Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

$2500 OBO i about died laughing.

If it had a BP would be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Yall need to come to Florida, so you can experience the joy of an 80*/88% morning.

Air is supposed to be drinkable, right?

Have you seen the new track for hurricane Irma? :ohdear:

So last night I was wrapping up some maintenance on the Lexus, buncha fluid changes and while it was up on jackstands i decided to rotate the tires. On the very last loving lug nut the stud decided to strip out of the hub so now I have a spinning lug nut and cannot get the wheel off. I was ready to put it on the ground and call it a successful day god dammit, now I'm dealing with trying to break this thing loose on a day I was planning on doing nothing :argh:

Yay cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Just leave it where it is. I'll come down and get it and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Maybe you can make it just in time for the next hurricane! :toot:

Oh poo poo I was just thinking.....If the hub is stripped am I hosed? Oh god I hope just the splines on the stud stripped and not the hub.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 4, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

After fighting with it most of the day I got the loving stripped stud out. Luckily I was able to fit a long hacksaw blade through one of the wheel holes and chop it off, after breaking one blade and having to get another. Then the stud end fell into the parking brake drum of the rotor so I had to get the rotor off and the rotor was seized on the hub. No M8 bolts to break it loose, so another trip to HD and finally got the fucker out.

Thanks for loving up my weekend!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think what happened is one of the stupid lug-centric lugs got caught on the wheel because the hole in the wheel is all hosed up. My dumbass fault really, because I should have hand spun them in as far as I could instead of relying on the impact to do the work.

But yeah, we're all gonna die this time next week so who cares

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not looking good guys, Cat5 180mph :ohdear:

People already in freak out mode. All the stores around me sold out of generators so i had to order one online :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 5, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And climate change is a myth too lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter what Trump thinks, because Irma gives no fucks and a lot of people in Florida are going to be homeless by sunday if it continues on this track. There will be loss of life as well, this is a serious loving hurricane and I hope to god that it takes a hard right turn north into the atlantic for everyone's sake.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

maybe this will force america to start taking climate change seriously hahahaha

Yeah I know, an impending natural disaster is super funny lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Unfortunately though anyone not personally suffering 2 weeks after irma passes will put it out of their mind and if they didn't believe in science before they won't then. That's not a dig at Americans, that's human nature.

Exactly. And the victims will be too busy trying to survive to care.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Orlando will probably be ok, but RIP costal areas.

I don't know, if that eye is still organized and it goes over Orlando it will not be good. If it hits the coast at a 5, it will still be at a 4 or 3 over land, so basically any place near the eye is going to be in very bad shape.

I'm just hoping the eye doesn't get close enough to me to do severe damage to my house. I can deal with power outages, no biggie.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo is in Orlando as well.

I'm in St.Pete on the central west cost so it looks like we might be spared if the current spaghetti plots are accurate.

[e] this is a good twitter feed if anyone wants to keep track of it.

https://twitter.com/Adriansweather

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

Stay safe and gtfo if you can. Your house isn't worth dying for.

That's the problem, there's no easy way to get out of Florida when the entire state is going to be covered. I'd rather be at home than stuck in my car in a traffic jam, and with all the gas stations out of gas how far are you gonna make it anyway. Every single flight out is booked through sat as well.

Best thing to do if you're right in it's path is go to the nearest shelter and hope that doesn't blow down.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Even if you can afford it good luck finding a hotel. I've heard horror stories of people riding out the storm in their car during Charley. Was heading for the bay area, tons of people fled to Orlando then it took a hard right and went right over Orlando. The weather was perfect here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not quite boarding up windows yet here, it looks like we may not get the worst of it, tropical storm force winds tops hopefully.

Also my house is of brick construction so I feel pretty safe in it.

[e] Holy poo poo St.Maarten is loving destroyed

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 6, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5qYrboTUE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's looks bad, but so far none of the pics I've seen come close to Andrew.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I know someone that is a truck driver for a local grocery chain (Winn Dixie) and he said on his delivery this morning a bunch of people swarmed his truck asking for water but he had none. So the next truck pulls up and they swarm that truck, and the dumbass truck driver says yeah I have water. Huge fight ensues, cops arrived and fighting continued, arrests were made.

Every time we have a hurricane potentially coming towards us this always happens and it's getting loving old. People are freaking out a week before the storm touches land, this storm track has steadily moved east in the last few days but people are still freaking out like were gonna take a direct hit. On the current track we might get tropical storm force winds and a little rain maybe. And now the whole east coast is on alert because the forecast keeps moving east

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep, my son's school got cancelled for tomorrow and Friday, he's all loving happy about that.

Up north it was snow days, in Florida you get hurricane days :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Do you have to make them up at the end of the year, or does "state of emergency" provide proper school funding?

Depends on how much they miss I think. Last year he missed a few days due to storms and they weren't made up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I havent been able to get a status report out of there yet but luckily we haven't bought tickets yet

we wanna go somewhere really warm that isnt cabo or cancun for a little break and loving hurricanes are tearing rear end :(

Um there's a poo poo ton of islands in the Caribbean to chose from, not a big deal.

Or just go to the Keys, doesn't look like they will get affected all that much.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

...what? Keys are gonna get hit its a 400 mile diameter storm.

The severe devastating winds are maybe a 50 mile diameter at best. The further out of the center the less of a big deal, and the center is forecast to go over Miami north.

This is why everyone is freaking out because they don't understand how a hurricane works.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we just need to get the gently caress out and sit on a beach where it's 85F all the time

I realized this at a young age growing up in Wisconsin and visiting FL during the winter. I loathed the winter so here I am :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

I would love to experience an actually cold season regularly.

Lol have you never experienced it? Be careful what you wish for :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I know this is hyperbole, but really that never happens. Except with the Alligators, but they are sweethearts :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

No. Do not advise people to plan a vacation near a 400 mile wide Hurricane.

Lol don't be daft I never said he should go on vacation near a drat hurricane. He couldn't if he wanted to, mandatory evacs.

I was saying the Keys won't be destroyed and by Dec when he was taking his vacation it will be fine.

That's assuming it stays on the east bound track.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

EUR is saying it's going right over the Keys. Irma's most likely going to wipe them clean.

The Keys are a very long stretch of islands 100 miles long, Key west and the bigger islands are to the west of the predicted landfall. Most of the keys should be relatively fine if the track stays more to the east like it has been. If not then yeah it could be bad, but the track hasn't shown significant movement to the west yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Suggesting that idiot can holiday anywhere in the Keys is just the extreme of optimism that isnt backed by the severe belting Irma has given anything in it's path so far

AGAIN, I never said or suggested he holiday in the keys during a loving hurricane. What is with the reading comprehension lately, gently caress.

The Keys are not going to be "wiped clean" as you say unless the eye of the hurricane goes over every drat island. That's not going to happen.

KakerMix posted:

I don't know if you've been paying attention to the tracks but Irma is not staying east. Not staying east and giving the Tampa area a real hard dunk. Things can change, of course, but things look very bad right now for the whole state. Especially unprepared Tampa type areas.

I was responding to CT. Landfall of the eye is going to be 100+ miles east of Key West on the current track.

Yes I am aware we will get some wind and rain :)

[e] aaaand they just moved the track further west now :ohdear:

[e2] it also has been down graded to a cat4 so that's good.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 8, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

irmas still a cat5 mate. meanwhile joses been upgraded to cat4

No, it's a 4 now

I love people in other countries commenting like they get updates before us or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well clearly because they've been saying it's at 4 for awhile now? :confused:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

ive been keeping half an eye on the guardians live feed all day and haven't seen it mentioned sorry!!

Don't be sorry! The weather channel and CNN have been consistently faster than the internet at updates, the twitter feed I've been watching hasn't posted it yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NHS Miami posted:

8am: #Irma, located 450 miles SE of Miami, is forecast to maintain Category 4 strength until after landfall in South Florida

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gov Rick Scott: "All Floridians should evacuate."

Lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

On CNN there was a reporter in Miami beach going heavy on the Doom and Gloom, and some lady was jogging by with headphones on like who cares :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Exactly, and considering that only 30k of the 80k people in the Keys evacuated good luck with evacuating the entire state lol.

It's like a giant cover-my-rear end statement. But I told everyone to leave!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Wife has family in New Port Richey, just east of Tampa. Yikes.

NPR is actually further north on the west coast, and the further north the better at this point.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

I dunno man, these tracks keep shifting farther west, while the wind field remains massive. I'm not so sure this storm won't be able to keep sucking in Gulf air to sustain itself all the way up the peninsula.

The local meteorologists are saying they can't accurately forecast what it's gonna do until it makes the turn north, so it's just a waiting game.

If you're in a strong block home you're fine. Mobile home not so much.

My wife's mother got evacuated out of her mobile home she just bought, we figure it's probably going to be a total loss.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Breaking in my new generator now to have it ready :unsmith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The latest track is not looking good for us on the west coast at all. Depending on where it turns tomorrow we may be going to a shelter.

Gotta say this really sucks, just sitting around waiting for it to make the next move is stressful to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

Can you drive to and have friends in Orlando and or Daytona? :/

No, we would just head to a local shelter if it looks like it's going to be at full strength. Right now it's forecast to be at cat3 when it hits us.

Pretty much a worst case scenario for the bay area, this is gonna be bad.

• Locked thread