Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Went to a fancy, fancy restaurant last night and god drat it was good. I've never had fine shavings of dried lamb's heart on my raw fish before, but it totally worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Considering how often the chat threads devolve into boozechat, I'll take the liberty to direct your attention to this A&T thread by a dude who owns a distillery. It has potential.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Luxrage posted:

Same here, it's a pain having to go inside for something and having to pack all the tools up in the car due to the constant stream of foot traffic of people walking around my apartment complex going to and from the Dollar General.

Amen. I'm OK'ish with my working conditions in the condo underground parking, but essentially having to lock everything up to go take a piss or look something up get old real quick.

Larrymer posted:

Wife is at 32 weeks pregnant and her water broke last night while we were away from home (~2 hours away) for Labor Day weekend. She's not in labor and all is well so far thankfully. They hope to keep the baby in there as long as possible, up to 2 weeks if they can. At 34 weeks they'll induce labor but won't stop it from coming if it starts in the meantime. They want us to stay here for 2 weeks and say that it isn't safe to transfer to a hospital closer to home.

fuuuuuuuuuuck

We're currently at week 36, and while everything is fine, I feel your worry. Hope everything will turn out OK. Friend of mine had twins that were induced at 32 weeks and they're fine and healthy now. Best of luck dude.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

Paging any Danish goons - how hosed am I if i want to import a car into Denmark? My girlfriend has gotten a job in copenhagen and I was thinking of getting us a car for there. I've heard some absolute horror stories about the registration tax there, but playing around on an import tax calculator leads me to believe that importing an E34 525i would be cheaper than actually buying one there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think one of the questions is probably from where

Very much so.

KozmoNaut posted:

Clever words.

To expand on what Kozmonaut says, it's not all that difficult, just expensive. People do it all the time, as both selection, options and rustiness are much better elsewhere (read: Germany.) One thing to note is that there is some uncertainty about the final tax, so you need to be able to stomach 10-20% more than estimated. Could also go in your favor though.

You can even have an agent help you. There are a bunch.

Do note that there's a road tax paid yearly for cars, based on (theoretical) fuel consumption. Some things, like old diesels without particulate filter, are prohibitively expensive because of this.

Finally, Copenhagen City has pretty awesome public transportation, is the perfect city for cycling, and can be a bit of a pain to navigate by car, so maybe try before you buy? Oh, and there's a couple of very decent rent-an-electric-car-by-the-minute options. If you're somewhere in the suburbs, a car makes more sense.

Edit: Kozmo, I believe options are linearly "written off" over eight years, so if the car is over that age, it doesn't matter whether it's poverty spec or loaded. It wouldn't make sense for almost new cars, then everybody would import loaded one-month old cars.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

Any chance you could take a wild guess at how much such a road tax would be? The 525i theoretically burns about 9.5L/100km.

No needs for wild guesses: that will cost you DKK3800 twice a year (roughly €1000 per year) - you can see for yourself here http://skat.dk/skat.aspx?oid=2234535

InitialDave posted:

What are the rules, though, on driving a foreign plated car? Maybe you can get away with it by just leaving the country briefly every six months or so.

I think this should be investigated. There is, at least, some sort of grace period, judging by the number of polish plated cars I see around.

• Locked thread