Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

I think I mentioned I was having issues with my sewer line. Finally got the quote back from the plumber.
$5400 to replace 35' of cast iron sewer pipe with 3" PVC. Most of that is digging, of course - the main sewer line is 6' down. The city wants to inspect the junction when it's exposed, and charge me $500 if it needs to be replaced. WTF? That's their problem, for which I pay taxes. Jerks.
I really would rather spend $5400 on something other than shitpipe....
#homeownerproblems, I guess.

Did they run a camera down the main and confirm its damaged? If you're just getting tree roots into old pipe there are solutions that don't require digging - in can't recall the name but basically they run a thin PVC line through the existing pipe, shoot hot air through it which softens and expands the plastic and it fills/seals the existing pipe. Supposed to cost a fraction of digging up the existing line and replacing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I have a couple questions like that to ask, maybe a second opinion.
But,

that's the bit I dug up. The dark space is a crack in the top of the cast iron.
I'll also be asking if it *all* needs to be replaced. They did run a camera down initially, but mainly for tracking the line.

From my research on the topic (had a clog back in June, which was the third time in as many years - my house was built in 1925 and AFAIK the main is original) as long as the pipe isn't completely collapsed CIPP should work.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Guys, guys!
I know I heard about The Room here. you're going to love this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKX2tE5Luk

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/the-disaster-artist-is-peak-james-franco.html

The Vulture posted:

“He did direct the movie in character,” producer Seth Rogen told the audience after the SXSW screening, “There were scenes where [he was] playing Tommy directing a movie as Tommy directing a movie as Tommy. That was when we were like, This is loving weird, man.”

Also if you've never seen The Room with Rifftrax (original cast of MST3K doing what they do best) commentary you're really missing out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
TT, if you want to give training another try you might see if there's a Sit Means Sit franchise in the Detroit area.

My wife used to work as a receptionist at the NE Ohio franchise and their specialty was last chance dogs, which they had a very high success rate with. In the two years she worked there the only case she can recall them not succeeding was a rescue dog with diagnosed mental issues. Granted she can't vouch for other franchises but they all receive the same training and use the same techniques, so it might be worth a shot.

• Locked thread