Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Not looking good guys, Cat5 180mph :ohdear:

People already in freak out mode. All the stores around me sold out of generators so i had to order one online :v:

Cat 5 - 200 MPH now.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/905116582518693889

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Um there's a poo poo ton of islands in the Caribbean to chose from, not a big deal.

Or just go to the Keys, doesn't look like they will get affected all that much.

...what? Keys are gonna get hit its a 400 mile diameter storm.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The severe devastating winds are maybe a 50 mile diameter at best. The further out of the center the less of a big deal, and the center is forecast to go over Miami north.

This is why everyone is freaking out because they don't understand how a hurricane works.

No. Do not advise people to plan a vacation near a 400 mile wide Hurricane. Its not a Tornado, and the damage is not localized. The damaging winds (75-100+ Knots) are spread over nearly a 60 mile diameter that is going to sweep right along and into the keys before scooting along the Florida coast.

Followed by Jose who is currently modeled to do a loop and hit the keys as well.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

You're having an argument over something you basically agree on.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status...er%3D25%23pti11

The Keys are not going to be safe, at least according to current models.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Keys are a very long stretch of islands 100 miles long, Key west and the bigger islands are to the west of the predicted landfall. Most of the keys should be relatively fine if the track stays more to the east like it has been. If not then yeah it could be bad, but the track hasn't shown significant movement to the west yet.

Irma is currently modeled to envelop the keys. So no.

There's pessimism, and then there is unwarranted optimism in the face of a record shattering hurricane.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Charlz Guybon posted:

Watch this gif to the end, you think that Jose has hosed off into the North Atlantic, and then bam! :staredog:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/906193823956697088/photo/1

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

On my cell but the satellite photo I can see on that link doesn't look like anything current

Its future predicted based on Euro model runs. So thats about a week and a half from now.

Multiple models are predicting a new Tropical storm, Lee, which may turn into another Hurricane.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Wife has family in New Port Richey, just east of Tampa. Yikes.

Indeed. A good chunk of our antivirus testers and coders are in the Philippines. Haven't seen anything over company email.

Well, there is the whole "President turning dictator" and "Shoot anyone and plant evidence, its okay, I said so"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Babies in the GBS thread think Turkey Point is gonna melt down, and that that's our biggest concern in all this. I'd say "paging commieGIR" but there's already fpl nuke guys in the thread, being ignored.

LOL. The Nuclear plant is the one thing that I'm not worried about. Those things are fortresses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rdb posted:

I thought they were shutting turkey point and the other one down long before this thing hit.

Stay safe Floridians.

They'll likely start a cold shutdown a day prior. Guarantee it.

Chance are, when the storm hits, the reactor will be dead cold and the pumps running on full blast to keep it dead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

null_pointer posted:

Goddammit, why am I looking at used Audi A3s? I have a decent enough car that I just bought, like, a year ago -- a 2012 VW GLI Autobahn -- that in theory should be fine.

But the torque converter is a bit pokey, the turbo is predictably laggy at low RPMs, it's a smidge too floaty, and feels like it needs about 50 or 75 more horsepower.

Now my OCD is acting up and I'm surfing Autotrader, reading reviews, and wondering how much I would end up rolling over from my current loan into a new one, if I did end up buying.

Someone talk me out of this. Any way I can spruce up my current ride to be a smidge sportier and punchier? Disclaimer: I have no talent for wrenching, so it would have to be someone else doing the work.

If you are going to buy an Audi, you buy a large or small chassis early 90s or late 80s.

Never got late model Audi unless you have a lot of money.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

monsterzero posted:

As a former Apple fixer and seller I love announcement days because I don't have gently caress all to do with them anymore. I'm so glad I'm out of that game.

That's my one bright shining light today. This has been a (admittedly first-world, low stakes) poo poo week for me.

Its okay, Android will always have the better and newer features first

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

monsterzero posted:

I don't give a gently caress about Android vs iOS besides how much work it is for me to support BYOD. It's too bad android is also the choice of low-knowledge (aka cheap) smartphone users, because a pain in the rear end to support and manuf/carrier/dessert-type changes don't loving help me any.

So, you do care

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Im going to rename you D&DLite one of these days

I'm okay with this.

Why lite though? I have all the sugar and calories of normal D&D. Ask Ilkhan and his hurt bum.

monsterzero posted:

You got me. Android sucks, android users are all basically Hitler and Tim Cook can do no wrong.

I hate Apple but their products are easier support in the hands of folks who say poo poo like, "what's a web browser?" in TGODDAMNEDYOOL2k17.

I fully understand, I was just giving you poo poo as a Android power user. I fully get why Apple is the better phone for end users

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's not his argument you SJW fuckwit. Stop looking for a fight.

Don't use SJW as a pejorative thanks

Rhyno posted:

This is why I no longer have friends

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Amazing World of Gumball is awesome. That is all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Lol what the gently caress is going on in here

Not my fault this time!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I just got a chunk of my back removed for a pre-cancerous mole. Hooray stitches!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

How the gently caress high did that water get? I see it dripping off of one of the racks. :ohdear:

I hope he disconnected the batteries before the flooding...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Or solar + battery backup. Probably makes more sense to do that.

Size wise, a Generator is always going to be a better emergency power setup. Solar and Batteries is better for offsetting daily normal use.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I wanted a 2-3K watt generator for emergency purposes but then noticed my fridge supposedly takes up to a 7A @ 115V ... so I'm questioning the value of getting one if I can't even power our fridge or probably deep freeze with it.

You can run both on a 2-3K Watt generator, just not much else. That's roughly ~800 Watts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Mixing cleaners is typically not a good thing to do.

So question about generators... what's the benefit of a "inverter" type generator versus a cheaper plain type generator? Is it that the power/wave is much cleaner, stable and better for electronics?

Inverter Generators are more fuel efficient generally, because you have advanced power controls that can actually manage the fuel usage via motor by actual demand, versus a standard conventional generator that will just deliver constant output regardless of need.

However, you can get standard generators with higher outputs than you can inverter generators.

Adiabatic posted:

While this is the current narrative, be prepared for it to change with all the insane tech advances in solar and batteries.

poo poo just check out carbon nanotube doped perovskite crystal lattice windows, for one. Imagine a window that lets visible lighr through and redirects IR waves (heat and solar cell fuel) to the outside edges where narrow solar cells eat it up. That is legit one of many current techs that isn't super expensive of a process either.

Now imagine every window of a skyscraper like that.

I'm excited, but I'll also believe it when I see it. Lots of cool Solar developments, but I gotta see delivery first.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

That's very true. I'm pretty hyped about tech advances in power but it does take a while to actually get it implemented on a large scale.

I'm just excited that STANDARD solar cells are dropping in price fast but getting better overall output. Means good things for my Robotics projects.

I used to have to pay insane prices for good panels from Solarbotics

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I mean poo poo just thinking about load balancing with decentralized smart inverters from small renewable sites, like we were talking about yesterday in slack, gives me a huge hard-on. It would require a temendous revamping of our current transmission center load balance management equations though, which are insane and probably the most math-intensive and difficult engineering already.

I know that there's an intense discussion about revamping substations to support such things, especially with Electric Car developments starting to take off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

And then poo poo what about substation remote access cybersecurity concerns! That's what took down Ukraine and another one I can't recall. poo poo there's so much engineering to do I'm foaming at the mouth with all the opportunity!

Separation for Monitoring only, and keep any actual remote access on a permanent VPN tunnel and permanent point to point encryption.

The problem isn't remote access so much as poor network security practices on the cheap, and refusal to keep devices up to date.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah they had enterprise email on the same machines as the remote control network right? Some gumpy dude fell for a phishing attack and they took over and loaded bad firmware through as many remote channels they could iirc

This is why you VLAN and segregate workstations from servers/architecture.

Anybody needing to get to mission critical systems should have to VPN internally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Running Windows XP didn't help the situation.

And yet Windows Server 2003 lives on in many, many corporate networks. But its less about the age of the OS, more that they were never properly audited and locked down. This is unsurprising as most companies do not keep a living inventory of active systems/os/servers/etc and they live on as ticking timebombs on the network.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

The whole Operational Technology mindset of "if it works leave it the gently caress alone", combined with the ~2-4 weeks of outage per year you can actually touch anything mission critical, makes just keeping things up-to-date a huge endeavor in the industrial sector.

That's more a matter of companies needing to recognized High Availability and Disaster Recovery planning as more essential rather than cost items that should be avoided and only considered when it impacts the bottom line.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Holy poo poo tell that to all industrial plant directors ever please.

This is why I'm a consultant: I can say the bad poo poo that pisses off managers and when they say "No" I just walk away until something bad happens and they call me, and I remind them that I discussed a solution that would've prevented this, and we can implement it ASAP.

My biggest moneymakers are Virtualization, Security, Disaster Recovery Planning, and High Availability implementation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
For those of us who like space:

Cassini has begun its dive towards Saturn, Loss of Signal will be 7:55AM EST tommorrow:

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/saturn-tour/where-is-cassini-now/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I should just convert my TDI into a generator. Problem solved

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
H2Oi got cancelled till 2018, so no parade of stance sadness this year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Galler posted:

One of the best things about going into the data center on a warm day is standing over a vent and having cold air blown up each pant leg

Its the best feeling.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Hey now, there are plenty of fun manual small diesel, just needs the right fuel injection and the right turbo :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

The power delivery of diesels just doesn't do it for me for "fun" driving.

:colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5GWyiOrkk8

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Paul Rudd is my spirit animal, but Ant Man was a pile of poo poo.

I havent seen the last 8 or 9 avengers ca im thor whatever movies and im okay with that.

Deadpool is my favorite Marvel movie.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If you really need to extract the key from the BIOS/UEFI to move the Windows 10, install, here's how you do it:

https://itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-to-extract-the-windows-8-product-key/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

So its the Automotive version of the Google Manifesto poo poo. gently caress these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

This heat transfer class, professor showed a table from the book listing surface roughness for various materials. The metric column listed it in mm, usually tenths of mm or less. Cool, makes sense.

The other column, for imperial units, listed the same roughness values... in decimal feet. Like, "polished steel, 0.000004 feet"

:psyduck:

Time to remind him about Mars Climate Orbiter.

Enourmo posted:

Oh hey I recognize that case :v:

So glad I got rid of my full-tower monstrosity.

I keep upgrading this 6 year old Precision T5500. I should really stop:

https://valid.x86.fr/7yier8

I've hit the limit of the stock cooling, I had to drill the heatsink and add a fan for the primary CPU, the only way I can get a faster Xeon is watercooling now.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 28, 2017

• Locked thread