Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I got a promotion and a raise and a proper permanent job. 29 years old and the first permanent job I've ever had, always been stuck on fixed term/temporary contracts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well done, how are you celebrating?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Buying a VDJ76 Landcruiser, possibly

(Probably not)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I think the only disaster I'd face is a forest fire (almost happened last fall). That'd be a tough one unless you had some sort of fire-rate structure. You'd really have to remove them from the area in that case.

If it flooded where I am poo poo would be more than hosed. But fires are more than possible so I have what I cant move insured and a place already organised to get them to for those I can move.

But after seeing a bushfire flex its power in person changed my mind about staying in the event of an emergency. If a natural disaster is coming I will grab hard drives a bag of clothes and important documents,the cats and gently caress off as fast as I can. No ifs no buts. In the end cars can be and eh... your life on the other hand is something else.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im sure my house will be inundated with water at some point within the next 50 years

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fridge corn posted:

im sure my house will be inundated with water at some point within the next 50 years

Yeah, I sometimes clog the toilet like that, too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Every time you clog a toilet you've exceeded someone's expectations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
da fuq? It's September?

anywho my coworker and I have calculated that we have eaten 132 pieces of chicken from this new korean fried chicken place since it opened on Monday.
I might be needing some Immodium.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I took yesterday off because traffic was a poo poo show. Today? People I work with have been telling me they can't find gas; when they do find it, the lines are super long. GasBuddy shows almost every station in my zip code is out, and the ones that aren't are raping people on gas prices.

I filled up Tuesday night, and haven't driven at all since getting home (filled up half a mile away, so the car is effectively full). I figure I'll see how the gas situation is this weekend, hopefully I'll get some hours in.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm close enough to the mountains that I could probably just drive up in them if they aren't getting washed away, but if AZ is seeing that kind of flooding, poo poo is going to be hosed.

That doesn't work so well in my home town, which has a similar climate and terrain to Phoenix (not quite as hot though). More evidence. The first link was when El Paso got 6-8" over several days (they normally get that in a year).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

:sigh: naturally the tone of my post was received in the way I was not intending to come across. I will accept the blame for a poor explanation. What I was trying to say is that there is a predominant demographic in a small area and those people communicate with each other through a Facebook group with all kinds of things that are a head scratcher (as in: Why would someone post that?). It consists of things that shouldn't need handholding, public shaming and other stuff from who we would call "keyboard warriors" which is funny given that this community is tight and on top of each other where if people were willing to be as tough IRL as they are online it would be chaos in that place.

It is a fun train wreck to watch from a distance, a recipe for schadenfreude.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like September might be a bad month for doggos too. Mom's dog had stomach surgery a couple of months ago (her dog thinks he's part goat.. he ate a couple of pairs of boxers and some socks from stepdad's laundry basket). Never fully recovered, and he's been a bit incontinent since. Poor guy stopped walking today. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL

The seller claims he sold a legit SO box and the buyer is trying to gently caress him and...

quote:

well, knowing [brother's name redacted] the seller is telling the truth

His own sister says it's quite possible. All the posts are deleted now, hopefully he goes on an insane rampage.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I for one blame President Barack HUSSEIN Obama for these high gas prices, why won't he do anything about it???

And ignoring people on SA is bad, it puts you into bubbles of only seeing terrible posts you like. I have zero ignored posters but it's hilarious to see PCOS Bill is so lovely at everything everywhere that over 1k people block him.

Also it's 107 at my house right now (which is like 41.666666666666666667 in C, the 'logical' temperature measurement that relies on 1 "degree" covering 2.7 actual measurable degrees of temperature)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I saw a Chrysler by Chrysler in the work carpark this morning.

And no, I haven't done a typo there, that's the actual name of the car:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_by_Chrysler

For some reason Chrysler Australia thought it was a good idea giving their LWB version of the Valiant that name.

It was mint, also lowered a bit. Sadly the car park was too crowded to get a good photo of it, hopefully it is there this afternoon when I leave work so I can get a better photo of it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
'Hmm... Americans are onto the fact that "Chrysler" is code for "Utter dogshit"... let's fool those Aussies before they find out" - The marketing department

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

'Hmm... Americans are onto the fact that "Chrysler" is code for "Utter dogshit"... let's fool those Aussies before they find out" - The marketing department
"Bloody ripper, mate!" *Buys Ford or Holden instead*

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If it flooded where I am poo poo would be more than hosed. But fires are more than possible so I have what I cant move insured and a place already organised to get them to for those I can move.

But after seeing a bushfire flex its power in person changed my mind about staying in the event of an emergency. If a natural disaster is coming I will grab hard drives a bag of clothes and important documents,the cats and gently caress off as fast as I can. No ifs no buts. In the end cars can be and eh... your life on the other hand is something else.

Yep, thats our families plan too- we're in town and a hell of a lot more easily defended than my parents place in the bush so the plan is if theres a bushfire threatening mum n dads place is for mum to grab the laptops, the dog, all the critical paperwork (which is all already sorted into a grab bag), fire up the fire sprinkler system and bug out to our place.

I'll probably be driving towards the loving thing cos im insane...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Posting in the 3rd page of the September chat thread to say it's now the 1st of September.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

"Bloody ripper, mate!" *Buys Ford or Holden instead*

We worked out Chrysler was crap pretty quickly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

InitialDave posted:

Posting in the 3rd page of the September chat thread to say it's now the 1st of September.
Its still August, and not even the end of the work day yet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

Its still August, and not even the end of the work day yet.
I literally have a line in the ground at 0° 00′ 00.00″ that says you're wrong. Technically it's about three arc seconds out, but gently caress it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Pros of living on greenwich time: Your country is so small it only has one time zone
cons: Everyone puts the kettle on at the same time during the Compare the Meerkat ad during Coronation Street and the entire country's power grid dims

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pros of living on greenwich time: Your country is so small it only has one time zone
That's why we gently caress about with it twice a year, just to keep us on our toes.

Ether Frenzy posted:

cons: Everyone puts the kettle on at the same time during the Compare the Meerkat ad during Coronation Street and the entire country's power grid dims
Seriously, my gran wouldn't come to the hospital for me being born until Corrie had finished.

Also, I don't think anyone wants to miss out on a new Aleksandr/Sergei, kettle gets saved for Tena For Men or whatever poo poo they advertise to soap watchers (I don't own a TV).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Being a septic and all, I pronounce and spell it 'Corey' and it's quite the larf among my in-laws.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Y'all, Prey is awesome. Pick up that game up if you haven't yet.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If anyone sees this tonight 8/31 and is somewhere you have uber eats PM me fast I have a $15 credit from My AMEX expiring tonight (this means you can order something $10 or less). Prefer someone who has used UberEATS before and know what they want and can message me fast.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

everdave posted:

If anyone sees this tonight 8/31 and is somewhere you have uber eats PM me fast I have a $15 credit from My AMEX expiring tonight (this means you can order something $10 or less). Prefer someone who has used UberEATS before and know what they want and can message me fast.

I wish I were hungry.

InitialDave posted:

Not yet. Not where it matters. :911:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Considering how often the chat threads devolve into boozechat, I'll take the liberty to direct your attention to this A&T thread by a dude who owns a distillery. It has potential.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fettuccini has a horribly disturbing texture coming back up. Stupid anti inflammatories ruining your stomach.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I took yesterday off because traffic was a poo poo show. Today? People I work with have been telling me they can't find gas; when they do find it, the lines are super long. GasBuddy shows almost every station in my zip code is out, and the ones that aren't are raping people on gas prices.

I filled up Tuesday night, and haven't driven at all since getting home (filled up half a mile away, so the car is effectively full). I figure I'll see how the gas situation is this weekend, hopefully I'll get some hours in.

My wife filled up Thursday morning with no problem, but by afternoon, her coworker was only able to get 3 gallons. There was no actual shortage, until people started panicking and made a run on the gas stations. One of my coworkers who commutes a ways rode his motorcycle to work, and then found he couldn't buy enough gas to get back home. Fortunately another coworker who lived locally gave him her lawnmower gas.
It's all just stupid, and some stations are gouging. One station actually changed the sign to like $5.99 *while a local news reporter was reporting.* Said reporter then informed the guy changing the sign that they were violating the Texas state law on price gouging. The enforcement agency for that law has been putting out advisories to report anything over $4/gallon.

Fortunately, I filled up last Friday (because I was empty), and my other car has about half a tank as well.

The best part is that most of our gas here in Dallas comes from Oklahoma.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

My wife filled up Thursday morning with no problem, but by afternoon, her coworker was only able to get 3 gallons. There was no actual shortage, until people started panicking and made a run on the gas stations. One of my coworkers who commutes a ways rode his motorcycle to work, and then found he couldn't buy enough gas to get back home. Fortunately another coworker who lived locally gave him her lawnmower gas.
It's all just stupid, and some stations are gouging. One station actually changed the sign to like $5.99 *while a local news reporter was reporting.* Said reporter then informed the guy changing the sign that they were violating the Texas state law on price gouging. The enforcement agency for that law has been putting out advisories to report anything over $4/gallon.

Fortunately, I filled up last Friday (because I was empty), and my other car has about half a tank as well.

At least you're in Texas, which to me makes sense that there would be some logistic problems. Any time there is any kind of issue, the governor here (NC, Asheville specifically) declares a state of emergency and gas prices skyrocket and people make a run on the pumps. In 24 hours the price went up 60+ cents.

Last year:
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/09/19/asheville-gas-shortage-leads-panic-people-freaking-out/90688134/

This year:
http://wlos.com/news/local/gov-cooper-declares-state-of-emergency-over-possible-gas-shortage

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Yea the Gas thing is pissing me off. At least most of our tanks are full and I had gas for the generator in the garage, although ten gallons i hesitate to use because it's pretty old. Still smells ok? Not sure if that's something I should be putting in a car however.

Also if you live in Texas, I just heard (but have no confirmation of) that you can now put off getting your registration renewed until October (had one expiring today and one next month).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Anyone at Ezoo?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

A station out here in Garland bumped their prices up over $8/gal for a bit, until the news showed up:

There's one gas station in my zip code that has gas, apparently.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There was a pic of some dumbass filling multiple 50 gallon trash cans with gas in the bed of his pickup, and the outrage was he was taking all the gas. I scrolled through like 200 comments and didn't notice any outrage that he was risking a fiery death for everyone around and gave up.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

everdave posted:

There was a pic of some dumbass filling multiple 50 gallon trash cans with gas in the bed of his pickup, and the outrage was he was taking all the gas. I scrolled through like 200 comments and didn't notice any outrage that he was risking a fiery death for everyone around and gave up.

you would have thought americas policy toward idiots would have sorted itself out by now

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Brother is doing drugs again. He was acting funny wednesday night. Eyes were like slits, kept rocking back and forth, talking about reaaally dumb stuff. Poured himself a drink and let it sit for 20 minutes while taking one sip. Seemed the same way on thursday night and me and my dad knew he was on something. My mom came home from her night shift, found him downstairs watching tv asleep with spilled pop all over. Ended up finding needles and heroin packets in his room. :sigh:

Sooooooooooooooo stupid. He just came off 3 years probation less than 3 weeks ago. Not that he stopped using drugs during that time.

edit: cute dog tax

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 1, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well thank gently caress, senior design request form got posted... at like 8pm last night. And it's due at 4, in person at the professor's office.

If this is supposed to be some kind of meta-lesson "sometimes your real boss will be behind the ball but still expect you to meet the deadline" poo poo, thanks but no thanks, I can do without that one.

E: These dorks at the table next to me are very loudly trying to figure out a project that will have the acronym MUMMY.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 1, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ugh sorry cage, that's heartbreaking to have to keep watching family suffer from addiction and falling back into it time and time again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Cage, that loving sucks.

Maybe a widebody Porsche will help?

I have to admit, the local Porsche dealer knows how to put on a show. Tech demo's by Pirelli Tires provincial sales rep, they flew in a project engineer from Brembo Italy to answer any questions we had and explain how Porsche and Brembo developed their carbon ceramic brakes. Followed by the unveiling of the latest RWB 964.

• Locked thread