Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Rain, snow, hail, whatever--I just want some drat precipitation to knock back these fires and this omnipresent smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Tomarse posted:

Like BraveUlysses says, buy a Pi3, get a 64gb microSD card and get RetroPi on it and then plug it into your TV/Projector. Its excellant.

You will want a USB joypad. Xbox 360 ones work well or just buy a $10 USB SNES copy controller.

I've been setting up a RetroPie mini console for the past week or so. You can actually get some pretty complete rom sets from Archive.org. Probably took me longer to trim out all the Japanese versions than anything else. But I got to play Columns last night for the first time in probably 15 years (and still suck really badly).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
So some numpty in an RV scraped the entire driver's side of my wife's car yesterday in the parking lot of her work--bigass dent in the rear door, damage to the rear quarter panel, tore off the wing mirror. Fortunately one of the regulars saw it and kept the him from driving off and we got the accident report from the highway patrol including his insurance info.

Unfortunately I know it's going to be well over $1500 worth of bodywork and the car (98 Honda Accord) is only worth about that much. I'll probably buy it back as a salvage title since it's easily drivable and I can put a new wing mirror on myself, but it means I'm shopping for a new car far sooner than I wanted to. I was really enjoying not having a car payment for the last few years.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

angryrobots posted:

Blows, but at least someone looked out for you. You should get them a gift card or a 6 pack or something.

Yeah, definitely. The woman who caught them/reported it is also on one of the Hot Shot crews so we're doubly grateful for her. My wife's planning on buying her her meal next time she comes in (my wife's second job/where this happened is a sandwich shop).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
So, since my wife's car got smacked, I got to go looking at cars today. The one that really piqued my interest is an 08 MKX for 9k; it'd be a significant "step up" from a 98 Accord but what does the AI hivemind have to say about what to look out for? I know it just got a new water pump and I can see if I can get more service records.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

everdave posted:

What are you looking for in a vehicle? Looking at a $9k 9 year old vehicle I'm kinda wanting to suggest you look into putting 5-9k down on something new in the 15k range.

The big things are AWD/4WD and either an SUV (preferable) or a truck. My real preference would be either a Subaru or Toyota but in my price range those tend to have have LOLMILES. This MKX has about 90k vs. upwards of 160k on some of the other stuff I looked at.

Like I said, this is replacing a 98 Accord and on a considerably earlier timeframe (by a good 1-2 years) than I was hoping so I'm actually going to be financing up to $10k with between 1-2k down (depends on what we end up with after the Accord's totaled out). Also, I prefer buying used vs. new.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

slidebite posted:

To be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR I would never, ever advocate cheating on your spouse, and you are a good man for not even seriously considering it, but a one night stand fling =/ divorce, marrying her and breaking your family apart. People have made bad impulsive decisions and had trysts and it doesn't necessarily mean absolute carnage and disaster.

My wife wouldn't divorce me. She would, however, castrate me with a rusty set of garden shears. I wouldn't blame her.

Changing subject: why the gently caress has nobody come up with a decent way to search for used cars within a certain area? Craigslist is full of morons who think they have gold in that thar veehickle, dealerships are also overpriced and half the time they can't find the cars listed because they've either sold them or the lot boy moved them to god only knows where, and used-car lots have websites they set up in the mid 2000s and never updated again and, again, want to bend you over a barrel. I just want to be able to go to one place plug in "2005 or later, $10k or less, SUV with AWD/4WD, a backup camera would be nice" and have it spit out 5-15 things that match those criteria.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Yeah, I've actually been using that and it works okay but it doesn't index everything, unfortunately. It does cut down some of the work, thankfully.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Seminal Flu posted:

Lol. I had my thumbnail painted with bass-boat-sized sparkles for days because my 8 year old daughter wanted me to. I guess I'm the antithesis of that dude. And I'm happy for it.

I'm not and never will be a parent but you, sir, are doing fatherhood right.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
My dentist is part of a community health clinic so they take BP when you come in for a dental visit and mark it on the shared charts with the medical side. My BP is elevated every time I see the dentist but never for my GP. I think I see a pattern.

Also on exercise chat: I am overweight and just turned 33 so back in late July/early August I decided to start exercising every morning. Until the fires here started pumping smoke into the air, I was doing a 30 minute jog around the neighborhood but then I switched to the stationary bike (at least I can watch YouTube or Netflix while I'm doing that, otherwise I'd be bored to tears). Since I started, I've lost 10 lbs.

:ssh: I still eat like poo poo, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Rascal is probably going to have to be put down :(

I'm so sorry to hear that. What happened?

• Locked thread