Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Luxrage posted:

I'd love to see something like that, that sounds like a cool experience!

I've been looking around for a sporty little convertible type car, something older and a little unique, and despite more sane offerings, I think I've fallen in love with the Ford/Mazda Aussie-built Mercury Capri.

There's just something about the combination of it being kinda quirky, a vaguely ford product, a die-hard owner's club, and a stick-shift turbo convertible that pushes all my bad-car-buying-choice buttons. And there's tons of accessories to boot, it's like a toy car.

The real reason I'm bringing this up is that I was doing some research on it and a Capri fansite had a scan of Consumer Reports reviewing the first US model and they absolutely roasted it.

:drat:

I dug this quote up too:

I still want a green turbo one really badly for some reason :sax:

Bonus content:

Lemme save you some time, they're poo poo. My buddy loved them too until he bought one for his first car. Half the parts are full on nla, to the point that guy were fabricobling garden sprayers as brake fluid reservoirs, the only source for half of the suspension bushings is an old dude who bought the molds and makes a small batch once every 2 years, etc. It didn't ride worth a poo poo, was slow and a brake job on it is a loving nightmare. In the 5 months he owned it, it spent a month sitting in his carport while he tried to get it tuned up and 2 months on jackstands in my garage dealing with a deathwobble any time he went above 40mph. gently caress that car forever. Just buy a loving miata if you want a small convertible sports car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It depends on what the storm actually does. Hes in orlando, so the big concerns there are where it comes ashore and how far inland it travels before hooking north. Somewhere in florida is getting the full meaty donging from irma, what the rest gets depends on where that somewhere is.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm an hour north of applebees appetizer. No clue what I'm doing yet since I'm flat broke till thursday, probably expected to work until the last possible moment and yeah. I've got nowhere to flee to that I can afford to even stay more than a night anyways, unless I run all the way to texas. I've got silver spray paint and a machete though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, thats why I've kinda adopted a wait and see approach. I know enough backroads to maybe get out close to hurricane o clock if it comes in straight. If it winds up strafing all the way up the center of the state uh... Idkmybffjill.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yes, but they aren't cost effective options. And this is america afterall. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Come up where I am AA, I know a dude that builds airboats, we can hi-jack one and begin a brutal reign of pirate lords not seen in florida for the last 300+ years. :yarr:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I live in a mobile home from the late 80s. I'mma loving die.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I live in the town monster is based in and my boss used to run their warranty department. It used to be an excellent company who made great quality stuff. Now the owners son has forced the owner out and is slowly destroying the business, they have a disgusting turnover rate in the shop since they don't pay worth a dick for entry level and there was a recent issue with the owner firing the entire sales department after a video of one of their transmissions rated for 600+hp grenading behind a NA LS3 on a dyno went viral. Part of the reason was they refused to warranty it saying the shop must have installed it improperly. Like literally case splitting grenading. Installation does not cause that.

They buy their parts from transtar and use florida torque converters for their torque converters. Tbh find a shop near you that uses transtar parts and you'll have a comparable trans that'll cost less.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 7, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It can just keep going straight, I ain't bothered. Gonna knife all these fucks coming in for hurricane supplies accusing me of gouging though. No you useless cockmeat sandwich, this is our normal price, gently caress off and die.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Current track has it hitting naples and tbh, I'm 100% ok with naples being wiped from the face of the earth. Losing my home would be a fair price to pay for that.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ok. Maybe just the naples yacht club and the gated retirement communities then?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You see the red dot above the blue line? Yeah. Though still nobody can give an accurate estimate for my area. I've heard everything from 80mph winds to 130. Makes it hard to decide exactly how drunk and belligerent I should get. I do get to cross an item off my bucket list though. Take a piss outside in a major storm while flipping it the bird.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

^^^
Those are projections for the eye's path of travel. Within 60 miles of the eye will still experience hurricane force winds. 150 miles from the eye will experience tropical storm conditions. For reference, central florida is around 150 miles wide. Irmas a big bitch.

Uhhhh. My bathtub will be filled with emergency pooping water so idk about that.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 10, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh poo poo thanks for posting this because I completely forgot about it

Gotta have pooping water

I thought you went to a shelter? Be careful down there man. :ohdear:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went to check out the negative storm surge. I've seen extreme low tides out there before and this was 2-3ft below that. Was a bit freaky.

Edit: Now with pictures!

Boat dock at Bayport Florida. I've seen the rocks/oyster beds this one is resting on start to poke out at extreme low tide, but never sitting directly on them like this.

View from the top of the boat dock.

View from the bridge heading out to Pine Island in Weeki Wachee Florida. You can see how drained the salt marshes are. I've never seen them this low and any remaining water was maybe a foot or two deep only because it has nowhere to drain.

From a street directly next to pine island. That sign way out there marks the border of the swimming area and the limit of where boats can go. With the gulf at 0 sea level, its up to the bottom of my chest. Its incredible to see it out so far past it. I'd estimate the edge of the water was like a 1/2 mile out.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 10, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nah. Just popped over to check it out. Its a rare thing to see in my neck of florida.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Still waiting for the eye to get up to hwy 50 before I'll start to unwind a bit. Its kinda drunkenly meandering across the north tampa area. What remains of the eye should be passing me soon though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Even though Irma doesn't really have a defined eye. There is definately a creepily still portion where it used to be in the storm. After the last several hours of howling winds and nervousness, its surreal.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Welp, alive with no damage, no power though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Doesn't sound like it :/

I've heard it could take up to a week. Bigass tree pulled downs some lines, bent poles and blew transformers. And they can start work on the lines until the tree is moved

Really hoping this is a case of underpromising and over delivering on OUC's part.

Possibly. Withlacoochee river electric quoted us a week to have power back, it just turned back on a few minutes ago. Granted, all of our power junk is all buried, so who knows.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 12, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Enourmo posted:

As a floridian I will never ever get the appeal of heated seats.

Now, chilled seats, on the other hand...

There is something amazingly decadent about driving around with the a/c cranked to max and heated seats on in florida. Don't knock it till you've tried it. Its also a great heating pad replacement after a day wandering around at a car show. :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It just depends on how much power they draw. A baby 1500 watt generator could probably run 3 small ceramic space heaters relatively easily.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

???
In Normalfornia, we drive with the heated seats on and the windows down when it's 63 at night but... huh.

Chilled seats is the one thing my M3 is missing, I had that in a rental Infiniti in Wisconsin a year ago and it was "galactic mind" level poo poo. What, your shirt isn't wrinkled to gently caress after the requisite 45 minute/45 mile drive from your lake house to civilization??

I do that too, but on a warm summers night, its still amazingly comfortable to drive like that. My only problem is it'll make me a bit too relaxed if I leave it on for more than 15 minutes and I'll start wanting to pull over and take a nap.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the gently caress? Is that a joke?

No? Its kinda hurricane season and the conditions were right for it to be absolutely brutal. We've got until the end of november before this party is over and FEMA is already having budget issues. Also plenty of places in florida have people still without power. Doesn't australia get like pacific typoons murdering them?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The jokes, they write themselves.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Specifically for a center console boat. Its pretty close to the one on my flats boat, minus the (terribly cracked) windscreen and throttle controls. And storage cubbys for radios of the "mayday halp" and music variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hugh hefner is dead. Rip. :(

• Locked thread