Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Going back to work today. Mixed feelings abound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
God we're getting older. I've got getting greying temples. I blame work.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I grow a pretty serious beard. I don't mind the grey at all, I mean, I fuckin' earned it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Geez Rhyno, good luck.

Larrymer posted:

Wife is at 32 weeks pregnant and her water broke last night while we were away from home (~2 hours away) for Labor Day weekend. She's not in labor and all is well so far thankfully. They hope to keep the baby in there as long as possible, up to 2 weeks if they can. At 34 weeks they'll induce labor but won't stop it from coming if it starts in the meantime. They want us to stay here for 2 weeks and say that it isn't safe to transfer to a hospital closer to home.

fuuuuuuuuuuck

Oh gently caress. Once the water breaks the clock starts moving hard. 34 weeks is almost close to being okayish so hopefully you guys will do all right. The hospital is unfortunately kinda right, things could be ok but they could get bad really fast and they'll need to constantly monitor your wife and the baby.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Well my Dad was going to fly up from Miami this weekend but it looks like the whole family might need to stay. At least I'll only have to do night diaper changes right.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
RE: Construction: most of coastal FL is concrete block walls with wood trussed roofing, and shingles, tar and gravel or tile. The building codes in Central FL tend to be much more lax than, say, Miami.

My folks still live just south of Miami. I think they're driving to North Carolina today/tonight. My youngest sister is staying as she's a trauma nurse in Miami-Dade.

Honestly, if I had to pick a house that wasn't a poured concrete dome to ride it out in, I'd go to theirs. Flat nail down tile, impact glass windows, clip in Aluminum shutters, and 3 feet higher than the street.

We did Andrew in 92 and had the eye wall. Long ago the decision was made of "High Cat3 or more, GTFO".

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I moved from FL to NC because I can tolerate summer as long as it's shorter than THE WHOLE loving YEAR. It's nice to have sample-strength seasons (except for summer).

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

I would rather spend the rest of my days swimming through atmosphere soup on a sidewalk than spend one more winter in Grand Rapids MI.

Yeah but you live in eastern VA now so you get season-samples too. It's the best.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
70 mile hurricane force wind field, or 140 across.

Irma is a giant ball of gently caress.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Weather Underground is good too, but NHC is the poo poo and I've been using http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/tang/tcguidance/al112017/ for models.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The latest track is not looking good for us on the west coast at all. Depending on where it turns tomorrow we may be going to a shelter.

Gotta say this really sucks, just sitting around waiting for it to make the next move is stressful to say the least.

Can you drive to and have friends in Orlando and or Daytona? :/

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hurricane winds extend out 80 miles and it's got 130mph winds. Pressure at 928 again.

The southern keys are 100% fuuuucked.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

How bad are things in the south Miami area?

Which part? I'll ask.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

Specifically just east of Miami Executive Airport, between that and Kendall, thanks. Zip code 33186.
My sister is a nurse at a hospital near there, I've asked, but it might be a bit if she's on-shift.

Actually watching video from a friend who lives near there. Looks like downed trees mostly.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 11, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Unless a tree landed on a house or you got unlucky with unprotected glass it should be ok, but power might be out for a week or two.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

ExplodingSims posted:

Being in Florida without AC suuuuuuuucks.

Yeah, it sure did :( Hope you get power back soon.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress Comcast, and gently caress Verizon too.

I just had to set up a Comcast account because they're the only internet provider in my new neighborhood.
Verizon dug handholes and put access panels in everyone's yard but apparently never ran fiber.

The only packages they offer are 100Mbps or 50Mbps. gently caress.
That means the BEST upload speed I can hope for is like 10-12Mbps.

It's gonna take 3.6 years to sync my NAS to my S3 bucket.

wow that's pick it up and take to a friends for initial sync poo poo.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah dude, glad everyone is healthy.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hondas are a pretty well known quantity, you should be able to get a Hondadata flash or something for it fairly cheap.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Forecasts from the Canadian and European model seem to be doing pretty well for 72 hours. After that it's all a guessing game.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they can "handle" my balls

I think you'd be upset with the outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
God TT, that loving sucks. :(

• Locked thread