Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Also known as 'every day of your life'.

My oldest just left for her first day of kindergarten. Being a parent is one hell of an emotional roller coaster.

Yup. Sitting here in the hospital with the 1 day old 3rd one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mr-Spain posted:

Congrats on the newborn

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

ilkhan posted:

Congrats on the newborn

Thanks!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr-Spain posted:

hello no sleep my old friend

congratulations to you again

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you use Facebook and you are not a member of a local buy/sell group I urge you to join one. The scamming and blatantly stolen items for sale make the experience incredibly entertaining. Some dude is losing his poo poo because he bought a "Snap On" toolbox and when he got it home he discovered it was a Harbor Freight box with a Snap On sticker. And the only reason I'm not shaming him is his sister is a friend of mine.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

If you use Facebook and you are not a member of a local buy/sell group I urge you to join one. The scamming and blatantly stolen items for sale make the experience incredibly entertaining. Some dude is losing his poo poo because he bought a "Snap On" toolbox and when he got it home he discovered it was a Harbor Freight box with a Snap On sticker. And the only reason I'm not shaming him is his sister is a friend of mine.
My brother tried to sell his car on one of those groups, he GIS'ed other cars that were clearly not his car and tried to make it look better than it was. He then posted about how some guy was trying to give him poo poo for it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

That's hilarious.
The question is: was it advertised as a "Snap On", or just as "toolbox" and pictures just happened to show the logo? Is that fraud, then? Also, if you can't tell the difference...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

My brother tried to sell his car on one of those groups, he GIS'ed other cars that were clearly not his car and tried to make it look better than it was. He then posted about how some guy was trying to give him poo poo for it.

He deserves everything he gets for that.
Seriously, I would just walk away if I went to go look at a car and it's not the pictured car from the ad, because who knows what else the seller is lying about.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Mr-Spain posted:

NICE! Our second started Preschool yesterday and my wife is home with our 2 1/2 month old (third) right now. Three is a handful, but the other two are older and play together well so it helps tremendously. Enjoy sleepy snuggly little baby. It is the best drat thing :kimchi:

Rhyno posted:

The best group I am a part of is a new neighborhood near mine that is heavily saturated with ~Millenials~ which I know I will catch a lot of flack for labeling them here (I am also apparently a millenial). The things they complain about is incredible. I can basically brine the meats I smoke with their tears. As a group they refuse to be adults and speak one on one with people over minor conflict, there is public shaming, and a general lack of owning up to personal responsibility.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Wife got us tickets to an RWB Showcase & Tech event this evening at the local Beetle dealer. I guess Nakai San was in town this past weekend building a white 964. Anything specific I should get pictures of or ask? It is a tech evening as well. So pumped for this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The ad said it was a $1700 Snap On box.

I'm currently ribbing his sister over it. It's kind of hilarious.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Mr-Spain posted:

Congrats! Good luck with the sleeping thing!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

gently caress, I loved that game.

Also, I gave my 60-something office colleague a poster with all the Fury Road vehicles on it. She loves it and all things Fury Road.

have you got a link to the poster? I know a few people who would like that not just me

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

Sounds like he'll fit in just fine, then.

Can someone explain the thing where people write up an advert and do their photos, then take screenshots of them and post those up instead?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The ad said it was a $1700 Snap On box.

I'm currently ribbing his sister over it. It's kind of hilarious.

idk sounds like victim blaming for blatant fraud

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

idk sounds like victim blaming for blatant fraud

Would you buy a $1700 item without checking to make sure it's legit?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

sure but that doesn't free the seller of the moral obligation to not commit fraud

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

Can someone explain the thing where people write up an advert and do their photos, then take screenshots of them and post those up instead?

Could be an instinct to make it much harder for whatever text they write to get scraped.

Having heard all the cars that are getting water damage totaled by Harvey, I started thinking of having a bugout plan for my car specifically. Like if I know bad weather is coming, how quickly could I store my car somewhere else.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Rhyno posted:

Just because it's an idiot getting taken advantage of doesn't make it ok.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never said it was okay. The buyer being an idiot is what amuses me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, HF boxes have gotten better, but that's not far off of p-p-p-powerbook. Seller is still a total shitstain.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I never said it was okay. The buyer being an idiot is what amuses me.

really he shouldnt be complaining on facebook if he wants to solve the issue. confront the seller or extract revenge with property damage.

did he actually pay 1700 bucks?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Having heard all the cars that are getting water damage totaled by Harvey, I started thinking of having a bugout plan for my car specifically. Like if I know bad weather is coming, how quickly could I store my car somewhere else.

That's an interesting thought. Trailer/drive them to a storage unit/friend's house on higher(hardened) ground?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jalopnik showed a guy who used bricks and jackstands to lift his E36 M3 way the hell up.

I'm close enough to the mountains that I could probably just drive up in them if they aren't getting washed away, but if AZ is seeing that kind of flooding, poo poo is going to be hosed.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I think the only disaster I'd face is a forest fire (almost happened last fall). That'd be a tough one unless you had some sort of fire-rate structure. You'd really have to remove them from the area in that case.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The best group I am a part of is a new neighborhood near mine that is heavily saturated with ~Millenials~ which I know I will catch a lot of flack for labeling them here (I am also apparently a millenial). The things they complain about is incredible. I can basically brine the meats I smoke with their tears. As a group they refuse to be adults and speak one on one with people over minor conflict, there is public shaming, and a general lack of owning up to personal responsibility.

I see that on local buy and sells with all age groups, though. The "olds" just usually do it at the local dive-bar/coffee shop/McDonald's. All I hear is them bitching about kids not wanting to work, as I'm talking to a 17-year old who's working 3 jobs for the summer to pay for college.
Everyone's poo poo, not just "millenials".

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Holy poo poo it's like people are good and bad in any stereotyped group homogenizing an entire subset of humans is idiotic.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Or something :confused:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
How dare you group me in with people. I am an attack helicopter.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

"I'm not like the other millennials because I'm special! i'm a throwback!!*"

*complains that millennials think they're special*

*the only reason you arent is because you either had a lot of privilege from free university or you got extremely lucky getting a job right out of highschool

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Adiabatic posted:

Holy poo poo it's like people are good and bad in any stereotyped group homogenizing an entire subset of humans is idiotic.

Bloomin' mods. :rolleyes:

2 major crashes this week on the road i commute on. In a tiny tinfoil Italian car. Someone died today, I'm getting nervous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

*the only reason you arent is because you either had a lot of privilege from free university or you got extremely lucky getting a job right out of highschool

I'm effectively the latter, with a couple years of dicking around at college in between.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

really he shouldnt be complaining on facebook if he wants to solve the issue. confront the seller or extract revenge with property damage.

did he actually pay 1700 bucks?

The picture showed a $1700 box from snap ons site. He paid less but it was a very cheap HF box he actually got.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm effectively the latter, with a couple years of dicking around at college in between.

i'm the first one but had my mum not died and left me a hundred grand i wouldnt have been able to pay my loans off and buy my house

i think i'd rather be the typical millennial

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

The picture showed a $1700 box from snap ons site. He paid less but it was a very cheap HF box he actually got.
I once bought a cpu off someone on craigslist who somehow erased the technical details printed on a low end chip, and then put it in a higher end cpu box. I looked at it, thought it was weird it was missing but thought maybe they didn't do it anymore and jokingly said "heh heh youre not trying to scam me right?" and still bought it like a fool. I am still salty about it 5 years later.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i only buy used poo poo from friends because the world sucks and more people are doing whatever it takes to put bread on the table

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

I once bought a cpu off someone on craigslist who somehow erased the technical details printed on a low end chip, and then put it in a higher end cpu box. I looked at it, thought it was weird it was missing but thought maybe they didn't do it anymore and jokingly said "heh heh youre not trying to scam me right?" and still bought it like a fool. I am still salty about it 5 years later.

Sometimes people will lap the IHS for better surface area contact with the cooler, so he could have done that

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Beverly Cleavage posted:

How dare you group me in with people. I am an attack helicopter.

You don't happen to be part of a government agency called Skin Horse, do you?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Raluek posted:

Sometimes people will lap the IHS for better surface area contact with the cooler, so he could have done that
Well he also scammed me so he probably just planned on that the whole time.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Darchangel posted:

You don't happen to be part of a government agency called Skin Horse, do you?

No, but those guys are :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Well he also scammed me so he probably just planned on that the whole time.

Sure, I'm just trying to explain the "somehow."

• Locked thread