Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bought my first diesel today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

rdb posted:

Very nice. What is it?

1985 Daihatsu Rugger long wheelbase turbo diesel. We got them as the Rocky here in the USA but only the short wheelbase version and only the gasoline engine one. Pretty excited to diesel it up :toot:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah I know, an impending natural disaster is super funny lol

Making jokes isn't going to make the hurricane worse though, and posting on a message board online isn't going to do much to influence national policy. If it takes two massive hurricannes two weeks from each other loving up major economic zones to get people to even maybe start taking climate change seriously, so be it. Truly the only thing that will is stuff like this happening. Irma indeed gives no fucks and neither did Harvey. I want it to swing back out to the Atlantic too but sooner or later man :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah I'm in Florida also, Sarasota which is about an hour south of Applebees.
I'm liking these new Irma tracks, stay east idiot!

EDIT
My home is a concrete block house w/ aluminium roof and hurricane windows.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
My wife sold a guy an unopened gallon of distilled water for his CPAP machine because he was asking about it on the nextdoor app. He was getting people trying to sell him some for 7 dollars and up.
It was for mixing my coolant and we paid a dollar for it so no biggy but goddamn people can be animals.
He paid us $1 because that's what we paid for it.

Edit
We're still on well in our neglected slice of Sarasota where the city argues with the county on who should pay for the utility lines. We've got our water heater plus pressurized 100 gallon tank out next to the pumps.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 6, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I have come to hate the cold and I feel like it gets so cold here that it can't snow. If it's going to be miserably cold (read: below 40°) at least give us some snow so it's brighter and pretty outside

But yeah currently the plan is to sell the ion (or scrap it, who knows) and get a newish STi or Focus RS in a few years while I drive my wife's G6 and get her some type of SUV so we can fully embrace our suburban DINK destiny

Whatup I grew up in west Michigan where the winters are long and the snow is deep. "Oh another snowstorm, probably 7 inches by morning :toot: thanks lake effect" and I'll never live somewhere cold if I can help it. Irma is shaking the idea of living in Florida a little but I'm never moving back into the midwest, gently caress, I hate that place.

Speaking of Irma

Put a van where it doesn't belong, in our guest house.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Keys are a very long stretch of islands 100 miles long, Key west and the bigger islands are to the west of the predicted landfall. Most of the keys should be relatively fine if the track stays more to the east like it has been. If not then yeah it could be bad, but the track hasn't shown significant movement to the west yet.

I don't know if you've been paying attention to the tracks but Irma is not staying east. Not staying east and giving the Tampa area a real hard dunk. Things can change, of course, but things look very bad right now for the whole state. Especially unprepared Tampa type areas.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

While it is dangerous and terrible this picture is of a standard wood frame house. It doesn't matter how anchored it was, wood frame gets destroyed. This is why Georgia is already doing evacuations, their buildings aren't up to snuff.
Anyway got our house boarded up at least.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gov Rick Scott: "All Floridians should evacuate."

Lol.

A little late for that buddy, roads are packed and gas is hard to come by.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm safe and sound at home in Sarasota, fans on and AC pumping sweet cool air into our bedroom. We don't have internet but we do have electricity amazingly enough, and don't seem to have ever lost it. Google is comping everyone in the Irma zone 20 bucks on your accounts so that's nice, at least they are us.
The main reason we left home was because our back yard is flood zone b and they had set the evacuation at voluntary for that zone, so we bolted to my father in law's place. I put the Hijet on jack stands in our guest house, shoved the Acty in my mother in law's garage, wife's Tracker at her grandfather in law's garage and the sc300 braved it in a tree-free driveway.
Came home to a mess which is excellent. Everything survived, lots of limbs and oak tree parts everywhere but no damage. Took the boards off our windows, made a whole bunch of pizza rolls and shared them with our neighbors as we sat on our cool tile floor in the AC. Our house and the one at the end of the street are on a different grid so while we have power, everyone else doesn't. We gave them our batteries and things to use because sleeping without ac in Florida loving sucks and we are super fortunate to be as lucky as we were.
Never again guys, if there is a storm coming to Florida we are boarding up and getting the gently caress out, never want to experience that stress ever again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The best thing we bought for Irma was this
https://www.costco.com/Goal-Zero-Yeti-1000-Lithium-Portable-Power-Station.product.100338966.html

Essentially a huge cell phone battery charger with two AC plugs on it. When the power went out we still had essentially infinite phone charges and could run a real-deal fan. That fan was critical to our being comfortable because the AC died with the power.
Our neighbors still don't have power and we've been letting one of them take it at night with one of our fans, then bring it back the next morning so we can charge it for them for the next night. Generators are cool but this battery can run right in from of your face all night with no downside.

The bastard was really expensive though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ether Frenzy posted:

???
In Normalfornia, we drive with the heated seats on and the windows down when it's 63 at night but... huh.

Yeah we do this too. It seems like a bunch of people who don't live in Florida will automatically assume that heated seats are useless down here. They are not, when it gets cool at night having them run with the windows down is fantastic.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Isn't a 2 "hold my beer" territory?

It isn't the storm itself that's a thing, it's that Irma just followed that same path and now some punk-rear end little bitch of a storm is going to stomp on a bunch of people that haven't had time to recover yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Bladerunner 2049 has me hard as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOLKwSsFik

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Floored at how insecure a lot of dudes I personally know are, like on a vast scale that always surprises me when it hits me. I watched a guy pick up a pink stuffed animal for his daughter but held it between his thumb and forefinger like it was covered in piss and give it to her. Because it was too girly and the dude himself isn't some macho hunk dude either, and also drives a new Wrangler with the stick-on catalog bits and cruises around midwest Suburbia because of course. Getting older it is like I am discovering that most people are not at all comfortable in their own skin and it bums me out, I can't imagine carrying around baggage like that day to day regardless if it's learned behavior or not. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I work for the state and we prefer the term handi-capable / employmentally-challenged.

Speaking of work, I just went full retard and used the phrase "How now brown cow?" to an HR employee.
She's black ...and sorta fat.

How hosed am I?

lol
Probably fine if you don't draw attention to it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

FRAGILE MALE EGO

The funny thing is just how arbitrary it is; the gender and colour association is so recent and if anything the opposite has been true:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/when-did-girls-start-wearing-pink-1370097/

And check out this cute portrait

OF PRESIDENT FRANKLIN DELANO ROOSEVELT

That's what so stupid about it. The whole pink and blue thing was just hospitals assigning colors for organization in birth wards then whoops it's been that way the whole time everyone! It's just so transparently weak too, like a universal truth that men that care so much about this poo poo are the weakest, beta-ist weenies. All because they lack self-assurance and confidence to go 'yeah I like rainbows' or 'I don't know a thing' or hell even 'yeah he's attractive'. I truly can't even understand feeling like you are on trial all the time by some sort of gay scoreboard that's going to blast an airhorn in your ear the moment that your thoughts even stray slightly in the direction of 'soft/pink/cute/cuddle'. It must be awful.

everdave posted:

I won’t go into details but I had a year of hell in a previous residence. Turns out because I had the most basic poverty cable but decent internet whatever “trap” they had on the line preventing good channels blew out within hours of being replaced.

Growing up when we had AT&T@Home (like 1999 or 2000), when cable internet was really new for our area, we saw a line filter like that on our box. The installer had done a poor job, so when it rained water had gotten into the box and into that filter. The tech that came out to fix it just took it out and left, and our internet stayed up and speeds improved and suddenly we had a lot more channels. That tech was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I guess Google updated their Google Now thing because I had it set to leave me alone except for weather, bills, flights and appointments. Stuff for me, you know? Suddenly I swipe over to it to see the weather and I've got a bunch of poo poo on Trump and hurricanes and Hannity (!) of all things. I swipe them away and say I'm not interested, and they just keep coming. "No I'm not interested in Honda, no I'm not interested in Steam, no I'm not interested in Polygon" and it seems like you can no longer tell it you aren't interested in anything, now it makes it so when you say you aren't interested in a thing, it makes an option within your settings inside of Google Now that's checked off. You can bet that if Google tries to interest me in something I'll deny it on principle, and that Google was the one to suggest it in the first place.
I don't care much about the tracking because we've long, LONG past that line and like most things I just can't be assed to give a poo poo but when I browse SA on a bunch of topics, and I know for a fact that this is the only place Google is pulling information in order to try to guess what i'm into it lacks context. Yeah Lowtax made that post in GBS about video game journalism and suddenly Google thinks I'm into it? Starts shoving me a bunch of articles about inane garbage on dumpsters of websites! I didn't even go to the sites, mind, I make it a point to right-click -> incognito simply to avoid the missed context stuff that YouTube and Google constantly hit. Even Steam does it, sure I like Day of Infamy to play because it's like Day of Defeat but that doesn't mean I like World War 2 games.

Like I said I don't care much that Google is following me around but it is certainly not good enough to contextualize why I went and clicked on the things I did. Does this tie into the lowest common denominator stuff? First world problems and all but goddamn I'm bothered!

• Locked thread