Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'm selling a car on ebay :(

How many messages saying 'How much do U wont for it M8????' am I going to get by the end of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Still better than the idiots who phone you at 2am to ask for the best price for something you're selling on Autotrader.

I only got one message via autotrader on the last day of my ad which was a very sensible "Will you take <reasonable offer> based on the condition and due to Y?"

To which I responded promptly 'Yes I will if you can come within the next 3 days when I am at home' and then I didn't get a response until today (PM of day 4). Weird people.

Its currently on ebay bid up to £250 with 6 days to go and someone just rang me via the ebay ad and offered me £250 - which seems to show a lack of understanding of the auction process.

To take my mind of the car I have been replacing my house alarm which gave up last week with a control board fault. My alarm is from 1995 but I am replacing it with the current/new version of the same Alarm - which is compatible with the PIR's and keypads and comes in a case which is externally identical. The control board that goes in it is also the same physical size and and has the same inputs/outputs plus a bunch more.

You would think that they would have kept it the same internally too - but no, they have moved the standoff/mounting locations on the board and moved the tamper switch so you have to swap the whole case over rather than just swapping the board over, and they have moved 8 of the connections around to the opposite end of the board just to make it really hard to get your existing wiring to fit.

And the keypads - which are also the same physical size and approximate appearance have all the screw holes and the wire entry breakouts in different places. They have given me a choice of 8 screwholes in the back and none of them line up with the 4 the old keypads had. Bastards.

InitialDave posted:

Ebay isn't actually that bad, but stay the gently caress away from Facebook sales.

I had it on facebook too. I just got loads of stupid offers. Yes I'd love to take £150 for a car advertised at £950

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 12, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I now treat phones like I do cars cars. I like to buy a used one that is atleast 18 months old so that someone else takes the big financial hit, and so that by being a generation or two behind parts are cheap for me to fix it and I don't have to worry about damaging it during daily use.

Go out and buy those iPhone X's people as it will drop prices in the used phone market for the sensible people like me (and i probably need to upgrade from a 5c within the next 12 months...)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jamal posted:

I did that with my last two phones. Worked for the first one, but the 3rd gen moto x I bought in june just poo poo the bed and only half the screen works. So I'll probably go buy a moto g from best buy unless there's something better for $200 or less.

Why not just buy a screen for it? (ive had the same sort of issues on iphones and its always been the screen/digitiser). My iphone got its 3rd screen tonight. The screens now only cost £15 as complete units with the camera and button attached :)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rhyno posted:

The games sub forum is loving horrible, I just want to play old NES and SNES games.

Like BraveUlysses says, buy a Pi3, get a 64gb microSD card and get RetroPi on it and then plug it into your TV/Projector. Its excellant.

You will want a USB joypad. Xbox 360 ones work well or just buy a $10 USB SNES copy controller.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Went out to the shops in my landrover today. Broke down on the way home. It felt down on power for a while and then it just stopped running.

I walked the 2 miles home and then drove back out to it. Tested loads of stuff and eventually it just started again.

It looks like my thread has now been archived too. I'm feeling a bit stumped as to what the issue with it is.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Fuel evaporation perhaps? How hot was it?

Funnily enough fuel vaporisation was my fathers suggestion too.

When it first stopped I tested the spark, which was good (I touched the gearstick as I was holding a HT lead against the block and it loving hurt), but i swapped the coil for the one off my Saab anyway - and this made no difference.

When I got back to it I sprayed easy start into a vacuum pipe and it would run briefly on that, so it looks to be fuel related. I datalogged it and the Megasquirt was getting and doing everything that i thought it should be.

The last things I did before it started were
a) remove the fuel return line and squirted a load of fuel out to ensure the pump was working (it goes right across the engine bay - so yes!)
b) test the engine wiring loom to the injector with my multimeter (both banks had power and the earths back to the ecu connector were good)
c) Manually ran both banks of injectors for a couple of seconds by jumping the ECU connector to earth. I could hear them running.

I guess these would have cleared any fuel issues

It wasn't that hot a day today, and the engine had barely got to temperature.. but how it is fitted in the 101 there is gently caress all airflow round the top of the engine - the plenum is 20mm below the engine cover so this is probably much hotter than for its typical fitting.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

While I was out breaking down in my landrover today the person who won my car on ebay last weekend turned up to pay for and collect it, but obviously couldn't because I was not in.

If you were going to get a lift 50-odd miles to collect a car after being told "let me know when you are going to come and collect it" you would contact the seller before you left home right?... especially if you were turning up 24 hours later than originally agreed?..

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Loads of ex military vehicles used to get given Qs rather than age related plates. I think it's probably just simpler for them. I suspect that the accepted 'proof of age' has to be of the right form.

Looks like imported stuff is similar.

My landy got given a 1982 reg rather than a Q when it was sold by the MOD in 2000 ish. They picked 82 as they obviously had some mod paperwork saying it entered service in 82.

It was actually built in 78 (then sat in a warehouse till 82).
I have to get a rover factory build cert to get the DVLA to change its build date, after which point I could apply for a new age related plate if I wanted too.

Or it might be a sweet sleeper...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Maintenance, yes. From what I gather it just needs more frequent oil changes than what I'm used to, CVT fluid every ~50k if you're feeling spendy, and uses a bucketload more coolant than the Saturn?

I thought my original lease limited me to 1 vehicle, but I just went over my current lease, and there's no limit mentioned. They don't do permits or visitor parking here, parking is plentiful (26-28? spaces for my 12 unit, all 1 bedroom building, I've never seen more than 12 occupied), and the areas I park in are well lit. Yeah, it's a unicorn property in that regard. I've only seen one car get slapped with a tow sticker, and it was an obvious stolen car that had been dumped here. Basically, so long as your car isn't pissing rivers of fluid, has all of the wheels on it, doesn't appear abandoned, has air in the tires, and you can park between the lines, you're good (essentially the same things the city would care about if you were parked on the street, except you can leave your car in the same spot for months here). There's also nothing mentioned prohibiting car maintenance, though I do all of that after the office is closed just in case they're showing someone around the property.

There's a lot of poo poo I hate about this place, but parking is not one of them - I feel like I struck gold in that regard. The potholes, OTOH, can eat a dick, but they've been slowly patching them this summer.

Dude, if you cant afford the maintenance on car 1 (I thought your aircon was hosed and you were too skint to fix it?) then you shouldn't really be buying car 2 with a view to keeping both of them

Goober Peas posted:

Ask about the history of its brake booster. With that mileage it should have already been through 1. If not, your number will be up soon.

edit: Is it too early for the October thread :haw:

I thought that the october thread was already locked and loaded by Mr Metal Geir Skogul? (just reopen the thread...)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not water unfortunantly . All that is ground up synchro

That drain plug looks just like your standard landrover diff oil....

It really does look like it has water in too in addition to synchro glitter.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Seminal Flu posted:

4x100 should be easy to unload. I hope you don't need 4x108.

Ive got some lovely 4x108 TRX alloys if you want to be unique. I'm gonna make them into an patio table or something similar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

TT - pet that dogge please

I went to a metal gig tonight. It was great :)

however, the drive home was poo poo as google maps - despite being able to tell me when someone has parked badly in my quiet residential street - never seems to know about major motorway exit/entry slip road closures

• Locked thread