Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Turns out the previously mentioned Warboys in Cambridgeshire is only four and a half minutes west of the prime meridian. We should adopt that as our official AI demarcation for a date line. No new chat thread until it's the 1st of the month there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ugh, asking Ebay sellers whether something is a given fitment, or failing that,what size the mounting is.

"Hello, There are detailed model table in the description, pls carefully check."

No there loving isn't, that's why I'm asking.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, they now say they've checked and it's not what I need.

Whether they ACTUALLY checked, or just want rid of me, who knows.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

My brother tried to sell his car on one of those groups, he GIS'ed other cars that were clearly not his car and tried to make it look better than it was. He then posted about how some guy was trying to give him poo poo for it.
Sounds like he'll fit in just fine, then.

Can someone explain the thing where people write up an advert and do their photos, then take screenshots of them and post those up instead?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

'Hmm... Americans are onto the fact that "Chrysler" is code for "Utter dogshit"... let's fool those Aussies before they find out" - The marketing department
"Bloody ripper, mate!" *Buys Ford or Holden instead*

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Posting in the 3rd page of the September chat thread to say it's now the 1st of September.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

Its still August, and not even the end of the work day yet.
I literally have a line in the ground at 0° 00′ 00.00″ that says you're wrong. Technically it's about three arc seconds out, but gently caress it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pros of living on greenwich time: Your country is so small it only has one time zone
That's why we gently caress about with it twice a year, just to keep us on our toes.

Ether Frenzy posted:

cons: Everyone puts the kettle on at the same time during the Compare the Meerkat ad during Coronation Street and the entire country's power grid dims
Seriously, my gran wouldn't come to the hospital for me being born until Corrie had finished.

Also, I don't think anyone wants to miss out on a new Aleksandr/Sergei, kettle gets saved for Tena For Men or whatever poo poo they advertise to soap watchers (I don't own a TV).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Grakkus posted:

29, been balding since 22, it's awesome though once you accept it, go all in and shave your head. No more haircuts, wasting time on drying or styling it. Just gotta have a beard too so your head doesn't look like an egg :)
I'm similar, started losing hair in my 20s (mid 30s now).

I don't understand why people get wound up about it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Devyl posted:

Making bolts and screws for cars is complicated business. Holy poo poo, things get down to the thousandths of a millimeter for safety critical (think airbag, seat belt, and steering wheel retaining bolts) parts we make.
Never mind the actual parts, paperwork's the real ticket with anything like that.

Did you mention previously about getting into fastener manufacturing? I can't remember. In many ways, automotive is harder than aerospace, the technical requirements aren't a million miles away, but car manufacturers are a lot more driven when it comes to schedules and cost-down over time. Anything proprietary and safety critical is a good avenue to get your fingers into.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The people who buy cheap rear end cars and bikes here are the absolute loving worst.
There was a recent thread on PistonHeads where a guy sold his daughter's old car - running/working, MOT'd (annual inspection) for the next 5 months, and generally road legal and ok - for £300. And the oval office that bought it wanted to bring it back for a refund because it had a bit of an oil weepage from the rocker cover and it didn't have power steering (not that it was broken, the car just didn't have it).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Luxrage posted:

My other options for a sorta fun convertible would be something like a mid-80s Mercedes, either a 500SL or 560SL. I was talking to my uncle who owns one and he told me not to bother with anything smaller than that, he has a 380SL of his own. I just want a fun tourer with an optional hardtop. Something of a weekend car that'd be fun to tool around with with the top down. There are THREE 70s Cadillac Eldorado Convertibles for sale in town...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhX0Y2wQfqo

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

A BP swapped Festiva is too cool for Douchenburg.
I can't see a Festiva and not think of a Kia Pride. I mean, they were pretty terrible, and I don't understand how the US versions can be much of an improvement. Is the love of them just down to the US not getting all the really good small 80s cars that everyone else had?

Rhyno posted:

Dad has to have open heart surgery. I might be freaking out a bit.
He's considered a good enough prospect for them to want to do it, so chin up, dude. Surgeons are arrogant bastards and they do not like losing, if they've decided they want to go ahead, he's likely going to be ok.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Spent a load of time yesterday wet sanding a wheel.

My wrist feels like that of either an 80 year old man or a 15 year old boy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Quick question for a friend, admin fees on used cars legit or no?

"2014 subaru impreza 13,999 miles is asking 15,999 + 3% tax + admin fee at 589 + 102 non tax fees"
I regard them as bullshit to let them meet a headline number, save for if they're required to list stuff separately due to taxation regs.

It's all part of the pathological inability of dealerships to talk in terms of total cost for a sale.

The implication is that the $589 is subject to the 3% tax, and the $102 isn't.

But $15,999 gets more people in the door than $17,188 does.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bugger. I have an test sample to send to a lab in Florida this week, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

The one benefit is those houses are built out of stone/brick/concrete and weather hurricanes incredibly well... as in, a Cat4 went by a few years back and the house was untouched, but this monster has everyone on edge.
I always find it odd how much wood is involved in US house construction, especially in areas with strong three little pigs parallels.

It makes more sense in areas with earthquakes, I suppose, but I'd still have thought there were more durable options.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, the comments TT made aren't the entirety of his thoughts on the hurricane situation, just the current foremost ones.

Similarly, I think it looks pretty bad, and I hope everyone will be ok, but the only way it directly affects me is in wondering if it'll incapacitate a laboratory I need to do some work for me. So any comments I make would be regarding that.

Adiabatic posted:

Hey if you drink single malt islay you arent a drunk. Youre distinguished.
Depends how many bottles you get through a week, mind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

So what's the line between disgusting and distinguished? Vomiting in public vs private?
That, and still turning up to work the next day without anyone twigging.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

Holy poo poo. I don't get scared driving cars, I'm pretty much comfortable with anything they do or can do. And I just got scared driving my neighbor's '98 ML320.

He stopped me as I was mowing and said that he had a "rattle" and wanted me to look at it. He just had the catalytic convertors replaced, so I said it was probably a heat shield rattling after heat cycling a couple times. He left the keys and I took it out.

It felt normal and I didn't know wtf he was talking about, then I got to ~45 and all of a sudden there was a shudder/CLUNKCLUNK the shook and thudded through the whole car. It felt like a major corner of the suspension collapsed. I babied it home, checked out all four corners and didn't see anything.

I took it out again, putting it in low range first, and didn't see anything. Then I put it back in normal range and it did it again. Wow.

Looks like something either in the front differential, transfer case or transmission, but gently caress, that's bad.
Do they have part time 4x4 with auto-locking front hubs? That's exactly what I've felt those do if they're half disengaged one side.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

null_pointer posted:

Goddammit, why am I looking at used Audi A3s? I have a decent enough car that I just bought, like, a year ago -- a 2012 VW GLI Autobahn -- that in theory should be fine.

But the torque converter is a bit pokey, the turbo is predictably laggy at low RPMs, it's a smidge too floaty, and feels like it needs about 50 or 75 more horsepower.

Now my OCD is acting up and I'm surfing Autotrader, reading reviews, and wondering how much I would end up rolling over from my current loan into a new one, if I did end up buying.

Someone talk me out of this. Any way I can spruce up my current ride to be a smidge sportier and punchier? Disclaimer: I have no talent for wrenching, so it would have to be someone else doing the work.
Hmm, aren't those a DSG transmission? Having a look around, it seems that the GLI has higher gearing than the equivalent GTI, which would make it feel more sluggish, but there's not really any way to do anything about that without a gearbox swap, and I don't know how that would work with things like programmed shift points etc.

I think a mild upgrade with an ECU tune and possibly some exhaust work could free up the extra poke you're after, but you'd need someone with more specific VW knowledge to chime in.

angryrobots posted:

Truck broke down yesterday with MY WIFE hauling her horse about 50 miles from home. Sounds like bad gas, she had just filled up. Made it to her friend's house before it shut off, so fortunately the horse and trailer can stay there.

Got a recommended local shop to come pick up the truck, told me flat out it'll be next week before they look at it. I'll take what I can get.

Googling my situation, sounds like insurance may pay out so that's an option if the damages are great enough. I need to call the shop Monday and have them keep a sample if it is bad gas. :(
Had she filled up from it being really low? Could just be sediment stirred up from the bottom of the tank blocking the filter.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

Nah, probably like a 1/4 tank. Also the fuel filter was replaced last year and it's a very large canister. I'd be surprised if it's clogged.

It could absolutely be a bad fuel pump, or something else. Something else is probably preferable.
There's often a "sock" on the end of the in-tank pump, too, which can clog.

It's very easy to pull a fuel hose and blow back down it (bicycle pump can work nicely), which sometimes is all that's needed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I have workmates younger than these tyres.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

WW/YY
week and year.
WWY pre-2000, remember, the little triangle tells you it's 199X not 198X.

These are week 49 of 1998. Cher was #1 in the charts when these things were moulded.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

the tide is high
But I'm holding on?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How bad are things in the south Miami area?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wrar posted:

Which part? I'll ask.
Specifically just east of Miami Executive Airport, between that and Kendall, thanks. Zip code 33186.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wrar posted:

My sister is a nurse at a hospital near there, I've asked, but it might be a bit if she's on-shift.

Actually watching video from a friend who lives near there. Looks like downed trees mostly.
Yeah, that's cool, thanks. Sounds like it wasn't totally crazy. I was mainly looking to make sure it wasn't a "everything is hosed, and will be for weeks" situation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No worries, I'll wait and see what I hear from them directly on that front.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I'm selling a car on ebay :(

How many messages saying 'How much do U wont for it M8????' am I going to get by the end of this?
Ebay isn't actually that bad, but stay the gently caress away from Facebook sales.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Can someone explain to me why Wrangler jeans that are $20 at Target and on Wrangler's site itself are $like $35 and up (and I mean UP) on Amazon?
What the gently caress.
Quite possibly not the same product. Some stuff sold to big, low-price chain stores is actually a "lower grade" version even though nominally the same thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think the other point, STR, is that the difference between Texas and even the fairly unprogressive areas of the UK would've been more than a little stark the further back you go.

I'd also say the main thing nowadays is that a teenager's peer group probably doesn't give that much of a poo poo about this stuff, it's a lot more normalised as part of society for them - and even if parents etc have hangups about it, if there's one thing teenagers are good at, it's deciding their elders are idiots.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I have a bitch of a migraine, what's left of my tooth hurts, and my nose hurts.
I know it's not going to be an encouraging answer, but what's your situation with dental coverage etc?

Statutory Ape posted:

SJW is not a pejorative, and that you think it is is pretty telling.
It sure is, and people like you are the reason why.

Statutory Ape posted:

Edit: But thats alright. I'm going to peace right the hell out of AI.
Good. You wander in here to start that kind of routine on STR of all people? Don't come back.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Your dental coverage is a rich, attractive actor, whose dad is a dentist? Could be worse!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

New co-worker has a 2008 R6 that he hasn't ridden in a year since his wife won't let him...wonder how cheap he would let it go for...
"Let" him? Jesus Christ.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

They have young kids. He understands wanting to see them grow up.
He's not going to explode the second he gets on a bike. Being sensible is one thing, being told you're not allowed to do it at all is quite another.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ughhhh Christ.

Trying to get my propshaft retubed, it's 2.25" and something like .065" thick. Guys doing it for me got some tube in, but it's .125" wall thickness, and their supplier doesn't have anything thinner. So I have a look myself, and manage to find some .080" from somewhere. .065" just isn't on the table it seems, but .080" should be a standard size. Which I can only find at one place anywhere relatively nearby. Ok, £35 a metre, whatever, I only need a short bit, I'll go collect it.

Noooo, that price on the website is "wrong", it's £80 a metre. :wtc: It's loving CDS tube, that's ridiculous, and that's more than the cost to have it delivered per the website with their eyewatering minimum deliver cost and the tax. Fine, I'll order it online and see if it goes through. It's a one-off purchase, I'll live with the gouging.

Get a phone call couple of hours later, bet they're going to tell me the price isn't valid. Nope, they're going to tell me they don't have it in stock, haven't for ages, and won't do so any time soon. Woooo. But they can sell me some .105" for the same price. Ughhhh.

Run the numbers, the .105" would be about 800g heavier than the .080". The .125" would be another 700g on top of that.

Told the guys to use the .125" they have. I'll live with the weight increase, it probably won't hurt all that much, and it's not worth what would end up being £70 to save 700g.

At least this one shouldn't bend...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, it looks like, from May next year, cars over 40 years old won't need an MOT (annual safety inspection) in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...dworthiness.pdf

There seems likely to be a "not substantially modified" clause to this. Guess we'll have to see what shakes out with the actual legislation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh and gently caress CVT's with a barge pole
I remember driving up a Japanese mountain in a 1.0 Toyota with a CVT, and hilariously, it had a "sport" mode. It did literally nothing except make it louder.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, since this year Sweden is on a rolling 50 yo limit, after which you don't need inspection (after 30 years it's tax exempt and the inspection is only bi-annual). If it is currently not roadworthy when it passes the limit, you have to pass one more inspection.
Mmm, there's been a bit of a debate on PistonHeads about it, and people are reasonably sure that being modified such as to not get MOT exemption won't cost you your VED (tax) exception, as the poor wording of the documentation was concerning me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wife's handbrake is borked again, looks like I have to fix it tomorrow as I'm away with work next week and we have somewhere to be in an hour. Best hope it doesn't need parts!

I suppose if it does she can just drive mine while I'm away.
What car?

Jammed on or won't engage?

• Locked thread