Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Having heard all the cars that are getting water damage totaled by Harvey, I started thinking of having a bugout plan for my car specifically. Like if I know bad weather is coming, how quickly could I store my car somewhere else.

That's an interesting thought. Trailer/drive them to a storage unit/friend's house on higher(hardened) ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I think the only disaster I'd face is a forest fire (almost happened last fall). That'd be a tough one unless you had some sort of fire-rate structure. You'd really have to remove them from the area in that case.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

My wife filled up Thursday morning with no problem, but by afternoon, her coworker was only able to get 3 gallons. There was no actual shortage, until people started panicking and made a run on the gas stations. One of my coworkers who commutes a ways rode his motorcycle to work, and then found he couldn't buy enough gas to get back home. Fortunately another coworker who lived locally gave him her lawnmower gas.
It's all just stupid, and some stations are gouging. One station actually changed the sign to like $5.99 *while a local news reporter was reporting.* Said reporter then informed the guy changing the sign that they were violating the Texas state law on price gouging. The enforcement agency for that law has been putting out advisories to report anything over $4/gallon.

Fortunately, I filled up last Friday (because I was empty), and my other car has about half a tank as well.

The best part is that most of our gas here in Dallas comes from Oklahoma.

At least you're in Texas, which to me makes sense that there would be some logistic problems. Any time there is any kind of issue, the governor here (NC, Asheville specifically) declares a state of emergency and gas prices skyrocket and people make a run on the pumps. In 24 hours the price went up 60+ cents.

Last year:
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/09/19/asheville-gas-shortage-leads-panic-people-freaking-out/90688134/

This year:
http://wlos.com/news/local/gov-cooper-declares-state-of-emergency-over-possible-gas-shortage

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

I hate plumbing.
I hate cast iron pipe.
I hate the gummy play-doh we pretend is dirt here in North Texas.
I hate tree roots that are 30 loving feet from the nearest tree.
I hate the sun.
I hate sweat.

gently caress this. I have a credit card. I'm calling a plumber, and they're going to replace this 50 year old poo poo all the way to the main line.

This is after I fought with the powered drain auger, and finally mostly cleared it with a water weenie. I noticed that the ground was damp in places I hadn't gotten the hose. Best part? It's like that under the house, too, according to a plumber that sent a camera down some years ago.

I hate my house.

Ugh, yeah. Talking about poo poo we'd outsource, this is my big one. I hate that poo poo too. Good luck with whichever direction you go. Mine would be 'nuke from orbit'.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

I saw that embedded in a Mirror article earlier, and was going to post it and say that cam was a beast while it lasted!

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Seminal Flu posted:

You know, that does match what I was feeling... it felt like it was Left Front...

The boots looked fine. How do you diagnose to find out if that is it?

See if you can grab it and move it outside of the normal plane of CV motion. In-out, and up-down left-right perpendicular to its normal rotation. There should be effectively none in any of those directions. If it was me, and I was suspect of that component I'd pull it right quick and check it out.

e: post #3 here is your instructions, apparently.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1940274-front-axle-removal.html

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

Why not live in a hot place with near by mountains? Get snow on demand!

This.
Wife wanted to move from AK because it was too cold, I grew up in Vermont so I didn't know any better. She's from the RDU - NC area, too fuckign hot and flat there. Asheville = perfect.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

mekilljoydammit posted:

I love me some Flukes. Kinda wish I could justify an 87 for personal use, though I do have one of the lesser ones.

Same. Used 87V's at previous job religiously, when I became a contractor I settled on the 115 for my needs.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ford was doing it through the 90s. '97 T-bird had the crotch vent and it was glorious.

My AW11 has these two little aimable ball warmer/coolers under the column

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

#homeownerproblems, I guess.

That doesn't sound like fun at all. The city part of that made my eye twitch a little.

Unrelated -

At what price point (if ever?) is it worth buying a b6/b7 S4 and just settling in for the long engine pull and insane timing chain r2?
Found this quasi-locally and it's talking to me....
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/20055-b7-audi-s4-sprint-blue/6299349868.html

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Beverly Cleavage posted:

never, unless someone does it for you prior to purchase. Parts alone for timing chains is 3k+ last I heard.

Go for the S5 which I tihnk had a timing belt and thus, not this problem.

edit: and there's even more that could be wrong outside of that. Run far far away. New motor is nooooot cheap.

drat, I had no idea on the replacement parts costing that much. It's just some guides, adjusters and chains - what the hell. I'm almost positive the S5 4.2 is the same motor....

Edit: It'd be a silly side project if the parts were cheaper since the B8 S4 is my daily. Even for <$5k with just pulling a motor and replacing the stuff I'd be okay with it price and time-wise.
Edit 2: http://australiancar.reviews/Audi-S5_CAUA_Engine.php - Wikipedia says the 1g S5 has the CAUA engine. I think just the 08ish and earlier A8's had the belts, as well as the RS6 4.2biturbos?

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
So glad that Audi didn't go the way Volvo did with headlight adjustment. My S60R dynamic lights were controlled by rear suspension ride-height (to the point I had to make custom bellcranks for the sensors when I lowered it), luckily the S4 has good old fashioned plastic hex screw adjusters on the dynamic lights.

• Locked thread