 years was literal (also the fact that she kind of looks like an aged up version of Max's character model) as well as others stating that the Max we play as over the course of the game isn't actually the original Max Caulfield and she's been through this whole rodeo a few times before. Not sure if it really works all that well but it is sort of interesting to think about.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I enjoyed the first game a whole lot, but I never felt a prequel was necessary. Would you say the game's worth picking up?

It's unnecessary and nothing really significant happens until the very end but it's still pretty fun overall (you get used to New Chloe pretty quickly though she never gets quite as good as Burch was, everybody else seems to have their old VA back though). I'd say either go for it or wait until at least the second episode drops to see if things pick up any.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

Brooke and Alyssa are mentioned several times each and you meet at least three returning people not on that list in the first episode (one is a teacher). :confused:

Huh, must have forgotten those somehow (don't really remember all the side characters from LiS that well). Which three were they?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

Ms. Gloria, Dana, and Evan.

Dana sounds familiar but I don't remember the other two at all. I think Evan was the weird kid with the portfolio but who's Ms. Gloria?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 8, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

Dana is the friendly cheerleader who accidentally leaves evidence she had an abortion (or possibly a miscarriage, they left it vague enough to potentially go that direction) just lying around her room. In BTS, she's playing Miranda in the Tempest

Hayden, whom you also missed, was a mostly forgettable but perpetually stoned Vortex Club member. He is now Dana's scene partner who can't remember his lines.

Evan was indeed the kid with the portfolio in episode 1 who gets his head smashed in with a piece of sheet metal in episode 5. He now wants to talk about forest fires because, yeah, this guy was always self-important

Ms. Grant is the science teacher who circulated a petition to keep security cameras off the campus. She makes a sarcastic remark about the hypothesis of whether Chloe will be in class on time. Double spoiler: Of course she isn't.

Ah, like I said I don't remember all the one-note side characters from Life is Strange (though Dana had a bit more presence than the others you mentioned), the ones I listed are the returning cast members who played an at least somewhat major role in the first game at any rate. I'm sure we'll see more familiar faces as things progress (Kate's a possibility as is Jefferson though I believe Chloe never actually meets him in person until later in the first one. If Victoria gets a larger role in future episodes I'm guessing Taylor and Courtney will show up eventually too).

Assuming we jump ahead a bit in time at some point I wonder if there will be some sections where we shift control over to Rachel (there are a few major events between now and the first game that Chloe wasn't around for after all), plus it's pretty obvious that she's going to be a major driving force in the plot the same way Chloe was in the original (though to be fair, as far as protagonists go Chloe has a lot more presence to her than Max did).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

It would be funny and kind of great if this entire prequel is like episode 1 and the whole thing is just Date My Lesbian Waifu Sim 2017

Considering the images during the ending, that's not gonna happen, but still.

Does the game want us to think that the woman Rachel's dad is cheating with is a supernatural fire spirit villain?

I doubt that, but she was just calmly sitting there smoking while things burned around her so maybe she'll end up being a bit more important in the grand scheme of things. There's also the raven that keeps following Chloe around (even in her dreams), I'm guessing it's her equivalent of Max's doe but so far it's only seemed to show up when something bad is about to happen.

While there aren't as many plot hooks dropped as there were during the first episode of the original (in fact, this game kind of seemed to drop everything in our laps within the last few minutes of the first episode) there are still enough to keep me intrigued. The fact that they only have 3 episodes to work with rather than 5 has me a bit worried but hopefully things will start ramping up pretty early into the next episode to make up for it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 9, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

Talking of choice, the game seems to allow you to blow off everyone and screw up everything, I'm hoping a "fail run" of this one is more rewarding than it was in LIS.

e: I didn't fail a single Backtalk challenge and I'm pretty sure I did them all, but how in the world do you get the Grafitti in the Junkyard?

I think the ending at least still more or less plays out the same regardless of your choice but I could be wrong on that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The more I hear of it the less of a problem I have with Chloe's new VA. She sounds a bit wooden at times but there are other parts where she absolutely nails it, like when she's in the car with William during the dream sequence ("Why are you crying sweetie?" "Because you're not real"). She's pretty on point during the D&D segment as well. Not quite Ashly Burch quality (though Burch was apparently this game's only writer) but decent enough overall and I assume her performance will only get better as the game goes on and she settles more into the role.

Also checking the credits again I can confirm that Frank's original actor did not return to reprise his role in this game either

The dialogue as a whole feels a lot more natural this time (probably because it wasn't written by a Frenchman trying to emulate American teenagers). There's only one spoken instance of "hella" in the entire first episode and it's from Rachel (whether you count that as a good thing or not is a matter of opinion though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 10, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I didn't feel any need to help out my future murderer either.

I do kind of like what they're doing with Rachel's character overall though (and apparently Chloe wound up inheriting a lot of her personality quirks as well).

As for her having some kind of power I feel it could go either way at this point, Chloe did seem a little shocked when it happened though.. There is still a little bit of the supernatural present here (the raven for example), it's just been downplayed. I'm fine if they end up keeping those elements purely symbolic this time around though.

I feel like there could be a bit more to the woman in white than meets the eye (granted, Rachel's dad could just be an rear end in a top hat but she looked like she was enjoying herself a bit too much during the ending montage) .

But yeah, overall I'm liking this game a lot more than I expected to. I'm just a little worried that with only two episodes left to go they won't have a lot of time to tell the story they want without rushing things.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

If they are taking a more supernatural direction then its foreshadowing won't have been subtle with casting Rachel as Prospero in The Tempest.

I never said they were being subtle about it (the play is definitely intended to be symbolic to the story though as if you look on the right side of the car during the dream sequences there's a poster for it featuring Rachel, Nathan and Chloe wearing a raven helmet). It's been a while since I actually read or saw The Tempest but I'd imagine there are a few parallels to the general story of Life is Strange in there as well.

And once again this game seems to be drawing influence from Twin Peaks (specifically Fire Walk With Me in this case, which is also where the name of the band at the beginning comes from).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 10, 2017

• Locked thread