Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I won't even buy shipped/sold-by Amazon if it's something that is easy to counterfeit as I don't trust them to keep their inventory separate. After a few years of not really ordering from anywhere other than Amazon, I've been pleasantly surprised that shipping speeds from not-Amazon seem to have improved a lot and I'm getting most ground shipped items within 3-4 days of my order despite it coming from at least halfway across the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hey guys - topical since we were just talking about bootleg/counterfeit/trash garbage from 'marketplace' vendors on prettymucheverywhere.com now, anyone have a suggestion for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-7500mAh-Lithium-Starter-Jumpstart/dp/B01M7UTM6H that doesn't cost $100 and isn't fake junk?

I got this one a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if they're still being made or not though as it's only being sold by that one third party seller and auto-vox's own website doesn't seem to show it. Looks like they might be selling through newegg. It is a chinese unit but there are a bunch of load tests on youtube and that unit seems to work pretty good.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Generator chat finally got me to go look at the output of mine with my newest toys.

Champion 75531i 2800/3100 watts

The Fluke is in peak min/max mode but it also agreed with the scope on everything else it can measure

e: this has a ~750w work light connected to it just to give it some load. Looks like 127v is right at the top but within spec.

I barely know what half that poo poo means but oscilloscopes are cool as gently caress

Mains for reference

I went with an inverter because everything I want to plug into it (except the sump pump) has a computer in it and might not tolerate dirty power. I've read a few posts of people complaining that if they plugged their UPS into the conventional generator the UPS would just alarm and disconnect itself from the generator.

Galler fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 14, 2017

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If I planned on living here more than another year or two I would install a standby generator and just keep the portable one to help out friends or something. Having a generator and transfer switch that can take care of itself would be pretty nice when traveling or otherwise being away. Granted I think we've only lost power for more than an hour like twice in the past 5 years but both times it was >24 hours and could have been problematic if I was away. I ordered the generator (everything within 50 miles or so was sold out) at like hour 20 of the last outage during an ice storm as I watched the temperature in the house drop further and further. Fortunately I finished the water powered backup sump pump install during the outage literally minutes before the sump pit would have overflowed.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

One of the best things about going into the data center on a warm day is standing over a vent and having cold air blown up each pant leg

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I would go that route and if you end up needing something bigger for big resistive loads then you can probably get one used for <$200. At least my local craigslist has a bunch of 4-6kW units which supposedly work with asking prices of 150-200.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

gently caress paypal with a cactus. I will only use it as a last resort and the only thing I will ever give them is a temporary credit card number with a credit limit of a few dollars more than whatever I am buying and a very short expiration date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Never going back to a full tower. ITX for life.

I went the opposite direction with a Thermaltake Core X9 which is even more huge (19.8 x 15 x 25.2 inch) than the Thor V2 it replaced. Soon it will have 10x140mm fans (6 of them on the dual 420mm radiators) and 2x230mm fans. This slippery slope leading to a sheer cliff started because my cpu fan (120mm coolermaster on a 212 evo) was too noisy and instead of just replacing it or even buying a better cooler I decided to watercool everything because :pcgaming:

• Locked thread